• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Kde plasma is what I'm using currently. It's definitely one of the more polished desktops out there.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Do most people in this thread run Linux as their main OS and are you running Windows on the side in case some game doesn't work on Proton yet?

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I run it as my main OS. I do have a VM with Windows on it with a 2nd GPU passed through to it, but ever since I switched to this Threadripper and gone past linux 4.14, that hasn't worked so well. Not that I ever used it that much anyway. The only thing I was really using it was for Eiyuu Senki.

If I think a game won't work in Linux, I just don't bother usually. Not in the post protondb days.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Xubuntu is my main OS, if the game doesnt run. I just cut my losses and wait to see if it improves. Otherwise, I think of getting a copy on my consoles.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I use Linux pretty much 100% of the time. I set up a Windows 7 VM for my other half on their desktop. I have an extra drive with a Windows 7 install in my desktop. They used to pop up the VM occasionally to use oddball programs but it's been a long time. The last time I used my Windows 7 drive what's to play MechWarrior online a few times like two years ago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do most people in this thread run Linux as their main OS and are you running Windows on the side in case some game doesn't work on Proton yet?
I only have Windows around for a couple of programs at work. I'm 100% Linux otherwise, including my gaming machine. Windows is only on 1 machine, and that's a dual boot which is running Linux 90% of time.

Interestingly, all the work programs I keep Windows around for do have Linux versions (eg: Maple, MATLAB, Comsol), they are just not provided by our department and I sure as hell aren't buying them.

It also helps having a machine with PowerPoint. I prefer to do reveal.js presentations and that's what I use internally. However, occasionally you'll get a conference which wants you to send presentations in advance and they'll only support .PPT/PPTX files opened with MS Office. They are rare, but I've seen a couple. I don't want to risk using LibreOffice or WPS and then discover on the day that their version of MS Office renders it differently. I could probably use Office 365 for a quick check and correct, though.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
As I've mentioned before, I have a gaming laptop with Ubuntu Budgie installed that I use pretty frequently (every day for simple productivity tasks and reading/bed gaming) and then my gaming desktop and translation/video production station in my home office that is a 100% windows machine.

This is less to do with not having faith in proton and more just because I'm a linux newbie and I'm using my laptop as training wheels.

Even with a very "light" windows install with basically nothing other than games and notepad++ installed, I run into issues on the Windows machine frequently enough that I'm looking forward to permanently switching to Linux sometime in the near future. I just recently ran into a huge issue with borked windows updates that prevented me from installing Japanese IME... which, as a translator, made my life basically miserable.

So yeah, As of right now I'm about 40% Linux 60% Windows depending on my workflow, but that percentage is slowly inching towards Linux every day. I think my post history in this thread is enough of an indication of the character arc I'm currently on... hahaha.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Okay so I just jumped back onto Ubuntu 18.10 and found out that the Dualshock 4 now doesn't get auto recognized by Steam anymore like in previous releases, is there any fixes for it that doesn't require installing new software like ds4drv or something?

Kde plasma is what I'm using currently. It's definitely one of the more polished desktops out there.
While KDE certainly feels like one of the most polished DE, it's also one of the most feature-riched and overwhelmed me a whole lot everytime I try it
There're just so many options laying everywhere and it got confusing for me real fast, switched back to gnome to cool down my head for games

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. I noticed a problem with using a 360 controller on 18.10 as well, although using xboxdrv or resetting the modprobe xpad module does the trick there. Not sure if there is a fix for the dualshock without using something like ds4drv, but maybe someone else here will have a better idea.

Seems like this is a pretty big update for EAC: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gami..._asked_easy_anticheats_support_in_regards_to/

Thanks for reaching out!​
While Easy Anti-Cheat already supports native Linux games, unfortunately it is not compatible with the Steam Play emulation yet. We are currently working with Valve to bring the support for Steam Play as well. However, at this time we cannot promise a release date.​
Our apologies for the inconvenience. Despite the troubles, hope you have a great day!​

Also, just a reminder to everyone else: The Figment giveaway ends in under 14 hours! If you are interested, make sure you get your entry in.

Congratulations Kudo for winning the Hollow Knight giveaway. I'll be sending your key soon.

Another giveaway. This time, indie action-adventure puzzle game Figment. Same rules as before:

• Anyone who posts in this thread between now and 12pm GMT Wednesday will be entered into the raffle.
  • Potential entrants must signal that they want it, either by stating so in their post, or by PM.
  • Single word/number posts like "In!" just to guarantee an entry aren't allowed, it needs to be on topic for this thread.

header.jpg

t1550059200z0.png

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
While KDE certainly feels like one of the most polished DE, it's also one of the most feature-riched and overwhelmed me a whole lot everytime I try it
There're just so many options laying everywhere and it got confusing for me real fast, switched back to gnome to cool down my head for games
Once setup to one's liking I consider KDE smooth sailing. Personally I'm running essentially the same config since the KDE 3.x days. KDE 4 was ugly for a long time and was the roughest major version jump of them all due to missing a lot of feature I got accustomed to that took time to return. It helped delaying that upgrade where possible. Other than that I've honestly had far more issues with kernel updates occasionally breaking my timed hibernation setup on my laptop, something systemd added official support for only recently. Running up-to-date Fedora here, system upgrading every two versions.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Since my switch last week I haven't touched Windows at all. It's disappointing that Apex doesn't work, but I want invested enough to switch back just to play it. Been playing heroes of the Storm and Hitman 2 which run as good as native. KotOR2 is a native Linux game, but it runs pretty awful...

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Hi,

I have been mostly absent from this thread as I have not been playing much on my computer due to RSI and the fact that it had an ancient GTX 670.
I received a vega 64 card yesterday and first of boy this is a big card!. Over one kilo.
It also works very well in arch linux with the open source drivers and with proton apparently so now I can actually use my pc for a bit more than paradox games :)

I haven't had windows since about three years ago when I gave up on windows 10 (and windows entirely as I've been using it for gaming) and I have been using linux since around 1993-1994 so I'm very comfortable in the OS. I also used to be a developer on KDE and I've written a couple drivers for the kernel (stopped 15-20 years ago) but now a days I just want to use the computer as I have a full time job and a family.

After I got RSI I started playing mainly on the PS4 and Switch which allowed me to ditch windows completely, but now I am looking forward to try things like theme hospital (can't remember the new name) and maybe a few other games. I just have to pace my self to not injure the hand even more!

In any case it's nice to see there is a community here for the free software people :)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hi,

I have been mostly absent from this thread as I have not been playing much on my computer due to RSI and the fact that it had an ancient GTX 670.
I received a vega 64 card yesterday and first of boy this is a big card!. Over one kilo.
It also works very well in arch linux with the open source drivers and with proton apparently so now I can actually use my pc for a bit more than paradox games :)

I haven't had windows since about three years ago when I gave up on windows 10 (and windows entirely as I've been using it for gaming) and I have been using linux since around 1993-1994 so I'm very comfortable in the OS. I also used to be a developer on KDE and I've written a couple drivers for the kernel (stopped 15-20 years ago) but now a days I just want to use the computer as I have a full time job and a family.

After I got RSI I started playing mainly on the PS4 and Switch which allowed me to ditch windows completely, but now I am looking forward to try things like theme hospital (can't remember the new name) and maybe a few other games. I just have to pace my self to not injure the hand even more!

In any case it's nice to see there is a community here for the free software people :)

I also started getting RSI from gaming. It started with mousing probably 10 years ago. Then, when I was playing nier in 2017, I blew up my right hand playing that. I've played plenty of games where you use the r button to pump a dash rapidly, but never one that lasted 50 hours. I woke up one day and it was fairly inflamed, so I switched the dash to the circle button and it went away.

But lately it's gotten much more sensitive. I was getting really into guilty gear several months ago and I got a hori fighting pad. That pad felt comfortable to hold but it made things far worse. After a week of playing with that, the RSI flamed up real bad.

Now I noticed it playing games with even mild uses r buttons. Old hand is probably not good for it anymore. So I should start mapping heavy actions off of the r buttons. I guess on to the L buttons? I still got one good hand I can fuck up.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I also started getting RSI from gaming. It started with mousing probably 10 years ago. Then, when I was playing nier in 2017, I blew up my right hand playing that. I've played plenty of games where you use the r button to pump a dash rapidly, but never one that lasted 50 hours. I woke up one day and it was fairly inflamed, so I switched the dash to the circle button and it went away.

But lately it's gotten much more sensitive. I was getting really into guilty gear several months ago and I got a hori fighting pad. That pad felt comfortable to hold but it made things far worse. After a week of playing with that, the RSI flamed up real bad.

Now I noticed it playing games with even mild uses r buttons. Old hand is probably not good for it anymore. So I should start mapping heavy actions off of the r buttons. I guess on to the L buttons? I still got one good hand I can fuck up.

Funnily enough it's only mouse actions that pain me the most and I can use a game pad no problem (except if I have to hold the trigger buttons for long).
My RSI problems started playing Warcraft 2 for 14 days straight sometime in the 90s.. I've had issues since but it became so bad that I couldn't do normal work or even use a computer around 2016 and I started gaming on consoles again for the first time since the SNES.

Now my hand is much better so I will attempt some PC gaming again ;)

Oh.. I can't really use the "default" pads, I have to put these on all I have, DS3, Nintendo Pro controller and DS4 (Not an AD, just a life saver):
http://www.playbudz.com/

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I luckily haven't had any controller-based RSI issues unless I'm playing something extremely high APM like Melee on a GC controller, and that only crops up after hours of grinding or playing competitively. But KBAM? Man, my hands hurt so bad after using KBAM for even a small amount of gameplay.

I played Morrowind last year and I couldn't play for more than 2-3 hours at a time because by the end my wrist would be visibly swollen. It was bad! I switched to a trackball at work and for gaming for the better part of the year and the issues went away. I'm back on a mouse now and haven't had many issues, but I use a Steam or Xbone controller when I can so I don't have issues caused by Mouse use.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Now I am installing FFXIV in steam for linux to try to play with my wife on PS4. Had to enable the "allow for all titles" in the steam options though.

I have my 2nd ps4 pro next to my computer too that we usually use for this, but I'm interested in how proton works with online games.
Apex thinks I'm cheating if installing through proton.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Now I am installing FFXIV in steam for linux to try to play with my wife on PS4. Had to enable the "allow for all titles" in the steam options though.

I have my 2nd ps4 pro next to my computer too that we usually use for this, but I'm interested in how proton works with online games.
Apex thinks I'm cheating if installing through proton.
Some games with client side anti cheat (mostly EAC) have issues. I haven't had any issues with anything Blizzard related, and games that use server side anti cheats also should be fine.

Let me know how FFXIV goes, I may give it another try at some point.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Some games with client side anti cheat (mostly EAC) have issues. I haven't had any issues with anything Blizzard related, and games that use server side anti cheats also should be fine.

It's patching after changing the "browser type" to 2 instead of 0 in the steam "My Games" compat folder.
It crashed at first with this nice message: "
無効な操作です。トップページから再度ログインしてください。
(ブラウザの「戻る」ボタンや、複数のウィンドウを開いての操作は行わないでください)"

Basically it means that something went wrong.
It seems to work now (that is updating the game) with browsertype = 2 in this file:
/home/tyfon/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/compatdata/39210/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/My Games/FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn/FFXIV_BOOT.cfg

It says 30 minutes left @ 30 MB/s.. it's a big game..

I'm basically following this german dude's instructions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9bnde4/final_fantasy_14_ffxiv_steam_play_proton_dxvk/

Seems to be more to do after but I'll report when finished too!

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So I had FFXIV running at 1080p/60fps locked (except when streaming textures from the rusted platter I have games on) with proton 3.16 beta..
But I had no sound so I tried to install the xactengine stuff via the youtubers run.sh and after editing the script a bit the ingame browser crashes again with a 404 when launching :p

So still a bit of fiddeling left to get the sound but the performance when it was running was actually stellar.. I'm quite impressed.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

So it works :)
I now know a whole lot more about how proton operates lol

It was actually not too bad to fix in the end.
Forget about the "run.sh" script from the youtuber, it doesn't really work.

1. Download the game in steam and run it til you get the browser error
2. Edit ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/compatdata/39210/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/My Games/FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn/FFXIV_BOOT.cfg and set BrowserType = 2
3. Run the game and patch it up and run till you get black screen (from cutscene)
4. Edit ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/compatdata/39210/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/My Games/FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn/FFXIV.cfg and set CutsceneMovieOpening to 1 instead of 0
5. run: WINEPREFIX="~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/compatdata/39210/pfx/" ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Proton\ 3.16/dist/bin/wine winecfg
6. In the library tabs, add d3d11, dxgi, xaudio2_0 and xaudio2_7 so that they are listed as "native, builtin"
7. ???
8. PROFIT! (run the game)

I get 60 fps, audio, everything seems to work.
I really need to put the game on a SSD drive though as the rusting platter is showing it's age when loading textures and the fps drops.

The FPS numbers etc comes from the launch option it's not there usually.
DXVK_HUD=fps,memory %command%

GPU: Saphire Vega 64
CPU: i7 4770k (ancient but apparently still does the job)

Edit: Run it in borderless window to get fullscreen, fullscreen locks the display and I had to drop to the console to kill the process with kill -9
Edit 2: I went wild and ran it in 4K borderless but the FPS went down to 45 so I guess that is too much for it at high detail. But 1920x1080 is very nice and basically a locked 60

LDlyYU6.jpg

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
A day late, but happy third year anniversary of the Street Fighter V Linux/SteamOS port announcement!

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't realize so many Asian MMOs (including CABAL, a legit hack 'n' slash!) used EAC. This could be exciting just for opening the door to a few more decent MMORPGs. Of course, the Paladins .dll might make these games functional right now; heck, some of these might 'just work' already like Paladins does. Still, if EAC are willing to officially collaborate on Proton compatibility, it could make a big difference and potentially set a precedent for more anti-cheat devs to do the same. Fingers crossed that this 'stalled conversation' gets going again.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Proton 3.16-7 beta released.

Seems to consist mostly of updates to DXVK and FAudio. Nothing particularly earth shattering, but it's always great to see the project move forward and more games being supported. There's mention of restoring previous UPlay functionality, but I'm unable to test and see if that means Ubisoft games work out of the box now.

Edit: Apparently a no on that last part. Seems we'll have to wait until Proton is rebased on WINE 4.0 for that.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I just discovered lutris!
It's so much nicer than playonlinux.

Highly recommended :)

It has probably been discussed here before though.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Working on a co worker laptop. It is an old C55-B5100 Toshiba
This thing is giving me a hard time.
After installing Mint or Ubuntu it fails to load.
I figure there is something wrong with boot order.
The bios seem out dated and wont give me much of a choice on selecting. I have turned UEFI off and tried it on. Same issue, found a program that fixes the boot. Weirdly enough it worked when I used, I shut it down and then it refused to boot back up again. I am wondering if the hdd is shot.

EDIT:
updated bios on LAPTOP
Reinstalled Linux Mint, used boot-repair
Now it boots, new problem.
USERNAME & Password is invalid. Do not know what to do ....
2nd update:
Entered recovery mode
For some reason the user that was created during installation no longer exists
username was : root
no password was created
simply typed in passwd , which allowed me to create a password
I logged in to the system during a boot, but I was not able to create a new user.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
2nd update:
Entered recovery mode
For some reason the user that was created during installation no longer exists
username was : root
no password was created
simply typed in passwd , which allowed me to create a password
I logged in to the system during a boot, but I was not able to create a new user.

In recovery mode there are no "users" and whatnot as you are most likely in the initrd environment and not on the root of the real system.
If you remember what partition you installed the root system on you can mount it (ex mount /dev/sda2 /mnt) and chroot to it
(chroot /mnt /bin/bash).
From there you can enter passwd to set a new root password and/or create a new user, useradd -m <username> && passwd <username>
Then exit the chroot (ctrl+d) and unmount it, (unmount /mnt) then reboot and try to log in as root or new user again when you boot.

But the machine sounds kind of shot.. Ubuntu should just install and boot with no issues afaik. Not very versed in that system myself though.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
In recovery mode there are no "users" and whatnot as you are most likely in the initrd environment and not on the root of the real system.
If you remember what partition you installed the root system on you can mount it (ex mount /dev/sda2 /mnt) and chroot to it
(chroot /mnt /bin/bash).
From there you can enter passwd to set a new root password and/or create a new user, useradd -m <username> && passwd <username>
Then exit the chroot (ctrl+d) and unmount it, (unmount /mnt) then reboot and try to log in as root or new user again when you boot.

But the machine sounds kind of shot.. Ubuntu should just install and boot with no issues afaik. Not very versed in that system myself though.
It doesn't even complete installation. It is actually still booting into live CD, without the USB stick. I am going to look around and see if I have an extra 2 5 hdd lying around somewhere.

Also, if I am in recovery.
Shouldn't ls/home show me all users on the hdd?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It doesn't even complete installation. It is actually still booting into live CD, without the USB stick. I am going to look around and see if I have an extra 2 5 hdd lying around somewhere.

Also, if I am in recovery.
Shouldn't ls/home show me all users on the hdd?

Usually the recovery boots an initrd environment without any relation to your regular install.
You can then mount your root and/or home partitions into this environment to fix them. It's running off a ramdisk not the hard drive.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Seems the old Toshiba C55 series had lots of issues running Linux without tons of work arounds. I just installed Win 7 on my coworker laptop to get it over with.
Still taking for ever to update... Sigh
Anyhow, it is free weekend for BattleTech. Decided to give it a shot. I had no idea what I was getting into, will definitely buy this in the future. Seems to take long to load mission, and it actually crashed during the first mission.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
It's a popular enough game so that you can probably just check ProtonDB a few days after release

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Devil May Cry 4 had no video files to play back outside of the moves list, so if Devil May Cry 5 follows the same tradition (all of the cutscenes we've seen so far are realtime), it should work without modification. It uses the same engine as RE7 and RE2, which only have issues due to video playback. However, my guess is that they might have one or two cutscenes which may require mfplat, and the game would be a bit awkward to play without seeing the demonstrations in the moves list.

I'll be trying it without mfplat as soon as it unlocks tomorrow, I'll let you guys know if the game works when I'm able to launch and play the first mission or two (with or without mfplat).

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, waiting for DMC 5 to unpack now, I'll update this post with the results.

UPDATE 1: Okay, good news is the game starts and displays graphics correctly in realtime on the start screen. Now to try entering the first mission...

UPDATE 2: More good news, I was able to complete the whole first mission and save the game. As I suspected, the skill list videos don't display (but you can still read the details and it doesn't crash the game). Unfortunately, DXVK's initial shader caching desyncs the audio in the cutscenes, so you'll have to view them once before it's synchronized fully. Some cutscenes don't suffer a great deal from this, while the first couple have it pretty bad. Again, more of an inconvenience than anything to make the game unplayable.

I'm fairly certain that the rest of the game's cutscenes are real-time if the opening was. I'm pretty sure we'll need mfplat to see those skill list videos, but since you can try them before you buy them, I'm gonna' go ahead and play the game now and fiddle with mfplat later. More updates coming over the next few hours as I progress.

UPDATE 3: Just finished Mission 7, wow the missions in this game feel longer than before. Everything's running smoothly so I think we're good to go, guys. If you want to install mfplat just for completeness, here is a good video that I found which includes helpful hints if you happen to be on Arch (or any other distro that defaults to Python 3).

FINAL UPDATE: The game freezes just before the ending credits without mfplat. :\ That kinda' stinks, it means you can't even progress to the next difficulty without mfplat. Ah well, we almost had it easy with this one, but I can at least confirm that installing mfplat with the usual method works to get past this.

Last edited:

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for testing it. You're a true warrior of the three kingdoms.

I think I'll just go ahead and get it. I have a few tabs open with mfplat info. Thank god for pcgamingwiki so i can know where the prefix is ~_~