• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Controversial opinion, but this might be the final nail in the coffin for native Linux gaming.

Anti-cheat in general is definitely one of the big things. It seems like Battleye anti-cheat was also mentioned in the latest WINE update, so there might be some progress with that too.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I'd say WINE/Proton has put native Linux games on the back burner rather than in a coffin. In the short term Linux will lose out on native ports, but something like Proton can expand user share which would be more effective in getting devs to make native ports than a browbeating from a handful of Linux diehards.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
I'd say WINE/Proton has put native Linux games on the back burner rather than in a coffin. In the short term Linux will lose out on native ports, but something like Proton can expand user share which would be more effective in getting devs to make native ports than a browbeating from a handful of Linux diehards.

I've read this for two years now, since Proton release, and there han't been any significant shift in the market.
It's clear Proton has made life a bit better for users already on Linux, but has not provided anything compelling enough for ppl to move to Linux.
The only clear trend is multiple companies that were suporting Linux with native versions have since stopped doing so.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I've read this for two years now, since Proton release, and there han't been any significant shift in the market.
It's clear Proton has made life a bit better for users already on Linux, but has not provided anything compelling enough for ppl to move to Linux.
The only clear trend is multiple companies that were suporting Linux with native versions have since stopped doing so.
It kinda sucks but even if Linux market share never picks up having more games available to play on the platform outweighs missing out on some native ports for me. It can be argued that Proton isn't 'real' Linux gaming support, but judging by all the outdated, inferior, broken and straight up abandoned native Linux ports I've dealt with over the years we never had that anyway.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
If making your game work in Proton comes in lieu of a native port that is poorly supported, or not at all, I'll take the Proton work.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Especially when we see some devs actually supporting proton by making the work easier in the proton side by doing bug fixes, sending early builds to better support it on day one etc.

But I am still very grateful for the good ports, Half-Life Alyx and other Valve games in general are running very well and I am grateful it is not running through a compatibility layer, I feel like some indie games could get away with only supporting proton, but I just bought Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity 2 and I hope that the native port is good. It is still an incentive for me when I want to buy a game.

The combination of the two just makes it a very compelling gaming environment, I do not think one will necessarily out-kill the other.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Proton is attempting to solve the chicken and the egg problem desktop Linux has always had.

Developers don't port to Linux because there is not enough of a user base there to make it worthwhile. Users don't use Linux because the software they want isn't there.

Proton helps in the immediate term and, theoretically if Linux ever reaches critical mass where it makes sense for developers to do native ports, it can always still be used for legacy software.

The current downside of incentivizing developers not to do native ports is worth it to grow the number of people able to stay in Linux full time.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
It kinda sucks but even if Linux market share never picks up having more games available to play on the platform outweighs missing out on some native ports for me. It can be argued that Proton isn't 'real' Linux gaming support, but judging by all the outdated, inferior, broken and straight up abandoned native Linux ports I've dealt with over the years we never had that anyway.

Sure it's better than not having it.
But if it's not causing Linux market to pick up and instead alienating the few that actually supported the platform, I'm not sure it's worth.
Linux will be stuck with a half baked solution forever.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Sure it's better than not having it.
But if it's not causing Linux market to pick up and instead alienating the few that actually supported the platform, I'm not sure it's worth.
Linux will be stuck with a half baked solution forever.
I don't understand the pessimism. Steam's Linux user share has been growing through what's basically been word of mouth since Proton is still a work in progress and not something Valve actively promotes on a wide scale yet. I think Valve has learned their lesson from the SteamOS launch and are waiting until Linux gaming is bulletproof before bringing it to prime time.

And if it doesn't work out then Linux users just go back to begging for scraps like we always have.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't really care about native linux ports if proton works fully. It seems semantic at that point; it's literally only a positive. It makes Linux an even more powerful system than it already is.

Proton is what got me to switch to having a dedicated Linux machine.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
If Linux were to suddenly take of and become popular (it won't though) I'd switch to BSD or something. A large part of the appeal of using a smaller platform is that you don't have to deal with the problems that come with using what everyone else is using, most notably being the target of every grifter out there. Linux for me is peace of mind. I don't have feel like the only thing keeping me safe if my eternal vigilance and mistrust of every website I visit, every piece of software I want to use, and even the operating system itself.

Linux is small and that's good. Let's hope it can continue to improve but never explode in popularity.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
As a long time primary Linux user I'm actually fine with wine and proton over native applications. Linux and its whole environment are a constantly moving target which is no issue at all as long as everything is open source. With commercial software such as games that's obviously not the case, so every native release is in danger of losing compatibility as time goes by. Having an intermediary layer like wine and proton allows for adaptions and optimizations even after support for a closed source software stopped.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
This is huge, I followed their progress on their discord the last few days, Guy (from Codeweavers) and Blitz (the guy who posted the tweet) are the best.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Are Chrome books all that popular? I never really hear about them.
I know that they are killing it in the education market and that they are significant in the US.

It just became a great solution for the ones wanting a cheap laptop without the Windows bloat, I know some people in my entourage using Chrome OS (either exclusively or in complement to another device).

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I know that they are killing it in the education market and that they are significant in the US.

It just became a great solution for the ones wanting a cheap laptop without the Windows bloat, I know some people in my entourage using Chrome OS (either exclusively or in complement to another device).

They mention using Linux virtual machines, and Borealis being for that; does that suggest that Steam is going to be usable for both x86 and ARM Chrome books?

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They mention using Linux virtual machines, and Borealis being for that; does that suggest that Steam is going to be usable for both x86 and ARM Chrome books?
I haven't looked much into it, but Borealis seems to be just a transition from a debian base to an ubuntu base for the linux apps environment, so I would imagine no.

Deleted member 11479

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kernel 5.8 RC1 is now out and I felt like living dangerously, so of course I installed it. No noticable improvements for my 5700 XT to report. Ran the Tomb Raider benchmark a handful of times and the average fps was maybe 0.5 higher than with kernel 5.7. Maybe 5.9 will bring more improvements with its Sienna Cichild (rumoured "big Navi") support in a couple of months time.
Just a sidenote, upgrading Mesa stack from 20.0.4 (default for Ubuntu 20.04) to 20.0.8 (now in official Ubuntu repos) gave me another 1.5-2 fps on average in Tomb Raider benchmark. A decent 1.5% OpenGL performance gain.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Someone running Apex Legends with the experimental EAC patch in WINE:

Actually gets high fps, although stuttering was apparently a problem.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
So, I recently discovered Project Gorgon. If you miss old RPGs, give it a shot. No hand holding. No quest markers, whip out a note pad and take notes kind of fun. Bonus, Linux Native :)

store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Project: Gorgon on Steam

Project: Gorgon is a fantasy MMORPG that allows you to forge your own path through exploration and discovery.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long it will take for cyberpunk to work when that comes out.

Which got me to think, does Ray tracing work in wine?

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how long it will take for cyberpunk to work when that comes out.

Which got me to think, does Ray tracing work in wine?
Ray Tracing on Windows heavily relies on DXR and thus DX12, the folks developing vkd3d-proton are planning on doing this but it is still on hold right now (there is much bigger fish to fry right now).

You can track the issue here for future reference: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/issues/154

The cool thing with some of the new DX12 exclusive games is that it puts this work in the spotlight as it will continue to evolve (right now performance remains an issue, I get about 60% of the performance I would get on Windows w/ native DX12), although having a Vulkan backend would've been nice and give a much more streamlined experience for us.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Edit:i had a lot of trouble writing this yesterday. Happens to me sometimes. I tried to make it more readable.

Late to the party on this conversation. Re: The relationship between proton and Native ports.

The way I've always seen it, proton usage discouraging native ports (to whatever degree that may be happening) is a good tradeoff.

As a user:

Of course libraries grow all the time, but the subjective experience browsing and shopping new games is a world apart from what it was two years ago. I just bought like 13 games or something in the sale and 100% of them worked. Only one did I inspect on protondb, first. The others, I just sort of guessed would work. You could say I was feeling confident.

I suppose what I'm trying to say here is, it effectively feels like getting native support when considered from the end user; without all the speculating and toiling we do. If I compare this to other stepchild platforms I've liked in the past, it feels similar when the games finally start coming. It's great to have more games and it's fun to see the growth. I think the end-user experience is somewhat like native support and so far its been far more effective at making more games available.

From a AAA developer point of view:

These games are hardly stable when they ship anyway LOL. All the resources are stretched, and having this other very small platform to consider and support is a tough sell in that situation.

Indie games can get Linux versions more often because the team can decide for themselves if they think it's worth it. And getting a Linux version of a simple game built out of something like Unity is something one person or a few people can handle.

You know what a couple people on a aaa development team can handle, and decide to do themselves? They can test their game on proton, and if there's something keeping it from working, they can maybe look into it. I think that's a much more likely way to get a AAA games working than waiting for someone to do a linux port of it.

We did native games for a minute there. It was getting better all the time, but it was just okay. It was getting better slowly and sometimes didn't seem to improve much at all. The user base isn't there. Its a whole different world with proton because the userbase is less important that way. We get more games all the time.

Linux desktops are getting really nice now. Having a steam library that is adding new, high-profile games on a regular basis is a tremendous compliment to that.

With the game library, general software selection (krita i love you marry me) and desktops improving, thats a strong foundation. A foundation to grow on, and maybe incentivize some more thorough proton testing. And maybe one day, native ports that's larger games.

And lastly, I like that the whole thing doesn't depend on usership exploding or getting to some critical mass. I would be fine with slow steady growth from here. I have a feeling that we'll be getting some major boosts and bumps along the way, though.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Late to the party on this conversation. The relationship between proton and Native ports.

The way I've always seen it, proton usage discouraging native ports -to whatever degree that may be happening- is a good tradeoff.

As a user: of course libraries grow all the time, but the subjective experience browsing and shopping new games is a world apart from what it was two years ago.

I just bought like 13 games or something in the sale and 100% of them worked. Only one did I inspect on protondb first. The other games, I just sort of guessed would work. You could say I was feeling confident.

I suppose what I'm trying to say here is, it's effectively feels like getting native support when considered from the end user; without all the speculating and toiling we do. If I relate this to other stepchild platforms I've liked in the past, it feels similar when the games finally start coming first slow and then faster. It's great to have more games and it's fun to see the growth. So yeah I think the end-user experience is somewhat like native support and so far its been far more effective at making more games available.

From a AAA developer point of view: these games are hardly stable when they ship anyway LOL. All the resources are stretched, and having this other very small platform to consider and support is a tough sell in that situation.

Indie games can get Linux versions more often because the team can decide for themselves if they think it's worth it. And getting a Linux version of a simple game built out of something like Unity is something one person or a few people can handle.

You know what a couple people on a triple A development team can handle, and decide to do themselves? They can take a look at how the game is working on proton, and maybe if there's something keeping it from working, they can maybe look into it. I think that's a much more likely way to get a AAA games working than waiting for someone to do a linux port of it.

We did native games for a minute there. It was getting better all the time, but it was just okay. It was getting better slowly and sometimes didn't seem to improve much at all. The user base isn't there. Whole different world with proton because the userbase is less important that way. We get more games all the time.

Linux desktops are getting really nice now. Having a steam library that is adding new, high-profile games on a regular basis is a tremendous compliment to that.

With the game library, general software selection (krita i love you marry me) and desktops improving, thats a strong foundation. A foundation to grow on, and maybe incentivize some more thorough proton testing. And maybe one day, native ports that's larger games.

And lastly, I like that the whole thing doesn't depend on usership exploding or getting to some critical mass. I would be fine with slow steady growth from here. It's already very nice. I have a feeling that we'll be getting some major boosts and bumps along the way, though.
I agree with all this. And I'll add, there's no way we'd be getting any progress on EAC etc. without the Proton momentum.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So, is Steam OS still a thing? Does it support Proton automagically?
SteamOS hasn't been updated in a long time, so a lot of libraries are likely out of date on it. It has Steam preinstalled and that's the meat and potatoes for Proton, really, but you'd be better served setting up something like Manjaro and installing Steam there.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Looks like Valve has hired another software engineer to work on Linux graphics driver stuff.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, someone here can help me out? I installed the latest PopOs, Nvidia driver 450.57 for 1080 Ti. I have an issue with multiple monitors and refresh rate. I have 3 monitors. 2 of them are just regular 60 hz 1080p monitors, with the third monitor being a g-sync 144hz 1080p monitor. When I plug in the two 60 hz monitors, my 144hz monitor drops to 60 hz and g-sync is disabled, even though it shows as 144 hz and g-sync turned on in Nvidia X Server. Anyone know the fix?

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe, someone here can help me out? I installed the latest PopOs, Nvidia driver 450.57 for 1080 Ti. I have an issue with multiple monitors and refresh rate. I have 3 monitors. 2 of them are just regular 60 hz 1080p monitors, with the third monitor being a g-sync 144hz 1080p monitor. When I plug in the two 60 hz monitors, my 144hz monitor drops to 60 hz and g-sync is disabled, even though it shows as 144 hz and g-sync turned on in Nvidia X Server. Anyone know the fix?
Did you check under the gnome settings?

0ULuarU.png

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. It will state it's 144 hz, but it isn't.
I wonder if it's not a hardware/bandwidth thing? Like you know some GPUs have specs defining how many monitors they can run at the same time @ a certain res and refresh rate.
I know my setup can handle one 1080p@60 with a 1440p@165 but I think I read that having the second monitor would actually disable Gsync.

What happens if you only have one 1080p monitor running alongside your high refresh rate monitor instead of two?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's not a hardware/bandwidth thing? Like you know some GPUs have specs defining how many monitors they can run at the same time @ a certain res and refresh rate.
I know my setup can handle one 1080p@60 with a 1440p@165 but I think I read that having the second monitor would actually disable Gsync.

What happens if you only have one 1080p monitor running alongside your high refresh rate monitor instead of two?
I don't have that issue with Windows 10. Same thing when just plugging in one other monitor and not the other two.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed that behavior on Gnome Shell before. Actually even Windows window manager had a similar issue with multiple monitors which was fixed recently.