• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
Asus Zephyrus G14

You'll find them at Best Buy in the US. YMMV outside.
Thanks but a bit expensive. $1600 while the HP Omen I was looking at is only $1050. I'm buying a laptop mostly because of school, probably won't game that much on it but I'm definitely interested in having that possibility. Maybe a 3050 ti will be enough for me.. Or the big screen on the HP is fine 😬

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks but a bit expensive. $1600 while the HP Omen I was looking at is only $1050. I'm buying a laptop mostly because of school, probably won't game that much on it but I'm definitely interested in having that possibility. Maybe a 3050 ti will be enough for me.. Or the big screen on the HP is fine 😬
Yeah, unfortunately you missed the sale during the weekend for 1099 :(

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Is a 17" 1080p screen alright? I would need a weekend laptop but it doesn't need to be a high-end machine. Bigger screen is the focus and a 3060 would be enough. I am eying the Strix G17 but I am a bit worried about pixel density.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Is a 17" 1080p screen alright? I would need a weekend laptop but it doesn't need to be a high-end machine. Bigger screen is the focus and a 3060 would be enough. I am eying the Strix G17 but I am a bit worried about pixel density.
17" 1080p has a P[PI of ~127, it's been more than fine and sharp for over a decade. The new 1440p and 1600p screens are dope, but the high refresh 1080p displays didn't suddenly get worse.

The 1080p/240Hz that is in my GT76 is stupid pretty. Just make sure you get a screen with good color gamut.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
17" 1080p has a P[PI of ~127, it's been more than fine and sharp for over a decade. The new 1440p and 1600p screens are dope, but the high refresh 1080p displays didn't suddenly get worse.

The 1080p/240Hz that is in my GT76 is stupid pretty. Just make sure you get a screen with good color gamut.
Good to know, thanks.
How would I get those infos? On the official websites they all claim 100% sRGB for the latest G17s.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Is someone willing to suggest what I would need to play this gen games on a laptop? What kind of gpu would I need. I'm looking at 3050ti laptops, but will I be able to play, say, FF7 remake part 2 when it comes out in 1080p?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Is someone willing to suggest what I would need to play this gen games on a laptop? What kind of gpu would I need. I'm looking at 3050ti laptops, but will I be able to play, say, FF7 remake part 2 when it comes out in 1080p?
This generation's exclusives are going to require 6GB VRAM and a 6 to 8 core CPU, even at 1080p. You'd be wise to acquire an RTX 3060.

Don't be shocked when the system requirements for PC games on the GPU side becomes the RTX 2060, over the coming year.

Good to know, thanks.
How would I get those infos? On the official websites they all claim 100% sRGB for the latest G17s.
What info are you seeking? Reviews are really the only sure bet tbh, unless you find out what exact panel it is and look up the hardware info online.

Every premium laptop has 99-100% sRGB coverage now

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Part 2 will be more demanding vs 1 but it's also years away on PC. I would shoot for at least 3060 or AMD equivalent personally if that's the target aim.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Something to keep in mind with the Omens, they dont have a numpad if you potentially need that for school. HP's cheaper line of gaming laptops is called Victus, and they do have numpads for some reason. I've used an Omen for almost two years now and the Victus machines we have at work seem to be very similar build quality.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This generation's exclusives are going to require 6GB VRAM and a 6 to 8 core CPU, even at 1080p. You'd be wise to acquire an RTX 3060.

Don't be shocked when the system requirements for PC games on the GPU side becomes the RTX 2060, over the coming year.

What info are you seeking? Reviews are really the only sure bet tbh, unless you find out what exact panel it is and look up the hardware info online.

Every premium laptop has 99-100% sRGB coverage now

Part 2 will be more demanding vs 1 but it's also years away on PC. I would shoot for at least 3060 or AMD equivalent personally if that's the target aim.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. And thank you for giving me the Ram size to aim for.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What is the budget you have in mind for your new machine? I mean the absolute maximum you can spend.
I wouldn't want to spend more than $1000, but would like to target lower if I could.

I have a switch and XSX. The PC would be for any Japanese games that don't release on xbox and emulation. Would like to emulate switch since I could dump my games on the model switch I have, but if I can get up to PS3 that would be nice

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I wouldn't want to spend more than $1000, but would like to target lower if I could.

I have a switch and XSX. The PC would be for any Japanese games that don't release on xbox and emulation. Would like to emulate switch since I could dump my games on the model switch I have, but if I can get up to PS3 that would be nice
Should be workable. Look for laptops on sale starting now for "Back for School" through Christmas basically and shoot for GeForce 3060+ or AMD 6700 and modern CPU (12th gen Intel or 5000/6000 series AMD). That will get you fine emulation for basically everything and modern games with a bit lowered settings at 1080p/60fps.

Edit: Should add this is US, if you in Canada, EU, UK, AU, etc, your mileage will vary.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Should be workable. Look for laptops on sale starting now for "Back for School" through Christmas basically and shoot for GeForce 3060+ or AMD 6700 and modern CPU (12th gen Intel or 5000/6000 series AMD). That will get you fine emulation for basically everything and modern games with a bit lowered settings at 1080p/60fps.

Edit: Should add this is US, if you in Canada, EU, UK, AU, etc, your mileage will vary.
I'm in the US. Thanks for your input. I'm excited as I haven't had new hardware since a 2gb 960.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018

If you're in Europe, no way will you get anything above 3050Ti on that budget. I myself recently got a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with an Intel i7 11th (not even 12th) gen cpu with a 3070 and that cost me almost €1800. A 3060 costs around €1500. MSI has some deals here right now and even those like the Katana GF66 with a 3060 go for €1150. Asus Zephyrus G14 with a 3050Ti is now on sale for €1000, and that was €1500 a few days ago.

Edit: I just read you're in US, so my post doesn't apply to you.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Yeah agree here and should also mention that the RX 6600M is on the table as well.

But when there are already laptops like this Gigabyte G5 with a 6-core/12-thread Intel and RTX 3060 selling for $999, you can see that your goal should not be all that hard to accomplish as prices continue to drop.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah agree here and should also mention that the RX 6600M is on the table as well.

But when there are already laptops like this Gigabyte G5 with a 6-core/12-thread Intel and RTX 3060 selling for $999, you can see that your goal should not be all that hard to accomplish as prices continue to drop.
Yep, and 6600 isn't a bad GPU but I feel you can get a better GPU for not much more and if one is planning to keep the machine for a few years, it's worth it.

Just read up on European prices and that sucks. One caveat is that US prices don't include taxes which can be up to 10% or so depending on the state/county. Well, or it could be zero of course.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
Something to keep in mind with the Omens, they dont have a numpad if you potentially need that for school. HP's cheaper line of gaming laptops is called Victus, and they do have numpads for some reason. I've used an Omen for almost two years now and the Victus machines we have at work seem to be very similar build quality.
Thanks man, don't think I'll need a numpad. Infact I don't think any of the 14" laptops I've seen has one.

Anyway, I settled for an Acer Swift X 14" 2022 model. It is really neat so far, cost me $1300 in Sweden.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What would be a good price point to pull the trigger on a laptop with those kind of specs?
I guess I have to be clear in my view, that I would never spend $3k on any laptop regardless of the specs. That said, if you are spending $3k, you should expect to be getting in return a 3080 Ti w/ 16GB VRAM, not a 3070 Ti with just 8GB. Lenovo puts a huge premium on the display, which is indeed the best in class, so I suppose you have to decide if the screen with worth THAT much to you.

I personally put the specs at most $2299, similar to the GE67HX which has the same CPU and GPU along with a still impressive 1440p/240Hz display.

Last edited:

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Anyone got any experience with buying straight from Lenovo? Ordered a Legion 5 Pro 2022 model almost three weeks ago, despite the EU website saying it ships within a week. I at least got a 5% price cut for complaining, but still no answer on when exactly it'll ship.

Oct 28, 2017
I posted before about being interested in a gaming laptop that I would also use for learning to code but in the end I decided whatever I chose would be too heavy to carry around. I instead ordered a Yoga 770 2-in-1 (known as Yoga 7 in some other markets). I mention it here because it has an AMD 6800U CPU with 680m integrated graphics, which I believe is currently the most powerful offering from AMD (and is significantly faster than Intel's Iris XE). I haven't had a chance to try out many games yet but it seems great for anything but the most demanding titles and I would be happy to try and provide some benchmarks if anyone is interested.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was looking into a Surface Pro for note taking and some programming for personal use. Ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy Book2 360 at Best Buy for 699.

For OneNote and Python is now than enough. If I need more power got my Desktop or my Zephyrus S15.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I posted before about being interested in a gaming laptop that I would also use for learning to code but in the end I decided whatever I chose would be too heavy to carry around. I instead ordered a Yoga 770 2-in-1 (known as Yoga 7 in some other markets). I mention it here because it has an AMD 6800U CPU with 680m integrated graphics, which I believe is currently the most powerful offering from AMD (and is significantly faster than Intel's Iris XE). I haven't had a chance to try out many games yet but it seems great for anything but the most demanding titles and I would be happy to try and provide some benchmarks if anyone is interested.
Run 3DMark Timespy and Firestrike on that bish please. I'm curious.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
If anyone is interested I posted my Dell G15 in bts it's a 6800H and has a 3070 ti. Don't want to sell it but having some really serious tree issues in our yard that have to be dealt with and it's gonna cost me boat loads lol trying to not screw my savings too much

LeGrandBouquetBlanc

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Well there definitely seems like something's wrong with the 3080 laptop I got from Eluktronics, GPU is underperforming across the board despite being Eluktronics no cut corners max power 3080. Can deal with the camera being offside in the frame but something isn't right with the numbers I'm seeing.

LeGrandBouquetBlanc

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Figured out the issue, power draw was limited so maxed out that sucker and boy is this laptop fast! Fans run like a jet engine when at max tdp but it's worth it. Key board is great, screen is amazing and the only complaint is the speakers aren't amazing

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've owned a good number of gaming laptops that had great speakers, but that I guess those days are over now that the race to thinness is all that matters.

Those 12th gen MSI GP76 laptops seem juicy. Any experiences in here with this particular line ? Noise, built quality?
GP76 is pretty much the GE76 without all of the bling. Good laptop.

Don't be shocked if the fans ramp up during intense gaming though, it just is what it is.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
While not for gaming, I was forced to switch to a (shitty) laptop for work and I have it hooked up to a docking station. You can see details in the thread I made about it:

www.resetera.com

Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread OT

What’s currently considered the best ultra book for gaming? My desktop died and I’m looking at upgrading my laptop instead of building a new desktop since I’ll be moving around a bit.

I figure cooling is a fairly universal thing, gaming or no, so I figured I would ask here if anyone has solution ideas for me.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So, question: Is it normal for my GE65 with an i7 9750H and an RTX 2070 to ALWAYS be at 95ºC for the CPU and 86ºC for the GPU while gaming? (which happens to be exacly the thermal throttling point for both) The CPU stays at around 3.5 GHz while gaming. Nothing can bring the temperatures down except for disabling turbo. Undervoling the CPU makes the average clock speed slightly higher, but it does not decrease the temperatures.

I've tried multiple thermal pastes. Right after a repaste, the temperatures are somewhat lower, but after 1-2 days they settle again to 95ºC and 86ºC respectively.

I suspect that I might have a very uneven cooler or something, so I've purchased this thing after seeing people recommending it on Twitter:

Honeywell 7950 phase change thermal pad notebook computer phase change silicone grease cpu thermal paste pad patch material

Other Computer Peripherals Honeywell 7950 phase change thermal pad notebook computer phase change silicone grease cpu thermal paste pad patch material

Maybe it'll work better than traditional thermal paste, maybe it won't. idk. I'll post results once I have it.

I understand that cooling a laptop is hard, but constantly being at the maximum possible temperature seems really really bad.

shadewolf

Oct 27, 2017

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So, question: Is it normal for my GE65 with an i7 9750H and an RTX 2070 to ALWAYS be at 95ºC for the CPU and 86ºC for the GPU while gaming? (which happens to be exacly the thermal throttling point for both) The CPU stays at around 3.5 GHz while gaming. Nothing can bring the temperatures down except for disabling turbo. Undervoling the CPU makes the average clock speed slightly higher, but it does not decrease the temperatures.

I've tried multiple thermal pastes. Right after a repaste, the temperatures are somewhat lower, but after 1-2 days they settle again to 95ºC and 86ºC respectively.

I suspect that I might have a very uneven cooler or something, so I've purchased this thing after seeing people recommending it on Twitter:

Honeywell 7950 phase change thermal pad notebook computer phase change silicone grease cpu thermal paste pad patch material

Other Computer Peripherals Honeywell 7950 phase change thermal pad notebook computer phase change silicone grease cpu thermal paste pad patch material

Maybe it'll work better than traditional thermal paste, maybe it won't. idk. I'll post results once I have it.

I understand that cooling a laptop is hard, but constantly being at the maximum possible temperature seems really really bad.
Limit Turbo to around 3.5 Ghz, you can't see it but it's trying to speed up and those spikes are what's keeping it high.

There is a TDP tool that was made by Ciphray for GPD Win devices, this is pretty useful for Intel CPUs.

TDP Bat menu

Supports Intel and AMD chips

The purpose of this is to set TDP undervolts and a few other
settings quickly to get the most out of our systems
to use it, extract the zip to a folder where you'd like to keep it
and run the TDP_UV_MENU_FAST.BAT file
there's an option for creating a desktop shortcut in the menu itself
or you can create your own shortcut to this file manually

It currently features the following
TDP Controls (including tiger lake)
Undervolting (Pre Tiger Lake only such as the win 2 and win max)
Intel Power Balance (useful for tuning performance at low tdps)
GPU/CPU Clock speed controls (useful for tuning performance at low tdps)
Speedshift Controls (useful for power saving)
Windows Power Profile tweaks
Core Parking (Useful for saving power or gaining performance)
Turbo settings

Supports Undocked and Docked configurations (phawx's method)
run the docksetup.bat file for this

Supports per exe profiles, drop your game exe onto the Auto.bat file
while you have your preferred settings active

It can be set to apply when the system wakes from sleep
which will also set it to apply at boot if you have fastboot
enabled

It also has support for TDP/core parking on Ryzen chips

RandoPercy

Jun 12, 2022
So what are the differences between the MSI Vector GP66 and the Vector GP66 HX???

Also would a Vector be too heavy to carry around school campus?? I currently use a Macbook Air btw

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

The fans and the heatsink grilles are completely free of dust/dirt, right? Sorry to ask the dumb questions but might as well. I ask because I saw someone do this post and follow up on another forum in regard to the same machine:

Hi! Over the past year, I have repasted my MSI GE65 Raider 9SE THREE times due to bad CPU temperatures but they still go above 95-100 degrees.
Specs are: i7-9750H, RTX 2060, 32 GB RAM

I have tried different repasting methods; the dot method, the line method, have also applied it less and more but to no avail.

The weird thing is: right after repasting, for 3-4 hours, the temperatures go down to 70-80 degrees on FULL LOAD and the CPU boosts up to 4 Ghz. But after a couple of hours, or a day, the temperatures go back right up to 95-100 and the CPU throttles back to 3.4Ghz or even lower.

I have also applied an undervolt of -0.144 but it doesn't affect the temperatures even minutely.

Currently, I have disabled turbo boost and the CPU is hitting 75 degrees at 2.6Ghz.

I do video editing so the low clock rates are hurting my render times.

Also, the thermal paste gets evenly spread across the CPU whenever I apply the thermal paste so the issue isn't caused by a bent heatsink or anything.

Is there anything else I can do?
I finally fixed the temperature issue in my MSI GE65 Raider 9SE. It was never the thermal paste or throttlestop or the BIOS. It was simply the fans. They were CLOGGED with dust. The cooling fins were JAMMED and fully clogged with dust. I cleaned the fans, repasted my laptop with Kryonaut and also applied K5 PRO on the VRMs and now my laptop is under 80 degrees with full load, operates on 90W without any temperature increase or without any underclock. I think you should advise others to clean up the fans too because nobody gave me this suggestion on ANY forum at all.

Otherwise, the 9750H normally runs hot, yes. Intel designed it to run in the 90s safely with intent and undervolting it only frees up more headroom for it to maintain boost frequencies instead of lowering temps as one would typically expect.

If the high-quality thermal paste is not doing the job then I'd have to agree that there may be an issue with heatsik contact, but if your paste is evenly spread over the die whenever you are removing the sink then I don't think we can point to that as the issue.

Is this in stock near anyone in the US? None near me in CT but I'd be willing to pay if someone could manage to grab one!

slickdeals.net

Select Walmart Stores: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H, 16", RTX 3070, 16GB RAM $899 (In-Store at Select Locations)

Select Walmart Stores [store locator] have Lenovo Legion 5 Pro Laptop (82JQ00F9US) on sale for $899 (in-store price). Available for purchase in-store only. Thanks to community member sdbuckeye ...
It's in stock near me but not for that crazy supposed $899, in the $1300s in my area. I couldn't even find that in Columbus.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So what are the differences between the MSI Vector GP66 and the Vector GP66 HX???

Also would a Vector be too heavy to carry around school campus?? I currently use a Macbook Air btw
Looking between the GP66 and GP66 HX pages, the latter has the higher wattage HX CPUs and the 1440p/240Hz display.

The GP66 weighs 5.2lbs/2.38kgs, that would be nothing for me to carry but you decide.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been reading about limiting the power of the laptop to 90% - 80% to extend battery life, is it true? with gaming laptops you mostly use it plugged anyway so is this that detrimental to battery life?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been reading about limiting the power of the laptop to 90% - 80% to extend battery life, is it true? with gaming laptops you mostly use it plugged anyway so is this that detrimental to battery life?
Keeping the max charge at 60 to 80 percent extends battery life in terms of cell capacity, yeah.

You degrade Li-Ion batteries faster by charging them to 100% constantly.

You can see it with phones. Some now allow you to limit to 85% max charge.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
GP76 is pretty much the GE76 without all of the bling. Good laptop.

Don't be shocked if the fans ramp up during intense gaming though, it just is what it is.
Which of those would you recommend?
The Strix is a little bit cheaper. I guess there is an argument for Thunderbolt.

edit: whoops wrong laptop, just a sec.

edit2: out of stock anyway, haha. bad luck.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
My nephew wants a laptop to be able to connect his Oculus to with that accessory cable.

I have my i9/2080 Area 51M sitting collecting dust. May give it to him. It has a TB3 port. Should there be any issue? Anything I should consider before getting his hopes up?