• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Alright, waiting for DMC 5 to unpack now, I'll update this post with the results.

UPDATE 1: Okay, good news is the game starts and displays graphics correctly in realtime on the start screen. Now to try entering the first mission...

UPDATE 2: More good news, I was able to complete the whole first mission and save the game. As I suspected, the skill list videos don't display (but you can still read the details and it doesn't crash the game). Unfortunately, DXVK's initial shader caching desyncs the audio in the cutscenes, so you'll have to view them once before it's synchronized fully. Some cutscenes don't suffer a great deal from this, while the first couple have it pretty bad. Again, more of an inconvenience than anything to make the game unplayable.

I'm fairly certain that the rest of the game's cutscenes are real-time if the opening was. I'm pretty sure we'll need mfplat to see those skill list videos, but since you can try them before you buy them, I'm gonna' go ahead and play the game now and fiddle with mfplat later. More updates coming over the next few hours as I progress.

UPDATE 3: Just finished Mission 7, wow the missions in this game feel longer than before. Everything's running smoothly so I think we're good to go, guys. If you want to install mfplat just for completeness, here is a good video that I found which includes helpful hints if you happen to be on Arch (or any other distro that defaults to Python 3).

FINAL UPDATE: The game freezes just before the ending credits without mfplat. :\ That kinda' stinks, it means you can't even progress to the next difficulty without mfplat. Ah well, we almost had it easy with this one, but I can at least confirm that installing mfplat with the usual method works to get past this.
Can you check if using this exe makes any difference regarding the crashes or performance?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...-performance-or-over-20.104148/#post-18644716

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Huh for some reason, the game doesn't work at all for me. Just launches into a black screen for a while and crashes

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Xharos I may try later since I don't want to fiddle with the game files too much yet, but I did notice that performance was a bit lower than it should've been on my hardware even considering DXVK and WINE overhead. Others have reported nearly 25% performance increase without Denuvo in DMC 5 on Windows, but of course that may not translate directly into gains for us.

tyfon I'm using an RX 480 with RADV, it runs great aside from some occasional performance issues in certain areas. It looks and plays correctly.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Xharos I may try later since I don't want to fiddle with the game files too much yet, but I did notice that performance was a bit lower than it should've been on my hardware even considering DXVK and WINE overhead. Others have reported nearly 25% performance increase without Denuvo in DMC 5 on Windows, but of course that may not translate directly into gains for us.

tyfon I'm using an RX 480 with RADV, it runs great aside from some occasional performance issues in certain areas. It looks and plays correctly.

Ah, cool.
I have a vega 64 card with RADV as well so the performance should be fine probably :)
Might have to grab it to get the denuvo-less executable too before they remove it. Guess I have to install mfplat into the prefix too.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
discotrigger thank you for the report. It sounds like this is more or less good to go!

That denuvo free exe is great news, too. I haven't been able to bump up my CPU yet because I've been saving for something else.
A Ring!!!!!! :o

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
discotrigger thank you for the report. It sounds like this is more or less good to go!

That denuvo free exe is great news, too. I haven't been able to bump up my CPU yet because I've been saving for something else.
A Ring!!!!!! :o

Oh I'm finally getting a ring from you?! :)

I bought my first set of rings around 9 years ago.. It doesn't get cheaper after that..
Personally I'm also still rocking an old CPU, i7 4770k but it actually does a decent job I feel.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I'm finally getting a ring from you?! :)

I bought my first set of rings around 9 years ago.. It doesn't get cheaper after that..
Personally I'm also still rocking an old CPU, i7 4770k but it actually does a decent job I feel.

I was planning to propose right after I put my 2B avatar back on.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Proton 3.16-8 beta released.
  • Fix for Unity games with the mouse cursor drifting to the bottom-right.
  • Update DXVK to 1.0.
  • Fix for networking in some games, including Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet.
  • Improved steamworks API support for more older games, and some newer games like Battlerite.
  • Fixes for some DX9 games on certain hardware, including Final Fantasy XI.
I wonder if the Unity mouse fix means I can buy Obra Dinn now.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Huh for some reason, the game doesn't work at all for me. Just launches into a black screen for a while and crashes
Not really sure what my issue was. Might have been that I needed to set my Steam Client to beta (I recently switched back from Gentoo to Arch), so I might have not been using the version of Proton I thought I was. IDK, but it works fine for me now ~_~

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure what my issue was. Might have been that I needed to set my Steam Client to beta (I recently switched back from Gentoo to Arch), so I might have not been using the version of Proton I thought I was. IDK, but it works fine for me now ~_~

Some folks a while back were experiencing long black screens and it turned out they just needed to wait for like 5 minutes. Turns out the games needed a long time to build an initial shader cache. Could be that's what happened here?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Proton 3.16-8 beta released.
  • Fixes for some DX9 games on certain hardware, including Final Fantasy XI

300px-Surprised_Pikachu_3D.jpg

There goes all my productivity. Not being able to play this in bed was a big factor in how much sleep I've been getting. Looks like that might change.

Last edited:

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Some folks a while back were experiencing long black screens and it turned out they just needed to wait for like 5 minutes. Turns out the games needed a long time to build an initial shader cache. Could be that's what happened here?
I don't think so because it crashed during the process, but who knows

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

I am getting a similar thing, i think.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Is it actually crashing? (black screen for a while and just suddenly going away) or are you just stuck at the black screen? Since the latter is just what the person above was talking about and is "normal"

I been through the black screen waiting thing and this isn't it.

This seems to close the bpm and i see my desktop with a dmcv window open. The window is black. That stays up fo 1-3 seconds them bam back to bpm.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Well I just bought DMC5 on steam. Going to have a go at this :)

Edit: booted the game just fine, it started like in an instant without any black screens or crashes except one that lasted for a few seconds before it went into "full screen" mode.

I'm using Proton 3.16-8 beta.

Also followed this guide to install mfplat (only run winetricks once without prefix, they do the exact same things)
And I had to remove the first line from installcab.py to remove the incorrect shell bang thing as it's not needed when prepending python2 to the install-mf-64 script.
This has to be done _after_ the first run of the game or you won't have a prefix in the compatdata folder.

My DS4 also works great although I get xbox controller prompts. I guess one can't have it all perfect ;)

No difference in performance between fullscreen and borderless fullscreen.

Now I just need the incoming kernel with freesync as it doesn't hold 144 hz locked with most settings on ultra/high.
It has slightly higher fps in-game vs cut-scenes unsurprisingly as my PS4 pro can't even hold a locked 60 in those cut-scenes.

First screen is cut-scene, second is in-game. FPS number is from DXVK_HUD=fps prefix.

aISFjsU.jpg

TRXv6pd.jpg

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So I have an issue with Devil May Cry 5.

The first boot ran perfectly, got to the menu and went to the graphics settings. The game hard froze when I tried to change from 60Hz to 100Hz, causing me to power cycle my PC.

Now whenever I try to load the game I get a black box for about 5 seconds until it just closes and Steam syncs like I've closed the game.

Any ideas?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So I have an issue with Devil May Cry 5.

The first boot ran perfectly, got to the menu and went to the graphics settings. The game hard froze when I tried to change from 60Hz to 100Hz, causing me to power cycle my PC.

Now whenever I try to load the game I get a black box for about 5 seconds until it just closes and Steam syncs like I've closed the game.

Any ideas?

I think the game stores it's settings in "the cloud", but you can try this to reset it.
Can't guarantee that it will help though.

If I'm not incorrect, having borderless fullscreen will ignore the game hz and just use whatever your desktop is set to.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Damn nothing. Now it doesn't really do anything. You think another version?

That's odd..
Do you have nvidia or amd?

There is also the dmc5config.ini file inside the game folder where you can switch between direct x versions. I see mine has defaulted to DX11 even though I thought the game was defaulting to DX12.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's odd..
Do you have nvidia or amd?

There is also the dmc5config.ini file inside the game folder where you can switch between direct x versions. I see mine has defaulted to DX11 even though I thought the game was defaulting to DX12.

I'm on amd. I guess i can try that out.

You know. I replaced the exe with dunuvo free before i tried anything. When it didn't work, i did validate and steam replaced the exe with the old one. Maybe i should reinstall?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm on amd. I guess i can try that out.

You know. I replaced the exe with dunuvo free before i tried anything. When it didn't work, i did validate and steam replaced the exe with the old one. Maybe i should reinstall?

Doesn't hurt to try. Might also be that the wine prefix now is geared for proton 3.7 instead of 3.16 so a reinstall will remove the old prefix too.
I have amd with the open source drives and all I did was set the version to 3.16 beta and then install the game and run it. No other configurations were needed.
This is on arch linux with steam runtime (not native) btw. That might have some effect too.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Oh crazy.
I've installed the 5.0 kernel without being aware of it. Kernel upgrades aren't what they used to be.

In any case, if you have a distro with relatively rapid update cycles you should have 5.0 now where FreeSync is enabled for the open source AMD driver.
This only works for opengl games and applications (except some blacklisted ones like the window managers) and not for vulkan/DXVK games.

Put the following in some x config file, usually a .conf you put in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
I called mine vrr.conf and it contains the following:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "AMD"
    Driver "amdgpu"
    Option "DRI" "3"
    Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
EndSection

Check with:

Code:
[tyfon@dragonmount ~]$ grep VariableRefresh /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 67757.831] (**) AMDGPU(0): Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
[ 67757.909] (**) AMDGPU(0): VariableRefresh: enabled

Make sure the VariableRefresh: enabled line is there.

Set opengl app to v-sync and voilá :)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't hurt to try. Might also be that the wine prefix now is geared for proton 3.7 instead of 3.16 so a reinstall will remove the old prefix too.
I have amd with the open source drives and all I did was set the version to 3.16 beta and then install the game and run it. No other configurations were needed.
This is on arch linux with steam runtime (not native) btw. That might have some effect too.

YOOOOOOO

It works!

I deleted, set the game to fprce 3.16-8 beta, reinstalled and things are happening!!!!!!!!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Okay the denuvo-less exe works and makes an immediate difference. I'm sure my tekken 7 would run fine with something like that. :/

I know its playable now but im going to try to get the mfplat in so everything is perfect.

Edit. Okay that mfplat thing was a little more complicated than i thought it would be. Can't get it to work. Oh well im gonna play.

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Checking back in to report the same.

Uninstalled the game and manually deleted the prefix in compatdata.
Dragged the files from my Windows install again and clicked install in Steam.
Let it discover the files again and boom. We're back in business!

Gonna try my hand at the mfplat install, now I know how to get back to "working" if anything goes wrong.

Thanks again for your help gang :)

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Okay the denuvo-less exe works and makes an immediate difference. I'm sure my tekken 7 would run fine with something like that. :/

I know its playable now but im going to try to get the mfplat in so everything is perfect.

Edit. Okay that mfplat thing was a little more complicated than i thought it would be. Can't get it to work. Oh well im gonna play.
I eventually got it working, but some parts were a little confusing. Mainly, the fact that Windows puts 64-bit DLLs in System32 and 32-bit compatibility DLLs in WOW64. I guess for legacy reasons, but I got tripped up ~_~

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I eventually got it working, but some parts were a little confusing. Mainly, the fact that Windows puts 64-bit DLLs in System32 and 32-bit compatibility DLLs in WOW64. I guess for legacy reasons, but I got tripped up ~_~

I actually found the mfplay.dll in the system32 directory on an old laptop I have with windows 7.
The windows on it is 64 bit and the md5 sum matches what was recommended in the guide I followed for RE7.

Devil May cry executable itself is also 64 bit.

Code:
[tyfon@dragonmount ~]$ md5sum .local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Devil\ May\ Cry\ 5/mfplat.dll 
2188de5fa5c741fb2b81eb9f37d26ba7  .local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Devil May Cry 5/mfplat.dll

[tyfon@dragonmount ~]$ file .local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Devil\ May\ Cry\ 5/mfplat.dll
.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Devil May Cry 5/mfplat.dll: PE32+ executable (DLL) (console) x86-64, for MS Windows

[tyfon@dragonmount ~]$ file .local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Devil\ May\ Cry\ 5/DevilMayCry5.exe 
.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Devil May Cry 5/DevilMayCry5.exe: PE32+ executable (GUI) x86-64, for MS Windows

So the 64 bit version should work. But I read that the windows 10 version of this file does not work.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I may have tried to use a dll i found laying around on the internet. If i only have 32 bit win 7 installs, am i going to have it or will i have to extract it from something else or...

This game is fucking sick btw.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I actually found the mfplay.dll in the system32 directory on an old laptop I have with windows 7.
The windows on it is 64 bit and the md5 sum matches what was recommended in the guide I followed for RE7.

Devil May cry executable itself is also 64 bit.

So the 64 bit version should work. But I read that the windows 10 version of this file does not work.
Oh, I just meant, I got confused about which mfplat was the 64-bit one because of windows naming conventions, since there is also one in the WOW64 directory.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
So, as I understand it, DXVK shader caches are hardware-specific. Even still, it would be cool to have some caches available for people to download so they don't have to run through the game once before they can hear the cutscenes correctly synchronized. Is there a database for DXVK caches out there somewhere I could contribute to somehow?

Otherwise the best way to experience this game is on the second playthrough (although you can view any cutscene you like from the gallery afterwards). Of course, I only had really bad audio desyncs in a handful of cutscenes, but when it's bad it's really bad. Luckily (or rather, expectedly) everything appears to run perfectly the second time.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
So, as I understand it, DXVK shader caches are hardware-specific. Even still, it would be cool to have some caches available for people to download so they don't have to run through the game once before they can hear the cutscenes correctly synchronized. Is there a database for DXVK caches out there somewhere I could contribute to somehow?

Otherwise the best way to experience this game is on the second playthrough (although you can view any cutscene you like from the gallery afterwards). Of course, I only had really bad audio desyncs in a handful of cutscenes, but when it's bad it's really bad. Luckily (or rather, expectedly) everything appears to run perfectly the second time.
I believe there is a shader pre-caching feature built into Steam that works along those lines, but I'm not sure if it's functional yet or even supported by Proton.

Edit: Quote.
New feature: Shader Pre-Caching. Whenever possible, depending on hardware and driver support, Steam can download pre-compiled shaders for your specific video card. This reduces load times and in-game stuttering during the first few launches of OpenGL- and Vulkan-based games on supported hardware. This feature may use a small amount of additional bandwidth as Steam uploads and analyzes a shader usage report after each run of the game. The feature can be disabled via a new entry in the Settings dialog.

Under Steam Settings, you'll find a new Shader Pre-Caching item. The description reads as follows: "Shader Pre-Caching allows Steam to download pre-compiled GPU shaders matching your system configuration. This allows Vulkan and OpenGL games to load faster and improve framerate stability during gameplay. If enabled, Steam will collect shaders from your system when needed. Enabling this feature may slightly increase disk and bandwidth usage.
Maybe it's not very useful at the moment because graphics drivers and Proton/DXVK are frequently updated causing previous shader caches to be outdated.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Are we expecting steam to be able to download pre-built shader cache is in the future? Am I understanding correctly that its expected or is it just speculation?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Tried Prey and DMC5 on my XFCE Manjaro box, and the framepacing and stuttering was horrendous.

Flipped over to KDE and it's night and day. Super smooth, and once over the initial caching period, plays great.

Now to find a good KDE dark theme lol

the botanist

Jun 18, 2018
When using kde/plasma (also qt on linux in general) make sure to use proper opentype (.otf) fonts for better font rendering since those are properly alpha blended with gamma correction. It kind of has to do with a font rendering engine (for cff fonts) Adobe donated to freetype some time ago and sadly does not apply to TrueType fonts.
Especially on a dark theme this makes a huge difference although it makes less of a difference the higher the dpi of your monitor is.

the botanist

Jun 18, 2018
Xfce is pretty lightweight, thats right. But everytime I tried it there were issues with vsync (amdgpu driver stack here).
You can install a compositor like compton and play with a ton of different options but in my experience either the desktop was tearfree but annoyingly stuttering or it was smooth but with horrendous tearing.
None of these problems need to be dealt with when using something like kwin or mutter.

When it comes to performance check out phoronix.com. They did some comparative benchmarks for different DEs and in the end those basically come out the same. So IMO no need using anything but the DE one feels most comfortable with

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RAM/CPU/etc usage differences between DE's basically doesn't matter when it comes to gaming performance for most people. Problems with the compositor are much more noticeable, and in my experience, the default XFCE one has all kinds of vsync issues.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have issues finding one? I run white on black, customizing colors (exchanging the grays with actual blacks) based on "Breeze Dark".

Sorry to be a pain, but could you screenshot your settings for me? I've not really had time to dive into finding a theme/customising as I've been busy with work.

When using kde/plasma (also qt on linux in general) make sure to use proper opentype (.otf) fonts for better font rendering since those are properly alpha blended with gamma correction. It kind of has to do with a font rendering engine (for cff fonts) Adobe donated to freetype some time ago and sadly does not apply to TrueType fonts.
Especially on a dark theme this makes a huge difference although it makes less of a difference the higher the dpi of your monitor is.

Do you have any font recommendations? I saw a lot of "Noto" suggestions during my quick googling on lunch today.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to be a pain, but could you screenshot your settings for me? I've not really had time to dive into finding a theme/customising as I've been busy with work.
Start System Settings (systemsettings5 from shell if can't find it elsewhere). Go to Appearance > Workspace Theme > Look And Feel > Breeze Dark to set all visual settings to that theme. (On this screen you can also get other looks through the "Get New Looks..." button.)

If you want to tweak details of the theme: Go to Appearance > Colors > Breeze Dark to set the application colors to that and adapt some of the colors using the "Edit Scheme" button. The application style is set through Appearance > Application Style > Widget Style > Breeze, the window decoration through Appearance > Application Style > Window Decoration > Breeze.

Your distribution may not have the theme installed. For Fedora the package is called plasma-breeze, other distributions may call it slightly differently, but I'd expect it to be installed by default along with KDE on most systems.

the botanist

Jun 18, 2018
Do you have any font recommendations? I saw a lot of "Noto" suggestions during my quick googling on lunch today.

Noto Sans is a nice font, although it is TrueType. So rendering will be a bit ugly in a dark theme (too dark, a bit fuzzy, color fringes). A lot of Distros use it by default.
Personally I use IBM Plex Sans. That may just be more like a weird preference, but it is available in OpenType format and has a very nice Monospace variant as well. I'd say either you like it or hate it..
If you like the Apple kinda look I'd suggest trying "Tex Gyre Heros". Sounds a bit obscure but its basically Helvetica in OpenType format.

Heres a quick comparison using the Breeze Dark color theme:

Desktop: TexGyreHeros | Plex | Noto
Sample Text: TexGyreHeros | Plex | Noto