• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Multiple refresh across multiple monitors works fine with xorg + nvidia, I'm doing it now with a 60hz ultrawide LG and a 144hz 1080p ASUS. I'm curious if it's a gnome thing, since I'm running KDE, but it may be that it's forcing the monitors to sync to a specific monitor. I know you can set that in the nvidia-settings panel under xserver xvideo settings. It might be worth turning off gsync to see if it uses the right refresh on each monitor, too.

Doing a brief search I'm finding a bug report of something like this (where it's a mixed environment and it defaults to the lowest common refresh, in this case 60) with mutter in general and the fix, from what I can see, still not fully merged. The workaround was to force the setting through config files rather than the UI.

the botanist

Jun 18, 2018
Just want to add one thing regarding gsync:
As far as I know, xorg variable refresh rate (vrr = gsync / freesync) does not work with more than one monitor connected. So you have to either settle with one monitor plus VRR or multiple monitors minus VRR. It's possible Nvidia has some hacks in their driver making it work nonetheless, but from the xorg side of things it is not supported.

Currently the only way to get VRR support with more than one monitor is using the latest release of sway (tiling window manager / compositor for wayland). Possibly other wlroots based compositors (e.g. wayfire which is stacking) share this trait but I haven't checked.
Personally I have never managed to get comfortable with using a tiling WM, so it's kind of hard to recommend. Also, getting such a setup up and running requires a lot more manual setup than your usual desktop environment like KDE Plasma or Gnome.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm waiting for these pso2 protondb reports to roll in. If I'm understanding correctly, and uses an anticheat called gameguard.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I was worried it was using something like GG. It's one of those ones you probably won't see working for a while unless there's some way to get them all working and not being flagged as a cheater.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Awwwweeee poopy.

Any neat alternatives? I only noticed it at the xbox conference and took a liking. Never played pso.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
After 2 years, CrossCode game pad issue seems to not still be addressed properly on Linux. Incredibly infuriating.

Also, my buddy convinced me to install a win 10 partition for PSO2. Honestly, it isn't very fun. Feels like same ole Dreamcast PSO. I got tired of it after 2 hours.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I have not searched through every single page, but has anyone encountered Steam just not recognizing controllers. I have tried my 8Bitdo SNES PRo in Directinput mode, Xinput mode, as well as the Xbox One S Controller. Steam seems to see them, but no game will work with it. I tried the flatpak version as well as the deb version of Steam. From what i read, the flatpak version does not have udev access, but unrestricting it using flatpak --user override --allow=bluetooth com.valvesoftware.Steam but it still does not do anything. Very frustrating.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
When you say deb version, do you mean directly from Valve's website or through your package manager? I heard that it was recommended not to do get directly from the website since it missed some dependencies or something, but I don't use a distro that uses deb so I haven't tried.

Anyway, did you already enable 'generic gamepad configuration support' in Steam? That's the only thing that's coming to mind for me.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
When you say deb version, do you mean directly from Valve's website or through your package manager? I heard that it was recommended not to do get directly from the website since it missed some dependencies or something, but I don't use a distro that uses deb so I haven't tried.

Anyway, did you already enable 'generic gamepad configuration support' in Steam? That's the only thing that's coming to mind for me.

I got it through the package manager. Both the deb version and the flatpak version.
I had not tried generic controller support, but unfortunately, the same result with games not recognizing the controller at all.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Though there's no reason DirectInput shouldn't work, I've had better luck with 8bitdo devices through Xinput mode. If you force Xinput mode, make the device is showing up correctly (in a terminal use 'lsusb' ) and then check to see if it's using the xpad driver (lsmod | grep xpad).

I'd also just stick to the repo version rather than the flatpack version, just for the sake of sanity.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I have not searched through every single page, but has anyone encountered Steam just not recognizing controllers. I have tried my 8Bitdo SNES PRo in Directinput mode, Xinput mode, as well as the Xbox One S Controller. Steam seems to see them, but no game will work with it. I tried the flatpak version as well as the deb version of Steam. From what i read, the flatpak version does not have udev access, but unrestricting it using flatpak --user override --allow=bluetooth com.valvesoftware.Steam but it still does not do anything. Very frustrating.
See if installing steam-devices and restarting does anything. Should be in the whatever the software center is called if you're on a Debian derivative.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
So, I purchased Control. When I play in Offline mode,Control does not work. I can not get past the title screen via KB or PS4 Pad.
Edit: It also does not load my preferences I had saved before hand. Deciding if I should refund it.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try wasteland 3 on Linux? Might get the steam version if it works, even if I have gamepass.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using Ubuntu 20.04. How do you access the system settings? The "settings" entry from the drop-down menu that is underneath the wifi/volume/battry icons just opens some window for simple settings of the apps that I have installed. That's not what I want. I want the equivalent of the control panel from Windows. I've googled and there is one for Ubuntu, complete with entries such as "Appearance", "Keyboard Layout" and "Language Support". I just can't find it right now and its driving me furious.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using Ubuntu 20.04. How do you access the system settings? The "settings" entry from the drop-down menu that is underneath the wifi/volume/battry icons just opens some window for simple settings of the apps that I have installed. That's not what I want. I want the equivalent of the control panel from Windows. I've googled and there is one for Ubuntu, complete with entries such as "Appearance", "Keyboard Layout" and "Language Support". I just can't find it right now and its driving me furious.
Assuming you are where I think you are, click the arrow pointing left on the top bar of the settings window?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is kind of a Gnome thing, anyway. The quick user/system menu on the top right isn't meant for accessing this fully. If you want settings you can hit the Super (Windows) key and just type Settings or System (settings) and it'll pop up what you want. You can do this for anything you've got installed and for files it has indexed.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I had a spare Ryzen APU lying around so I made this dumb micro gaming PC running Pop!OS.
30SSd2Z.jpg

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
What are the implications of this?
It lets you assign GPU resources to a virtual machine in a similar manner as you do with RAM, basically a slider for "let this VM use 20% of my GPU" instead of needing an entirely separate card for pass through. Greatly reduces need for dual-booting if you can assign GPU to a VM momentarily.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
It lets you assign GPU resources to a virtual machine in a similar manner as you do with RAM, basically a slider for "let this VM use 20% of my GPU" instead of needing an entirely separate card for pass through.
Wow that would be amazing!

Nvidia is killing it, I'm still waiting to see AMD's output before I upgrade my 1060 because I'd like having opensource drivers rather than not.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that would be amazing!

Nvidia is killing it, I'm still waiting to see AMD's output before I upgrade my 1060 because I'd like having opensource drivers rather than not.
They've both Nvidia and AMD had this feature for years now, but only enabled it on their Quadro / FirePro or whatever the server / workstation variants are called. You can imagine, it's the kind of feature cloud providers must have. And a good example coming up would be MS's plans to have a single XSX serve as 4x 1080p XB1 games on xcloud. It'll be amazing if we can start toying around with such things ourselves.

I hope this encourages a feature war, and AMD enable their SR-IOV too in consumer grade products - complete with wonderful open source driver!

Nov 4, 2017
I had a spare Ryzen APU lying around so I made this dumb micro gaming PC running Pop!OS.
30SSd2Z.jpg
That is beautiful and I appreciate you.

I've been playing Crusader Kings 3 non-stop since Thursday, it's a fantastic Linux release and works perfectly on my desktop (UbuntuDDE 20.04) and my Laptop (Ubuntu Budgie 18.04, it's a Core i3 7300 and 8gb RAM system, it has a separate GPU but I just used the Intel HD). <3 Paradox. It's great to see such seamless Linux support.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
It lets you assign GPU resources to a virtual machine in a similar manner as you do with RAM, basically a slider for "let this VM use 20% of my GPU" instead of needing an entirely separate card for pass through. Greatly reduces need for dual-booting if you can assign GPU to a VM momentarily.
That would be great. I currently have two cards in my machine, but it's kind of annoying because the fans go wild when a VM isn't up because the driver for the 970 is 'fake' on the host.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Anyone know how to set xset r 66 to automatically occur on boot?

I hate having to type it every time I boot up just to get repeating delete on caps lock.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Vega 64 now, and it works great on Linux. I'm tempted to buy an Nvidia 3080. Are there any major drawbacks to making the switch? I'm OK with the closed-source driver. I use i3wm on ubuntu.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Depending on the distribution, some of them won't block incompatible kernel updates, I think.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I have a Vega 64 now, and it works great on Linux. I'm tempted to buy an Nvidia 3080. Are there any major drawbacks to making the switch? I'm OK with the closed-source driver. I use i3wm on ubuntu.
If you do rolling kernels just make sure you install a DKMS package for the nvidia driver so it makes the module for the new kernel. also has the side benefit of not having to download and cache yet another package with no changes other than the module itself.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only drawback from a usability standpoint I can think of is incomplete wayland support. Xwayland clients, which include basically every steam game, do not have hardware acceleration under wayland when using the closed source drivers. It shouldn't really affect you since you are on i3.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Vulkan and driver support for ray tracing is nominally there. The missing piece appears to be a DX12-Vulkan layer which VKD3D is supposed to be. Might be a while before games are playable through that though.

Sounds a bit far off from proper support. I was thinking for a while that anti-cheat stuff was the big thing to overcome at the moment, but DX12 and new features have been creeping up as new things that Linux would be missing.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
If you do rolling kernels just make sure you install a DKMS package for the nvidia driver so it makes the module for the new kernel. also has the side benefit of not having to download and cache yet another package with no changes other than the module itself.
The closed-source driver is the major drawback. Proceed at your own peril.
The only drawback from a usability standpoint I can think of is incomplete wayland support. Xwayland clients, which include basically every steam game, do not have hardware acceleration under wayland when using the closed source drivers. It shouldn't really affect you since you are on i3.

Thanks all! I plan on holding out for the AMD announcement, but will likely end up with a 3080.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Can someone tell me how to update a snap package when I have the file?
Sudo snap refresh discord
It does not work since I guess it has not updated in the repository yet
Discord won't open and I don't want to reinstall it again separately.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a github issue for it, opened 1 hour ago. Maybe use the web client until the update is pushed on snapcraft? The last update on the store was on September 4th, so it's still maintained.
github.com

discord has updated to 0.0.12 · Issue #87 · snapcrafters/discord

i have reopened my #83 pullrequest in an attempt to bump the build. the build succeeded this time in contrast to the last time
Edit: Oops, probably misread that, but yeah the --dangerous flag is for local snap files that aren't from the snapcraft store

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Could you try a
Bash:
$ snap install --dangerous /path/to/snap

I'm guessing you have to use install to update from file, but I'll glance through the man and archwiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snap

You should also try updating the Discord snap from the --beta channel or something like that:

Code:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man1/snap.1.html

--edge Install from the edge channel

--beta Install from the beta channel

--candidate
              Install from the candidate channel

--stable
              Install from the stable channel

So sudo snap refresh --beta discord or uh you might not need sudo. Sorry I'm actually someone who tries to avoid Snap if I can. I've been playing with Nix/Guix stuff instead. I forget if Snap allows you to completely forget about permissions. If it does, ditch the sudo.

Oh and if the update doesn't work, just uninstall the snap and install the new one. It's just Discord, so it shouldn't lose anything right? Internally, Snap is deleting the old one anyways. If it doesn't work that's usually the best bet.

Last edited: