• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
There were are few consective years in the last decade where creativity in the industry was at an all-time low. The vast majority of the games at E3 press conferences for Sony and MS were either gory horror or first-person shooters. It was depressing.

Glad things have changed a bit.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
Another vote for brown and bloom. It's shocking how many big games from the 360/PS3 gen look hideous now because of their lighting and color choices.
A current trend im not a fan of that ill be happy that goes away is the amount of Rogue-lites in the indie scene. Unless it's Dead Cells or Hades, im usually not interested in things like permadeath or randomness in level design.
I second this. More often than not I avoid an indie game if I see that large chunks of the levels are procedurally generated. I want carefully crafted levels, dammit!

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
3D. Seemed like such a tacky fad.
I guess I'll go with this because I literally can't see the effect and it always annoyed me a bit when it was a major component of any game, which was thankfully rare.

Password systems for continuing progress instead of a save system.
That's all well and good until you have to start opening cartridges and soldering in replacement batteries.

This reminds me of the bonkers system that Bangai-O DS used to share levels. It converted the level data into an audio stream that you were intended to export to your PC by plugging a cable from your DS headphone jack to a PC mic jack to save it. Then to load the level, you had to hold the DS mic right next to whatever device you were using to play back the audio. It was simultaneously absurd and retro, but also forward-thinking, because in the process of bypassing Nintendo's first-party online infrastructure (which is now defunct on DS), it's still possible to share levels in that game today.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
In addition to what's been said here, I'll put forth one I hope goes away soon: pre-order bonuses for stuff like in-game currency (EA Sports/2K Sports), timed exclusive content (e.g. Tsushima Playstation armor sets), needless tiers (digital deluxe edition, pre-order day one legendary edition, etc)...I just want the game and if you want to sell stuff within it go to town but like...navigating the online store and seeing thirty entries for Assassins Creed or whatever because it's selling you a million different inroads into the game has gotta stop.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
There were are few consective years in the last decade where creativity in the industry was at an all-time low. The vast majority of the games at E3 press conferences for Sony and MS were either gory horror or first-person shooters. It was depressing.

Glad things have changed a bit.

heh, I feel the same

there was this really cool video about the last of us 2's combat from a guy who thought the first one was pretty meh and towards the end he talks about how gaming is in a way better place now then it was back when last of us 1 came out

I timestamped it

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not being able to respec. If a game has the potential for a lot of different builds I don't want to roll a new character for every one.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
SNES gen:

-Cranked up difficulty to encourage multiple rentals. Several of the games I played as a kid were stuck on hard mode. I believe this was also to help sell strategy guides.

I honestly don't remember any of the games I rented being like that, and I rented a huge portion of the SNES/Genesis library. About the only game that I remember that was truly hard during that period was Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I never got to play Hagane though. Looking through various "hardest SNES games ever" lists...huh, so those were supposed to be hard? Not going to say I didn't die a bunch, but pretty much all of them were beaten within the 2-3 day rental period.

360/PS3 gen:
-QTEs. I think I liked them exactly one time and that was in Shenmue when they were brand new and had a novelty factor to them. After that I found them annoying, especially when failing them resulted in instant death.

QTEs might not be nearly as ubiquitous as they once were, but they are still around. The main thing I noticed being removed from the seventh gen up until now though for the better was the whole green/brown/gray color scheme. So fucking dull and lifeless.

I'm glad colors were back in vogue for last gen because PS360 games are so goddamn ugly.

Yes. There were a few games where I feel like that lifeless look actually enhanced the atmosphere, but as a general rule, it didn't help.

Unfortunately, other things from that era carried over to last gen, and are pretty much "staples" now and done to death.

Turning everything into Call of Duty.

Well now everything is *Call of Duty, an RPG and an "open-world".
*First-person even when the series was traditionally 2D or third-person, even if it doesn't actually make the gameplay better.
Obviously hyperbole, but still somewhat true.

Last edited:

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
3 lives 3 continues. A relic from the arcade era that was transferred to home consoles. I never liked this, I always ended up dying before the ending and that was all. Very frustrating.

Oct 19, 2020
Cutting out parts of a game to sell as DLC. I don't think i've played a single Mass Effect DLC before. I've heard some of them are good too.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I hope in a few years I can say "Boy I'm glad companies (SONY) decided to stop opposing cross play/cross progression"

I love that color is a big focus in most games, and I'm very glad online passes/paid map packs are pretty much gone. I don't play many online multiplayer games that used them (don't really like competitive shooters) but it's good to know that's one less barrier should I decide to play them.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Real happy VR is dead. Pushing to make games even more unaffordable and inaccessible was (momentarily) upsetting.

VR faded out of popularity? News to me

www.roadtovr.com

Oculus Quest 2 Surpasses Original Quest in Monthly Active Users

In a look back at 2020, Facebook Reality Lab’s head Andrew Bosworth revealed that Quest 2 quietly celebrated a few new milestones shortly after its October 13th launch. In the blogpost, Bosworth says that despite the need for social distancing in 2020, it’s actually been a pretty great year for...

" shortly after its launch that Quest 2 had generated five times the number of pre-orders over the original, so Quest 2 was well positioned to be a hit. "

always amazes me how people bitch and moan about markets they had no interest in. dont worry buddy, theres plenty of games for everyone.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The trend in the 360/ps3/wii era of Japanese developers trying to make their games more western.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
WoW clones.

MMO space, while much smaller, at least has some innovation to it here and there now.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like many others, I'm glad QTEs have died down a lot.

I honestly don't remember any of the games I rented being like that, and I rented a huge portion of the SNES/Genesis library. About the only game that I remember that was truly hard during that period was Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I never got to play Hagane though. Looking through various "hardest SNES games ever" lists...huh, so those were supposed to be hard? Not going to say I didn't die a bunch, but pretty much all of them were beaten within the 2-3 day rental period.
Yeah, if anything the trend in the 16-bit era was being easier than 8-bit games.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
PS3/XBOX360:

The piss filter. Where were the colors in that gen?
Japanese studios tried to appeal to the western audience. It was awful

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Like many others, I'm glad QTEs have died down a lot.

Yeah, if anything the trend in the 16-bit era was being easier than 8-bit games.
Yeah, at least the directly comparable ones were. Megaman, Castlevania, Mario, Metroid, Zelda etc were all considerably easier in their 16-bit iterations than the 8-bit ones. I can't remember many 16-bit games that came close to Ninja Gaiden etc. Stuff like The Lion King etc was stupidly tough for a licensed Disney game though.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
3D games, and 3D in movies too i'm glad they faded out.

Online Passes, BUT we have even more predatory practices now.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Me: Tacked on multiplayer modes

*Re: Verse is announced*

Capcom: They don't call us the gaming industry's masters of horror for nothing >:) hehehe

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
The 360/PS3 cover-shooter trend that meant convenient, nonsensical and geometrically arranged waist-high cover strewn across any open area.

The assumption that many 2D series needed to be dragged into a 3D game and twisted out of the arcadey gameplay that defined them. Although you still see it now with whatever that last Contra game by Konami was, which was weird when they got Contra 4 right by outsourcing it.
To be fair I feel like the classic 2D series that failed the 3D transition - Castlevania, Mega Man, Sonic, Contra - fell hard out of relevance when compared to those that transitioned well: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, GTA. So I understand why they had to at least try.

I'm glad the stupid dual screen from the DS and 3DS era is gone.
Worked best imo when the bottom screen kept the small top screen from being cluttered with UI. Was actually really nice then.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be fair I feel like the classic 2D series that failed the 3D transition - Castlevania, Mega Man, Sonic, Contra - fell hard out of relevance when compared to those that transitioned well: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, GTA. So I understand why they had to at least try.

Worked best imo when the bottom screen kept the small top screen from being cluttered with UI. Was actually really nice then.
Yeah, fair point, I can see why the felt the need to do so at the time. It's strange that 3D entries were followed by decent 2D entries in most of those cases though, mostly on portables though.

Dec 21, 2017
Online Pass

original.jpg
That's what came to mind for me. I'm happy that is gone.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
That post-Metal Gear Solid era where it seemed like every other game had an stealth stealth section crowbarred into it

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Bloom and bump mapping looked futuristic in 2005, but looked ancient already by 2007 or so. There are some mid-gen PS2 games that look better to modern eyes than the late-gen Xbox and early Xbox 360/PS3 games people were drooling over. It's like devs were super excited to finally approximate 90s era CGI animation, without considering it actually looked kinda bad.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Password systems for continuing progress instead of a save system. Continue system where if you run out of continues (a limit on how many times you can Game Over) you have to start the game all over from the beginning.
I don't get this.
Password systems were a result of cost measures.
Having saves meant you had to save batteries in your cart and increased the cost of the product.
As soon as saves were externalized to other parts of the console, passwords basically disappeared.
I don't think you can find any password to save progress on playstation for example.
the weirdest thing was Nintendo somehow mandating the use of the shitty mem card slot for 3rd parties.
N64 mem cards were extremely shitty and prone to corruption so you could lose ALL your progress across multiple games because a game corrupted your card.
Shadowgate 64's green ring is infamous among my group because we lost a lot of fucking progress when the game bugged out after using that ring (which kills the player btw).

If anything I kind of prefer passwords in that at least if you were stuck in some place you couldn't progress, you could just input the code for the next level and be done with it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
PS1 had a handful of games with password saves (Twisted Metal, Gex, Alien Trilogy) but it was on its way out.
I totally forgot about these games.
Also with time it became highly impractical to save progress on a password.
It was never really a consideration for anything close to RPGs, I mean unless you wanted something like the infamous Golden Sun password...
hqdefault.jpg

As games became more complex it never made sense to not find a way more reasonable than using passwords.
I still say that random action games working on passwords was better than having saves.