• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
damn, how I envy for all of you living in US/EU :|
laptop prices in my country still very high even the old model.

Acer Nitro 5 - i7 11800H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 144Hz display, no GSync/Freesync
Price at my place $1255

Lenovo Legion 5 - Ryzen 7 5800H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 165Hz, GSync+Freesync, Dolby Vision
Price at my place $1430

Lenovo Legion 5 - i7 11800H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 165Hz, GSync+Freesync, Dolby Vision
Price at my place $1565

MSI Katana GF66 - i7 12700H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 144Hz, no GSync/Freesync
Price at my place $1485

which one should I get?
using it for PC gaming, Emulators (mainly PS3 level emu), output to 4K TV for gaming/movies

does Legion's display worth $300 premium over Acer's?

also for gaming/emulator, does Intel 12th Gen worth the extra? I know Ryzen 7 5800H/i7 11800H already enough from several YouTube videos. battery life isn't important for me.

thank you

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Acer Nitro 5 - i7 11800H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 144Hz display, no GSync/Freesync
Price at my place $1255

Lenovo Legion 5 - Ryzen 7 5800H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 165Hz, GSync+Freesync, Dolby Vision
Price at my place $1430

Lenovo Legion 5 - i7 11800H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 165Hz, GSync+Freesync, Dolby Vision
Price at my place $1565

MSI Katana GF66 - i7 12700H + 16GB RAM + RTX 3060 + 1080p 144Hz, no GSync/Freesync
Price at my place $1485

which one should I get?
using it for PC gaming, Emulators (mainly PS3 level emu), output to 4K TV for gaming/movies

also for gaming/emulator, does Intel 12th Gen worth the extra? I know Ryzen 7 5800H/i7 11800H already enough from several YouTube videos. battery life isn't important for me.

thank you
Those prices don't seem too different from the US right now tbh.

The GF66 is a bad laptop so I'd ignore the fact that it has the 12th-gen CPU. The Legion 5 is the obvious choice here. Highest wattage GPU, best screen by far (the other two outright suck majorly), best cooling.

Both the Acer and MSI have what we would have once called 'Max-Q' lower wattage <100W 3060s.

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
Those prices don't seem too different from the US right now tbh.

The GF66 is a bad laptop so I'd ignore the fact that it has the 12th-gen CPU. The Legion 5 is the obvious choice here. Highest wattage GPU, best screen by far (the other two outright suck majorly), best cooling.

Both the Acer and MSI have what we would have once called 'Max-Q' lower wattage <100W 3060s.

alright thank you
usually I pick the cheapest one (Acer) but Legion's screen really tempt me.

for gaming and emulation, does going Intel improve things over Ryzen?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Can Windows laptops generally charge over USB-C? I know they come with big power bricks and barrel plugs to get full wattage performance but I'm thinking about times when I use laptops casually in various rooms in the house and plug into the various 30-45w usb-c chargers I have scattered around.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Can Windows laptops generally charge over USB-C? I know they come with big power bricks and barrel plugs to get full wattage performance but I'm thinking about times when I use laptops casually in various rooms in the house and plug into the various 30-45w usb-c chargers I have scattered around.
You need to check the individual model but a lot can be yeah. Though wattage accepted/required can vary too.

With my legion 5 Pro you need at least 65w if you're using it I think. 45 if it's asleep/powered off.

I used a 100w one for a bit and was fine, just don't expect better than battery performance if you're using it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I know several Asus Zephyrus can

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I was redirected to this thread so here goes my repost:

I'm looking into buying a gaming laptop and I don't need anything fancy, just something that can get me Destiny 2 1080p@60fps on Medium/High settings for the coming years. In my search, I've been recommended laptops with the following cards: 1650, 1650 Ti, 2060 and 3050. I'm not really savvy on the PC side of things, but my guess is that the 3050 is the best because it is the newest but the XX60 and XX50 comparisons are throwing me off. Add to this that I've just discovered the TDP can affect performance, so all 3050 don't have the same performance. I was pretty sure I should go with the 3050, but then my friend said it was not worth the price tag because of VRAM. Here comes another variable. I thought the 3060 would be nice just not to deal with all those comparisons, but I've been conviced I'd be overshooting too much for the price, I really just want Destiny (and maybe some modded Minecraft here and there). Now I don't really know what to choose.

Comparisons between CPUs are pretty straightfoward, but I can't put those GPUs in a "worst to best" order. I'd like opinions from you on perfomance of those cards. If you think some of those are equivalents in this cenario (D2 1080p@60fps), just let me know so I can get the cheapest.

P.S.: Kudos to those who can make anything of GPU benchmarks that appear on google.

On a more specific note, I'm eyeing now this notebook now:
Dell G15
i5 11400H
RTX 3050
2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
512GB PCIe NVMe M.2

Any suggestions on a cheaper and better notebook?

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Can't really recommend anything unless you post a budget, prices and where you are located or looking to buy from.
I realized now that will problably skew the prices because of currency convertion. From my currency to USD, this Dell G15 costs around $1500. There's no equivalent on Dell's US storefront, so my best approximation based on their site is that my budget is $1000.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I realized now that will problably skew the prices because of currency convertion. From my currency to USD, this Dell G15 costs around $1500. There's no equivalent on Dell's US storefront, so my best approximation based on their site is that my budget is $1000.
Hence why I asked where are you buying it. We can check places in your country.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
So i bought a asus tuf a15 2020 when it came out and opened it today for maintnence and realized it had a fan mount screw missing. Explains the buzzing sound at low fan speeds. Anyone know where i could buy some replacements? I have some nvme drive and sata drive screws laying around. Could those maybe work?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So i bought a asus tuf a15 2020 when it came out and opened it today for maintnence and realized it had a fan mount screw missing. Explains the buzzing sound at low fan speeds. Anyone know where i could buy some replacements? I have some nvme drive and sata drive screws laying around. Could those maybe work?

Your best bet is taking the other screw and trying to find it.

No the others probably won't work.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Micro center has the Strix G17 QHD with 5900hx, 130w 3070, 32GB ram and 1TB SSD on sale for $1899

It has shipping available and they don't charge sales tax in states where they don't have stores, I believe.

No mux switch, but with how the pricing is looking for the 2022 models, this seems like a pretty solid deal at $300 off.

www.microcenter.com

ASUS ROG Strix G17 G713QR-ES98Q 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Gray; AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX 3.3GHz Processor; NVIDIA - Micro Center

Get it now! The latest processors team up to take down gaming, multitasking, and more. NVIDIA graphics up to a GeForce RTX 3070 GPU deliver smooth frame rates, while up to an overclockable AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX CPU powers through heavy lifting.

Last edited:

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
I found a (lightly) used Legion 7 with 3080, 64gb RAM, 2tb SSD for ~$1,900

But I can also just get a brand new Legion 5 Pro with 3060, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD for ~1,300

Is the 7 with a 3080 and all that RAM really worth the extra $600? It feels like total overkill but the price also seems pretty good for such killer specs

statha

Feb 15, 2018
I'm in the market for a gaming laptop in the coming 1-2 months, budget about 2000€ and located in EU (going to buy from home country for Tax reasons). Dell or Asus brand.

Looking around for options, I'm becoming aware of various marketing gimmicks, for example some models feature a lower spec 3060/3070 gpus (less wattage) that I'd like to avoid, but it is not always clear of which is which. Same thing with CPUs?

Also about MUX switches - are they essential?

As this will be mainly a gaming machine (with light VMing etc) and not caring about battery time (it will be mostly hooked on power) is there a guide for what to look after and if there's any new tech that will be sane to wait for? Dont want to end up with a cut down version of cpu or gpu and regret it.

Specs roughly for any reccomendations:

i7 or AMD equivalent (is that ryzen 7?)
1080p or 1440p (not really care about Hz as it will be again connected to an external monitor)
3060, or better 3070 full power
16 gb ram (with ability to go up to 32gb)
1TB nvme (with spare slot to add another in the future)

thanks for the help!

Last edited:

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Recently moved to the UK, can anyone recommend the best place to order a gaming laptop here? Also, I am pretty ignorant about gaming laptops in general…could anyone suggest the best models if I don't want to spend more than, say, £12-1400? Ideally I think I'd like to have 1TB of SSD (maybe 500 GB?) and 16 GB RAM, i7, and an NVidia card. But I'm not sure what will be overkill for the card. For example, I see that the MSI Katana GF66 is on sale for 1099 right now, is that considered a good deal?

Also, I have family visiting from Canada at the end of April, would it be smarter to order something from Canada and ask them to bring it (although the customs charges could get me…) Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Recently moved to the UK, can anyone recommend the best place to order a gaming laptop here? Also, I am pretty ignorant about gaming laptops in general…could anyone suggest the best models if I don't want to spend more than, say, £12-1400? Ideally I think I'd like to have 1TB of SSD (maybe 500 GB?) and 16 GB RAM, i7, and an NVidia card. But I'm not sure what will be overkill for the card. For example, I see that the MSI Katana GF66 is on sale for 1099 right now, is that considered a good deal?

Also, I have family visiting from Canada at the end of April, would it be smarter to order something from Canada and ask them to bring it (although the customs charges could get me…) Thanks for any advice!
HotUKDeals is a good site for follow. It's the UK version of SlickDeals.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm in the market for a gaming laptop in the coming 1-2 months, budget about 2000€ and located in EU (going to buy from home country for Tax reasons). Dell or Asus brand.

Looking around for options, I'm becoming aware of various marketing gimmicks, for example some models feature a lower spec 3060/3070 gpus (less wattage) that I'd like to avoid, but it is not always clear of which is which. Same thing with CPUs?

Also about MUX switches - are they essential?

As this will be mainly a gaming machine (with light VMing etc) and not caring about battery time (it will be mostly hooked on power) is there a guide for what to look after and if there's any new tech that will be sane to wait for? Dont want to end up with a cut down version of cpu or gpu and regret it.

Specs roughly for any reccomendations:

i7 or AMD equivalent (is that ryzen 7?)
1080p or 1440p (not really care about Hz as it will be again connected to an external monitor)
3060, or better 3070 full power
16 gb ram (with ability to go up to 32gb)
1TB nvme (with spare slot to add another in the future)

thanks for the help!
Need to know from what country you are buying.

The Katana is not a good laptop, no. Terrible screen and very underpowered GPU, there's a reason the machine has a 3070 at that price.

If your budget is ~£1400 then I'd be looking at something like Cyberpower's Tracer V Edge. It's their version of the Eluktronics laptop people love in the US, and is ready made with everything you could want, 1440p/165Hz display, good wattage 3070, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, MUX switch, mechanical keyboard, etc.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I have an Alienware laptop I got in 2020 that has a 2080 max q design graphics card? I don't know anything about computers, but is my laptop considered outdated now? I am hesitant to get the newest games as I have no idea if this laptop is still up to the task, as I have always played older games. Though I did play Halo Infinite on this and it seemed fine.
The Alienware I have is I think an R2 m15. This thing seems to heat up pretty quickly i noticed with Infinite. IDK if that is bad. What I really dislike about this laptop is that I am constantly running outt of space. I mostly use it for drawing, and have like Photoshop, clip studio, blender installed and I can't tell you how many times I have gotten the not enough memory error on this thing. Is this a bad laptop? I can barley have 2 games installed on this thing. Right now I have danganronpa 3 and Age of empires 2 installed, and its nearing full already.. At times I thought of trying to upgrade this thing somehow but maybe it would be better to just get an entirely new laptop?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Alienware laptop I got in 2020 that has a 2080 max q design graphics card? I don't know anything about computers, but is my laptop considered outdated now? I am hesitant to get the newest games as I have no idea if this laptop is still up to the task, as I have always played older games. Though I did play Halo Infinite on this and it seemed fine.
The Alienware I have is I think an R2 m15. This thing seems to heat up pretty quickly i noticed with Infinite. IDK if that is bad. What I really dislike about this laptop is that I am constantly running outt of space. I mostly use it for drawing, and have like Photoshop, clip studio, blender installed and I can't tell you how many times I have gotten the not enough memory error on this thing. Is this a bad laptop? I can barley have 2 games installed on this thing. Right now I have danganronpa 3 and Age of empires 2 installed, and its nearing full already.. At times I thought of trying to upgrade this thing somehow but maybe it would be better to just get an entirely new laptop?
Put extra storage, you can get SSDs for it. Dell has manuals how to install it.

No, you're still fine. I have a 2080 Max Q myself. As for the heating, yeah, you'll have to repaste.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Umm you should definitely just buy an additional PCI-e 3.0 SSD to expand your storage. The RTX 2080 Max-Q is still faster than the majority of mobile GPUs, especially at 1080p.

Buy yourself an SSD and wait on the new laptop, probably until the RTX 40 series drops in 2023.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Price at my place $1255

Price at my place $1430

Price at my place $1565

Price at my place $1485

which one should I get?

thank you

Speaking personally, I have the Legion 7 with 5800 and 3060 laptop. I have it hooked up to a Samsung 4k monitor and it performs surprisingly well. Very happy with the performance I get out of it, I mostly set games to 1440p res and some tweaks in settings. Upscaling tech like DLSS helps massively.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2080 Max-Q is only a generation old and was top of the line of the last gen. Still a really good GPU. Gaming Laptops get hot, and they get loud. It's what they do. If the M.2 SSD can be upgraded or it has an additional slot, take advantage of that. Since it's most likely PCIe 3.0, those SSDs are a fair bit cheaper. Or use external storage.

A 3080 Ti upgrade wouldn't be too big, and you're better off waiting at least for RTX 4000 laptops which will probably be this time next year.

Also check and see if you can upgrade the RAM inside the laptop.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
Put extra storage, you can get SSDs for it. Dell has manuals how to install it.

No, you're still fine. I have a 2080 Max Q myself. As for the heating, yeah, you'll have to repaste.

Umm you should definitely just buy an additional PCI-e 3.0 SSD to expand your storage. The RTX 2080 Max-Q is still faster than the majority of mobile GPUs, especially at 1080p.

Buy yourself an SSD and wait on the new laptop, probably until the RTX 40 series drops in 2023.

2080 Max-Q is only a generation old and was top of the line of the last gen. Still a really good GPU. Gaming Laptops get hot, and they get loud. It's what they do. If the M.2 SSD can be upgraded or it has an additional slot, take advantage of that. Since it's most likely PCIe 3.0, those SSDs are a fair bit cheaper. Or use external storage.

A 3080 Ti upgrade wouldn't be too big, and you're better off waiting at least for RTX 4000 laptops which will probably be this time next year.

Also check and see if you can upgrade the RAM inside the laptop.

Thank you guys so much for the info! Really appreciate it! Just got back on online.
I am glad to hear the graphics card is still good to go! Hooray! I was also looking to maybe get Elden Ring and I hadn't seen my card mentioned and I could not find any info if I had the right stuff, and then it just spiraled down from there. But thank you! And I appreciate the suggestions! ^ . ^

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Jarrod put out a video testing games on the new 2022 Legion 5 Pro. If you snagged a 2021 5 pro 3070 model on discount, looks like it was a really good buy, the new Alder Lake + 3070ti looks to be just a few % better

youtu.be

Lenovo Legion 5i Pro (2022) - 12 Games Tested!

I’ve tested the Lenovo Legion 5i Pro gaming laptop in 12 different games to see how well it performs! We’ll also compare it with other laptops to see how dif...

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Got the $1399 Walmart legion pro w/ 3070

Swapped out a kit of dual rank RAM

Now it's getting higher Timespy scores than the $2,000 2022 Zephyrus M16 w alder lake and 3070 Ti that I returned. Amazing. (11,200+ combined score)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I am personally hoping the mobile RTX 4070 is a monster.

www.bestprice.gr

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H (Ryzen 7 5800H/16GB/1TB SSD/GeForce RTX 3070 8GB/FHD/Windows 10)

Βρες την καλύτερη τιμή για Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H (Ryzen 7 5800H/16GB/1TB SSD/GeForce RTX 3070 8GB/FHD/Windows 10) από χιλιάδες ηλεκτρονικά καταστήματα στην Ελλάδα. Δες χαρακτηριστικά, αξιολογήσεις χρηστών ή ρώτησε για το προϊόν
www.ubuy.com.gr

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16 Gaming Laptop, QHD 165Hz, AMD Greece | Ubuy

Shop Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16 Gaming Laptop, QHD 165Hz, AMD Ryzen 7, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Home, Storm Grey, 82JQ00F9US online at a best price in Greece. Get special offers, deals, discounts & fast delivery options on international shipping with every purchase on...

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
With the steam beta coming to Chrome OS, what are the chances of a "cheap" chromebook with an ryzen 6000 igpu?

Last edited:

statha

Feb 15, 2018
I am personally hoping the mobile RTX 4070 is a monster.

www.bestprice.gr

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H (Ryzen 7 5800H/16GB/1TB SSD/GeForce RTX 3070 8GB/FHD/Windows 10)

Βρες την καλύτερη τιμή για Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H (Ryzen 7 5800H/16GB/1TB SSD/GeForce RTX 3070 8GB/FHD/Windows 10) από χιλιάδες ηλεκτρονικά καταστήματα στην Ελλάδα. Δες χαρακτηριστικά, αξιολογήσεις χρηστών ή ρώτησε για το προϊόν
www.ubuy.com.gr

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16 Gaming Laptop, QHD 165Hz, AMD Greece | Ubuy

Shop Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16 Gaming Laptop, QHD 165Hz, AMD Ryzen 7, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Home, Storm Grey, 82JQ00F9US online at a best price in Greece. Get special offers, deals, discounts & fast delivery options on international shipping with every purchase on...

Thank you.

Also looking for any alternatives as these have limited availability and might not be available when I'm pulling the trigger on this!

Thanks again.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm looking for alternative now that I think I'm not going to buy a Steam Deck. I'm looking for something in France, reasonably priced (1000 to 1500€ max), performance and framerate are paramount to me, 1080p is fine by me, I don' t mind lowering settings, I don't really care about ray tracing, I don't care about the webcam, I'm looking more for a 14 to 15 inches screen. What do you recommend ? I've seen that 20 series graphics cards are still pretty good in laptops but the offering is all over the place. Thanks !

EDIT : The Dell G15 in this configuration looks pretty good I'd say : Dell G15

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey everyone, I'm looking for alternative now that I think I'm not going to buy a Steam Deck. I'm looking for something in France, reasonably priced (1000 to 1500€ max), performance and framerate are paramount to me, 1080p is fine by me, I don' t mind lowering settings, I don't really care about ray tracing, I don't care about the webcam, I'm looking more for a 14 to 15 inches screen. What do you recommend ? I've seen that 20 series graphics cards are still pretty good in laptops but the offering is all over the place. Thanks !

EDIT : The Dell G15 in this configuration looks pretty good I'd say : Dell G15
If you can go up to 1500€, and have a priority of performance, can you stretch for the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro at 1592€?

Look at the specs and display quality, it's basically the total package.

If we target RTX 3060 machines, I wouldn't recommend the G15. The RTX 3060 is only 90W and lags behind even other laptops with 3060s.

Last edited:

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
So I have legion 5 with the Ryzen 4800 and 1660 TI. How big a jump is gaming performance on the newer models with the 5800 and 3070? Is it worth it or should I hold out till we see the next processor/gpu combos come out?

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So I have legion 5 with the Ryzen 4800 and 1650 TI. How big a jump is gaming performance on the newer models with the 5800 and 3070? Is it worth it or should I hold out till we see the next processor/gpu combos come out?
At 1080p, 3050 Ti is 50-60% faster than your 1650 Ti. The 3060 is 50-100% faster than 3050 Ti depending on the game. So the 3070 is a completely different universe than the 1650 Ti.

The RTX 40 laptop GPUs aren't being announced until January of 2023. Upgrading to a 3070 now isn't a bad idea if you want an immediate boost.

The CPU jump is decent but t 8 core/16 threads you don't really need much help there.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
At 1080p, 3050 Ti is 50-60% faster than your 1650 Ti. The 3060 is 50-100% faster than 3050 Ti depending on the game. So the 3070 is a completely different universe than the 1650 Ti.

The RTX 40 laptop GPUs aren't being announced until January of 2023. Upgrading to a 3070 now isn't a bad idea if you want an immediate boost.

The CPU jump is decent but t 8 core/16 threads you don't really need much help there.
Slight edit. It's 1660Ti not the 1650ti. Went back and corrected my post.

Still sounds like a pretty nice jump though.

Oct 27, 2017
If you can go up to 1500€, and have a priority of performance, can you stretch for the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro at 1592€?

Look at the specs and display quality, it's basically the total package.

If we target RTX 3060 machines, I wouldn't recommend the G15. The RTX 3060 is only 90W and lags behind even other laptops with 3060s.
I would but I can't find one at that price :(

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I really need to see some RX 6800S benchmarks. 128-bit interface, with one-third of the Infinity Cache (32MB vs 96MB), less compute units... Just how bad of an RX 6800M imitation is this thing in actual games?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to see some RX 6800S benchmarks. 128-bit interface, with one-third of the Infinity Cache (32MB vs 96MB), less compute units... Just how bad of an RX 6800M imitation is this thing in actual games?

It's actually 192 bits.

Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 6900HS and Radeon RX 6800S Together

A lean, mean, all-AMD machine.

QQjLNLMFq2YWtgAEq8Ptwd-970-80.png.webp

DfZ4oF8tVb6FdhgZWu5c4e-970-80.png.webp

nAgB6RhRHPT98a2RNaTMAe-970-80.png.webp

BUgxstDC8dUfpfLoaDSHHe-970-80.png.webp

2qvFpLybxr4QuHpgprUbPe-970-80.png.webp

Basically equal or better than the 3060 in the Alienware x14, can match sometimes the 3070 Max-Q in the Razer Blade 14