• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
He said dont expect much morethat brewmaster. I used steamos for a few years and its was great. Then a bunch of deal breaking bugs crept in.

I was expectlng a massive improvement for clockwork but matbe those expectations should tempered...

I guess if its alot like brewmaster hut finally behaves itself again, id still use it.
The quote is, "I wouldn't expect much more movement on Debian-based Brewmaster...", which I read as Valve moving on to a non-Debian Clockwerk/SteamOS 3.0 rather than maintaining Brewmaster.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I could see, and maybe even hope, for them to maintain a more curated rolling release distro. Basically like do what Manjaro does with Arch but do their own version. They've already for a valveaur repo for Arch anyway and a rolling release with regular updates instead of waiting for Ubuntu or Debian to do their thing would go a long way for them gaining at least some traction for it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I could see, and maybe even hope, for them to maintain a more curated rolling release distro. Basically like do what Manjaro does with Arch but do their own version. They've already for a valveaur repo for Arch anyway and a rolling release with regular updates instead of waiting for Ubuntu or Debian to do their thing would go a long way for them gaining at least some traction for it.
This would be fucking awesome.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Hi guys I have a question

I know that the Nvidia drivers now support PRIME offloading on Turing GPUs. But is it still possible to use Optimus the "classic" way? Meaning running everything on the Nvidia GPU and having the Intel GPU act ONLY as a passthrough to the display. Because that would actually be a bonus over Windows for me. I'm tired of the stupid broken Optimus "technology".

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Steam currently appears to be going crazy and filling up error.log until my drive is completely full.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Hi guys I have a question

I know that the Nvidia drivers now support PRIME offloading on Turing GPUs. But is it still possible to use Optimus the "classic" way? Meaning running everything on the Nvidia GPU and having the Intel GPU act ONLY as a passthrough to the display. Because that would actually be a bonus over Windows for me. I'm tired of the stupid broken Optimus "technology".
The old PRIME mode is still available afaik. You still suffer from the bandwidth penalty by passing through the iGPU though, and losing VAAPI is definitely not a bonus imo
Although in PRIME mode I somehow can still get VLC to use VAAPI with the iGPU, so if anyone knows how to launch Chrome in this mode but with the iGPU instead, it would be very much welcome

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I haven't been paying attention to Linux gaming lately, so I apologize if first-try Vulkan stories are old hat by now. Anyway I noticed that X-Plane 11 recently rewrote their engine to support Vulkan. So I upgraded Nvidia drivers and started it up (had to do some minor workarounds due to "wrong ELF class" errors I was getting).

Lo and behold: a ~20fps increase, from ~35fps to ~55fps! For a flight simulator this provides an immensely improved experience. In addition, it appears that textures are crisper, more legible, and such.

Very impressed.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Is anyone running RE3 through Proton yet? I've had mixed results starting it in different Proton versions and finalyl got to at least the settings screen with the newest GE version 5.5, but it actually crashed anyway after trying to start the game. One curious thing I noticed is that the graphics options for the game show how much VRAM you're going to be using with different settings, but it shows my total VRAM as 0GB! This is clearly wrong, hahaha.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I think Radeon users have had better luck with RE3 than those using nVidia cards.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The other thing that's talked about is switching RE3 renderer to DX11. It's a pretty high profile game so I'm sure Valve will turn their attention to it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Do you need to fuck around adding the dll for the video in re3?
GloriousEggroll put out a new pre-release version here: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

It's supposed to let us legally get around the mfplat issue and this is the only version of Proton I've gotten RE3 to work with so far, albeit I still can't load into the actual game. This almost looks Denuvo related since the demo was working fine for pretty much everyone.

Arch also just updated the kernel to 5.6.2 AND there's a mesa-git update installing now, so I'm going to update this fully then try again in a few minutes to see how it goes.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Just finished Doom Eternal on Proton. Set up was annoying and there were some minor graphics bugs, but overall a smooth experience.

Oh, and Rage 2 also.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Can someone ELI5 why GloriousEggroll isn't rolled into the standard Proton stuff? what is the benefit or reason why it's its own thing.

Like, GE seems rad but the benefit of proton is that its so easy to use, so it's weird to see a fork last so long on its own. Will we see any of these GE improvements in regular proton down the line?

I'm asking since I truly don't know much about it or how these different forks are developed/the reasons why.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone ELI5 why GloriousEggroll isn't rolled into the standard Proton stuff? what is the benefit or reason why it's its own thing.

Like, GE seems rad but the benefit of proton is that its so easy to use, so it's weird to see a fork last so long on its own. Will we see any of these GE improvements in regular proton down the line?

I'm asking since I truly don't know much about it or how these different forks are developed/the reasons why.
For the same reasons Proton's wine patches don't apply immediately to upstream wine.

Sometimes it's quality of code, whenever you merge a feature you have to maintain it alongside your existing code base and deal with whichever regressions/bugs/etc it introduces. So from the point of the upstream maintainer the new feature has to be worth it in the long run, letting it mature and be evaluated by the community in the various downstream projects is usually a safer approach.

Other times it's licensing issues. For instance while you can just copy paste the microsofts fonts from an existing Windows installation to your Ubuntu and be "fine", Canonical can't just ship them with the installation iso image.

The point of a fork is to address something that the base project doesn't, so the upstream might not even be interested to merge those features to begin with.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
For the same reasons Proton's wine patches don't apply immediately to upstream wine.

Sometimes it's quality of code, whenever you merge a feature you have to maintain it alongside your existing code base and deal with whichever regressions/bugs/etc it introduces. So from the point of the upstream maintainer the new feature has to be worth it in the long run, letting it mature and be evaluated by the community in the various downstream projects is usually a safer approach.

Other times it's licensing issues. For instance while you can just copy paste the microsofts fonts from an existing Windows installation to your Ubuntu and be "fine", Canonical can't just ship them with the installation iso image.

The point of a fork is to address something that the base project doesn't, so the upstream might not even be interested to merge those features to begin with.
I understand the point of forks in general, I just meant with GE, it seems to have no general issues and so many people have adopted it that to me, it seems like it would be useful to roll into Proton proper. Is there any reason NOT to use GE at this point?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I understand the point of forks in general, I just meant with GE, it seems to have no general issues and so many people have adopted it that to me, it seems like it would be useful to roll into Proton proper. Is there any reason NOT to use GE at this point?
I've had multiple cases where GE didn't work for me, full stop. Was never sure why but I didn't investigate much into it, either, because I simply didn't have the time.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Playing tekken 7 flawlessly on linux still trips me out to this day. Proton changed everything.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I wonder if the VRAM indicator is even accurate anyway, given that RE2's VRAM estimate was basically broken to begin with.
It would be interesting to see. I already have RE2 on PS4, so I'm not buying it again to check. It's not even the estimate of how much it would use, it's just a permanent red for reading 2.69/0GB or whatever I have it set to. So long as I don't see a warning about running out of VRAM when I've got 6GB I don't care.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It would be interesting to see. I already have RE2 on PS4, so I'm not buying it again to check. It's not even the estimate of how much it would use, it's just a permanent red for reading 2.69/0GB or whatever I have it set to. So long as I don't see a warning about running out of VRAM when I've got 6GB I don't care.
IIRC in RE2 its estimate was way off; I have an 8gb card and played constantly with my vram estimate at like 11 gigs with no issue, even though the warning popped up. I assume that is also the case with RE3.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
IIRC in RE2 its estimate was way off; I have an 8gb card and played constantly with my vram estimate at like 11 gigs with no issue, even though the warning popped up. I assume that is also the case with RE3.
Because it also came with my GPU, I tried out MHW and it, too, has the VRAM estimation. It remains to be seen if I'm going to leave it at 4k or drop it to 1440p (I'm on a 4K TV) like I ended up doing for Nier A, but I want my consistent 60fps. The intro to RE3 at least was moving at 60, but I didn't get to any of the real game before I cut out.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Because it also came with my GPU, I tried out MHW and it, too, has the VRAM estimation. It remains to be seen if I'm going to leave it at 4k or drop it to 1440p (I'm on a 4K TV) like I ended up doing for Nier A, but I want my consistent 60fps. The intro to RE3 at least was moving at 60, but I didn't get to any of the real game before I cut out.
FWIW I found RE3 to be incredibly well optimized, at least on windows -- I was playing locked at 240fps ultra settings on a 2080.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've actually been toying with the idea of running 1080p120 since my TV takes it. Might be an interesting experiment.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I likely spent more time doing it than I should have, but I finally put together a script to rip ps1 discs into the bin/cue format that retroarch will read on the library. I have it dumping to the game ps1 games folder on my NAS with the discs labeled as the disc ID, so they stay together and are in alphabetical order automatically.

My plan is to hook it into a set of scripts for ARM that rips music and movie discs once you pop the disc in, so it's automatic ripping.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I've never been a fan of RetroArch, I remember being taken aback at some of the UI/UX choices in the past. I tried it again recently on my Linux box and... nothing seems to work? Are there known issues with Retroarch on Linux? I couldn't install cores, I couldn't add games to my library, nothing. I found some documentation that I had to install another lib, but that didn't help either.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I likely spent more time doing it than I should have, but I finally put together a script to rip ps1 discs into the bin/cue format that retroarch will read on the library. I have it dumping to the game ps1 games folder on my NAS with the discs labeled as the disc ID, so they stay together and are in alphabetical order automatically.

My plan is to hook it into a set of scripts for ARM that rips music and movie discs once you pop the disc in, so it's automatic ripping.
Do you plan to release it?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've never been a fan of RetroArch, I remember being taken aback at some of the UI/UX choices in the past. I tried it again recently on my Linux box and... nothing seems to work? Are there known issues with Retroarch on Linux? I couldn't install cores, I couldn't add games to my library, nothing. I found some documentation that I had to install another lib, but that didn't help either.
You might need to install the cores through your distro package manager, but it could also be a permissions issue depending on your setup. I've had no problems with it but it is picky about the format of the games when doing a library scan.

Do you plan to release it?
I probably will when it's a bit more portable. I'll need to do some extra work to make sure libraries aren't missing and maybe give it a config, but it's actually working as I wanted now. Ideally I'd like to have them convert to pbp for some space saving but that's in the "nice to have" column for now.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You might need to install the cores through your distro package manager, but it could also be a permissions issue depending on your setup. I've had no problems with it but it is picky about the format of the games when doing a library scan.

I probably will when it's a bit more portable. I'll need to do some extra work to make sure libraries aren't missing and maybe give it a config, but it's actually working as I wanted now. Ideally I'd like to have them convert to pbp for some space saving but that's in the "nice to have" column for now.
I would also love the option of chd!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I would also love the option of chd!
You know, I hadn't actually looked into this because it seemed weird (and mildly annoying, tbh) to have yet another PS1 disc format people use. I always thought it was strange since chd was usually used for things like Killer Instinct and other arcade games that utilized a HDD. It looks like the MAME crew made it applicable to more things and it gives better compression to boot! I'll definitely look into this!

EDIT
Looks like I've got pay dirt on the format conversion. It will be easier to do in the script than on-the-fly like I just did to one of my games, I'm really digging the compression ratio, so far. This will help more on the PSC, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Code:
[USERNAME@USERNAME-home PSYCHIC FORCE 2 [J]]$ ls -lh
total 979M
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users 608M Apr 20 18:58 SLPM-86273.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users 372M Apr 22  2020 SLPM-86273.chd
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users  132 Apr 20 18:58 SLPM-86273.cue
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users  256 Apr 20 18:58 SLPM-86273.toc

EDIT 2
I managed to wrangle some ugly-looking scripting to make the game titles capitalize every word instead of it being in all caps. It will hurt my copy editing brain going forward to see things like "The" in the middle of a title and the language brackets will be lowercase (so you'll see [j], [e], [g], etc for things) but it's not entirely off for other ROM tools and sets to do such things. I suppose I can do one last sed to get that last part fixed.The language brackets capitalization is now fixed. Now titles will look like this:
Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series Vol. 2 - Irodori No Love Song - [2 Discs] [J]

instead of this:
TOKIMEKI MEMORIAL DRAMA SERIES VOL. 2 - IRODORI NO LOVE SONG - [2 DISCS] [J]

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
YUP

I got to my desk, saw that and went "HOLY SHIT WHAT" when I had just started to move back to PS4 with the CE upgrade... now I need to do it on PC as well, haha.
Oh man, this game is like 75% of why I even bother booting a Windows machine these days.
BDFT4xq.png

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Oh man, this game is like 75% of why I even bother booting a Windows machine these days.
BDFT4xq.png
Yup, installed it again, booted right the hell up without problems. This is fantastic. I swear it's also running better than when I was in Windows (I can run it 4K60 natively!), but I also have a 5600XT instead of a GTX 1060 now, so...........

Also also, Steam remote play seems to be SUPER busted for me, now, and I cannot tell if it's my client system or the host system not sending the data properly.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe not the correct thread for this, but I'm hoping someone can help.

I tried out a few linux distros last night and when I returned to Windows 10, Windows is reporting there isn't an ethernet cable plugged in. I didn't make any hardware changes during this time. Booting back into linux confirms that the cable is plugged in, the ethernet port is working, and I am able to browse the internet. Checked the bios and nothing has changed. Did a network reset/driver uninstall/reinstall on Windows, still reporting no cable plugged in.

When I plug the ethernet cable into the second ethernet port on my motherboard, Windows recognizes it immediately.

Any ideas? Literally the only thing I did before booting was make a bootable usb drive with ventoy.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
If anyone is interested in using remote play for his PS4 on Linux, take a look at https://github.com/thestr4ng3r/chiaki: I just beat a boss in FF7R with it, it works very well in my opinion. Controller was wired though, I don't know if DS4 can be paired wirelessly with Linux.
I've been using it a bit lately and it's definitely useful. The TouchPad button doesn't work normally and is bound to T, but a recent update allowed left mouse click to work too.

Bluetooth definitely works and is easy to pair.