• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky used to perform really badly for me, but when I tested it before applying the patch it ran noticeably better. I get a stable 60fps when I stand in one spot and just look around. The problem I think arises from the world generation that it does when you move around, resulting in drops usually into the 50s, but sometimes even lower, every few seconds.

I tried the No Man's Sky Vulkan beta and it seems pretty much the same. The fps counter reports 59-60fps, with stuttering when traversing. Probably CPU related, because the CPU fan is on full blast a lot of the time when playing this game.

I was about to play with settings to try to claw back some performance and stop the screen tearing, but then my PC froze. So yeah. That shit again. This is a game I'll revisit once I have my new PC.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018

Curious gonna check it out
UPDATE: Hades by Supergiant games seems to run pretty great out of the box. Very good sign will check out more of the game I collected for free later.

Last edited:

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
Just tested The Witness on EGS. It works great out of the box.

I'm going to try Fortnite, but I doubt it'll work due to EasyAntiCheat.
Will report later on.

EDIT: Nope, it gets to the splash screen with the "patching" text and in-game music. But it crashes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What that means in layman's terms
There's kind of two things in one here:

- FNA being added to Wine-mono. I think this actually happened a little while ago. FNA is an XNA reimplementation and has already been used to port XNA games to Linux in the past. Now all XNA games will use it when run through wine, significantly increasing their compatibility. If you don't know what XNA is, it's a Microsoft toolkit for programming games, and a lot of Xbox 360 indie games used it. XNA itself only supports Microsoft platforms.
- Wine-mono shipping with Proton, so Proton can now benefit fom the above. The inclusion of Wine-mono should also fix a bunch of .Net related issues, which will help increase compatibility with a bunch of launchers, Unreal Engine 3 games, etc

It's a good step for the project.

Last edited:

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in terms of actionable shortcomings, .NET and .WMV playback have been the major ones. It sounds like this update has addressed a huge chunk of those .NET issues, although apparently WPF still needs to be implemented to completely eradicate those issues. I imagine this should be feasible given that it's MIT licensed, unless I have no clue what I'm talking about there.

If things keep going at this pace, we'll have solved most of the issues we can solve on our end over the course of this year. Unfortunately, there's very little we can do about invasive forms of DRM and anti-cheat that require kernel-level access. Even if the WINE maintainers would allow such a thing (rootkits are against their fundamental development philosophy), it's not architecturally feasible. That is, even if Valve wanted to do it all themselves, it would be impractical to say the least, and would require a major fork of WINE. I suppose we can still figure out EAC and Denuvo in the meantime since some versions work, we just need to have a better understanding of why and if that can apply more universally.

So I guess what we should be doing now is advocating for less invasive forms of anti-cheat and DRM so that things are ready when Proton has shaped up as much as possible. Luckily many PC gamers on Windows agree and are working toward similar goals, so maybe we'll see something useful on this front. Of course, that won't help with DRM on older games that have effectively been abandoned.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This probably isn't the best place for this question, but since everyone seems to be pretty knowledgeable about techy stuff...

Why exactly do devs use WMV so often? Growing up on the internet I always thought WMV was a bad file format that had no real benefits. Is there a reason why devs don't use other compressed video types or is it just laziness and availability? I feel like that one change would make way more games playable on Linux without tinkering.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't the best place for this question, but since everyone seems to be pretty knowledgeable about techy stuff...

Why exactly do devs use WMV so often? Growing up on the internet I always thought WMV was a bad file format that had no real benefits. Is there a reason why devs don't use other compressed video types or is it just laziness and availability? I feel like that one change would make way more games playable on Linux without tinkering.
Possibly because they didn't have to license it, or whatever licensing agreement MS offered was far more simple. They designed games to run on windows, WMV was the only native codec bundled with Windows. If they offered any other video format, they'd have to bundle third party codecs.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The situation with codecs is/was hilarious and depressing at the same time. Just take vorbis which is royalty free and at the same time superior to other lossy formats and yet people still used mp3 or aac.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I can mark a few off the list now.
Fight n Rage works perfectly out of the box, now. I gave it a new prefix from scratch using 4.2-3 and it just runs, now.
Final Fantasy XIII is the same way, though it still does weird things running in Fullscreen sometimes. Running it windowed with 2048x2048 shadows, though, works fine. again, no need for hacky workarounds or other wine/protontricks stuff.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I can mark a few off the list now.
Fight n Rage works perfectly out of the box, now. I gave it a new prefix from scratch using 4.2-3 and it just runs, now.
Final Fantasy XIII is the same way, though it still does weird things running in Fullscreen sometimes. Running it windowed with 2048x2048 shadows, though, works fine. again, no need for hacky workarounds or other wine/protontricks stuff.
If I remember correctly FF13 runs wonky in fullscreen on Windows as well.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Killer 7 launcher works now. Killer is Dead now launches out of the box, but still has bugged graphics.

Homeworld Collection and Divinity Original Sin 2 still don't work without bypassing their launchers.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hearing about supraland everywhere. It's Platinum on proton DB. I'm getting a bit swamped in games right now, but I've got to pop in that demo. it's one of those things where I don't feel like I can suss it out just by looking at it, and that's making me want it.

Edit: tried it. Seems quite good. Certainly well crafted. Not what i expected, either. it gets right to the point, too. Start the demo and you'll be set up with a motivation and a mission in under 30 seconds.

Last edited:

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone else have a Xbox One Wireless Receiver for game controllers? Is it working yet under Linux? I know there was a bounty for it a while ago.

Can we perhaps campaign to get official driver support out of MS for it? Phil Spencer and his Xbox minions take feedback well enough now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe only the newer Bluetooth ones work.

Campaigning to Microsoft for Linux support for the longest time would have been utterly pointless, but I guess these days there might be a small chance.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I believe only the newer Bluetooth ones work.

Campaigning to Microsoft for Linux support for the longest time would have been utterly pointless, but I guess these days there might be a small chance.
You would have more luck campaigning for Steam Input to be separated from Steam and working with it as a D-Input.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I figure since Xbox isn't directly under Windows now, and Microsoft is using linux for Azure Sphere, there should be at least one skeleton crew in Redmond sympathetic enough to give us drivers for their 8-pad USB controller dongle.

Obviously a low priority for them.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If there ever was a time to get official support for the xbox one dongle it's probably now, given MS's recent moves. Wait too long and the window might close, who knows.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
It's a shame that the XBOX controller is the de facto default joystick for PC gaming. If it's manufactured by MS, they're actively trying to stop it from being used elsewhere, and if it's 3rd party, then it's designed to be cheaper (or extra premium).

I wish we saw more decent quality 3rd party controllers with the same featureset and compatibility. Logitech F710 seems like it's the closest thing out there.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's a shame that the XBOX controller is the de facto default joystick for PC gaming. If it's manufactured by MS, they're actively trying to stop it from being used elsewhere, and if it's 3rd party, then it's designed to be cheaper (or extra premium).

I wish we saw more decent quality 3rd party controllers with the same featureset and compatibility. Logitech F710 seems like it's the closest thing out there.
I like a lot of the 8BitDo Gamepads (I use an SN30 Pro GB) since they have a lot of flexibility for use. I'm not sure if they work on Linux, as I haven't tried. Those are pretty good though if they do work!

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I like a lot of the 8BitDo Gamepads (I use an SN30 Pro GB) since they have a lot of flexibility for use. I'm not sure if they work on Linux, as I haven't tried. Those are pretty good though if they do work!
I'd be super happy if 8BitDo did an xbox-style gamepad with it's own wireless dongle. A quality gamepad for PC games that doesn't have all of the baggage. Maybe even better if they work with Valve a bit to make sure it's compatible with everything.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017

I've personally had problems with the 8bitdo reciever on linux (using a retro receiver as a bluetooth device) but I haven't had any problems with the controllers themselves via bluetooth.

Quick note though, the firmware programs are only usable with windows atm. I haven't tried wine yet, so there's a chance it would work but I think it's simplest to reboot into windows for firmware updates for the time being.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone understand why they use that two user setup in steam OS? If you need to use the desktop, you really want to use the steam user and not the desktop user. But it's a little fiddle fuck to log into a desktop session with the steam user. Professorkaos even made a script to flip back and forth.

So I guess it's not that bad, but I'm wondering what the logic is with this setup.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone understand why they use that two user setup in steam OS? If you need to use the desktop, you really want to use the steam user and not the desktop user. But it's a little fiddle fuck to log into a desktop session with the steam user. Professorkaos even made a script to flip back and forth.

So I guess it's not that bad, but I'm wondering what the logic is with this setup.
Maybe they do it because by default, steam installs only work for one user.

So, if you want multiple computer users but only one steam user, this helps you use less space by sharing the steam user?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they do it because by default, steam installs only work for one user.

So, if you want multiple computer users but only one steam user, this helps you use less space by sharing the steam user?

So maybe the idea is that multiple people can use it like a console without necessarily having administrative access? But I figure a password would do that.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Had a RX Vega 56 arrive in the mail today. I'll be pulling out my GTX 980. Anything I need to do to prep a stock ubuntu system for the upgrade, or should it just work and I'll be able to remove the NVidia drivers after the swap?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Building a fresh Linux system right now (2700x, Vega56) - I am left wondering how do we test the stability / performance of new graphics hardware? I looked and didn't see for example 3D Mark TimeSpy in Proton DB or Lutris etc. Any ideas / suggestions please. I am loath to install Windows 10 on it just to run benchmarks for a day or two, but I suppose I could. It would be going against my optimistic ideals though!

Last edited:

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Building a fresh Linux system right now (2700x, Vega56) - I am left wondering how do we test the stability / performance of new hardware? I looked and didn't see for example 3D Mark TimeSpy in Proton DB or Lutris etc. Any ideas / suggestions please. I am loath to install Windows 10 on it just to run benchmarks for a day or two, but I suppose I could. It would be going against my optimistic ideals though!
Pime95 is available for Linux, you could also try the Phoronix Test Suite.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man im playing turok. This game is like twice as fast as i remember it being.

Fun as i remember tho. Kinda nostalgia overload.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If you told 1997 mean that I would be playing turok in the year 2019, I would have been imagining some sort of apocalyptic scenario. Or video games becoming illegal and having to play them in a secret bunker... Or some extreme situation. Desert island or something.

And 2019 me would be like "nope".

And then 2017 would be like okay so you're playing super turok 11?

And I'm like "nope. Turok dinosaur Hunter just like you got right here but on a 55-inch TV. "

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My best experience lately has been playing Yakuza 0. Since the Denuvo removal, the game now runs perfectly on Linux. On my last long weekend break from work I just laid back in bed and played that.

Anyone here tried Last Epoch yet?