• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I think so yes. The 15 inch doesnt have vaporchamber cooling and is said to be a bit worse. Also I heard the size of the laptop is about the same as a regular 15 inch so it sounds nice.
You seem to the set on the XPS for things that are not found on other laptops.

If you want power, size increases. Slim 17" in laptops are gonna be bigger than the XPS, without having the screen XPS have.

Only thin 17 think gaming laptop I can think as an alternative is https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Stealth-GS77-12UX

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I think so yes. The 15 inch doesnt have vaporchamber cooling and is said to be a bit worse. Also I heard the size of the laptop is about the same as a regular 15 inch so it sounds nice.

MSI Creator Z16/Z17 seems to be an attractive option too if you want to lean in more on the gaming side of things, but you'd have to check the size against the xps17 first ha.

MSI GS66/GS77 also looks quite attractive if I say so myself, better than Asus. The cooling on MSI's slimmer offerings has been better than the intel 8th/9th iterations from what I understand.

edit; looked at the sizing of those laptops, it is bigger, but with a max of 60W on the XPS 17 (with 12th gen) it's not worth that of a trade-off imo.

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

patriceoneal

Banned
Dec 1, 2021
Thanks for all the responses. Basically I want a macbook that I can play all the games on, not a "gaming" laptop. Also I want a Windows laptop and I believe XPS is the closest.

and I agree about the response time, it is absolutely awful. I heard a rumour though that the april release of XPS 15/17 might have 120hz screen options since the macbook has now introduced 120hz. A Dell XPS 17 with a 120hz screen I think would be the absolute best laptop. I probably wont buy it until the response time improves

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks for all the responses. Basically I want a macbook that I can play all the games on, not a "gaming" laptop. Also I want a Windows laptop and I believe XPS is the closest.

and I agree about the response time, it is absolutely awful. I heard a rumour though that the april release of XPS 15/17 might have 120hz screen options since the macbook has now introduced 120hz. A Dell XPS 17 with a 120hz screen I think would be the absolute best laptop. I probably wont buy it until the response time improves
If you aren't buying for high level gaming, does response time even matter?

I am from an era of gaming laptops where IPS displays had just become the new hotness, and a 35ms response time was just another Tuesday.

If you're not in any rush I suppose it doesn't hurt to wait, though I haven't been abled to find anything myself that corroborates this 120Hz update. The RTX 3060 being 60W though, yeesh that is slim.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Bought an Alienware M15 R6 these days, with a RTX 3070, i7 11800H... it's a beast. Getting around 130 FPS on Warzone and mostly 60 FPS at Elden Ring (with the random ass drops that seems to be plaguing every platform out there).

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a Lenovo Legion 5 to complement my Series X.

Gonna use it for PC exclusives.

Company of Heroes 2.
Battlefield 2.
Black Mesa.
Command and Conquer
SQUAD

Oct 27, 2017
Welp everyone thanks for the advice and to Ra I just got in the Lenovo Legion 5 gang, just bought the LENOVO Legion 5 15ACH6H with the RYZEN 7 5800H and RTX 3070. Can't wait to get it as I often travel for work and I'd like some variety with my Switch.

Oct 28, 2017
Sooo Amazon fucked up and instead of a Lenovo Legion 5 they sent me a refurbished Lenovo Chromebook!!!

So much for gaming on that this weekend...

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Razer Blade is the closest in terms of build style and quality.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
So how are these new 3080ti lappies? I'm looking at the ASUS ROG one specifically, FWIW, I currently own a Legion with a 2070MaxQ + i7-9750H, paired with 32GB RAM -- would it be a sizeable upgrade?

ASUS specs:
Core i9 12th Gen/32 GB DDR5/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (with mux and up to 150W to GPU)

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I don't have any. I am just petty enough to see that weird, glowing green alien ninja star as a dealbreaker, for myself.
And the fingerprint-magnet black finish. They used to have silver models that weren't nearly as bad on the fingerprints and I don't think their logo lit up, but they were rare (the OLED 2070 Super model was silver, I know) but I think they would do better if they switched to that color scheme mainly. (And ditched the snake logo)

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how are these new 3080ti lappies? I'm looking at the ASUS ROG one specifically, FWIW, I currently own a Legion with a 2070MaxQ + i7-9750H, paired with 32GB RAM -- would it be a sizeable upgrade?

ASUS specs:
Core i9 12th Gen/32 GB DDR5/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (with mux and up to 150W to GPU)
The Strix Scar is the one you'll want to get. I would've said get the Zephyrus S17 like mine which is awesome and has a far more understated design to it, but they didn't refresh that model this year so it's still an 11900H CPU and a non-Ti 3080.

Last edited:

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
The Strix Scar is the one you'll want to get. I would've said get the Zephyrus S17 like mine which is awesome and has a far more understated design to it, but they didn't refresh that model this year so it's still an 11900H CPU and a non-Ti 3080.

Yeah, this one's the 2022 Scar. Was just wondering if it's a sizeable bump over my current. %wise, how much better performance bump can I expect over the 2070MaxQ?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

ASUS specs:
With a 2070 laptop and this year being the cross-gen period until basically the Q4 releases, if I were you I'd be waiting until Q1 of 2023, when the 5nm RTX 40 series GPU laptops drop and we see the huge gains over the consoles that will last into the next cycle, sort of like how the Pascal series (1060, 1070, etc..) did last gen.

My concrete position on the 3080 Ti is that the price premium it demands is simply not worth the massive spend. The same goes for the Intel i9 CPUs, whch are massively more expensive than the i7-12700H, but possess the exact same core, threads, and cache numbers.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
With a 2070 laptop and this year being the cross-gen period until basically the Q4 releases, if I were you I'd be waiting until Q1 of 2023, when the 5nm RTX 40 series GPU laptops drop and we see the huge gains over the consoles that will last into the next cycle, sort of like how the Pascal series (1060, 1070, etc..) did last gen.

My concrete position on the 3080 Ti is that the price premium it demands is simply not worth the massive spend. The same goes for the Intel i9 CPUs, whch are massively more expensive than the i7-12700H, but possess the exact same core, threads, and cache numbers.

Thanks mate. Appreciate the input.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But gen vs gen, the 12900H is a quantum leap ahead of the 11900H. The 3080 Ti isn't as huge of a GPU leap of course, its successor could very well be the next Pascal like you said, but we won't see the next generation of laptops hitting shelves until Feb/Mar of next year.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
But gen vs gen, the 12900H is a quantum leap ahead of the 11900H. The 3080 Ti isn't as huge of a GPU leap of course, its successor could very well be the next Pascal like you said, but we won't see the next generation of laptops hitting shelves until Feb/Mar of next year.
The i9-11900H was a waste of money cash crab by Intel as well, so the gen over gen improvement at that tier is irrelevant to me. The i7-12700H is the same over the 11700h, and still performs in the same ballpark as the i9 because it's only a couple hundred MHz slower, so nothing justifies the premium Intel puts on the i9 moniker on the mobile side of things.

I'm only looking at the hard truth of the parity between these CPUs, when the difference between an i9 and i7 machine is hundreds of dollars. It just is what it is:

yGQ7sDW.png

intel loves to dangle that 5.0 Ghz carrot out there, but it isn't happening on full core load.

i wouldn't fault antispin for buying now, but the 2070 just isn't in a detrimental position yet. I buy when my GPU is underperforming.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So I've seen a lot of posts about the Lenovo Legion 5, and its the laptop I've been looking to get. Since I'm no longer in school, I don't need a smaller laptop because I'm not carrying one around all day, so I figure I'd get a gaming laptop.

But for those of you that have one I'm wondering about the build quality and potential longevity. For personal laptops I've always bought Thinkpads and those things last forever, so I'm just wondering how things are on the gaming laptop side. I know it probably won't be as good, but I'm just curious how they are.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So I've seen a lot of posts about the Lenovo Legion 5, and its the laptop I've been looking to get. Since I'm no longer in school, I don't need a smaller laptop because I'm not carrying one around all day, so I figure I'd get a gaming laptop.

But for those of you that have one I'm wondering about the build quality and potential longevity. For personal laptops I've always bought Thinkpads and those things last forever, so I'm just wondering how things are on the gaming laptop side. I know it probably won't be as good, but I'm just curious how they are.
The Legion line is the highest regarded group of gaming laptops in the world right now, so you'll be hard pressed to find too many detractors in any corner of the web.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

I've been using one of the 2021 l5s for like 6 months now maybe? It's a lovely machine. Plastic finish but feels solid, nice display. Really basically no issues other than the most recent nvidia drivers break its Gsync functionality in some games, so that might be a consideration if you want to splurge for that feature. Otherwise it's a really nice machine. It's a little harder to open up than I'd have liked but not ridiculously hard or anything, and I think some people have had issues with the chargers failing to connect if they keep plugging and unplugging them (have not noticed this). The laptop keeps pretty cool in most games when I cap to 60, even better if i use DLSS or something. If I had to be really nitpicky I have noticed the screen picks up a bit of oil from the keyboard. Not really noticeable except for in specific lighting conditions. Very even backlight in my case as well, no noticeable bleed or excessive ips glow. 60hz mode easily addable with EDID editing/CRU/Nvidia driver, and the gsync 165hz panel I have performs well at that refresh rate, with a bit more blur (this is a big deal as some laptops will force some kind of panel overdrive which can render lower refresh rates unusable, and some games need lower refresh rates to present properly) -- laptop gsync I think is probably an indicator that that should not be an issue as I'd assume panels are tested with games that drop or lock to 60.

I have probably tried around 100 steam games on it since I got it, across a range of APIs, engines, developers etc. Generally speaking all games seem to run within what the consensus experience is (i.e. well), very few config specific issues or anything. The only games I've noticed real issues in are Lightning Returns FFXIII has some poor performance at times (rectifiable with async dxvk, I wonder if there's an issue with 30xx and dx9 drivers for some games), Death Stranding has some occasional frame pacing issues, FFVIIR had some asset streaming issues (but consistent with general grievances), and Ghostwire Tokyo has some asset streaming stutter (another dx12 UE4 title). Generally speaking everything dx11 or older has mostly been great, a little more problematic with dx12 games, though some are great and others not so great, pretty in line with a lot of people's issues with dx12 games on a config by config basis).

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've been using one of the 2021 l5s for like 6 months now maybe? It's a lovely machine. Plastic finish but feels solid, nice display. Really basically no issues other than the most recent nvidia drivers break its Gsync functionality in some games, so that might be a consideration if you want to splurge for that feature. Otherwise it's a really nice machine. It's a little harder to open up than I'd have liked but not ridiculously hard or anything, and I think some people have had issues with the chargers failing to connect if they keep plugging and unplugging them (have not noticed this). The laptop keeps pretty cool in most games when I cap to 60, even better if i use DLSS or something. If I had to be really nitpicky I have noticed the screen picks up a bit of oil from the keyboard. Not really noticeable except for in specific lighting conditions. Very even backlight in my case as well, no noticeable bleed or excessive ips glow. 60hz mode easily addable with EDID editing/CRU/Nvidia driver, and the gsync 165hz panel I have performs well at that refresh rate, with a bit more blur (this is a big deal as some laptops will force some kind of panel overdrive which can render lower refresh rates unusable, and some games need lower refresh rates to present properly) -- laptop gsync I think is probably an indicator that that should not be an issue as I'd assume panels are tested with games that drop or lock to 60.

I have probably tried around 100 steam games on it since I got it, across a range of APIs, engines, developers etc. Generally speaking all games seem to run within what the consensus experience is (i.e. well), very few config specific issues or anything. The only games I've noticed real issues in are Lightning Returns FFXIII has some poor performance at times (rectifiable with async dxvk, I wonder if there's an issue with 30xx and dx9 drivers for some games), Death Stranding has some occasional frame pacing issues, FFVIIR had some asset streaming issues (but consistent with general grievances), and Ghostwire Tokyo has some asset streaming stutter (another dx12 UE4 title). Generally speaking everything dx11 or older has mostly been great, a little more problematic with dx12 games, though some are great and others not so great, pretty in line with a lot of people's issues with dx12 games on a config by config basis).

thanks for the info. I think I've decided its the laptop I'm going to go with.

The main reason I was hesitant, is I was debating getting another Thinkpad and just using integrated graphics for games, since I play a lot of muliplayer esports games that can run on a toaster. But I learned from my previous laptops that integrated graphics don't age well, and a dedicated gaming laptop should hold up better over time in regards to playing games.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So after having my used my used G15 Advantage for over half a year-ish (I think), I thought i'd give my thoughts on it:
+The 6800M is an insane value prospect. It depends on the game but getting performance and if i'm hooking it up to a monitor between the 3070 Ti laptop and 3080 but for 1080p it's a beast of a graphics card and it holds up very well at 1440p if you hook it up to an external monitor; it's basically a cut-down 6700 XT on a lower TDP
+5900HX is good but since you can't overclock it on this laptop (I think, I haven't been able to find a way to do so), its performance is solely carried by how good the 5900HX is as a CPU
+Has a healthy amount of USB 3.0/C ports to plug in things to as well as multiple outputs for multiple external monitors
+No webcam (yes this is a positive to me; if I want to talk with a friend or family, i'll simply plug in a good camera instead of some 720p garbage camera)
+The speakers sound great and though the keyboard doesn't have the best switches, they don't feel too soft and it's a generally pleasant laptop to use
+It has FreeSync! No need to worry about paying the G-Sync tax or going without it, the experience in less optimized titles (Elden Ring cough) is without any tearing or general choppiness
+It's mostly plastic with a bit of metal but the build quality is decent and the screen's hinge feels sturdy
+It stays relatively cool even under load but...
-The fans are loud on the "performance" mode
-Since it's a "cheaper" laptop, you're leaving performance on the table if you're using it without an external screen or without faster RAM than what it comes with (I'm currently rocking Kingston Fury sticks @ 3200 CL 20) due to the lack of a MUX switch. I've heard more recent models come with less crappy RAM but for me, I had to replace it to get the actual, proper performance for this GPU.
-For whatever reason, the laptop's performance tanks in-game performance if you have a YouTube video running in the background on Chrome but only Chrome; Brave and Firefox run without a hitch no matter what you're listening to as you play through X or Y game (maybe it has something to do with hardware acceleration?)
-Seemingly incompatible with Afterburner and thus the GPU can't be overclocked or undervolted outside of ASUS' included bloatware, the Armoury Crate
-Storage is limited to only 2 m.2s but that seems to be par for the course for laptops these days, sadly
-The Wifi card it comes with sucks. It's not the most difficult thing to replace and the general cost of the laptop is such that upgrading it would be cheaper than getting a different laptop with the same Wifi card but it's still a pain to have to do it
-So. Much. RGB. I know you can turn it off but the light on the bottom of the laptop is just a touch excessive
-***Depending on where you live, the 1440p or 4K variant of the laptop won't be available and the 1440p screen might be a better option. Still, the 1080p option is a 300Hz FreeSync monster so it's not the worst consolation.
-**Also depends on how much you care about raytracing or DLSS but it isn't good at the former and the latter is not available
----------It's ASUS and they use slave labour

If you can find a used one of these (because fuck giving ASUS money for a new one, they get 0 with a used purchase), i'd definitely give it a recommendation. For the price, there's not much that can compete with it in terms of performance.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
The i9-11900H was a waste of money cash crab by Intel as well, so the gen over gen improvement at that tier is irrelevant to me. The i7-12700H is the same over the 11700h, and still performs in the same ballpark as the i9 because it's only a couple hundred MHz slower, so nothing justifies the premium Intel puts on the i9 moniker on the mobile side of things.

I'm only looking at the hard truth of the parity between these CPUs, when the difference between an i9 and i7 machine is hundreds of dollars. It just is what it is:

yGQ7sDW.png

intel loves to dangle that 5.0 Ghz carrot out there, but it isn't happening on full core load.

i wouldn't fault antispin for buying now, but the 2070 just isn't in a detrimental position yet. I buy when my GPU is underperforming.

Yeah, I might wait until 4x series pop up. Might even consider a desktop. Let's see how much self control I've got (spoiler: not much).

Mine is permanently attached to a monitor and a hub for external keyboard and mouse, plus others. Using it close to 2 years now.

Cons of the laptop: the keyboard sucks. Bad layout, bad ergonomics.
2. The power button is inside the lid. Laptops should have power button outside so that you can turn them on ever when docked with lid shut
3. Fans can get loud. Mostly silent
4. Camera location is below the screen. I use an external camera + microphone

Pros: good support, get an extended warranty if you can
2. Lenovo software is useful to keep it updated
3. Very well priced for the specs it offers

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I might wait until 4x series pop up. Might even consider a desktop. Let's see how much self control I've got (spoiler: not much).

Mine is permanently attached to a monitor and a hub for external keyboard and mouse, plus others. Using it close to 2 years now.

Cons of the laptop: the keyboard sucks. Bad layout, bad ergonomics.
2. The power button is inside the lid. Laptops should have power button outside so that you can turn them on ever when docked with lid shut
3. Fans can get loud. Mostly silent
4. Camera location is below the screen. I use an external camera + microphone

Pros: good support, get an extended warranty if you can
2. Lenovo software is useful to keep it updated
3. Very well priced for the specs it offers

FYI I think the keyboard layout is different and I'm pretty sure the camera is above the screen on current models...

Oct 27, 2017
I want to do some comfy couch gaming with the Legion 5 on my TV, is it possible to use a docking station or something like that ? The idea being I could let it aside my TV and just plug it in and play. If so, do you have a particular model to recommend ? Thanks.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I want to do some comfy couch gaming with the Legion 5 on my TV, is it possible to use a docking station or something like that ? The idea being I could let it aside my TV and just plug it in and play. If so, do you have a particular model to recommend ? Thanks.
You could get a USB-C/Thunderbolt (no idea of your laptop has Thunderbolt but USB C dock should work) and then switch to TV as main monitor.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Looking for a good laptop, my budget is around 2000, looking to get rid of my whole desk tbh. Only thing I need is 144hz (can be 1080p) with some good colors (preferably not a tn panel) and a decent graphics card (30xx ti series) which laptops have the least bloat??

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Looking for a good laptop, my budget is around 2000, looking to get rid of my whole desk tbh. Only thing I need is 144hz (can be 1080p) with some good colors (preferably not a tn panel) and a decent graphics card (30xx ti series) which laptops have the least bloat??
Too many variables really. What country are you located in? Would you use this system as mainly desktop replacement or do you plan to travel? Gaming oriented, content creation, development, etc? How much storage space is desirable? What about screen size, 15" or would you want 17" for that desktop role? Would you connect external monitors? Do you need fast transfer speed, i.e is Thunderbolt required / desirable?

30xx Ti can also vary from 3050Ti to 3080Ti which is a huge difference in cost, power consumption and of course performance.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Too many variables really. What country are you located in? Would you use this system as mainly desktop replacement or do you plan to travel? Gaming oriented, content creation, development, etc? How much storage space is desirable? What about screen size, 15" or would you want 17" for that desktop role? Would you connect external monitors? Do you need fast transfer speed, i.e is Thunderbolt required / desirable?

30xx Ti can also vary from 3050Ti to 3080Ti which is a huge difference in cost, power consumption and of course performance.

I live in the US, I'm looking to replace my desktop to consolidate space in my home. The computer will mostly be used for gaming and some photo editing. Will not be stationary and 15 inches will probably be enough. I plan to use the computer for about 7 years so I need to have something fairly future proof. I don't need a lot of usb Ports as I'll mainly be attaching a hub to it and I keep my pictures on external drives. Maybe 512gb hard drive should be fine. Probably want to stick with a 3070ti to keep up with games, although I'm not looking to play stuff on ultra, fps is king in my book lol. Probably want to stick with an i7 processor, i9 seems overkill

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I live in the US, I'm looking to replace my desktop to consolidate space in my home. The computer will mostly be used for gaming and some photo editing. Will not be stationary and 15 inches will probably be enough. I plan to use the computer for about 7 years so I need to have something fairly future proof. I don't need a lot of usb Ports as I'll mainly be attaching a hub to it and I keep my pictures on external drives. Maybe 512gb hard drive should be fine. Probably want to stick with a 3070ti to keep up with games, although I'm not looking to play stuff on ultra, fps is king in my book lol. Probably want to stick with an i7 processor, i9 seems overkill
I'd take a look at Asus, MSI, Eluctronics, and Lenovo. Asug G15 or Scar are pretty good for example, MSI has bunch of different model but newer GS/GE ones should be good, Elutronics is pretty good, Lenovo Legion 5i just released and its quite decent but maybe a bit pricey now. I'd also take a look at AMD procs as well, for gaming difference between say AMD 5800/5900 and 12th gen i7 is not that big really.