• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Questions:

1. My pc is garbage, AMD x4 860, GTX 660ti, 8GB DDR3. Am I looking at a performance hit of 25% or more?
2. Any open source software that handles weekly incremental backups to external drive? If not, more than willing to pay.

For backups, there are an absolute tonne of options. Rsync (or Grsync for a graphical version) is probably the most widely used, but I've heard good things about Timeshift. Timeshift basically gives you full incremental system restore points like you'd get on Windows.

Your PC is fine, but when using Proton that CPU might cause problems. I don't think it would be a 25% hit, but you might notice it.

I don't think the choice of desktop environment matters much, but KDE offers a pretty good balance between features and performance nowadays (akonadi aside).

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm.... I'm willing to learn rsync, but I'll probably use the GUI app at first. I can only learn so much at once.

As far as the lighter desktop, more resources are left over for wine/proton? I'm specifically talking about gaming performance, as general performance should be fine in most consumer applications.
Rsync has a cool GUI tool called Grsync. I don't think it has all the features of rsync available, but it should be enough.

Lighter desktops mostly free up ram, the CPU hit is pretty tiny for the most part for most desktops.

Proton/Wine translates windows API calls to Linux ones, which AFAIK is mostly a CPU thing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Honestly the desktop shouldn't affect your gaming perfomance too much. My comment had more to do with the overall experience of using the OS in older hardware.

Got it. I'll probably install one of the lighter distros, RAM is something I'll run out of fast.

For backups, there are an absolute tonne of options. Rsync (or Grsync for a graphical version) is probably the most widely used, but I've heard good things about Timeshift. Timeshift basically gives you full incremental system restore points like you'd get on Windows.

Your PC is fine, but when using Proton that CPU might cause problems. I don't think it would be a 25% hit, but you might notice it.

I don't think the choice of desktop environment matters much, but KDE offers a pretty good balance between features and performance nowadays (akonadi aside).

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm thinking about dragging out my old 1tb HDD and going for a trial run first.

Rsync has a cool GUI tool called Grsync. I don't think it has all the features of rsync available, but it should be enough.

Lighter desktops mostly free up ram, their CPU hit is pretty tiny for the most part.

Proton/Wine translates windows API calls to Linux ones, which AFAIK is mostly a CPU thing.

Any games that I'm running up against in CPU wise would be in trouble then.... I have a few later titles that could fit that bill for sure.

Time to break out the old HDD and run it til it dies!!!

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Trying to dual install Ubuntu 18.04 with an AMD GPu, but I get an unending black screen when I select to install it. Anyone have any experience with something like that?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Got it. I'll probably install one of the lighter distros, RAM is something I'll run out of fast.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm thinking about dragging out my old 1tb HDD and going for a trial run first.

Any games that I'm running up against in CPU wise would be in trouble then.... I have a few later titles that could fit that bill for sure.

Time to break out the old HDD and run it til it dies!!!

Great!

There's a tool called gamemode that will help with a slower CPU if you're not overclocked already. It doesn't overclock it, it just makes sure to keep the clock at max while you're in a game. I posted about how to do it on the last page or maybe the one before that.

And make sure you install the latest Nvidia driver. ppa. Heroes will let you change to the latest stable one with a GUI, but you'll want the very latest for using proton.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to dual install Ubuntu 18.04 with an AMD GPu, but I get an unending black screen when I select to install it. Anyone have any experience with something like that?
To me it sounds like some problem with the graphics driver. You can press Esc (iirc?) during boot up in order to get a more verbose output of what's going on.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Could you give us an idea of which AMD GPU you're talking about? Ubuntu 18.04 ships with an older kernel release focusing on long-term stability which may not support your card as well if it's a Vega. I'd advise trying Ubuntu 18.10 if you have more recent hardware.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm in early stages of testing. Figured out some stuff with a soundcard driver. I decided to use Ubuntu 18.04 atm, as I'm framilar with it from work.

Thumper works great, Runner3 launches but I can't see any characters. Gonna have to play with this. Getting latest version of wine.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I finally did it... well, sorta, anyway! I recently built a new desktop for my office so my gaming laptop has now been given the Linux treatment to serve as my testbed and everyday driver for Linux.

I had some issues with Kubuntu (it kept reverting to nouveau no matter what I did, could not get it to stay on proprietary) so I'm just using Ubuntu 18.10 but maybe I'll try out some of the others to see what I like.

The only thing I ended up "losing" on this laptop in the transition was my keyboard lighting and my screen brightness control. It's weird, the keys actually do seem to register on-screen (with the little indicators popping up), but nothing really happens when they are pressed.

I'm booting up Steam now and will test out some games to see how they play! Figure I should use this 1070 for something.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drivers reverting to nouveau sounds exactly like an issue I had once, which was caused by secureboot on my Acer laptop.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever able to get Runner3 to work?
Can't test it myself right now (at work), but people seem to have got it running: https://www.protondb.com/app/516130

If you are on 18.04 it might be because of an out of date MESA version. You can update Mesa by installing the Padoka PPA. I think mesa drivers are incorporated into the kernel, so using the Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility (Ukuu) might be an option too.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in early stages of testing. Figured out some stuff with a soundcard driver. I decided to use Ubuntu 18.04 atm, as I'm framilar with it from work.

Thumper works great, Runner3 launches but I can't see any characters. Gonna have to play with this. Getting latest version of wine.
I finally did it... well, sorta, anyway! I recently built a new desktop for my office so my gaming laptop has now been given the Linux treatment to serve as my testbed and everyday driver for Linux.

I had some issues with Kubuntu (it kept reverting to nouveau no matter what I did, could not get it to stay on proprietary) so I'm just using Ubuntu 18.10 but maybe I'll try out some of the others to see what I like.

The only thing I ended up "losing" on this laptop in the transition was my keyboard lighting and my screen brightness control. It's weird, the keys actually do seem to register on-screen (with the little indicators popping up), but nothing really happens when they are pressed.

I'm booting up Steam now and will test out some games to see how they play! Figure I should use this 1070 for something.

Welcome!!!!

Heres the instructions to make sure your drivers are up to date: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Requirements

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

It's interesting that the keyboard and brightness aren't working for you, those may be metapackages that aren't installed by default with Ubuntu.

Though the distros are somewhat unique from each other in their methodology, the Arch Linux wiki is always a good source of information for solving problems:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight

This should at least help somewhat to get an idea of what to do. There's always the possibility of there being some proprietary thing involved with hardware (driver, firmware, a combination of the two, looking at you Broadcom!) that may or may not be doable, but I am hard-pressed to remember the last time I couldn't get something to Just Work.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Welcome!!!!

Heres the instructions to make sure your drivers are up to date: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Requirements

Thanks! After switching from Kubuntu to Ubuntu I was able to update and set the Proprietary nVidia 415 driver to the default without any issue or lingering Nouveau difficulties.

It's interesting that the keyboard and brightness aren't working for you, those may be metapackages that aren't installed by default with Ubuntu.

Though the distros are somewhat unique from each other in their methodology, the Arch Linux wiki is always a good source of information for solving problems:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight

This should at least help somewhat to get an idea of what to do. There's always the possibility of there being some proprietary thing involved with hardware (driver, firmware, a combination of the two, looking at you Broadcom!) that may or may not be doable, but I am hard-pressed to remember the last time I couldn't get something to Just Work.

Thanks! I think the issue is something proprietary with ASUS. I planned on going through to troubleshoot the issues sometime this week, so I appreciate the link. This is the Laptop I installed on, and everything except the brightness and backlight work correctly so I'm hoping it's a somewhat easy fix.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, reading online it definitely seems like people are having problems with something ASUS related. I assume the screen brightness problem occurs both with Nouveau and Nvidia drivers?

I see this posted somewhere, apparently it works on another Asus laptop:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/104...tness-or-wake-from-sleep-on-asus-rog-lap?rq=1

the "vi" command just needs any text editor. You could just as easily use another text editor instead if that's easier for you.

It's unfortunate that this is your experience, but I guess this can happen with vendor specific things like this.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Also, in case anyone reading doesn't know: you'll have to elevate the privileges of the text editor to change some existing files. Launch it with "sudo gedit" for example. Otherwise, it may not let you save your changes.

You guys probably already know that. But I stumbled on it for a bit the first time and I'm sure there's other people reading who will do the same.

Edit: changed 'gksudo' to 'sudo' after correction below.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, in case anyone reading doesn't know: you'll have to elevate the privileges of the text editor to change some existing files. Launch it with "gksudo gedit" for example. Otherwise, it may not let you save your changes.

You guys probably already know that. But I stumbled on it for a bit the first time and I'm sure there's other people reading who will do the same.
gksudo/gksu was removed in 18.04 IIRC. It was a shame because it was useful, but I think it was causing problems with Wayland so they decided to depreciate it.

For gedit, I now believe you use the admin command:

gedit admin:///etc/default/grub

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
gksudo/gksu was removed in 18.04 IIRC. It was a shame because it was useful, but I think it was causing problems with Wayland so they decided to depreciate it.

For gedit, I now believe you use the admin command:

gedit admin:///etc/default/grub

Oh damn I haven't realized that. Maybe I've only used "sudo gedit" recently? That will work right? It'll just ask your password on the command line and then launch the graphical editor?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn I haven't realized that. Maybe I've only used "sudo gedit" recently? That will work right? It'll just ask your password on the command line and then launch the graphical editor?
sudo works just fine, but it's not recommended because using GUI programs with sudo can cause file corruption problems.

99% of the time it doesn't, it's just a little safer to avoid it.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
It may not be the recommended method of installing drivers, but I found little choice but to install the Nvidia binaries on Debian Stable to be able to take advantage of the latest Proton and Vulkan advances. This mostly just means that I have to make sure to update the drivers anytime I update the kernel, or I could run into trouble. But this is mostly on me for choosing to use Debian Stable, which doesn't have the most up-to-date packages.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I know it's probably a bit less wanted, but if you're not willing to dive into using vim (and I don't blame those unfamiliar with it not wanting to) you can also use nano as your cli text editor. It's easily the most user friendly one without having to remember any odd tricks and you can sudo it all day without doing weird things like sudoing a GUI. If anything, I'd recommend against sudoing a GUI program because it may misbehave in a variety of ways (as Nappael has already said above).

rockmanjoe

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried adding a few GOG games on forced Proton and they failed to run, with either nothing happening or throwing a generic 'file not found' message. Turns out Steam doesn't complete the 'target' field in the shortcut properties if the path contains any whitespaces. So make sure your non-Steam game's folders and filenames don't have any spaces in the path to avoid this.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I tried installing Ubuntu to test out if Origin games could be made to run on Proton, but I think the whole OS scared me away. Seems like so much stuff hidden behind putting obscure text into command lines. And it was a pain installing it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Yeah, reading online it definitely seems like people are having problems with something ASUS related. I assume the screen brightness problem occurs both with Nouveau and Nvidia drivers?

I see this posted somewhere, apparently it works on another Asus laptop:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/104...tness-or-wake-from-sleep-on-asus-rog-lap?rq=1

the "vi" command just needs any text editor. You could just as easily use another text editor instead if that's easier for you.

It's unfortunate that this is your experience, but I guess this can happen with vendor specific things like this.

Oh, it's totally fine! I got it fixed easily. The keyboard backlight still doesn't work yet but I assume I just need to add another line or something somewhere. I barely use the keyboard backlight anyway, I find it kind of garish. So, not a big deal at all for the benefit of ditching Windows on this laptop. Thank you for the link!

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried installing Ubuntu to test out if Origin games could be made to run on Proton, but I think the whole OS scared me away. Seems like so much stuff hidden behind putting obscure text into command lines. And it was a pain installing it.
The command line is very useful for sysadmin and troubleshooting, but very rarely required for standard use. Even then, I would say that the command line is nothing to be afraid of but I can see why it would turn people off.

The Ubuntu installation process is incredibly easy. What was your issue with it? The main stumbling block I see people have are dealing with uefi entries and that's hardly Linux's fault.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
The command line is very useful for sysadmin and troubleshooting, but very rarely required for standard use. Even then, I would say that the command line is nothing to be afraid of but I can see why it would turn people off.

The Ubuntu installation process is incredibly easy. What was your issue with it? The main stumbling block I see people have are dealing with uefi entries and that's hardly Linux's fault.

I had trouble figuring out I kept black screening during installation because I had to add some extra text in an out-of-the-way window, which would not be doable without finding a guide somewhere. And I'm having trouble even getting AMD GPU drivers installed. It doesn't seem very idiot-proof. I've been wondering if I should try SteamOS, because I only actual care about trying games through Steam play, but I don't know if that OS has its own issues as well. Ubuntu has left a bad first impression of Linux for me. Like things that are easy to do in Windows are made much more complicated.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I had trouble figuring out I kept black screening during installation because I had to add some extra text in an out-of-the-way window, which would not be doable without finding a guide somewhere. And I'm having trouble even getting AMD GPU drivers installed. It doesn't seem very idiot-proof. I've been wondering if I should try SteamOS, because I only actual care about trying games through Steam play, but I don't know if that OS has its own issues as well. Ubuntu has left a bad first impression of Linux for me. Like things that are easy to do in Windows are made much more complicated.

It's definitely (well actually not all the time) tougher when you run into a problem. Too bad you had an issue right from the go. Its alright. Try again later!

Wouldn't recommend steamos, tho. :x It's had very annoying glitches lately and you wil be right back into that terminal trying to turn on steamplay because they don't present the option in big picture mode. :<

If you want to take another whack at it sometime, maybe try xubuntu or mint and see if the install goes smoother.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
So is there an updated list of which Linux Ports have been basically obsoleted by Proton? Just curious to see. ProtonDB shows quite a bit, but I've been out of the Linux game so long I'm not sure what the state of ports has been like lately.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the good AMD GPU drivers were in the kernel nowadays. Didn't think you needed to install anything.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you don't need to install AMD's drivers, although a couple distributions don't come with the Mesa Vulkan drivers preinstalled. Perhaps Belmonkey was talking about updating the drivers using the Padoka PPA or something? Otherwise, whatever drivers they're trying to install could actually be the problem. AMD's Pro driver is practically useless outside of Vulkan and OpenCL and the AMDVLK driver has its own weird bugs. The stuff already included in Mesa and the kernel is the best option for general use.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Yeah, you don't need to install AMD's drivers, although a couple distributions don't come with the Mesa Vulkan drivers preinstalled. Perhaps Belmonkey was talking about updating the drivers using the Padoka PPA or something? Otherwise, whatever drivers they're trying to install could actually be the problem. AMD's Pro driver is practically useless outside of Vulkan and OpenCL and the AMDVLK driver has its own weird bugs. The stuff already included in Mesa and the kernel is the best option for general use.

Well all I know is I selected the option to download graphics drivers when installing Ubuntu 18.10. But my Firefox browser was immediately glitchy from the start. Would take seconds to register inputs and mouse Scrolls, along with different browser pages overlapping each other when loading new pages. It seemed like a display driver issue.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Can't test it myself right now (at work), but people seem to have got it running: https://www.protondb.com/app/516130

If you are on 18.04 it might be because of an out of date MESA version. You can update Mesa by installing the Padoka PPA. I think mesa drivers are incorporated into the kernel, so using the Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility (Ukuu) might be an option too.

I got it to work pretty good by switching the third part NVIDIA drivers to 415.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
So apparently Paladins works almost out of the box on the latest game update with Proton 3.16-6. But the number one recommended step is to manually install .NET 4.0 using protontricks. Anyone done this before? I can't seem to find the right command to do that.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got RE2 to try through Proton?

I got it downloaded and can try after work, but that's 8 hours away lol

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna' have to wait for the next version of Proton since the demo required DXVK 0.95 and it hasn't been rolled into Proton yet. Even then, apparently it can't play video files in certain situations including cutscenes which is a pretty big problem. It sounds like the same old mfplat problem which isn't going away for a while, and unfortunately it's unreasonable to expect this to change with the full release.

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You're gonna' have to wait for the next version of Proton since the demo required DXVK 0.95 and it hasn't been rolled into Proton yet. Even then, apparently it can't play video files in certain situations including cutscenes which is a pretty big problem. It sounds like the same old mfplat problem which isn't going away for a while, and unfortunately it's unreasonable to expect this to change with the full release.

Deng, that sucks, thanks for the in depth response.

Looks like it's back to my Windows partition for this one.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Last edited:

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
You know, as unfortunate as it is that some great games can't be played with Proton, it's interesting that in most cases the reasons they don't work are cut and dry. Throughout WINE's development, the reasons things didn't work were often vague and mysterious, so to know that the issues today essentially come down to .NET, mfplat, DRM, and anticheat is almost comforting in a way.

Of course, FAudio still needs a little bit of work and there are still a handful of weird 'who knows' situations, but for the most part the way forward is clear. If the .NET and mfplat stuff get solved this year along with a few more gradual improvements in DXVK and the Vulkan drivers, we could be looking at a very different situation in 2020. If enough players come over and request less invasive DRM and more Proton-friendly anticheat solutions in tandem with these improvements, Linux is going to become much harder to ignore for gaming.

UPDATE: Apparently there's some kind of mfplat.dll 'hack' available, but I can't seem to find any more details. I get the feeling it's using stuff from Microsoft so it's probably not a long-term solution, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some Lutris scripts crop up in the near future. Hopefully it's as easy as just putting a .dll in the game's directory like that EAC solution so people who were waiting for this game can still play it on Linux without much hassle.

ANOTHER UPDATE: It looks like the solution was posted here on a DXVK bug, even though it's entirely unrelated. The solution was originally posted back in September but it doesn't appear to work for every game having mfplat issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got to try this mfplat workaround at some point.

I don't think these could ever be distributed legally though. Microsoft .DLL's would be licensed I'm sure. A different solution is needed long term.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I've got to try this mfplat workaround at some point.

I don't think these could ever be distributed legally though. Microsoft .DLL's would be licensed I'm sure. A different solution is needed long term.
The solution is simple: Black box reimplementation of said DLLs functionality, just like how the rest of Wine came to be.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the relevant bug upstream. It looks like they're not really moving on this, although someone in the bug's thread mentioned ofxWMFVideoPlayer which might be a suitable mfplat replacement much like FAudio was for XAudio. It's unclear whether it encompasses everything necessary to replace mfplat, but I guess all we really need it to do is get those videos playing. No developers have commented on that or any other possible solutions, but it may be worth bringing up to Proton devs since they would probably be more likely to integrate something like this sooner. I'd happily contribute to some bounties to get this .NET and mfplat stuff sorted out sometime in the near future.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it looks like that project actually relies on software exclusive to Windows to run, as well as combining Direct3D with OpenGL which may not work well in this scenario. Writing a new solution tailored to WINE might be the best option.

Last edited:

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
John Carmack was right; Asking developers to make their games Wine/Proton friendly is much better than begging for native ports.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You know, as unfortunate as it is that some great games can't be played with Proton, it's interesting that in most cases the reasons they don't work are cut and dry. Throughout WINE's development, the reasons things didn't work were often vague and mysterious, so to know that the issues today essentially come down to .NET, mfplat, DRM, and anticheat is almost comforting in a way.

Of course, FAudio still needs a little bit of work and there are still a handful of weird 'who knows' situations, but for the most part the way forward is clear. If the .NET and mfplat stuff get solved this year along with a few more gradual improvements in DXVK and the Vulkan drivers, we could be looking at a very different situation in 2020. If enough players come over and request less invasive DRM and more Proton-friendly anticheat solutions in tandem with these improvements, Linux is going to become much harder to ignore for gaming.

UPDATE: Apparently there's some kind of mfplat.dll 'hack' available, but I can't seem to find any more details. I get the feeling it's using stuff from Microsoft so it's probably not a long-term solution, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some Lutris scripts crop up in the near future. Hopefully it's as easy as just putting a .dll in the game's directory like that EAC solution so people who were waiting for this game can still play it on Linux without much hassle.

ANOTHER UPDATE: It looks like the solution was posted here on a DXVK bug, even though it's entirely unrelated. The solution was originally posted back in September but it doesn't appear to work for every game having mfplat issues.

I think I know what you mean about the obstacles being clear cut. Now that I think about it, that's how it's been. One problem after another is solved. It's reassuring.

I'm really happy to see my favorite operating system now got more interest from gamers.

It's amazing. I'm hoping for a community of a few million users one day. Heavy with power users and enthusiasts. That would be fun and everyone could be realistically supported by just making games more or less proton-friendly.

John Carmack was right; Asking developers to make their games Wine/Proton friendly is much better than begging for native ports.

I think more people are seeing it now that its happening. I think it was alot more divisive before proton. When i very first got into linux i thought native ports where very important but after getting to know more, i changed my mind.

Everything we run is on to of a fat stack of software anyhow. An extra translator for windows format software is really not a big deal. And our stack is all open source so it's better than those other stacks anyhow. 😗
I have a question for you guys. My cpu is too dinky and im looking to plug in something hotter very soon. I have a ryzen 3 1300X. I guess i need much better single core performance for aaa(heavy) games on proton.

I'm seein

ryzen 5 1600X
ryzen 7 1700
ryzen 5 1500X

Each for $116.00. That's 101eur.
∆∆∆ edit: these prices are horse shit. These cpus are more like ~$180

What do you think? This is not that much money for me and i want really good boost Now. Pronto.

You guys think any of these will do the job or should i spend a more? $200 (175eur) is about the most i would spend.

Last edited: