• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for gaming laptop on Amazon there's this one

Deal of the day for Prime Members: MSI Creator M16 16" Content Creation Laptop: Intel Core i7-12650H RTX 3060 32GB 1TB NVMe SSD, QHD+ 16:10 60Hz 100% DCI-P3, 180-Degree Lay-Flat, Cooler Boost Trinity+, Win 11: Black A12UEV-468 https://a.co/d/hoN641E

Or go with Alien ware

Deal of the day for Prime Members: Alienware M15 R6 Gaming Laptop - 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 1ms 360Hz Display, Core i7-11800H, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB Graphics, Windows 11 Home - Black https://a.co/d/aHVaxNn

I'm looking for gaming, VR (I have an Quest 2 so I don't need all the graphics but want to expand VR library) and video editing. Sugestions?

EDIT: I looked at non-primeday sales and this dell with 64 gigs of RAM looks good
Alienware has the strongest GPU

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Looking for gaming laptop on Amazon there's this one

Deal of the day for Prime Members: MSI Creator M16 16" Content Creation Laptop: Intel Core i7-12650H RTX 3060 32GB 1TB NVMe SSD, QHD+ 16:10 60Hz 100% DCI-P3, 180-Degree Lay-Flat, Cooler Boost Trinity+, Win 11: Black A12UEV-468 https://a.co/d/hoN641E

Or go with Alien ware

Deal of the day for Prime Members: Alienware M15 R6 Gaming Laptop - 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 1ms 360Hz Display, Core i7-11800H, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB Graphics, Windows 11 Home - Black https://a.co/d/aHVaxNn

I'm looking for gaming, VR (I have an Quest 2 so I don't need all the graphics but want to expand VR library) and video editing. Sugestions?

EDIT: I looked at non-primeday sales and this dell with 64 gigs of RAM looks good
The 4GB VRAM on the 3050 Ti limits its longevity severely, I'd void that as an option entirely.

I'd take the Creator if the priority is editing, the Alienware if it's gaming.

Phew. I guess I should do more reading. Thought I just bricked my laptop when I set the core voltage offset seemingly kinda high. It wouldn't restart, but was able to find out how to reset bios with the power button and we're back in business for now,
You literally can't do any damage undervolting, worst that happens is you go too far and the systm freezes and you have to back it off until you find the stable offset.

It's the over-volting you have to be careful about, you aren't going to hurt anything by taking away too much power.

Idk if it's actually better or not, but I use QuickCPU because I like the GUI better
I'll have to check that out, next time i have a laptop which can undervolt in software.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Coming back here for a second opinion, with the budget allocated I have a choice between an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop with GTX 1650/16GB/Ryzen 5 5600H and an Acer Nitro 5 with a 3050/8GB RAM/Core i5-11400H.

both have room for expandability in the RAM department so in the future I could get better RAM cards installed should I need it (I know the 8GB will be a constraint as time goes on)

All said and done, aside from regular school work my use case is gonna be primarily to play FFXIV, Indies and most JRPGs that come out on Steam with the occasional AAA gaming if I get to grab a game for a good price during a Steam Sale. I have not heard opinions on either brand when it comes to quality so I'm wondering if there was any here to make a more informed decision.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Coming back here for a second opinion, with the budget allocated I have a choice between an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop with GTX 1650/16GB/Ryzen 5 5600H and an Acer Nitro 5 with a 3050/8GB RAM/Core i5-11400H.

both have room for expandability in the RAM department so in the future I could get better RAM cards installed should I need it (I know the 8GB will be a constraint as time goes on)

All said and done, aside from regular school work my use case is gonna be primarily to play FFXIV, Indies and most JRPGs that come out on Steam with the occasional AAA gaming if I get to grab a game for a good price during a Steam Sale. I have not heard opinions on either brand when it comes to quality so I'm wondering if there was any here to make a more informed decision.

Thanks!

The Asus would be the much better choice, especially for your use case. Though, others here might suggest you to get a laptop with a 2060 with more GPU RAM.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
The Asus would be the much better choice, especially for your use case. Though, others here might suggest you to get a laptop with a 2060 with more GPU RAM.

you mean the Acer, that's what I'm kinda gravitating towards atm. as for 2060 laptops, the options in my region can be best described as scarce at best, there are usually very very rare and even if they are available, they are not from proper channels. GTX 1650s seems to be the baseline with the 3050 being the next best option.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up ordering a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro on Amazon. I've been hearing good words about this model.

I went with the one with a 3060, 16GB ram, 500 GB SSD, and Ryzen 7 for ~$1400. Another seller had one with a 3070 for about $100 more, but I just debated and found this one was enough for me. I'm pretty excited to get it, since it's got the good screen (1600p, 165hz gsync 500 nits). I also ordered another SSD to fit in for expanded space.

I'm upgrading from an older Lenovo Legion Y520. I'm eager to jump up because of the screen and being able to comfortably play current gen games for the next 4 years or so. I'm not so worried about maxing settings or higher res, so it should work for the duration of this gen. I also am going to be staring at my screen for hours, as I'm doing more and more editing work, so having a good screen is important.
-
After debating all the choices, it just felt like moving to another, better Legion was a good move compared to the other offers of different brands I saw for a similar price. I'm also cool with Lenovo Legion software and general build for gaming laptops.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Thanks!
What is your actual budget?

Plum

May 31, 2018
All of a sudden my laptop is running at like 65-70c idle. I've cleaned the fans, I've even ran them at full-speed for a while and it didn't drop below that.

...gooood, I fucking hate PC gaming lol

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
All of a sudden my laptop is running at like 65-70c idle. I've cleaned the fans, I've even ran them at full-speed for a while and it didn't drop below that.

...gooood, I fucking hate PC gaming lol
Is it downloading a windows update or updating your steam library in the background?

If your CPU usage isn't actually idle in task manager, I wouldn't worry. Sounds like it's just doing stuff to me.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is it downloading a windows update or updating your steam library in the background?
Nope :( I've looked into every potential 'sneaky hidden running thing' and there's nothing there; my CPU usage is at 5% max and with the power mode I'm on the clocks literally don't go above stock speeds. The only thing that's weird is my GPU is at 7GHz Memory Clock and 1920 GPU Clock, which seems... very high. But I can't turn it down, and I didn't turn it up, and it's not being used.

I did play some VR earlier and that changes the Power Profile to High Performance Mode automatically, but this has been continuing through multiple shutdowns since then so who knows.

As I said... fuck PC gaming :P

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Nope :( I've looked into every potential 'sneaky hidden running thing' and there's nothing there; my CPU usage is at 5% max and with the power mode I'm on the clocks literally don't go above stock speeds. The only thing that's weird is my GPU is at 7GHz Memory Clock and 1920 GPU Clock, which seems... very high. But I can't turn it down, and I didn't turn it up, and it's not being used.

I did play some VR earlier and that changes the Power Profile to High Performance Mode automatically, but this has been continuing through multiple shutdowns since then so who knows.

Did you download chrome? That famously uses GPU/Ram needlessly.

If you're not in discrete GPU mode your GPU shouldn't be just sitting at 1920mhz, it should be using the integrated graphics. Generally on laptops 'balanced' power plan is better to use than 'high performance' imo.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Did you download chrome? That famously uses GPU/Ram needlessly.

If you're not in discrete GPU mode your GPU shouldn't be just sitting at 1920mhz, it should be using the integrated graphics. Generally on laptops 'balanced' power plan is better to use than 'high performance' imo.
I do use Chrome, yeah; but it's never been as bad as this even.

Seems like I might have 'fixed' the problem, though I have no idea how lol. I use the Discrete GPU all the time as VR completely fucks up otherwise, but it always clocks up and down as you'd expect. However something was causing it to stay at those incredibly high clock speeds, and for some reason turning off Lenovo Vantage stopped that.

Computer's still too hot for what it should be, but at least it's not 70 during low usage anymore...

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I do use Chrome, yeah; but it's never been as bad as this even.

Seems like I might have 'fixed' the problem, though I have no idea how lol. I use the Discrete GPU all the time as VR completely fucks up otherwise, but it always clocks up and down as you'd expect. However something was causing it to stay at those incredibly high clock speeds, and for some reason turning off Lenovo Vantage stopped that.

Computer's still too hot for what it should be, but at least it's not 70 during low usage anymore...
You may check and see if there are any software updates pending inside of Lenovo Vantage just in case, maybe it was downloading something in the background? I think that's where you get BIOS updates and stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
Ended up ordering a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro on Amazon. I've been hearing good words about this model.

I went with the one with a 3060, 16GB ram, 500 GB SSD, and Ryzen 7 for ~$1400. Another seller had one with a 3070 for about $100 more, but I just debated and found this one was enough for me. I'm pretty excited to get it, since it's got the good screen (1600p, 165hz gsync 500 nits). I also ordered another SSD to fit in for expanded space.

I'm upgrading from an older Lenovo Legion Y520. I'm eager to jump up because of the screen and being able to comfortably play current gen games for the next 4 years or so. I'm not so worried about maxing settings or higher res, so it should work for the duration of this gen. I also am going to be staring at my screen for hours, as I'm doing more and more editing work, so having a good screen is important.
-
After debating all the choices, it just felt like moving to another, better Legion was a good move compared to the other offers of different brands I saw for a similar price. I'm also cool with Lenovo Legion software and general build for gaming laptops.
Hi, did you get your Legion 5 Pro yet? I'm debating getting one from the outlet and I'd be interested in your impressions.

I'm actually looking for a laptop I can use to start a career in coding and everyone is recommending a Macbook - but I've never used a Mac and Apple has just raised the prices another 15% cos of the shit exchange rate where I am. Plus if I'm going to spend that much on a new computer it might as well let me play games!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

-
Just $100 to jump to a 3070 is not something you want to be passing up on with a 2560x1600 display.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just $100 to jump to a 3070 is not something you want to be passing up on with a 2560x1600 display.
Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Well, I might end up getting it, because it looks like UPS is late and I can get a refund tomorrow if it doesn't arrive today. If so, I'll make the jump to the 3070

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, did you get your Legion 5 Pro yet? I'm debating getting one from the outlet and I'd be interested in your impressions.

I'm actually looking for a laptop I can use to start a career in coding and everyone is recommending a Macbook - but I've never used a Mac and Apple has just raised the prices another 15% cos of the shit exchange rate where I am. Plus if I'm going to spend that much on a new computer it might as well let me play games!
I'll let you know. I may be switching to the one with the 3070 as well, as everyone here suggests.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
I bought a laptop with a 3070 a few months ago for Starfield - I also spazzed out and bought an Series X.

Well, many months later when Starfield actually releases and there is no chip shortage and inflation/poor economy, that laptop will likely cost 1/3 the price. Sigh.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I bought a laptop with a 3070 a few months ago for Starfield - I also spazzed out and bought an Series X.

Well, many months later when Starfield actually releases and there is no chip shortage and inflation/poor economy, that laptop will likely cost 1/3 the price. Sigh.
I bought a top of the line RTX 2080 laptop in anticipation of Cyberpunk 2077, right before it got delayed to the following year.

I know how you feel.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Looks like Amazon delivered my computer without the system notifying us, which is weird (we had it sent to the mailroom but it still says delivery is late. It's likely been there since yesterday). Time to decide. Think I'll return it and get the slightly better one.

Last edited:

LeGrandBouquetBlanc

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Looking for a new laptop with 1440/1600p display. Budget of around $2K USD/2.5K CAD (Can import if the price is right or the config isn't available in Canada). Gaming is the primary use but if it can work Premiere and Vegas then thumbs up. Are the new Intel laptop cpus on par with the new Ryzen cpus?

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to buy a new laptop for when I travel. I don't really care about heavy gaming, just basic 2D games I think it's enough, but I'd like a good CPU and RAM for virtualization / work. Can you suggest me something? Budget would me maximum 700€/$

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Looking for a new laptop with 1440/1600p display. Budget of around $2K USD/2.5K CAD (Can import if the price is right or the config isn't available in Canada). Gaming is the primary use but if it can work Premiere and Vegas then thumbs up. Are the new Intel laptop cpus on par with the new Ryzen cpus?
If 17" is on the table I'd consider this Strix G17 deal.

I'd like to buy a new laptop for when I travel. I don't really care about heavy gaming, just basic 2D games I think it's enough, but I'd like a good CPU and RAM for virtualization / work. Can you suggest me something? Budget would me maximum 700€/$
What country?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading great things about the M17 R5 recently, my biggest thing is battery life and it's looking like this might be a target for me, not feeling the whole mac OS as much right now and when i'm away from my PC something like this sounds nice

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Just bought a M15 R5 due to it being heavily reduced.

It was 1799 AUD (retails at slightly above 3k) for Ryzen 5800H RTX 3070 51gb SSD and 165hz 1080p screen.

After doing a bit more research it seems to be a bit out of favour compared to its contemporaries but $500+ cheaper seems worth it.

Was this a good buy or should I try and get a refund?

Main use will be coding/browsing. I'm mainly a console gamer but might use this retro emulators or if I'm travelling. Don't need more then 1080p

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

It was 1799 AUD (retails at slightly above 3k) for Ryzen 5800H RTX 3070 51gb SSD and 165hz 1080p screen.

After doing a bit more research it seems to be a bit out of favour compared to its contemporaries but $500+ cheaper seems worth it.

Main use will be coding/browsing. I'm mainly a console gamer but might use this retro emulators or if I'm travelling. Don't need more then 1080p
You're fine. You needed something and got it at deep discount.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm reading great things about the M17 R5 recently, my biggest thing is battery life and it's looking like this might be a target for me, not feeling the whole mac OS as much right now and when i'm away from my PC something like this sounds nice
It's a nice looking machine, I just don't get why Dell doesn't offer a 1440p display option. That would make it perfect.

I would consider this Lenovo.

LOL fam relegating a 3070 to emulators would be sad, welcome to PC gaming lmao.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It's a nice looking machine, I just don't get why Dell doesn't offer a 1440p display option. That would make it perfect.

I would consider this Lenovo.

LOL fam relegating a 3070 to emulators would be sad, welcome to PC gaming lmao.

Thanks.
Any PC exclusive games you recommend?

It will be mostly used for Coding/Machine Learning so it's not like it will be sitting idle.

As far as gaming goes a machine that can run Wii-Switch games at 1080p with RTX features and high frame rates is more then enough for me.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
which model? was looking at getting it too but undecided on the gpu and cpu.
Specifically the 6850m model which forces you into some high end options like a 4k display and 32 gb of ram, neither of which I need but this thing is as future proof as you can get really, seems like 3080ti performance for significantly cheaper ($2800 isn't cheap but it would've been way higher)

Alienware m17 R5 Gaming Laptop : Gaming Computers | Dell USA

Shop the Dell Alienware m17 Gaming Laptop featuring Ryzen 6000 series processors, Radeon graphics & AMD Smart Technologies, or view all gaming computers at Dell.com.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
So I bit the bullet and bought Asus rog flow x13, with the eGPU, very pricey but it completely attends my needs. My issue now is with the temperature of the thing, I mostly play with external mouse and keyboard, but if I were to use the keyboard of the laptop itself it sometimes gets too hot even to the touch, it says my CPU temperature is 80 C, 85 C while gaming, is this normal?

I guess being so small doesn't help with the heat dissipation. I've thought of buying a base fan but I also wonder if this does actually help given that the fans of the laptop itself are also on the bottom, wouldn't using a cooling pad cancel each other out?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I bit the bullet and bought Asus rog flow x13, with the eGPU, very pricey but it completely attends my needs. My issue now is with the temperature of the thing, I mostly play with external mouse and keyboard, but if I were to use the keyboard of the laptop itself it sometimes gets too hot even to the touch, it says my CPU temperature is 80 C, 85 C while gaming, is this normal?

I guess being so small doesn't help with the heat dissipation. I've thought of buying a base fan but I also wonder if this does actually help given that the fans of the laptop itself are also on the bottom, wouldn't using a cooling pad cancel each other out?
That's normal, yeah, it's going to throttle if it reaches 100 deg C, but those temps are normal for laptops

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks.
Any PC exclusive games you recommend?

It will be mostly used for Coding/Machine Learning so it's not like it will be sitting idle.

As far as gaming goes a machine that can run Wii-Switch games at 1080p with RTX features and high frame rates is more then enough for me.
I was just joking with you, honestly. I'm the guy who had a laptop with a desktop 9700K + 200W RTX 2080, yet I only played Slay the Spire all day.

Can't say I have any recommendations. I am pretty much a complete roguelike enthusiast, I only come out of my bubble to play the RPGs which are made by Bioware, CDProject Red, From, and a few others.

An RTX 3070 + 1080p screen will comparatively outperform the PS5 in any game, and you'll definitely be able to emulate the Switch at max fidelity.

80-85C is to be considered impressive for a 13" machine running an R9.

If the bottom is intake, a properly aligned cooling pad's fans should theoretically improve the air flow.

LeGrandBouquetBlanc

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Specifically the 6850m model which forces you into some high end options like a 4k display and 32 gb of ram, neither of which I need but this thing is as future proof as you can get really, seems like 3080ti performance for significantly cheaper ($2800 isn't cheap but it would've been way higher)

Alienware m17 R5 Gaming Laptop : Gaming Computers | Dell USA

Shop the Dell Alienware m17 Gaming Laptop featuring Ryzen 6000 series processors, Radeon graphics & AMD Smart Technologies, or view all gaming computers at Dell.com.
yeah the selection options here too are weird: https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-m17-r5-amd-gaming-laptop/na17m17r5_s01e
canada version has no cherry MX switch option and you can't get a 4K panel, only with the 6700M for some odd reason and the boot drive is in RAID so not sure how to copy that over. gonna contact cs to see if they can manually change those configs or roll it back to windows 10 because otherwise this is perfect. only concern with AMD is that i heard the 6800M had some problems in the laptops it was included in so hoping jarrod's tech or someone deep dives into it and the RAM situation for this one.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I was just joking with you, honestly. I'm the guy who had a laptop with a desktop 9700K + 200W RTX 2080, yet I only played Slay the Spire all day.

Can't say I have any recommendations. I am pretty much a complete roguelike enthusiast, I only come out of my bubble to play the RPGs which are made by Bioware, CDProject Red, From, and a few others.

An RTX 3070 + 1080p screen will comparatively outperform the PS5 in any game, and you'll definitely be able to emulate the Switch at max fidelity.

Fair enough.

Actually your mention of roguelikes reminded me that I can play Everspace 2 on this. I don't think it's a roguelike like the first. The description on steam says it's more like a space hack n slash. Either way I'm hyped.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I can get an updated laptop at work, but am struggling to see if there is a big difference between these two and which would be all round better.

Thinkpad LENOVO - P15 - 15" FHD - (20SUS3EQ01) - i7-10850H - 32GB - 2*512GB SSD - NVIDIA T1000 - 6.05 lbs

HP - ZBook FURY 15 G7 15" FHD - (420T9EC) - i7-10850H - 32GB - 2*512Go SSD - NVIDIA Quadro T1000 - 5.33 lb

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Fair enough.

Actually your mention of roguelikes reminded me that I can play Everspace 2 on this. I don't think it's a roguelike like the first. The description on steam says it's more like a space hack n slash. Either way I'm hyped.
I've been waiting on that to come out of Early Access and for myself to have a high-end GPU again, seems like a really cool game with tons of content.

So I can get an updated laptop at work, but am struggling to see if there is a big difference between these two and which would be all round better.

Thinkpad LENOVO - P15 - 15" FHD - (20SUS3EQ01) - i7-10850H - 32GB - 2*512GB SSD - NVIDIA T1000 - 6.05 lbs

HP - ZBook FURY 15 G7 15" FHD - (420T9EC) - i7-10850H - 32GB - 2*512Go SSD - NVIDIA Quadro T1000 - 5.33 lb

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Given that the internal hardware is identical, the only advice to give is to look at reviews and make a choice based on which you like more.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeesh, MSI with the new benchmark display in the GE67, 1440p/240Hz OLED:

volCqPR.jpg

Please give me a 17 inch version of that OLED.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

For future reference, the Task Manager process list has a Power Consumption column that you can sort in descending order, and a GPU column in multi-GPU systems that will tell you which GPU, if any, is doing 3D rendering for any given application.

It makes troubleshooting power consumption much, much easier.

LeGrandBouquetBlanc

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Found an open box Eluktronics laptop that went for $1600 that seems like a steal? 5800H + 3080 150W and 1440p screen with Freesync seems like the best performance can get at around this price. Not too concerned about the boot drive or RAM (500gb/16gb) since i'm going to gut my current laptop and use it on that instead.

Also it can be watercooled?? That sounds really dumb but hey, features.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
I'm interested in a HP Omen. Specs is Ryzen 7 5800H, 16GB, 512 SSD, RTX 3060. But the screen is 15,6", does a similar laptop exist but 13-14"? I need it for school so I'd rather have something smaller and lighter.

All I found was this:

Acer Swift X-14 NX.AU3ED.006 14" Ryzen 7 5800U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX 3050 Ti

And

Acer Swift X SFX14-41G NX.AU2ED.001 14" Ryzen 5 5600U 16GB RAM 512GB SSD RTX 3050

The last one easily the cheapest on a discount right now. But many don't like the Acer brand it seem?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in a HP Omen. Specs is Ryzen 7 5800H, 16GB, 512 SSD, RTX 3060. But the screen is 15,6", does a similar laptop exist but 13-14"? I need it for school so I'd rather have something smaller and lighter.

All I found was this:

Acer Swift X-14 NX.AU3ED.006 14" Ryzen 7 5800U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX 3050 Ti

And

Acer Swift X SFX14-41G NX.AU2ED.001 14" Ryzen 5 5600U 16GB RAM 512GB SSD RTX 3050

The last one easily the cheapest on a discount right now. But many don't like the Acer brand it seem?
Asus Zephyrus G14

You'll find them at Best Buy in the US. YMMV outside.