• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I am mildly annoyed.

I want to replace my 1060 with a 5600xt,but most of the oems use Windows for VBIOS updates. The only one I saw in stock at Newegg that uses a dos USB was from Powercooler, but I'm not familiar enough with the brand to decide if it's worth shelling out for their card.

My alternative would be to get a card that uses Windows for the update, put it into my wife's desktop, do the update on both settings then move it into my box. That's an annoyance I don't want to deal with if I can help it.

Nov 4, 2017
I am mildly annoyed.

I want to replace my 1060 with a 5600xt,but most of the oems use Windows for VBIOS updates. The only one I saw in stock at Newegg that uses a dos USB was from Powercooler, but I'm not familiar enough with the brand to decide if it's worth shelling out for their card.

My alternative would be to get a card that uses Windows for the update, put it into my wife's desktop, do the update on both settings then move it into my box. That's an annoyance I don't want to deal with if I can help it.
Is there a known BIOS issue with the 5600xt?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming "Powercooler" is actually Powercolor, that is a decent enough brand. I'd be doing thorough research on 5600xt flashes though and probably staying away (or just running old slow bios anyway). There was a gamersnexus video with oems unhappy about none of these cards being properly validated for the higher speed bios and having to just deal with the higher expected failure rate, along with this change happening while everything was shut down for Chinese new year.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Assuming "Powercooler" is actually Powercolor, that is a decent enough brand. I'd be doing thorough research on 5600xt flashes though and probably staying away (or just running old slow bios anyway). There was a gamersnexus video with oems unhappy about none of these cards being properly validated for the higher speed bios and having to just deal with the higher expected failure rate, along with this change happening while everything was shut down for Chinese new year.
Jesus that's what I get for typing on my phone. Yes, powercolor.

I'm always wary of brands I've not tried or have read mixed reviews about. I stay away from msi and evga out of personal habit and experience, leaving Gigabyte as my usual go-to for most components and Sapphire as the only one I've personally used much for AMD in the past.

Nov 4, 2017
Updating to the faster clocks and memory speed.
I've always avoided flashing due to the risks involved. It can't be done at the driver level?
Jesus that's what I get for typing on my phone. Yes, powercolor.

I'm always wary of brands I've not tried or have read mixed reviews about. I stay away from msi and evga out of personal habit and experience, leaving Gigabyte as my usual go-to for most components and Sapphire as the only one I've personally used much for AMD in the past.
I Stan for Gigabyte and Asus, never had problems 👍🏼

spool

Oct 27, 2017

article said:
Fortunately, it turns out the first gazette notice for compulsory strike-off was brought about as an accounting snafu. So that will hopefully be addressed soon for avoiding this issue with the UK Companies House and Feral Interactive can continue delivering quality Linux game ports. Original article below.

I kinda hate Feral's ports as they (at least the ones I've tried) cut out surround sound support. I get that only a fraction of PC users has surround sound, and Linux users are a fraction of that fraction so they probably rightly figure it's something they can save some money on not doing because almost nobody (or even literally nobody in some cases) will care, but when you are one of the few with non-garbage sound it hurts. Steam Play is definitely the way to go even if Feral has done a port for this reason alone.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing the port of deus ex (2nd one) last night and it didnt run too hot. Feral has been great over the years. Have they switched to dxvk from ogl wrappers yet?

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I just installed Shadow of the Tomb Raider, another Feral port, and that game has surround sound. And that makes my previous post is both harsh and wrong. I hope this is what we can expect going forward.

I don't know how the port of SotTR works under the hood, but it is using Vulkan at least.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow runs noticeably worse than Rise and 2013. But it's really fantastic looking, so that's probably why. My Vega 56 is struggling at times at 1440p but it looks too good to start reducing the graphics settings. It's probably the game with the cleanest image quality I've seen. It's very smooth, yet sharp and detailed, at almost all times. Only occasionally does it break down a tad and show significant aliasing. I keep thinking things like "that's a really nice looking rock" as I play.

It's on sale for 20 bucks right now and worth it for anyone that wants a graphical showcase. It's also a decent game, if you care about that sort of thing.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm trying out Pop!_OS. It such a fantastic Ubuntu-based distro. The laptop fan won't randomly crank up at full speed even watching youtube video at 1080p/60fps. I am happy with GNU/Linux now.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Okay so this thing where bpm loses focus when closisng a game... Good thing we have so many shells to choose from. I just went through several.

Bpm dont work right:
Budgie - too bad because the look is great.
Gnome
Vanilla Ubuntu's gnome
All gnome?

Works fine:
Kde
Xfce

Im going to try xfce for a minute and see how it does with games. Last i tried was long ago and i would gets lots of tearing. If im not into it... I guess its back to kde which will make it the only shell im aware of that really works for me.

Mate losses focus too. What I did to fix it was replace the command on the launcher with env SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS=0 /usr/bin/steam %U .

Check if it works with the other DE too.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Mate losses focus too. What I did to fix it was replace the command on the launcher with env SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS=0 /usr/bin/steam %U .

Check if it works with the other DE too.

Thats right. I tried mate and it did the same. Ill see if my desktop does the same thing and if this works. The couchtop is finally working perfect and i dont want to touch it for a minute.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
What are people's experiences with Lutris here, particularly for emulation? I've had great luck running Cemu with it, and was hoping to try using Citra as I've been having issues getting it to run standalone. However, it seems that you have to install a separate launcher for each 3DS, then just point it to your files, which seems like more overhead than other emulators I've tried (also Citra didn't work in the end anyway).

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are people's experiences with Lutris here, particularly for emulation? I've had great luck running Cemu with it, and was hoping to try using Citra as I've been having issues getting it to run standalone. However, it seems that you have to install a separate launcher for each 3DS, then just point it to your files, which seems like more overhead than other emulators I've tried (also Citra didn't work in the end anyway).
There is a native linux version for citra available as a flatpak, no reason to use lutris in this case

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I finally went out and hobby-built myself a full linux PC.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
Qt Version: 5.14.1
Kernel Version: 5.4.23-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
Graphics Card: AMD RADEON 5600XT
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM

This one was hell of a fun build. Cost me a penny but I've been meaning to do it for a very long time. I decided to give Manjaro a try because I keep seeing people sing its praises. I'll use this as a development machine, I think. Time for me to learn some coding and maybe finally make the Visual Novel I've been meaning to input into an engine for a long, long time now.

Anything I should do on a fresh Manjaro install? Would love some pro-tips or resources if anyone has any!

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I finally went out and hobby-built myself a full linux PC.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
Qt Version: 5.14.1
Kernel Version: 5.4.23-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
Graphics Card: AMD RADEON 5600XT
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM

This one was hell of a fun build. Cost me a penny but I've been meaning to do it for a very long time. I decided to give Manjaro a try because I keep seeing people sing its praises. I'll use this as a development machine, I think. Time for me to learn some coding and maybe finally make the Visual Novel I've been meaning to input into an engine for a long, long time now.

Anything I should do on a fresh Manjaro install? Would love some pro-tips or resources if anyone has any!

You can take a look here and try some of these tips: https://averagelinuxuser.com/10-things-to-do-after-installing-manjaro/

I definitely recommend installing pamac and ditching octopi. But I pretty much just use sudo pacman -Syu in terminal for all my updates.

If you're new to Linux, I found this to be really handy: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/980xt0/information_bomb_for_new_users

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!
MR9IhKx.png

Edit: Also Granblue Fantasy Versus works, if anyone was thinking about it.
QomHOtX.png

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
You can take a look here and try some of these tips: https://averagelinuxuser.com/10-things-to-do-after-installing-manjaro/

I definitely recommend installing pamac and ditching octopi. But I pretty much just use sudo pacman -Syu in terminal for all my updates.

If you're new to Linux, I found this to be really handy: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/980xt0/information_bomb_for_new_users
I believe it started with Pamac installed, I tried searching for Octopi and it's not installed. I opted for KDE, so maybe that is why? I'm not sure!

Last edited:

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Griff Some programs I can recommend:

xow - A driver for the Xbox One wireless dongle. Still in development so some issues may prop up.

Mangohud - Vulkan and OpenGL overlay for monitoring FPS, frametimes, temperatures, CPU/GPU load, RAM etc.

Goverlay - A GUI to mess with mangohud settings if you dont want to mess around in the terminal.

Dont use it, but if you have a gaming mice, you can use Piper to set up the additional buttons it has on different games.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
What emulator are you using for Virtua Fighter? Where did you find the image? Does it run fine? (yes, I am in dire need of playing VF)
The emulator is RPCS3 and it seems to run VF5FS perfectly from what I played. You can actually download game files directly from PSN to your PC fairly easily, but you have to use a modded ps3 to extract the license file.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I was thinking of getting Doom Eternal today, but apparently it doesn't work on Proton. Someone in the Proton Github already hacked together a way to launch it, so it's probably just a matter of time.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmmm i was expecting eternal to work out if the box for no particular reason.

Anyhow, i have a question: The couchtop has a single desktop user and and boots into steam bpm. We have two people here who want to use our steam accounts on it, but the bastard wants us to type in our passwords every time we switch.

Any fix? Maybe a workaround like a linked desktop entry with a script to switch users?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
anyone know a quick and easy way to disable copy on select. I don't want to just synchronize clipboards, I want selecting to not copy at all to the primary clipboard.

If this isn't possible that's fine, but it would be a huge help if I could get rid of this feature.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
anyone know a quick and easy way to disable copy on select. I don't want to just synchronize clipboards, I want selecting to not copy at all to the primary clipboard.

If this isn't possible that's fine, but it would be a huge help if I could get rid of this feature.
Which desktop environment are you using?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Assuming you're using klipper, there's an option there. Otherwise I'm not sure what is causing it since none of the installs I've used of it do this by default.
I'm using Manjaro KDE, with no custom changes from any defaults. The option in klipper just decides whether or not to sync the two clipboards, which I already have off. I don't mind the paste as middle click default, but it automatically copying anything I select on that clipboard is kind of annoying.

Looking into it, this appears to be a common default on lots of Linux distros, as it's baked into X, I just don't know if there is an easy way to edit it or turn it off without borking selection in general...

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm using Manjaro KDE, with no custom changes from any defaults. The option in klipper just decides whether or not to sync the two clipboards, which I already have off. I don't mind the paste as middle click default, but it automatically copying anything I select on that clipboard is kind of annoying.

Looking into it, this appears to be a common default on lots of Linux distros, as it's baked into X, I just don't know if there is an easy way to edit it or turn it off without borking selection in general...
Oh I see what you mean. The xorg copy to primary is what's happening, yes. I usually don't have this problem because I have klipper running but not syncing, so the copy to primary still happens but I only get the selection I purposely made.

It may also be how manjaro handles xresources by default, since I was still using my settings from arch when I setup manjaro a while back.

EDIT: Griff I checked my work desktop this morning because I just remembered this thread from last night. If you configure klipper , or in the case I seem to have running, just "clipboard" in your system tray, there's an option in General to "Ignore selection" that disabled the copy on selection from entering the KDE clipboard entirely. I tested with it on and off and just double clicking random text was making it enter the clipboard (without my realizing, no less) and ticking this option makes it no longer do this. I'm also realizing this MAY help me with phantom selections I've had to mash CTRL+C furiously to get to my clipboard, haha.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I love the "dual clipboard" of Linux / X / KDE, where highlight/mid-click does one thing and ctrl+c/ctrl+v does the other.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep I use it all the time, the primary is dedicated to cli apps, while the clipboard is used for gui apps (where by gui I mean mostly firefox)

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Oh I see what you mean. The xorg copy to primary is what's happening, yes. I usually don't have this problem because I have klipper running but not syncing, so the copy to primary still happens but I only get the selection I purposely made.

It may also be how manjaro handles xresources by default, since I was still using my settings from arch when I setup manjaro a while back.

EDIT: Griff I checked my work desktop this morning because I just remembered this thread from last night. If you configure klipper , or in the case I seem to have running, just "clipboard" in your system tray, there's an option in General to "Ignore selection" that disabled the copy on selection from entering the KDE clipboard entirely. I tested with it on and off and just double clicking random text was making it enter the clipboard (without my realizing, no less) and ticking this option makes it no longer do this. I'm also realizing this MAY help me with phantom selections I've had to mash CTRL+C furiously to get to my clipboard, haha.
That's awesome. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

Man, I love the "dual clipboard" of Linux / X / KDE, where highlight/mid-click does one thing and ctrl+c/ctrl+v does the other.

Yep I use it all the time, the primary is dedicated to cli apps, while the clipboard is used for gui apps (where by gui I mean mostly firefox)

I just don't have much a use for it, and it kept causing me issues. I kept accidentally opening new tabs when middle clicking just outside an open tab in firefox, instead of closing tabs like I generally wanted it to. I just don't have a need for middle click to be anything other than basic navigation and autoscroll. I can use commands to paste into the CLI, so it ends up just being redundant for me.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome. Thanks for helping me figure it out!

I just don't have much a use for it, and it kept causing me issues. I kept accidentally opening new tabs when middle clicking just outside an open tab in Firefox, instead of closing tabs like I generally wanted it to. I just don't have a need for middle click to be anything other than basic navigation and autoscroll. I can use commands to paste into the CLI, so it ends up just being redundant for me.
For Firefox, perhaps that is middlemouse.contentLoadURL: false in about:config? search "middle" and take a look at the options.

None of mine are non-default, the above is false for me. But I do remember a horrible time in the past where middle clicking in Firefox and "missing my target" would instead load what was usually a bad url from my copy buffer. Middle clicking in for me in Firefox does nothing now if I miss, but it does open/close tabs and I can use it for quick copy paste when constructing comments and middle-clicking to the post reply textbox on Era etc.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
For Firefox, perhaps that is middlemouse.contentLoadURL: false in about:config? search "middle" and take a look at the options.

None of mine are non-default, the above is false for me. But I do remember a horrible time in the past where middle clicking in Firefox and "missing my target" would instead load what was usually a bad url from my copy buffer. Middle clicking in for me in Firefox does nothing now if I miss, but it does open/close tabs and I can use it for quick copy paste when constructing comments and middle-clicking to the post reply textbox on Era etc.
It's false for me as well.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone ever tried that nolo vr setup? I like it for broadening the choice of headsets for linux and i like what i see of the performance. Maybe even use it with my psvr...

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I know I shill for this game constantly, but I just tested it for shits and giggles and it turns out that Pathologic 2 runs with full parity to windows via proton. Apparently a linux native build is coming out eventually, but until then, enjoy!

It's kind of amazing, even some of the windows bugs persist through proton. Quitting the game still requires a force quit or a minute or two of waiting for the process to kill, but that's an issue on windows as well. So weird!

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Cool to hear that Valve is still planning on coming back to STEAMOS, or perhaps something to replace it.

www.gamingonlinux.com

Seems Valve do intend to go back to SteamOS at some point

SteamOS, the Valve-made Linux distribution that was originally for the failed Steam Machine initiative has gradually vanished into the sidelines but it seems it won't be forever.

Yes, definitely lots of work still going on. Right now the focus is on core technology itself rather than distributing it, but we intend to get back to that in the future. I wouldn't expect much more movement on Debian-based Brewmaster at this point, however.

So basically sounds like they are building up all their Linux-related tools (like Proton) and then planning to bundle it all together in some fashion once it has matured more.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
He said dont expect much morethat brewmaster. I used steamos for a few years and its was great. Then a bunch of deal breaking bugs crept in.

I was expectlng a massive improvement for clockwork but matbe those expectations should tempered...

I guess if its alot like brewmaster hut finally behaves itself again, id still use it.