• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Has anyone been playing the new Terraria update? I hadn't had any problems with it until yesterday on the most recent patch 1.4.0.3. My computer completely froze twice, so I kept htop running on another screen to see if it was a RAM issue, and sure enough RAM usage was skyrocketing while Terraria was running, to the point I had to quit the game for fear of freezing again. I'm curious to see if anyone else has seen this, or if someone could point me to logs or how to better parse what htop is telling me. My overall RAM usage was nearly maxing out, but it didn't look like the Terraria processes RAM was increasing at the same rate (yet the issue clearly stopped when Terraria quit). This was on Ubuntu 20.04.
How much RAM are you running?
Are you using swap? If so, how much? Is it file-based or partition-based?
What does free -h tell you for your memory before running Terraria and what does it say while running it?

If you sort top or htop by memory usage, what does it say is using memory? Are you seeing swap (if you have it) fill up as quickly?

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, GTA5 on EGS works for me too. Some elements flicker at times, mostly the sky, but beyond that it seems fine. It's possible that some graphical settings or playing around with different versions of Wine and Proton would fix it. No stuttering like I've seen mentioned on protondb. A bit of a hassle to get it up and running, but worth it if you really wanna play GTA.

Only played an hour or so, but I might be done. I don't think if I have it in me to conform to Rockstar's ideas for how games control and missions are designed, and watching the Digital Foundry video on the apparently fantastic Saints Row 3 remaster doesn't make it any easier. Exclusive to EGS apparently? Great.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
How much RAM are you running?
Are you using swap? If so, how much? Is it file-based or partition-based?
What does free -h tell you for your memory before running Terraria and what does it say while running it?

If you sort top or htop by memory usage, what does it say is using memory? Are you seeing swap (if you have it) fill up as quickly?

- 13.9 GiB
- Yes, 2.0 GiB. I honestly don't remember, but I'm pretty sure file based? I think that's what comes on newer installs?
- Sorting my memory usage shows Terraria at the top. Swap memory does eventually completely fill up, but this time it seemed to use a majority of RAM, then all of swap, then the rest of RAM.

I took some free -h logs as you recommended, but didn't get one towards the end as the computer froze again.

Before playing:
Code:
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           13Gi       2.8Gi       2.6Gi       249Mi       8.4Gi        10Gi
Swap:         2.0Gi       2.0Mi       2.0Gi

Occasionally taking additional measurement. I was probably playing for 10-15 max.
Code:
Mem:           13Gi       8.9Gi       3.9Gi       544Mi       887Mi       4.0Gi
Swap:         2.0Gi       1.3Gi       753Mi

Mem:           13Gi       8.9Gi       3.0Gi       1.3Gi       1.8Gi       3.1Gi
Swap:         2.0Gi       1.9Gi       123Mi

Mem:           13Gi       9.1Gi       2.5Gi       1.6Gi       2.1Gi       2.6Gi
Swap:         2.0Gi       2.0Gi       0.0Ki

Eventually all of Mem did eventually get used up as well.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Important in what way? Still new to linux.
It's important because before/currently your shaders compile while the game is running and they present themselves. ACO speeds it up quite a bit, but they still have to compile s you have weird stuttering that shows up as lost frames. Once they're built you're fine, but changing certain things will break them again and they need to recompile and you're back to hurting performance again.

Tekken 7 is a great example: you go into a match or even just training on a fresh install with no shaders:
1) compiling for the stage
2) compiling for the characters in use
3) compiling for any particular effects that are displayed for literally anything (and there are character unique ones)

You basically end up going into training and cycling through all of the characters and all of the stages so that when you're playing normally you don't get a bunch of stuttering while the shaders compile. It would suck to be playing ranked or something and it barfs constantly because of all the eye candy.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Ooh, Fossilize rolling out? I wonder if this would make Dishonored 2 more tolerable to play.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the rec, I had some fun with it. I was wondering what all the fanart I was seeing was about, hah

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5.7 kernel is out, y'all. amdgpu improvements will bring performance gains for Navi users. Phoronix did some testing with the pre-release version a month ago.
Here's my own, completely non-scientific testing with 5700 XT, running Tomb Raider (2013) benchmark on Ultimate preset at 2560x1440 resolution, average fps:

Linux 5.4.0-31-generic (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS default): 94
Linux 5.6.14-050614-generic: 114
Linux 5.7.0-050700-generic: 120

Conclusion is very clear, Navi users should definitely update kernel.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have one of these 8bitdo controllers? I just got one and im supposed to be able to update it with fwupd but its not working. "fwupdmdr get-devices" sees the controller in update mode, but when i go to update, it says "no upgrades for 8Bitdo". Wonder if i'm missing a step.

I dont want to make a vm for this lol. Theres an hdd with windows 7 in there but i didnt plug it back in last time i opened it up because it was really hard to reach and i never used it har har.

Seems like fwupd should def work. Im just missing something.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Anyone have one of these 8bitdo controllers? I just got one and im supposed to be able to update it with fwupd but its not working. "fwupdmdr get-devices" sees the controller in update mode, but when i go to update, it says "no upgrades for 8Bitdo". Wonder if i'm missing a step.

I dont want to make a vm for this lol. Theres an hdd with windows 7 in there but i didnt plug it back in last time i opened it up because it was really hard to reach and i never used it har har.

Seems like fwupd should def work. Im just missing something.
It will work since I've updated my brick adapter that way before. Is there definitely an update for it available? What does it say specifically when you do fwupdmgr get-updates? Mine for the adapter shows "• 8Bitdo has the latest available firmware version" because it's on the most recent update.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It will work since I've updated my brick adapter that way before. Is there definitely an update for it available? What does it say specifically when you do fwupdmgr get-updates? Mine for the adapter shows "• 8Bitdo has the latest available firmware version" because it's on the most recent update.

The controller is sn30 pro plus and it appears to have firmware 3.2(3.02?) according to fwupd. The latest should be 4.01.

Ill come back with better detail when i get home! Perhaps i mosunderstood the step about pairing it i android mode first. I put it in android pair and plugged it in, but didnt check anything in the os to amke sure it was seen. -i read you are supoosed to do something like that before updating.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The controller is sn30 pro plus and it appears to have firmware 3.2(3.02?) according to fwupd. The latest should be 4.01.

Ill come back with better detail when i get home! Perhaps i mosunderstood the step about pairing it i android mode first. I put it in android pair and plugged it in, but didnt check anything in the os to amke sure it was seen. -i read you are supoosed to do something like that before updating.
Assuming you put it into update mode correctly (fwupd is seeing it at least, so this seems likely) the only other thing that may be an issue is that they don't have any downloads up for the controller beyond 3.02. The universal firmware tool they made for windows seems to be where it is unless they pulled the download for some reason, but it's also possible they didn't upload the firmware to LVFS to even get it.

FAKE EDIT: in fact, this says as much that it's the latter: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.8bitdo.sn30pro_plus.firmware

REAL EDIT: hell, I just checked and there was an update released for my adapter a bit ago and that's not up there yet either. So either they pulled them or just never uploaded any firmware beyond what was on their initial push back in December.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming you put it into update mode correctly (fwupd is seeing it at least, so this seems likely) the only other thing that may be an issue is that they don't have any downloads up for the controller beyond 3.02. The universal firmware tool they made for windows seems to be where it is unless they pulled the download for some reason, but it's also possible they didn't upload the firmware to LVFS to even get it.

FAKE EDIT: in fact, this says as much that it's the latter: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.8bitdo.sn30pro_plus.firmware

REAL EDIT: hell, I just checked and there was an update released for my adapter a bit ago and that's not up there yet either. So either they pulled them or just never uploaded any firmware beyond what was on their initial push back in December.

Awe shit. Thanks for taking a look at that.

I only wanted to update because this thing showed up this week, i tried it out, and it had massive, massive, input lag. 20-30 frames.

Now that ive thought about it some more, it could be described as a shitty product if it ships with a problem like that lol. Even if it worked right, it doesnt seem like all that now that i have it in the hands. And no linux support? Think ill send it back!

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Sea of thieves seems to be working now thanks to a patch, it should make its way upstream so everyone can play it w/o tinkering. It is funny because I think that Windows 7 is not supported and yet it works on Linux.

Also in other news:
New Wine Dev release (5.10), some interesting things are in the works apparently 👀 https://www.winehq.org/announce/5.10
- Better support for anti-cheat kernel drivers.

Although the Lutris maintainers claim that Wine is having some major regressions (for our gaming-related prospects) with the newer staging versions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone is interested in trying Persona 4. It boots, but black screens when using Proton out the box.

Installing protontricks and running

Code:
protontricks 1113000 wmp9 quartz devenum

Fixes the issue.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
All the video files in P4G are wmv files renamed to usm extension so it's no surprise indeed that it doesn't work out of the box.

Deleted member 11479

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kernel 5.8 RC1 is now out and I felt like living dangerously, so of course I installed it. No noticable improvements for my 5700 XT to report. Ran the Tomb Raider benchmark a handful of times and the average fps was maybe 0.5 higher than with kernel 5.7. Maybe 5.9 will bring more improvements with its Sienna Cichild (rumoured "big Navi") support in a couple of months time.

Here's my own, completely non-scientific testing with 5700 XT, running Tomb Raider (2013) benchmark on Ultimate preset at 2560x1440 resolution, average fps:

Linux 5.4.0-31-generic (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS default): 94
Linux 5.6.14-050614-generic: 114
Linux 5.7.0-050700-generic: 120

Conclusion is very clear, Navi users should definitely update kernel.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
How is the upgrade (motherboard+CPU) process under Linux? My fstab config uses UUIDs anyway so it should be cool right?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Nice thanks, just out of curiosity I wonder if Windows does the same thing.
I cannot speak for recent Windows, but I know in the past it would throw a shit fit if I changed anything because it would lock in drivers for motherboards and crap and always assume that's what would be there. Nothing was dynamic and it was horribly annoying, to say nothing of the registry messes.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
They lock windows 10 to your hardware, so depending on the version and what hardware/how much hardware you change, you might have to buy a new version of Windows.
Yeah I am aware of that, I just meant if it would also mount the different hard drives based on the UUIDs. Because otherwise I see it being a pain in the ass to upgrade the motherboard.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Okay so my upgrade went well but weirdly enough my motherboard would only detect my Windows Boot Manager and not GRUB (both were in the EFI partition), I had to recreate it from a tool and it got fixed quick, but it is still weird that I had to do that in the first place lol. I thought about removing Windows 10 but I saw that I still needed it for the AMD Rewards program.

Playing HL: Alyx right now, the linux port runs really great (subtitles do not work but a workaround exists, hopefully it will get patched).

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Okay so my upgrade went well but weirdly enough my motherboard would only detect my Windows Boot Manager and not GRUB (both were in the EFI partition), I had to recreate it from a tool and it got fixed quick, but it is still weird that I had to do that in the first place lol. I thought about removing Windows 10 but I saw that I still needed it for the AMD Rewards program.

Playing HL: Alyx right now, the linux port runs really great (subtitles do not work but a workaround exists, hopefully it will get patched).
The entry still has to live in nvram on the board, so swapping motherboards will usually do that. It's the only caveat to uefi over bios. Windows usually installs some other boot code to a drive (whichever one it chooses!) that keeps this from being a problem.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
The entry still has to live in nvram on the board, so swapping motherboards will usually do that. It's the only caveat to uefi over bios. Windows usually installs some other boot code to a drive (whichever one it chooses!) that keeps this from being a problem.
Oh okay, makes more sense.

What's the W/A? Not having them was bothering me.
Creating symlinks, you go in the mentionned paths and you create symlinks for the two folders (one for ~/.local/share/Steam and another where your HL Alyx is located): https://github.com/ValveSoftware/SteamVR-for-Linux/issues/352

It is just a stupid lower case/upper case issue in the paths used in-game so that is the W/A.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something like Rivatuner Statistics Server on Linux?
I want to be able to cap my fps globally so that I don't run into the G-Sync boundaries.
Also I want that smooth frametimes.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017

A well informed video, gladly surprised.

Is there something like Rivatuner Statistics Server on Linux?
I want to be able to cap my fps globally so that I don't run into the G-Sync boundaries.
Also I want that smooth frametimes.
MangoHud (mentioned in the video above) + GOverlay for configuring it, you can either enable it globally or enable it on a per-game basis.

github.com

GitHub - flightlessmango/MangoHud: A Vulkan and OpenGL overlay for monitoring FPS, temperatures, CPU/GPU load and more. Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Gj5YmBb

A Vulkan and OpenGL overlay for monitoring FPS, temperatures, CPU/GPU load and more. Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Gj5YmBb - flightlessmango/MangoHud
github.com

GitHub - benjamimgois/goverlay: GOverlay is an opensource project that aims to create a Graphical UI to help manage Linux overlays.

GOverlay is an opensource project that aims to create a Graphical UI to help manage Linux overlays. - benjamimgois/goverlay

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Seems EA Origin games don't like being run off of an HDD. Was getting terrible periodic stuttering on Titanfall 2 and ME Catalyst until I moved them to an SSD.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Catalyst too. It worked really well (besides some animated objects having seizures, and the Origin client being a bit crap), until today when it started tearing like crazy. Not sure what happened. I haven't rebooted two weeks. Maybe I should.

Platinum on PS4. 1000 points on Origin. And now 16 hours on Steam. I'm disappointed it doesn't have achievements, because I'd get them all over again. I can't even earn them again on the duplicate entry in Origin, as they carry over from my old copy. Goddammit EA.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I want my tv to switch inputs when i turn on the pc, but i dont thik (far as i can tell) my amd 570 supports cec. Can i do something with this libcec stuff?

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Is it even worth it anymore to dual booting Ubuntu and Windows? WSL2 addresses literally 99% of my needs, so idk anymore

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Is it even worth it anymore to dual booting Ubuntu and Windows? WSL2 addresses literally 99% of my needs, so idk anymore
My take would be rather the opposite, that just Linux is enough, not having to rely on Windows is such a relief on a daily basis (although I still have it, I have not boot on it for about 5-6 months except for validating the AMD Rewards thing last week) that I see little to 0 scenario where I would still need to boot on Windows.
Of course you would have to be a little tolerant about having to tinker things sometimes but in the end I see it as a better experience overall.

WSL2 is not bad but it is just a thing to keep a certain type of users from switching to a Linux distro.

But I guess it really depends on what you do on your system, personally I cannot see myself go back to Windows anymore thanks to the amazing progress of Linux even in gaming and I am a developer and I find that it is also the best development environment.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
My take would be rather the opposite, that just Linux is enough, not having to rely on Windows is such a relief on a daily basis (although I still have it, I have not boot on it for about 5-6 months except for validating the AMD Rewards thing last week) that I see little to 0 scenario where I would still need to boot on Windows.
Of course you would have to be a little tolerant about having to tinker things sometimes but in the end I see it as a better experience overall.

WSL2 is not bad but it is just a thing to keep a certain type of users from switching to a Linux distro.

But I guess it really depends on what you do on your system, personally I cannot see myself go back to Windows anymore thanks to the amazing progress of Linux even in gaming and I am a developer and I find that it is also the best development environment.

Think my biggest issue with committing to Linux full tilt is that Xbox is still my primary gaming platform, and by switching to Linux I would lose out on Game Pass for PC, crossplatform party chat, and the ability to play quite a few crossplay-enabled games thanks to anti-cheat software breaking under WINE and Proton.

Otherwise, I'd have 0 reservations about making the switch.