• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
it went live about 4 mins early and i wasnt expecting that so i wasnt refreshing

fuck that shitty system

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still out of stock

the add to cart hasn't gone away but it won't let you checkout. I've been refreshing my cart just in case and nada

I'm getting close to just pulling the trigger on the $949 omen 15 from best buy, same day pick up would have for the weekend. not a terrible consolation especially with the lenovo 5 back to $1299

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the G14 supposed to be on sale this week on Best Buy? I've constantly checked this week and its never actually gone up for the BF Ad price unless I just missed it.

Whats the verdict between the G14 vs M15 anyway? From the reviews I've read the G14 runs noticeably cooler but I guess the M15 performs better? Not sure which way I'd go for nearly the same price between the two

Last edited:

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Living in Brazil is painful regarding electronics, the dollar exploding has certainly not helped. I really would like to stick with Asus, but here their only gaming laptop is the strix at some ridiculous price (more than $4000, yes, that is dollars at current exchange rate), so Im limited in options, any help would be appreciated.

The available brands at somewhat reasonable prices are Dell, Avell, Lenovo and Acer, but they are all more or less in the same in price range. RAM, hard drives and screen do not really change price much, what really changes its the gpu as expected, it is more or less (in dollars) :

for RTX 2060 in the ~$1600 range
for GTX 1650 in the --$1400 range
for GTX 1050 in the ~$1200 range

and this is with black friday "discount" lol should I give up? I might get a gtx 1050 laptop at $1000 but at this point I'm not sure is worth it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps it's hesitation but I didn't really find a laptop deal that gelled with me today. Will try with more searching over weekend and cyber monday.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wasn't the G14 supposed to be on sale this week on Best Buy? I've constantly checked this week and its never actually gone up for the BF Ad price unless I just missed it.

Whats the verdict between the G14 vs M15 anyway? From the reviews I've read the G14 runs noticeably cooler but I guess the M15 performs better? Not sure which way I'd go for nearly the same price between the two
The M15 has the far better screen, as the G14's slow refresh rate causes ghosting.

Living in Brazil is painful regarding electronics, the dollar exploding has certainly not helped. I really would like to stick with Asus, but here their only gaming laptop is the strix at some ridiculous price (more than $4000, yes, that is dollars at current exchange rate), so Im limited in options, any help would be appreciated.

The available brands at somewhat reasonable prices are Dell, Avell, Lenovo and Acer, but they are all more or less in the same in price range. RAM, hard drives and screen do not really change price much, what really changes its the gpu as expected, it is more or less (in dollars) :

for RTX 2060 in the ~$1600 range
for GTX 1650 in the --$1400 range
for GTX 1050 in the ~$1200 range

and this is with black friday "discount" lol should I give up? I might get a gtx 1050 laptop at $1000 but at this point I'm not sure is worth it.
Which can you actually afford? That pretty much determines everything.

How good is the Dell G5 for gaming, specs seem about right and it's within the price range (a little over but can be handled).

Dell G5 15 Inch Gaming Laptop with Intel® 10th Gen CPU | Dell UK

38.1cm (15) gaming laptop with 10th Gen Intel Core™ processors, NVIDIA GeForce graphics, dual-fan cooling and Game Shift technology.

Worth pursuing or look for something else? (UK By the way)

There are a bunch of RTX 2060 equipped laptops on Amazon around £1,200 or less:

ASUS Strix

HP Omen 15

Lenovo Legion 5 (AMD) 17"

ASUS TUF FA506

I just bit on this MSI Leopard with a 2070 for $1099. Idk about that rainbow keyboard though..

That was $1099? Damn good deal, it's showing $1499 now.

The keyboard is fully customizable, by the way. You can set it to a single solid color.

Perhaps it's hesitation but I didn't really find a laptop deal that gelled with me today. Will try with more searching over weekend and cyber monday.
I didn't see much mindblowing stuff either.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The M15 has the far better screen, as the G14's slow refresh rate causes ghosting.

Aw thats a bummer, G14 seemed perfect for me. Crazy good battery life and portability/size with some solid specs. Best Buy BF deals go through Saturday and thats one of the Saturday only deals.

Guess I'll keep on waiting for a gaming laptop

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Aw thats a bummer, G14 seemed perfect for me. Crazy good battery life and portability/size with some solid specs. Best Buy BF deals go through Saturday and thats one of the Saturday only deals.

Guess I'll keep on waiting for a gaming laptop
Whether it bothers you is YMMV. The G14 is obviously the most popular mobile gaming laptop right now so plenty of people don't care.

I know neoak made a video comparing the screens of the G14 and M15.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
gamer zone activated

xpYSNdP.jpeg

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think I'm leaning towards the G14. There really isn't a better cross section of size, cost and power at the moment. We bought one for my girlfriend and it's got me convinced.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Okay I decided to bite the bullet and bought the M15 from Best Buy. Was worried about thermals and it running hot but it looks like theres some pretty easy ways to tweak that to make it more manageable and nearly everything else seems great.

I noticed this laptop has USB-C charging? Any idea how well this works? I've never had one that supported that before. What kind of charger would I even need to use this cause that seems pretty appealing to not always have to lug around the bigger AC adapter but still have something that can charge this (and other devices) when I'm not using it for gaming.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Well, Dell cancelled a scheduled on-site service to replace my screen (delays due to Covid), and instead is sending my another replacement, again with upgraded specs. This is the second time they've done this.

Dell's initial support is AWFUL, but once you get referred to the 'ARG' (advanced resolutions group), they seem quite lenient sending out replacements and such.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I think I'm leaning towards the G14. There really isn't a better cross section of size, cost and power at the moment. We bought one for my girlfriend and it's got me convinced.
The G14 really is unmatched as a portable gaming device. The only knocks are the screen's response time and the inconsistency in whether you receive one with an even keyboard backlighting.

Okay I decided to bite the bullet and bought the M15 from Best Buy. Was worried about thermals and it running hot but it looks like theres some pretty easy ways to tweak that to make it more manageable and nearly everything else seems great.

I noticed this laptop has USB-C charging? Any idea how well this works? I've never had one that supported that before. What kind of charger would I even need to use this cause that seems pretty appealing to not always have to lug around the bigger AC adapter but still have something that can charge this (and other devices) when I'm not using it for gaming.
You'll want something like this this.

That's just an example, not a recommendation. Shop around for one you like.

Well, Dell cancelled a scheduled on-site service to replace my screen (delays due to Covid), and instead is sending my another replacement, again with upgraded specs. This is the second time they've done this.

Dell's initial support is AWFUL, but once you get referred to the 'ARG' (advanced resolutions group), they seem quite lenient sending out replacements and such.
Deill is kinda like Amazon in a way. They're so big that sometimes they'll send whatever is in stock just to resolve the matter quickly.

So what did you have and what kind of upgrade is it?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Go to BIOS, set undervolt to - 80mV

And see about lifting the back a bit, like a laptop cooler. Anything cheap works. The CPU has liquid metal for paste, so it's as good as you can get.

You can't game using the 2070 on USB-C charging FYI, same with battery.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017

I have the m15 right now if you have any questions.

Gonna return it though cause the keyboard deck gets too warm for me and can become a bit uncomfortable when gaming for long periods. Otherwise it's perfect for me and I wish I didn't have to return it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I already did that and even underclocked the gpu.

I think it's just the nature of a smaller and slimmer form factor. I don't go above 75 degrees most of the time too.
Oof, then yeah.

I use a S15 with 2080 Super Max-Q , so that's even a bit hotter and I feel it, but I'm not bothered. YMMV tho

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Oof, then yeah.

I use a S15 with 2080 Super Max-Q , so that's even a bit hotter and I feel it, but I'm not bothered. YMMV tho
Tbh if it was $200 cheaper with a 2060 instead I might keep it. But I think the performance gains on a 2070 max q isn't worth it at all.

Also the fans can get really loud at around 70%.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh if it was $200 cheaper with a 2060 instead I might keep it. But I think the performance gains on a 2070 max q isn't worth it at all.

Also the fans can get really loud at around 70%.
It's basically like a full 2060 performance, but in a thin chassis

You might get a thicker one with a 2060 Max-P at 115W and should be similar

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Deill is kinda like Amazon in a way. They're so big that sometimes they'll send whatever is in stock just to resolve the matter quickly.

So what did you have and what kind of upgrade is it?

1st replacement; Dell G3 (4c/8t i5, 8GB, 1660tiMaxQ, 60hz non-gsync), to Dell G5 SE (8c/16t 4800H, 16GB 3200Mhz, 5600m, 144hz freesync)
2nd; 512GB SSD to 1TB, and bigger battery.

I'm so glad to get away from Intel CPUs in laptops.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
1st replacement; Dell G3 (4c/8t i5, 8GB, 1660tiMaxQ, 60hz non-gsync), to Dell G5 SE (8c/16t 4800H, 16GB 3200Mhz, 5600m, 144hz freesync)

Nice, that CPU upgrade is freaking massive, will do you well with the next-gen games.

The screen is just as significant of an upgrade too, in my view. A great display makes everything more pleasant, just the day to day experience.

Will this be your first high refresh rate display?

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Nice, that CPU upgrade is freaking massive, will do you well with the next-gen games.

The screen is just as significant of an upgrade too, in my view. A great display makes everything more pleasant, just the day to day experience.

Will this be your first high refresh rate display?
I bought the original laptop Labor Day sale last year for stupidly cheap, thinking I'd sell a year later. But with this replacement, I think I'll just stick with it for the foreseeable future.
This is my first time with both 144hz and FreeSync. I've been playing a lot of Spelunky 2 and other platformers, the smooth 2D scrolling looks/feels so nice. I should really try an FPS game on it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I bought the original laptop Labor Day sale last year for stupidly cheap, thinking I'd sell a year later. But with this replacement, I think I'll just stick with it for the foreseeable future.
This is my first time with both 144hz and FreeSync. I've been playing a lot of Spelunky 2 and other platformers, the smooth 2D scrolling looks/feels so nice. I should really try an FPS game on it.
I'm sure you've seen people claim that high refresh only benefits FPS games and the like, but you'll soon learn that the truth is every genre of gaming is improved by the fluidity you've gained. !20+ fps makes everything so much more pleasant, and that even extends to non-gaming tasks like scrolling web pages and doing things in Windows.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

This thing is pricey as heck in Germany. After a few days use I'm glad I got the Razer Blade 15 though, at least for the Black Friday price. Not as loud as I was expecting and performance is pretty good for what I've tried so far.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
gamer zone activated

xpYSNdP.jpeg

Nice setup!
Don't forget to remove that sticker after your return period is over (it's fine for now, but after a while, it will frill up and leave sticker residue). Then you'll really get that clean black slate look :).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Nice setup!
Don't forget to remove that sticker after your return period is over (it's fine for now, but after a while, it will frill up and leave sticker residue). Then you'll really get that clean black slate look :).
But how will I know there is an Intel® i7™ processor inside?? Will do 🤝 . Though this may never be unplugged and used as a normal laptop so if arm friction is what is to blame for the sticker frill, maybe I'll be safe...

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
But how will I know there is an Intel® i7™ processor inside?? Will do 🤝 . Though this may never be unplugged and used as a normal laptop so if arm friction is what is to blame for the sticker frill, maybe I'll be safe...

NO STICKERS 😡 !!!!

Also, not sure if you can change the charging threshold, asit might be important to look into that if you're going to keep it plugged in or at least let the battery cycle every now and then while working.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

A useful video for anyone still hunting for deals. It's a very handy guide if you're having a hard time weighing the pros and cons of this year's Ryzen laptops. The pretty good HP Omen 15 is available right now on Bestbuy for $849 which is great for an eight core laptop. On the intel side their 6 core Lenovo Legion is $899. Both include a 1660ti.

For anyone that hasn't seen it already, Nvidia has announced their next batch of laptop GPUs that will be launching in the next few months if people want to hold off a bit. There's a chart in the article showing what price ranges for laptops will be getting which GPUs, and what they'll be replacing. For example laptops starting at around $999 that currently have RTX 2060s will be replaced with RTX 3060s. Info in the article below. Apologies if posted already, didn't see anything about it in my quick skim.
wccftech.com

Exclusive: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Mobility Series Lineup, Roadmap 1H 2021 And AMD CPU Support!

Update 1/1/2021 10:34 PM GMT+5: Embargo lift date is currently 1/12/2021 9:45 AM PST. I went for a late-night sitting with Jensen and have a pretty big update for our readers. Great news: NVIDIA's RTX 3000 mobility series is going to be landing as soon as January 2021 and the company is finally...
Next year looks really promising from what we've seen so far. It wouldn't surprise me if the new RX 6000 and RTX 3000 mobile cards put out very competitive desktop Turing levels of performance that will power 1080p/144Hz laptop screens very nicely.
I...uh...can't believe I didn't know this. For years I just bought small increases for my laptop. I think my current gaming laptop came with a single stick of 8GB RAM back in 2015 and I chucked in a second stick of 4GB. Sounds like I should have sprung for the 8GB.
If you have a desktop and two RAM sticks you should space them apart to get dual channel performance. Sticking two right next two each other puts them in single channel config (filling all four slots gives you dual channel as well). Just an FYI. I missed that one for a long time.
The G14 really is unmatched as a portable gaming device. The only knocks are the screen's response time and the inconsistency in whether you receive one with an even keyboard backlighting.
The soldered RAM is worse than the keyboard. It's the gaming equivalent of headphone jack removal. Just totally unnecessary at 14" and above.

Sick upgrade

www.notebookcheck.net

Going all in on AMD: Dell G5 15 Special Edition Radeon RX 5600M Laptop Review

It's not the quietest or best-looking gaming laptop out there, but $860 USD for GeForce RTX 2060-level graphics and Core i7-like performance is hard to argue with. The value of the all-AMD G5 15 Special Edition is impressive.

NBC reviewed it and offers a calibrated screen profile which might improve the colors further.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
My insta bought Legion 5i 81Y60042GE Black Weekend Deal directly from Lenovo just got the shipping confirmation, yeah! Now my little one does not need to share his y740 with old pops anymore ;)
Just heads up: look out for those direct Lenovo deals, they can be pretty good (1099€ in Germany is a steal).

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Think that I'm going to settle on the HP Omen with this deal from box.co.uk, looks like one to go for?

Lol at the Avengers promo code, not really gonna play that game.
I'd think about configuring one of these. It's the UK version of the Eluktronics MAX-17 that's popular in the US. I messed around with the configurator, 16GB RAM (2 x 8), RTX 2070, 512GB NVME + 1TB NVME comes out to £1,574 shipped.

This laptop also has the i7-10875H, an 8 core/16 thread CPU. With the new consoles having the same configurations, it'd be nice to have.

My insta bought Legion 5i 81Y60042GE Black Weekend Deal directly from Lenovo just got the shipping confirmation, yeah! Now my little one does not need to share his y740 with old pops anymore ;)
Just heads up: look out for those direct Lenovo deals, they can be pretty good (1099€ in Germany is a steal).
Definitely let us know what you think of it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I've been squinting to look for the ghosting and it's there, but difficult to notice. I imagine it might be more of an issue with competitive games that require consistent image clarity like the comparison video with the M15 neoak posted. The keyboard is fine at night, but since I got the white version with the silver keyboard the lights blend with the keys and it actually gets a bit difficult to read in daylight. Not a dealbreaker, but it is kind of annoying. Yeah the lighting is inconsistent, it's a far cry from the Steel Series keyboard on my 17.3" MSI. Feels great to type on though.

The soldered RAM is worse than the keyboard. It's the gaming equivalent of headphone jack removal. Just totally unnecessary at 14" and above.
I suspect they cut costs where they could in the design, knowing that most people won't bother opening it up to upgrade components.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm not too fussed about the RAM, as the need to expand beyond 16GB is so niche. Given the rest of the specs, by the time you need more than 16GB of system RAM, you probably need more than 6GB of VRAM and more horsepower than the 2060, meaning an entirely new laptop.

I've been squinting to look for the ghosting and it's there, but difficult to notice. I imagine it might be more of an issue with competitive games that require consistent image clarity like the comparison video with the M15 neoak posted. The keyboard is fine at night, but since I got the white version with the silver keyboard the lights blend with the keys and it actually gets a bit difficult to read in daylight. Not a dealbreaker, but it is kind of annoying. Yeah the lighting is inconsistent, it's a far cry from the Steel Series keyboard on my 17.3" MSI. Feels great to type on though.
Yeah I've said many times that YMMV with the response time. The laptop is selling gangbusters so it obviously isn't a dealbreaker for many people. If I myself needed a 14" laptop for carrying, I'd buy the G14 with no hesitation. Shit with an RTX 3060 that thing is going to be next level.

re: MSI, yes, I also have a 17" laptop from them, and the keyboards are one thing that keeps me coming back. So freaking good from a quality of lighting and feel of typing perspective.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I bought one of these: https://www.xmg.gg/en/xmg-apex-15 used with a Ryzen 3700x cpu and a 2070 gpu, it's pretty awesome and I recommend it but not if you're sensitive to noise. It's super loud! My old laptop had an i7-6700k desktop cpu and a GTX 980m and it was loud but nothing compared to this. This thing is overbearing even just booting into windows haha. I've had to undervolt/underclock it to 1.075v/4ghz for web browsing etc so that the fans don't go crazy and I use a headset if I'm playing any games. I was hoping it'd be quieter since the 6700k is a 95w chip and the 3700x is 65w but the new one runs hotter and louder unless the undervolt is applied.

One weird thing I'm getting is that Desktop Window Manager and Client Server Runtime Process report in task manager that they're using a good chunk of GPU every time I move my mouse/drag a window or anything like that. I have all drivers/the BIOS etc up to date. It never happened on my old laptop and a quick Google shows loads of folk having similar issues but none of the fixes I've read have worked for me. Anyone have any ideas how to solve it? I even wiped the laptop and put a fresh copy of Windows on but it's still the same.