• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It could be related to gameplay, aesthetics, music, anything. I'll start:

SNES gen:

-Cranked up difficulty to encourage multiple rentals. Several of the games I played as a kid were stuck on hard mode. I believe this was also to help sell strategy guides.

360/PS3 gen:

-QTEs. I think I liked them exactly one time and that was in Shenmue when they were brand new and had a novelty factor to them. After that I found them annoying, especially when failing them resulted in instant death.

What about you?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
from the ps360 gen, excessive bloom, and tacked on multiplayer modes for single player games that clearly didn't need it.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
d022d19e832e143c1d80236e24e20f9b--dorian-gray-sherwin-williams-living-room-light-grey-sherwin-williams.jpg

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely don't miss the brown and bloom look of the 360/PS3 era. Why the fuck was everything glowing and muddy? What a horrible aesthetic trend. The visual equivalent of a peanut butter and broccoli sandwich.

Most of the trends that got annoying at the time, I wouldn't mind seeing more often today. Who doesn't want some more mascot platformers? Why not do some more WW2 games? Some over the top arcade sports games would be nice, I think!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Glad the online pass stuff and fracturing communities over paid map packs have gone away.

Now we just need cross-platform play to be the norm.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Put me on the anti-bloom train. So many games during the ps360 era just looked washed out and had faded colors. Everything was just so muddy and unappealing. I love that we're getting a decent number of games with vivid color schemes and cartoony graphics these days.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
Motion Control from the Wii era

I guess aside from VR, its use has died down from back then. It's integrated a bit to games, at least it is not the primary (and in some cases the only) control.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad hit boxes. For the most part, modern games seem to have it relatively down vs PS2 era when I can't actually tell what weapon range is.

looking at you god of war spike tower thing

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Motion Control from the Wii era

I guess aside from VR, its use has died down from back then. It's integrated a bit to games, at least it is not the primary (and in some cases the only) control.

Everybody desperately trying to get a piece of that Wii audience truly was a peculiar time.

Jan 10, 2018
Limited set of continues and then your progress is wiped. As a person who hates replaying a lot of content this is the best change ever.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i'm glad the "if you pick this difficulty, we won't let you change it!!" seems to be dead

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Agree with online pass/tacked on multiplayer, was just the worst during the latter PS3/X360 years (almost said last gen lol).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Password systems for continuing progress instead of a save system. Continue system where if you run out of continues (a limit on how many times you can Game Over) you have to start the game all over from the beginning.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
The re-emergence of 2d games,after they were relegated to portable consoles for years since the mid-90s.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I'm not entirely sure when the problem disappeared but games have are so much better about checkpoints now. It's very rare now that I come across a game that makes me pointlessly lose significant progress due to losing a boss encounter.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The 360/PS3 cover-shooter trend that meant convenient, nonsensical and geometrically arranged waist-high cover strewn across any open area.

The assumption that many 2D series needed to be dragged into a 3D game and twisted out of the arcadey gameplay that defined them. Although you still see it now with whatever that last Contra game by Konami was, which was weird when they got Contra 4 right by outsourcing it.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Tacked on muliplayer to some extent. Lol i see Capcom is still trying to make RE jump on that train though, like when will they ever give up with that?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
QTE's, the janky motion controls from PS3 games, and online passes / forced multiplayer modes attached to single player games. Good riddance.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Military shooters that were mostly in shades of brown and gray

Games that go overboard with tutorials and hand holding. I think this started in the PS2/GameCube era and started to die out in the PS4/One X era. Alot of big games are still like this, but I feel they are getting better respecting the player and not holding your hand until the end.

A current trend im not a fan of that ill be happy that goes away is the amount of Rogue-lites in the indie scene. Unless it's Dead Cells or Hades, im usually not interested in things like permadeath or randomness in level design.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sony and EA trying to push £10 Online Passes. Mega gross. Glad that the market rejected that.

I'm still one bronze trophy away from the platinum for Resistance on Vita because of this bullshit!

ps4-online-pass-gone-515x277.jpg

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toys to life being (Mostly) gone is something I appreciate.

Still props up every once in awhile (Looking at you Nintendo) but at least major features aren't being locked behind them anymore.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The PS3 era Color Pallete and Bloom, fuck that shit, makes most games age worse visually than some PS2 stuff

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad colors were back in vogue for last gen because PS360 games are so goddamn ugly.