• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
How is it so far? Are there wattage sliders inside of Armory rate on manual mode?

Best Buy had some open-box i9/3070ti units pop into stock last night, and I snagged one for under $2K, should be here this week. Hoping its just a return from one of the folks who were salty about the 8GB soldered RAM, and not a dead pixel or something. Oh well, their return policy is lenient if there is a problem.
Yes everything there just like expected. But honestly thermals are not as good as in the G15 for sure. When gaming I run the "Windows" mode and control the wattage with Throttlestop and Afterburner together with a 3rd party fan control app. I am at like 86c for both CPU and GPU at acceptable noise levels with demanding games.
I use silent mode for almost everything else, quite pleased with the performance and that's with the i7/3060.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here know what could be up with my Legion 5 Pro?

I thought I had fixed my problem by disconnecting the usb cable to my dual shock 4, but it still gets stuck on a black screen right after the Legion logo on boot up. So I have to start up the laptop, then turn it off, then start it up again.

Another thing is, when I close the lid and put it into sleep, when opening it again it'll try to recover the system or be really slow at starting up again.

Could it be a problem with the drive? The laptop is all new btw. I've tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 already. Sometimes files missing as well.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any laptop cooling pad worth a damn? Maybe AC powered so the fans can actually spin fast or something?

My MSI laptop is completely full of vents on the bottom side, so I'm convinced that pushing enough air inside would make a difference. But my current cooling pad barely moves any air.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any laptop cooling pad worth a damn? Maybe AC powered so the fans can actually spin fast or something?

My MSI laptop is completely full of vents on the bottom side, so I'm convinced that pushing enough air inside would make a difference. But my current cooling pad barely moves any air.
Have you tried lifting it first to see?

The fans can help a bit, but the biggest impact is just not leaving it flat on a surface.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Cooling pads don't make a huge difference imo, if your laptop is running super hot, pushing a little more air through it isn't going to be a gamechanger.

Undervolting and setting custom fan speeds on the laptop itself make a much larger difference.

Does anyone here know what could be up with my Legion 5 Pro?

I thought I had fixed my problem by disconnecting the usb cable to my dual shock 4, but it still gets stuck on a black screen right after the Legion logo on boot up. So I have to start up the laptop, then turn it off, then start it up again.

Another thing is, when I close the lid and put it into sleep, when opening it again it'll try to recover the system or be really slow at starting up again.

Could it be a problem with the drive? The laptop is all new btw. I've tried doing a clean install of Windows 10 already. Sometimes files missing as well.
Could be the drive, if you have another one you could try swapping it out.

If it's new though, and don;t want to deal with the hassle of troubleshooting. you may just want to look at RMAing it.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I know. I'm already doing both of these things. I just wanna add to that.
Ok, I have just never really seen a cooling pad make a significant difference, no matter how many fans and RGB lights they put on it.

You're trying to forcefully push air into something designed to suck air through tiny slits. It's already pulling in as much fresh air as it can without a cooling pad.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
So PSA I guess: Undervolting via ThrottleStop doesn't work on Windows 11 unless you disable virtualisation.

Thankfully I can unlock my MSI BIOS with they key combo and just undervolt from there so I don't care. But that sucks lol

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Are you sure? Because I just tried applying a -1000mV undervolt which should immediately crash the PC and nothing happened. Just because there are no errors it doesn't mean it's actually working.
Yes, the top right table shows it being applied. Also I managed to crash it with a too high undervolt ;)
I just had to unlock overclocking in the bios for the M16.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
im a pro creative that needs a device that can 'do it all' on the go, spared basically no expense. I am also extremely frustrated.

my home office setup is extremely bulky 24in cintiq and desktop cpu, and I kinda hate the damn thing but I use it for work and it gets the job done. this is unfortunately my baseline. I need a reasonably powerful computing device with extremely good pen input.

lately more then ever I've wanted a portable-'ish' device that I can draw on but will also run the full gamut of x86 applications I own and use daily. Here are some options I've already tried.

Ipad pro ($800) the pen input is great, fantastic even, but all the applications arent good. It doesnt run real software, and procreate is an overhyped, terrible photoshop substitute. I already owned this device, but I'm including it because you'd be surprised how many people suggest this thing when I bring this topic up

microsoft surface pro 8 ($1400) I want to love it, I don't. On paper it sounds perfect, runs the full fat windows experience, has iPad style pen input, sounds great! Well it's really an under powered device, for one. It choked under heavy load, and the pen input, is really not great. Dubious pressure sensitivity support across my software, pen/button ergonomics not great. I returned this a few days after purchasing.

Microsoft surface studio laptop ($2000) ive never owned one of these 'transforming' latpops before and initial impressions seemed decent. The thing had good build quality and the hinge felt sturdy. In terms of actual use, however, it has a lot of the same issues as the surface pro. Spotty sensitivity/pen input. It's also a bit underpowered, even at the 'dedicated GPU' tier. I also returned this, thanks Best Buy!

ConceptD Ezel 7 ($4000) okay now this one really made me mad. okay look at this site and tell me this thing doesn't look great: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptd7ezel like, it seems like it'd be perfect. Powerful, pro leaning, Wacom technology built in, a hefty price but at this point I'll try anything. Okay well I order one off Amazon and it arrives. first off the thing is like legit bulky. That was a bit of a turn off at the gate but I was still willing to roll with it if I fell in love. The alleged 'Wacom Technology' is a scam, it's only Wacom on a technicality. Apparently Wacom Has a budget digitizer they use for phones/phablets, that is different from the ones in their flagship devices. This digitizer does not run Wacom drivers, or have any button mapping support or function with my existing Wacom pens. it also was EXTREMELY spotty registering clicks near the bottom of the display. Also the pen is literally the worst thing I've ever tried to use, the (single) side button took a comical amount of force to get to register. For costing a small fortune, this thing was pretty much unusable, I've never been so frustrated as I was with this device. It went back to Amazon, with extreme prejudice.

this is my descent into madness.

the "Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16" (another nearly $4k device) is sort of my last resort. I kind of hate Wacom as a company and I dont want to purchase this thing. There are tons of mixed reviews on it, and it doesn't have a keyboard built in. If it doesn't cut it I'm not sure what else is left to try.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
im a pro creative that needs a device that can 'do it all' on the go, spared basically no expense. I am also extremely frustrated.

my home office setup is extremely bulky 24in cintiq and desktop cpu, and I kinda hate the damn thing but I use it for work and it gets the job done. this is unfortunately my baseline. I need a reasonably powerful computing device with extremely good pen input.

lately more then ever I've wanted a portable-'ish' device that I can draw on but will also run the full gamut of x86 applications I own and use daily. Here are some options I've already tried.

Ipad pro ($800) the pen input is great, fantastic even, but all the applications arent good. It doesnt run real software, and procreate is an overhyped, terrible photoshop substitute. I already owned this device, but I'm including it because you'd be surprised how many people suggest this thing when I bring this topic up

microsoft surface pro 8 ($1400) I want to love it, I don't. On paper it sounds perfect, runs the full fat windows experience, has iPad style pen input, sounds great! Well it's really an under powered device, for one. It choked under heavy load, and the pen input, is really not great. Dubious pressure sensitivity support across my software, pen/button ergonomics not great. I returned this a few days after purchasing.

Microsoft surface studio laptop ($2000) ive never owned one of these 'transforming' latpops before and initial impressions seemed decent. The thing had good build quality and the hinge felt sturdy. In terms of actual use, however, it has a lot of the same issues as the surface pro. Spotty sensitivity/pen input. It's also a bit underpowered, even at the 'dedicated GPU' tier. I also returned this, thanks Best Buy!

ConceptD Ezel 7 ($4000) okay now this one really made me mad. okay look at this site and tell me this thing doesn't look great: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptd7ezel like, it seems like it'd be perfect. Powerful, pro leaning, Wacom technology built in, a hefty price but at this point I'll try anything. Okay well I order one off Amazon and it arrives. first off the thing is like legit bulky. That was a bit of a turn off at the gate but I was still willing to roll with it if I fell in love. The alleged 'Wacom Technology' is a scam, it's only Wacom on a technicality. Apparently Wacom Has a budget digitizer they use for phones/phablets, that is different from the ones in their flagship devices. This digitizer does not run Wacom drivers, or have any button mapping support or function with my existing Wacom pens. it also was EXTREMELY spotty registering clicks near the bottom of the display. Also the pen is literally the worst thing I've ever tried to use, the (single) side button took a comical amount of force to get to register. For costing a small fortune, this thing was pretty much unusable, I've never been so frustrated as I was with this device. It went back to Amazon, with extreme prejudice.

this is my descent into madness.

the "Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16" (another nearly $4k device) is sort of my last resort. I kind of hate Wacom as a company and I dont want to purchase this thing. There are tons of mixed reviews on it, and it doesn't have a keyboard built in. If it doesn't cut it I'm not sure what else is left to try.
I believe you won't be able to get rid of the Cintiq, at least the 13" one.

For laptops, maybe the Zephyrus Duo, or something with a calibrated panel.

Wacom got out of the digitizer market for laptops a long time ago, they had the Surface Pro 2, but after that N-trig took off because of the drivers and then Microsoft buying them. They only go for their high end on the Wacom MobileStudios IIRC. Which are basically Cintiqs with ultrabook internals.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I believe you won't be able to get rid of the Cintiq, at least the 13" one.

For laptops, maybe the Zephyrus Duo, or something with a calibrated panel.

Wacom got out of the digitizer market for laptops a long time ago, they had the Surface Pro 2, but after that N-trig took off because of the drivers and then Microsoft buying them. They only go for their high end on the Wacom MobileStudios IIRC. Which are basically Cintiqs with ultrabook internals.
I just want a lightweight, powerful, device that can do everything 😭

DMPinheiro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I had made a thread but didn't know this one existed (thanks neoak)

Basically, my wife needs to get a new laptop for work, but she also wants us to be able to use it to play some games.

Not many requirements other than having a good processor for using the programs she needs for work. Regarding the games, we're not really looking for something that can max out every new game since we have a PS5, but we are interested in something compatible with VR, since we have a Quest 2.

Our budget is around 1800 dollars, but we can go a bit higher of needed (preferably lower).

People have been recommending the Zephyrus G14, but I see there are some different builds for it. Would the cheaper ones be able to handle playing Alyx, for example?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this one: hope its okay for $832. :/
deals.dell.com

Top Deals

Support sustainability with Dell's top deals! Save big on laptops, desktops & more. Visit Dell.com and shop now!
AMD® Ryzen™ 7 5800H Mobile
16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050 Ti, 4 GB GDDR6

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Just bought this one: hope its okay
deals.dell.com

Top Deals

Support sustainability with Dell's top deals! Save big on laptops, desktops & more. Visit Dell.com and shop now!

Should be fine for most things. You might need to bump down stuff like texture resolution, no ray tracing, and maybe lower internal resolution for vram demanding games, the 4gb is a bit of a constraint with some of the new stuff coming out.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I had made a thread but didn't know this one existed (thanks neoak)

Basically, my wife needs to get a new laptop for work, but she also wants us to be able to use it to play some games.

Not many requirements other than having a good processor for using the programs she needs for work. Regarding the games, we're not really looking for something that can max out every new game since we have a PS5, but we are interested in something compatible with VR, since we have a Quest 2.

Our budget is around 1800 dollars, but we can go a bit higher of needed (preferably lower).

People have been recommending the Zephyrus G14, but I see there are some different builds for it. Would the cheaper ones be able to handle playing Alyx, for example?
I would get something a bit larger with a higher wattage GPU unless portability is your main concern.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be fine for most things. You might need to bump down stuff like texture resolution, no ray tracing, and maybe lower internal resolution for vram demanding games, the 4gb is a bit of a constraint with some of the new stuff coming out.
I think I'm fine playing most things on ps5.
What do you think about its ability to emulate (say switch games?)

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I think I'm fine playing most things on ps5.
What do you think about its ability to emulate (say switch games?)

I think vram has not been that much of a big deal for console emulation, and the 5800h is in my experience, good enough for ps2, xbox 360, gamecube, wii games easily. Haven't tried switch but looking at some youtube videos of people playing with similar spec laptops, wii u and switch look to also run pretty good, some stutters here and there depending on the specific game.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Well, either you take N-trig, or take the Wacom digitizer that exists.

They never shipped anything that worked with their Cintiq pens beside their own Wacom branded tablets, so...
there's always option C: whine until something better exists

Tbh the n-trig digitizers on the MS surfaces worked better then the one on the Ezel.. it may have been simply defective but the pen itself was horrible too. I went ahead and ordered a MobileStudio 16. Hate to give Wacom even more money but if I fall in love with it so be it

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Any opinions on how this Alienware is. How's the reliability on Alienware laptops?
My main concern is I want a laptop with good extended warranty, not sure how good Dell protection plan anyone have experience with it?

Alienware m15 R7 : Gaming Laptop Computers | Dell Canada

Shop Dell Alienware’s 15 inch high-performance gaming laptop supporting NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics, Dolby Vision and view all gaming laptops at Dell.com

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
How is it so far? Are there wattage sliders inside of Armory rate on manual mode?

Best Buy had some open-box i9/3070ti units pop into stock last night, and I snagged one for under $2K, should be here this week. Hoping its just a return from one of the folks who were salty about the 8GB soldered RAM, and not a dead pixel or something. Oh well, their return policy is lenient if there is a problem.

I'd like to know what you think you think of the M16. I'm considering buying it eventually, but I'm also interested in the 2022 G15 if M16 has issues.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'd like to know what you think you think of the M16. I'm considering buying it eventually, but I'm also interested in the 2022 G15 if M16 has issues.
I just posted a review of it today:

It's fast, but loud on turbo mode to use the full 120w, and manual mode's fan control in Armory Crate is currently broken.

Travis Pickle

Jun 21, 2020
Got the 2021 Zephyrus G14 with the 3060 for pretty cheap.. or less expensive anyway. I'm already feeling buyer's remorse considering the new versions are just coming out but it's not like I can afford those. Please tell me I'm gonna like it. It's for sure going to be better than my Dell G5 which is a horrendous piece of shit.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Honest opinion here.

Do ya'll think the new Zephyrus 2022 line is worth the price increase for a 3070ti?

Keep debating between getting the 2021 Zephyrus G15, and waiting for the new 2022 model with a 3070ti, Mux switch, etc.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Got the 2021 Zephyrus G14 with the 3060 for pretty cheap.. or less expensive anyway. I'm already feeling buyer's remorse considering the new versions are just coming out but it's not like I can afford those. Please tell me I'm gonna like it. It's for sure going to be better than my Dell G5 which is a horrendous piece of shit.
You have DLSS. The 2022 will not.

Honest opinion here.

Do ya'll think the new Zephyrus 2022 line is worth the price increase for a 3070ti?

Keep debating between getting the 2021 Zephyrus G15, and waiting for the new 2022 model with a 3070ti, Mux switch, etc.
Mux switch is worth it IMO

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Is there a specific framerate I should lock my HP Omen 17 with a 165hz screen to if a game doesn't reach 165 FPS? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any sort of VRR but there isn't much information on this laptop for some reason.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Honest opinion here.

No. I'm returning the 2022 M16, it's not worth the markup for the slight FPS bump in gaming imo. (Plus the manual fan mode is totally broken)

I would buy the 2021 Zephyrus G15 that is on sale for $1599 right now over the 2022 $2000+ models all day long.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
No. I'm returning the 2022 M16, it's not worth the markup for the slight FPS bump in gaming imo. (Plus the manual fan mode is totally broken)

I would buy the 2021 Zephyrus G15 that is on sale for $1599 right now over the 2022 $2000+ models all day long.

I watched your video and I decided against the M16 because of your critiques, but do you think the 2022 G15 might be worth looking at? Say it doesn't have the same manual fan noise and good thermals. I'm considering the new G15 because of the ability to play unplugged with the new Ryzen AMD chips, as they have pretty promising igpu performance.

Keep in mind I'm looking for something portable, yet also powerful enough to act as a desktop replacement.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Is there a specific framerate I should lock my HP Omen 17 with a 165hz screen to if a game doesn't reach 165 FPS? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any sort of VRR but there isn't much information on this laptop for some reason.

You can usually add custom refresh rates with Custom Resolution Utility to add whatever refresh rate you want lower than the max (and sometimes higher, ymmv). Look up CRU laptop.

Otherwise you can do that same in driver software if you have a mux switch.

Otherwise you can lock to a divisor of your maximum refresh rate, and force 1/2 or 1/3 refresh rate vsync via nvcp or nvidia profile inspector, and cap framerate at that divisor as well. This is usually the most volatile option, as some games will have presentation issues with certain types of forced vsync, can interact badly with frame limiting etc.

My recommendation is just to add a couple lower refresh rates, like say 60, 90. And then use hotkey resolution changer to allow yourself to toggle between them easily depending on the game.

The one instance where this can be a problem is if your laptop display has some sort of forced overdrive calibrated for the highest possible refresh rate, in which case lower refresh rates can add streaking overdrive artifacts (inverted color after images). Can test stuff with the UFO ghosting test online. So if possible, disable panel overdrive settings via laptop software.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I watched your video and I decided against the M16 because of your critiques, but do you think the 2022 G15 might be worth looking at? Say it doesn't have the same manual fan noise and good thermals. I'm considering the new G15 because of the ability to play unplugged with the new Ryzen AMD chips, as they have pretty promising igpu performance.

Keep in mind I'm looking for something portable, yet also powerful enough to act as a desktop replacement.
Idk, I think it will perform about the same or lower than the new M16, which was only a minor bump over last year's G15.

The new 3070ti/3080ti chips aren't a generational leap, they're only a spec bump. They added a few more CUDA cores, but are still held back by wattage. Last year's 11th gen/Ryzen 5000 CPUs are strong enough to fully saturate an RTX 3000 GPU, that's why most gains being seen from Alder Lake are in synthetic CPU benchmarks and rendering times, not actual in-game FPS.

2023's RTX 4000 series laptops will be the next chance we have at a real big leap over last year's models as far as in-game FPS gains.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I think it will perform about the same or lower than the new M16, which was only a minor bump over last year's G15.

The new 3070ti/3080ti chips aren't a generational leap, they're only a spec bump. They added a few more CUDA cores, but are still held back by wattage. Last year's 11th gen/Ryzen 5000 CPUs are strong enough to fully saturate an RTX 3000 GPU, that's why most gains being seen from Alder Lake are in synthetic CPU benchmarks and rendering times, not actual in-game FPS.

2023's RTX 4000 series laptops will be the next chance we have at a real big leap over last year's models as far as in-game FPS gains.

That makes sense, but I don't have the luxury to wait for the new 4000 series laptops (my laptop is currently dying). I'm also not the type of person to replace my equipment every 2-3 years, looking for a 4 year+ investment.

I suppose I should at least wait for reviews on the new G15 and make up my mind then. Will you be covering them?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Any opinions on how this Alienware is. How's the reliability on Alienware laptops?
My main concern is I want a laptop with good extended warranty, not sure how good Dell protection plan anyone have experience with it?

Alienware m15 R7 : Gaming Laptop Computers | Dell Canada

Shop Dell Alienware’s 15 inch high-performance gaming laptop supporting NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics, Dolby Vision and view all gaming laptops at Dell.com
Opinion: $4500 CAD is WAY too much to spend on a gaming laptop in 2022. Keep it in the $2k-$2.5k range.

Next year's $2k laptop GPU is going to be aa fast or faster than the mobile RTX 3080 Ti, it's a poor investment.

For this year I'd be sticking with the RTX 3070 machines. Best balance of price to performance.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Very valid point, now that you point it out it does seem kinda stupid to spend that much money on it. I'll look for some good 3070 options.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Very valid point, now that you point it out it does seem kinda stupid to spend that much money on it. I'll look for some good 3070 options.
The Lenovo 5 Pro is currently on a significant discount, and they have the best warranty options in the industry. You can have it configured with the RTX 3070 as low as ~$2.3k currently depending on your RAM/SSD upgrades, before warranty selections.

Don't forget to select the RGB keyboard.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, new at this so sorry if this is a dumb question but new laptop I got has 2 slots for M2 drives I wanna get at least a 1TB so I can dedicate that space for just games. I do need to buy a heatsink along with the actual drive when I buy one right?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, new at this so sorry if this is a dumb question but new laptop I got has 2 slots for M2 drives I wanna get at least a 1TB so I can dedicate that space for just games. I do need to buy a heatsink along with the actual drive when I buy one right?
you don't need a heatsink, but it wouldn't hurt

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
The Lenovo 5 Pro is currently on a significant discount, and they have the best warranty options in the industry. You can have it configured with the RTX 3070 as low as ~$2.3k currently depending on your RAM/SSD upgrades, before warranty selections.

Don't forget to select the RGB keyboard.
Sweet thanks! That price is great and the specs look very nice. Great to know their warranty is good, that was one of my main concerns.
You just helped me find my next laptop! :D