• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I'd take a look at Asus, MSI, Eluctronics, and Lenovo. Asug G15 or Scar are pretty good for example, MSI has bunch of different model but newer GS/GE ones should be good, Elutronics is pretty good, Lenovo Legion 5i just released and its quite decent but maybe a bit pricey now. I'd also take a look at AMD procs as well, for gaming difference between say AMD 5800/5900 and 12th gen i7 is not that big really.

Do u know by any chance of the Adobe suite works well with amd processors? I use Lightroom and photoshop quite a bit

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Do u know by any chance of the Adobe suite works well with amd processors? I use Lightroom and photoshop quite a bit
Desktop CPUs but you can try to compare with core counts.
www.pugetsystems.com

Adobe Lightroom Classic: 12th Gen Intel Core vs AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Intel has launched their new 12th Gen Intel Core desktop processors (code-named "Alder Lake") featuring support for DDR5, PCIe 5.0, as well as a completely new hybrid architecture using a mix of Performance and Efficient-cores. AMD has held the performance crown in Lightroom Classic for a number...

www.pugetsystems.com

Adobe Photoshop: 12th Gen Intel Core vs AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Intel has launched their new 12th Gen Intel Core desktop processors (code-named "Alder Lake") featuring support for DDR5, PCIe 5.0, as well as a completely new hybrid architecture using a mix of Performance and Efficient-cores. Photoshop is largely single-threaded which may diminish the value of...

TL;DR: Intel leads in Lightroom now, Photoshop is LOL SINGLE THREAD so whatever can give you highest clock speed would be "better".

Last edited:

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Desktop CPUs but you can try to compare with core counts.
www.pugetsystems.com

Adobe Lightroom Classic: 12th Gen Intel Core vs AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Intel has launched their new 12th Gen Intel Core desktop processors (code-named "Alder Lake") featuring support for DDR5, PCIe 5.0, as well as a completely new hybrid architecture using a mix of Performance and Efficient-cores. AMD has held the performance crown in Lightroom Classic for a number...

www.pugetsystems.com

Adobe Photoshop: 12th Gen Intel Core vs AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Intel has launched their new 12th Gen Intel Core desktop processors (code-named "Alder Lake") featuring support for DDR5, PCIe 5.0, as well as a completely new hybrid architecture using a mix of Performance and Efficient-cores. Photoshop is largely single-threaded which may diminish the value of...

TL;DR: AMD is fine. In actual usage you won't notice it.

Perfect thank you guys! I'm excited to declutter my home lol

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect thank you guys! I'm excited to declutter my home lol
Honestly if you are able to go for this, maybe better:

Check this out on @Newegg: MSI GE Series - 15.6" 240 Hz - Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK (2.50GHz) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU - 32 GB DDR5 - 1TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Gaming Laptop (Raider GE66 12UGS-237 ) https://www.newegg.com/titanium-blue-msi-ge-series-raider-ge66-12ugs-237-gaming/p/N82E16834156183

"Future proof" costs :(

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Honestly if you are able to go for this, maybe better:

Check this out on @Newegg: MSI GE Series - 15.6" 240 Hz - Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK (2.50GHz) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU - 32 GB DDR5 - 1TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11 Home 64-bit - Gaming Laptop (Raider GE66 12UGS-237 ) https://www.newegg.com/titanium-blue-msi-ge-series-raider-ge66-12ugs-237-gaming/p/N82E16834156183

"Future proof" costs :(

Ooof that's a little pricey but I'll keep that one in mind, how are MSI? I'm so out of the loop with computer brands since I built my pc back in like 2012. Also My last laptop was like a gateway that I used up to 2013 or so

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Ooof that's a little pricey but I'll keep that one in mind, how are MSI? I'm so out of the loop with computer brands since I built my pc back in like 2012. Also My last laptop was like a gateway that I used up to 2013 or so
Or maybe bite on this. Like, right now.

ASUS ROG Strix Scar 15 (2021) Gaming Laptop, 15.6" 300Hz IPS Type FHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Opti-Mechanical Per-Key RGB Keyboard, Windows 10 Home, G533QS-DS96 https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-r...s-ds96-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235896

No MUX switch though, but CPU is fine. You can bypass the MUX limitation with a external monitor.

Unfortunately it's always a trade off. New and fancy and powerful? $$$

That ASUS is solid.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh that one is good too, how are these with bloat? Anyway to do a clean install??
You can from within Windows 10.

Personally don't see the need to do clean installs. Asus laptops are pretty lean too.

Also, Asus needs the tool to configure things, so gotta run that at least.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Or maybe bite on this. Like, right now.

ASUS ROG Strix Scar 15 (2021) Gaming Laptop, 15.6" 300Hz IPS Type FHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Opti-Mechanical Per-Key RGB Keyboard, Windows 10 Home, G533QS-DS96 https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-r...s-ds96-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235896

No MUX switch though, but CPU is fine. You can bypass the MUX limitation with a external monitor.

Unfortunately it's always a trade off. New and fancy and powerful? $$$

That ASUS is solid.
At least it has Adaptive Sync built into the display natively, that's one thing I have to give ASUS major credit for doing across its product lines.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Hey guys, I'm trying to help someone find a laptop (with a budget of 2000$).
I just have a few questions:

- Is Laptop Deals list good? https://laptopsdeals.net/our-gaming-laptops-guide-list/
- This will be for someone that will be doing 3D photogrammetry mainly. I assume that, just like 3D modeling, a gaming laptop would be the thing to go for. A nice GPU and all that.
- Weight and Screen size don't seem to be a factor. Just looking for the best bang for buck for accomplishing the task /\
- This will be used in the desert in the middle east. So something more on the robust side would be ideal.

Right now I'm leaning into something like this https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168347...&ranSiteID=7XMu72hpT3Q-c45VmvwG5SYbjV_TSZYZog

32GB of RAM, RTX3080, good CPU, 1080p.
My only issue with this one is the small SSD, but I guess that is an easy problem to fix with an external drive.

Can someone else help me with 1-2 other suggestions? I appreciate it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey guys, I'm trying to help someone find a laptop (with a budget of 2000$).
I just have a few questions:

- Is Laptop Deals list good? https://laptopsdeals.net/our-gaming-laptops-guide-list/
- This will be for someone that will be doing 3D photogrammetry mainly. I assume that, just like 3D modeling, a gaming laptop would be the thing to go for. A nice GPU and all that.
- Weight and Screen size don't seem to be a factor. Just looking for the best bang for buck for accomplishing the task /\
- This will be used in the desert in the middle east. So something more on the robust side would be ideal.

Right now I'm leaning into something like this https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168347...&ranSiteID=7XMu72hpT3Q-c45VmvwG5SYbjV_TSZYZog

32GB of RAM, RTX3080, good CPU, 1080p.
My only issue with this one is the small SSD, but I guess that is an easy problem to fix with an external drive.

Can someone else help me with 1-2 other suggestions? I appreciate it.
So this will be purchased in the US? If they aren't gaming you certainly don't need to go up to a 3080.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to chime in real quick to give a shout out to Dell and Alienware. So I decided to finally get a new PC for gaming and other things.

Initially I ordered a Alienware desktop simply because it was a really good deal given the parts included even though the proprietary motherboard and case suck balls. But I ended up canceling the order after thinking for a while that I probably will get more use out of a laptop.

So I ended up ordering an Alienware X17 R1. I went with pretty minimum specs (gen 11 i7, rtx3060, 16gb ddr4, 256 SSD, 330hz fhd screen, cherry mechanical kb) and bought parts to upgrade the RAM and SSD.

Reviews on the laptop were solid and my total was 1601 shipped which at the time was a good deal. I ordered beginning of March or end of Feb.

They delivered the laptop on March 21st. Out the box had a dead pixel right in the center off the screen and pretty bad light bleed.

(Side note: they refunded me 80$ for the laptop not arriving on time, which was nice. Was supposed to arrive the 19th I think.)

Definitely sucked and was upset about the screen. I called tech support the same day the laptop arrived and they instantly gave me the option of getting it fixed or doing an exchange for something of equal or greater value. I clearly opted for the exchange.

Well because they didn't have any more X17 R1s in production, they offered me an upgrade to an R2 for the same price.

So I ended up with a 12th gen i7, 16gb ddr 5, 512 SSD pcie gen 4, with the same video card, mechanical kb and screen.

They shipped it out quickly and I had it arrive within the week.

So far this upgrade has been phenomenal. I also earned 100 bucks in Dell rewards that I ended up using for a Logitech g29 racing wheel they had on sale.

My main reason for this post is to give kuddos to Dell in trying to make things right for me as a customer. They offer instant exchanges if there's a problem during the first 30 days. They also had FedEx come and pick up the other laptop that I was to send back. Which you only send back after getting the replacement, so you can still use the original laptop while your wait.

I also opted for the accidental damage support. From what I gather on Reddit it's fairly common that if something happens even two three years down the line they don't really repair your original laptop they just replace it with something better in almost every situation.

If support and accidental damage coverage is something that appeals to you then it's worth looking closer at Dell and Alienware. Alienware desktops may not be ideal but their laptops have a pretty good reputation.

There's always also some kind of coupon code for 10% off and you can get an initial discount if you open a Dell financing account. The cool thing is you can pay it off in full even if you open the financing account you just get cash back and other perks.

In total I ended up paying 1521 with premium support. Obviously that was because I was graced with a problem that came with a really great solution as a consumer. But my point being their support was really good and makes buying from Dell/Alienware really worth looking into imo.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yes, bought in the US.
Also why wouldn't a better graphics card be beneficial to 3D modeling?

Either way, what would you recommend? :)
Well, ask your friend to check the system requirements of the specific software they are using.

The main issue with the Aorus is that the 3080 is only 105W, that's way to low. If your friend wants a fast 17.3" machine, something like the MSI GP76 with a 140W RTX 3070 will be faster than the 3080 in the Gigabyte.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to chime in real quick to give a shout out to Dell and Alienware. So I decided to finally get a new PC for gaming and other things.

Initially I ordered a Alienware desktop simply because it was a really good deal given the parts included even though the proprietary motherboard and case suck balls. But I ended up canceling the order after thinking for a while that I probably will get more use out of a laptop.

So I ended up ordering an Alienware X17 R1. I went with pretty minimum specs (gen 11 i7, rtx3060, 16gb ddr4, 256 SSD, 330hz fhd screen, cherry mechanical kb) and bought parts to upgrade the RAM and SSD.

Reviews on the laptop were solid and my total was 1601 shipped which at the time was a good deal. I ordered beginning of March or end of Feb.

They delivered the laptop on March 21st. Out the box had a dead pixel right in the center off the screen and pretty bad light bleed.

(Side note: they refunded me 80$ for the laptop not arriving on time, which was nice. Was supposed to arrive the 19th I think.)

Definitely sucked and was upset about the screen. I called tech support the same day the laptop arrived and they instantly gave me the option of getting it fixed or doing an exchange for something of equal or greater value. I clearly opted for the exchange.

Well because they didn't have any more X17 R1s in production, they offered me an upgrade to an R2 for the same price.

So I ended up with a 12th gen i7, 16gb ddr 5, 512 SSD pcie gen 4, with the same video card, mechanical kb and screen.

They shipped it out quickly and I had it arrive within the week.

So far this upgrade has been phenomenal. I also earned 100 bucks in Dell rewards that I ended up using for a Logitech g29 racing wheel they had on sale.

My main reason for this post is to give kuddos to Dell in trying to make things right for me as a customer. They offer instant exchanges if there's a problem during the first 30 days. They also had FedEx come and pick up the other laptop that I was to send back. Which you only send back after getting the replacement, so you can still use the original laptop while your wait.

I also opted for the accidental damage support. From what I gather on Reddit it's fairly common that if something happens even two three years down the line they don't really repair your original laptop they just replace it with something better in almost every situation.

If support and accidental damage coverage is something that appeals to you then it's worth looking closer at Dell and Alienware. Alienware desktops may not be ideal but their laptops have a pretty good reputation.

There's always also some kind of coupon code for 10% off and you can get an initial discount if you open a Dell financing account. The cool thing is you can pay it off in full even if you open the financing account you just get cash back and other perks.

In total I ended up paying 1521 with premium support. Obviously that was because I was graced with a problem that came with a really great solution as a consumer. But my point being their support was really good and makes buying from Dell/Alienware really worth looking into imo.
I can back that so far for Alienware support, they did right by me for a 17 R4 that I bought open box from Best Buy. They honored the remaining warranty and even exchanged the Mobo when they were satisfied with proof it was overheating.

I have my dead 13 R3 OLED because someday I'll be able to get a cheap 7700HQ 1060 Mobo. Died way past warranty unfortunately.

Honestly, if they sold a 15" laptop that fit in the underseat carry on I use, I would have jumped back to them. Asus has my business for now on that.

And no, I end up traveling in small planes most of the time for work, and that carry on fits in those small overhead bins no problem.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Well, ask your friend to check the system requirements of the specific software they are using.

The main issue with the Aorus is that the 3080 is only 105W, that's way to low. If your friend wants a fast 17.3" machine, something like the MSI GP76 with a 140W RTX 3070 will be faster than the 3080 in the Gigabyte.

I don't know how much Wattage affects GPU performance. How would this one compare? https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-r...s-ds96-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235896

3080 up to 130W

Hey all.

I'm here for suggestions ni the $500-$1000 and looking to buy one in NYC. Here is what the laptop MUST have

- 16GB RAM
- 256 - 512GB SSD Minimum
- Should be 10th Gen core i5 or up, but i can settle for Ryzen, if you can ELI5 for it for me. I have never used AMD in my life.
- My preference is portability. Weight first, and form factor second. My ideal laptop would be a Macbook Air but I want more value from my deal, plus I love windows.
-NEW only. no refurbs or used.

Stuff that if included would be nice, but not mandatory

-A displayport
-A Windows Hello camera / Fingerprint scanner
-Good speakers/display.
-backlit keyboard.
-a GPU for light gaming (CS: GO, Minecraft, MAYBE fortnite?)

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!

Maybe hard to answer but any guesses how the new Zephyrus G14 would compare to an old desktop running an 11 year old intel 2600k with 1070ti?

Thinking of going mobile to replace my big old desktop. PC parts are just crazy expensive at the moment (especially in Japan it seems) and I'm not spending $1000 alone on a graphics card. Not a heavy max spec gamer anyway so thinking of just switching over to a mobile device.

Out of curiosity I priced a new 14" MacBook pro and for the same price seems like such a better deal to get the G14. 32gb ram vs 16, 1tb ssd vs 512, 120hz screen and although the new M1 chips are nice for energy savings/battery life would rather stick with windows and x86. The G14 just seems to be the one I've been waiting for as I'm failing to see any downsides. Even being able to fold nearly flat is something I would want. Priced at 279,800円 tax included.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Maybe hard to answer but any guesses how the new Zephyrus G14 would compare to an old desktop running an 11 year old intel 2600k with 1070ti?

Thinking of going mobile to replace my big old desktop. PC parts are just crazy expensive at the moment (especially in Japan it seems) and I'm not spending $1000 alone on a graphics card. Not a heavy max spec gamer anyway so thinking of just switching over to a mobile device.

Out of curiosity I priced a new 14" MacBook pro and for the same price seems like such a better deal to get the G14. 32gb ram vs 16, 1tb ssd vs 512, 120hz screen and although the new M1 chips are nice for energy savings/battery life would rather stick with windows and x86. The G14 just seems to be the one I've been waiting for as I'm failing to see any downsides. Even being able to fold nearly flat is something I would want. Priced at 279,800円 tax included.

If you don't really need the 14" form factor you can get better performance for the $ in a 15-16 incher.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
If you don't really need the 14" form factor you can get better performance for the $ in a 15-16 incher.

The easier portability and potential 10 hour batter life on this one was a plus I thought. Can be a bit limited as to what is available here in Japan but what other 15-16 inch units would have better performance for the price?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

CPU wise? G14 wins so much it isn't a joke.

GPU wise, you'll have to find benchmarks for the G14 and then compare with your own PC. Comparing laptops to desktops, especially something that old, isn't common.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Hey all.

I'm here for suggestions ni the $500-$1000 and looking to buy one in NYC. Here is what the laptop MUST have

- 16GB RAM
- 256 - 512GB SSD Minimum
- Should be 10th Gen core i5 or up, but i can settle for Ryzen, if you can ELI5 for it for me. I have never used AMD in my life.
- My preference is portability. Weight first, and form factor second. My ideal laptop would be a Macbook Air but I want more value from my deal, plus I love windows.
-NEW only. no refurbs or used.

Stuff that if included would be nice, but not mandatory

-A displayport
-A Windows Hello camera / Fingerprint scanner
-Good speakers/display.
-backlit keyboard.
-a GPU for light gaming (CS: GO, Minecraft, MAYBE fortnite?)

If those are the games you're playing, you probably don't need a dedicated GPU, and having one would probably put you over your budget anyway. It seems like you're not really looking for a dedicated gaming machine, but rather a general purpose laptop that can also play games.

As for suggestions, apart from gaming laptops or macbooks, I always stick with Lenovo Thinkpads, and the X-series (or X1) are fairly light and portable. Unfortunately you'll probably struggle to find one with the specs you want in your budget unless you can get one on sale.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
As an update for my earlier posts, I did end up buying a Lenovo Legion 5. I was originally going to order one on Lenovo's website, but it said 2+ months to ship and I would need it before then. My plan was to order the most base model, so ryzen 5 and the 3050, only upgrading ram to 16gb, and windows pro over home.

However because of the long shipping, what I did instead was I found one at Best Buy, which had the ryzen 7 and the 3050ti, but only 8gb ram. I've since upgraded to 16gb of ram and put in a second nvme ssd. Unfortunately it does also have windows 11 home edition, but I'll upgrade to pro later at some point I think.

Its worth pointing out however, that a lot of youtube videos I saw about upgrading these, had people putting in a 2.5 sata ssd as a second drive. I don't know if its only on certain models, or if there was a board revision, but my model has no connector for a 2.5 sata drive, and only a m2 slot.

As for performance, its pretty good, but I haven't played any AAA games on it, and I'm not sure I ever will. I mainly bought to play games like League of Legends, Overwatch, Valorant, or other multiplayer games that will run on a toaster. So I'm expecting the performance to be good for a long time.

and lastly, a pic
O6ZR8JA.jpg

This thing is huge, as I've only had 12 - 14 inch laptops previously. And this is only the 15 inch
My old thinkpad x250 for comparison
T5tEOoE.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Hooking up my Legion 5 to my TV and playing like a console is pretty amazing.

It's a 4K TV but I limited the output to 1080p and it still looks great. I have now a Game Pass machine.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I am looking to pick up a Legion 5 this weekend but I am hearing rumors that the Legion 5 gen 7 are going to be releasing in May, does it make sense to wait for those or go with the gen 6 model. Also curious what the price of the gen 7 model would be with similar specs to the gen 6.

This is the model I am looking to buy. https://www.microcenter.com/product...ming-laptop-computer-platinum-collection-blue

Don't know about how much of an improvement the specs will be (a cursory glance looks like the 6800h over the 5800h is a modest improvement on cpubench but idk, and they might be offering 1440p panels, which is a pro and con depending on if you're bothered by non integer scaling, and up to a mobile 3070ti which I think is a modest improvement over the mobile 3070), but will defer to others on this.

I will say it can be hard to get laptops easily at launch. That price (~$1100) I would guess is also substantially lower than what you'd pay for a comparable new model if/when it's available.

I have the model you posted with a 3070 and it's a really all round lovely machine, been using it for maybe 6 or 7 months now. No real issues really beyond new nvidia drivers break the gsync functionality in some games (probably will need to wait on new lenovo optimized drivers or give up VRR down the road).

Oct 28, 2017
So Walmart has the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with a Ryzen 7 5800H, RTX 3070 and a 1440p screen for $1399. Is this a good deal and is the one Walmart sells different in any way to what Lenovo sells directly?

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't heard of a real RAM issue with it.

You can get an improvement to CPU performance if you upgrade to a dual-rank kit, but there's nothing really wrong with the memory it ships with.

I remember at launch there were issues with some timings on the stock ram and you could gain 10% fps in some games swapping them out. I plan to do that anyways so I was just looking for anything else I might need to deal with.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I remember at launch there were issues with some timings on the stock ram and you could gain 10% fps in some games swapping them out. I plan to do that anyways so I was just looking for anything else I might need to deal with.
10% in some cases may be about right. I upgraded to dual rank Crucial kit (not just single rank with better timings like the ones Jarrodstech linked to) and I noticed a definite improvement, but it was still decent for gaming with the stock kit.

Most games are GPU-bound anyway (especially at QHD) so you pretty much have to do 1080p/lower settings or be playing a totally CPU-bound game to see anything near a 10% difference in practice.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Yeah that was an issue across all models I think at launch and as far as I remember wasn't fixed out of the box yet.

I vaguely remember some people having issues with certain hotkeys not working -- I think this was fixed by reinstalling the lenovo hotkeys app from the MS store.

Some games might not play well with the 16:10 aspect ratio without stretching, so you might want to add a custom 1440p (not native 1600p or whatever it is) resolution and turn off scaling. It's usually on a game by game basis. Most should just give you black bars top and bottom if they dont support 16:10, but for some you might need to mess around a bit more. Hotkey Resolution Changer is a good utility for flipping between different refresh rates and resolutions on the fly.

I think the L5 pro models also lack advanced optimus for some reason so you'll want to turn on discrete mode in vantage settings and just stick with that.

And idk if that model has a gsync/vrr display but new nvidia drivers added a lot of artifacting to my display in some games when I use VRR (legion 5 normal, not sure if its common across models or even within models, though some other reddit users corroborate my situation). In which case you'll probably want to stick with 496.13 or earlier.

Also join the lenovo legion discord, lots of helpful information, checklists and guides all there. There should be a link in the subreddit.

Oct 28, 2017
10% in some cases may be about right. I upgraded to dual rank Crucial kit (not just single rank with better timings like the ones Jarrodstech linked to) and I noticed a definite improvement, but it was still decent for gaming with the stock kit.

Most games are GPU-bound anyway (especially at QHD) so you pretty much have to do 1080p/lower settings or be playing a totally CPU-bound game to see anything near a 10% difference in practice.

Yeah that was an issue across all models I think at launch and as far as I remember wasn't fixed out of the box yet.

I vaguely remember some people having issues with certain hotkeys not working -- I think this was fixed by reinstalling the lenovo hotkeys app from the MS store.

Some games might not play well with the 16:10 aspect ratio without stretching, so you might want to add a custom 1440p (not native 1600p or whatever it is) resolution and turn off scaling. It's usually on a game by game basis. Most should just give you black bars top and bottom if they dont support 16:10, but for some you might need to mess around a bit more. Hotkey Resolution Changer is a good utility for flipping between different refresh rates and resolutions on the fly.

I think the L5 pro models also lack advanced optimus for some reason so you'll want to turn on discrete mode in vantage settings and just stick with that.

And idk if that model has a gsync/vrr display but new nvidia drivers added a lot of artifacting to my display in some games when I use VRR (legion 5 normal, not sure if its common across models or even within models, though some other reddit users corroborate my situation). In which case you'll probably want to stick with 496.13 or earlier.

Also join the lenovo legion discord, lots of helpful information, checklists and guides all there. There should be a link in the subreddit.

Thank you both. Got some reading to do.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

1440p/1660p hasn't been much of an issue for me on the 5 Pro using discrete GPU mode. You can typically just pick 1440p most of the time and it scales properly, maybe it's worse on the non-Pro 5 if that has advanced optimus for some reason? I've noticed gaming laptops have less nvidia control panel settings unless you are running in dGPU mode.

Also other high res laptops I have used (thinking of you Razer blade OLED 4K) without a dGPU mode have given me problems running lower fullscreen resolutions, (RDR2 in particular didn't like scaling unless I changed the desktop resolution before launching. It would run in a 1080p box, not a window, centered in the screen.) but the 5 Pro doesn't do any weird stuff like that for me in discrete mode.

Haven't noticed any artifacting with newer drivers on the 5 Pro with the 165hz 1600p panel, myself either. I have g-sync enabled via NVCP.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hooking up my Legion 5 to my TV and playing like a console is pretty amazing.

It's a 4K TV but I limited the output to 1080p and it still looks great. I have now a Game Pass machine.
You can handle 1440p in mostly any game but I don't blame you for choosing 1080p to maximize framerates.

PSA

arstechnica.com

Hackers can infect >100 Lenovo models with unremovable malware. Are you patched?

Exploiting critical UEFI vulnerabilities could allow malware to hide in firmware.

Check the list here:

Oh wow.
I am looking to pick up a Legion 5 this weekend but I am hearing rumors that the Legion 5 gen 7 are going to be releasing in May, does it make sense to wait for those or go with the gen 6 model. Also curious what the price of the gen 7 model would be with similar specs to the gen 6.

This is the model I am looking to buy. https://www.microcenter.com/product...ming-laptop-computer-platinum-collection-blue
The new models look better so I'd be waiting just because of that lol, other factors be damned.

I'm 100% team aesthetics.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
I'd be pretty shocked if any game (beside Cyberpunk with RT) exists that can force the mobile 3070 below 60fps, even at 2560x1440p.

Control with RT on can put my Legion 5 Pro with a 3070 under 60fps, and that's with DLSS turned on. An 11 year old MMO I play can also do it, but it's generally only in a zone where there are like 30+ people on screen at once using a ton of VFX, but that's to be expected. They're the only two non-Cyberpunk games I've come across so far that can do that in the past year.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally jumped on a asus rog g14 and like most things about it. Responsive, bright screen, keyboard feel. However I was playing league and the keyboard deck got uncomfortably hot. Tips of my left hand at the qwer keys particularly.

Not sure I want to keep.

What are some examples of laptops where the keyboard deck stays cool?

Or can I adjust settings to reduce perf and heat?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Control with RT on can put my Legion 5 Pro with a 3070 under 60fps, and that's with DLSS turned on. An 11 year old MMO I play can also do it, but it's generally only in a zone where there are like 30+ people on screen at once using a ton of VFX, but that's to be expected. They're the only two non-Cyberpunk games I've come across so far that can do that in the past year.
Forgot about Control + RT, oops.

Finally jumped on a asus rog g14 and like most things about it. Responsive, bright screen, keyboard feel. However I was playing league and the keyboard deck got uncomfortably hot. Tips of my left hand at the qwer keys particularly.

Not sure I want to keep.

I know of people disabling the CPU's turbo boost function to significantly reduce the temperatures.

ShottiePippen

Oct 29, 2017

Lenovo lists the currently unavailable L5i Pro Gen 7 with the latest Intel Alder Lake CPU and 3050 Ti for nearly $1800. Don't be surprised if the Pro models with 3070 Ti GPU/1 TB SSD/16 GB RAM is well over $2K.

I'd have to wait at least a year from now if sale prices on Gen 7 with higher-end GPU go to the $1500 or less level.

I have the Legion 5 Pro and enjoy it after some tweaking. Right now, you can't go wrong with the 5800H unless you really want to pay a premium for newer, likely improved AMD 6800H/Intel i7-12700H CPU and other components.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Not sure I want to keep.

I know of people disabling the CPU's turbo boost function to significantly reduce the temperatures.
That's mostly unnecessary and you're leaving a lot of performance on the table if you completely disable boost.

You're way better off using Ryzen APU Tuning Utility to limit the wattage or set a target temperature, that way you're not stuck at the base clock.

A 14" is just going to run hotter/louder than a bigger laptop of equal wattage at the end of the day. If noise/heat is a big concern you may want to look at 16"-17" laptops. They have bigger fans and heatsinks, letting them dissipate heat from even higher wattage parts with less noise and typically cooler chassis. Plastic bodied laptops will "feel" cooler to the touch than a metal body laptop.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Got an advert for this on ResetEra:

MSI Katana GF66 11UG-087UK Gaming Laptop | Cyberpower UK

MSI Katana GF66 11UG-087UK Gaming Laptop Intel® Core™ i7-11800H Processor NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 Max-Q 8GB Video Card 15.6

Pretty decent specs for £1000, though the 512GB SSD is a downside. I paid £1100 back in November for a laptop with similar specs but with a 1TB SSD.