• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
In the $500-$600 range, you should be looking for a GTX 1650 equipped machine for light gaming.

Oh yes, I've been praying for 1440p/120fps+ panels foe YEARS.

By the time I next upgrade my laptop (waiting for 5nm RTX 4000 series), I'll definitely be in the market for something like that.

Good news: Undervolting can't damage your laptop. If you go to far, the laptop reboots and resets the setting, and you back it down until you find the stable voltage. No damage can be done.

Overvolting in an entirely different story, but this is not that. You'll never break a CPU/GPU by taking power away from it.

I undervolt both my CPU and GPU on my dell and have no problems with it.

Fans also are noticably quieter and the temps don't go above 80 degrees most of the time.

I'm an idiot and thought that video was about replacing the thermal paste which was talked about earlier. I actually do have my CPU undervolted, but it's still feeling like it's getting warmer after consistent use for 1.5 years, even with max fans being used while gaming and having a cooling pad.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
I'm an idiot and thought that video was about replacing the thermal paste which was talked about earlier. I actually do have my CPU undervolted, but it's still feeling like it's getting warmer after consistent use for 1.5 years, even with max fans being used while gaming and having a cooling pad.
Maybe it's cause you're playing more demanding games?

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

Looks like some of BB's Black Friday deals are up. You can get the HP for $449 with a 4600H and two expandable RAM slots for 32GB. That's a 10750H tier laptop CPU for less than $500. It is absolutely bananas. The Omen is about one of the best chassis you can get a 1660ti in. That terabyte of nvme SSD, responsive/colorful 144Hz screen, 16GB and 4800H makes it an excellent midrange gaming machine as well for $949. There is almost no need to open it up for upgrades for a good while. I feel so spoiled for choice that I don't know quite what to do. I feel like an eternal window shopper lol.
I hope to God that AMD can use the 5000 series to do series damage to Intel's strangle hole on the gaming laptop market. It's ridiculous how little improvement we've seen over the past decade.

Oh and the 5700M actually did make it into the Alienware Area-51M R2's configurator. I know one person who has one configured with it; the 5700M performs about exactly as a desktop RX 5700 (non-XT), as it should as the specs are identical.

Shame they couldn't get that out to the masses like 8 months ago, the RX 5700 is a damn good GPU.
SolarPowered

I had it saved. Here's a Firestrike score I was sent for the 5700M at stock clocks:

That's right about the same as the mobile RTX 2070 Super, and it's $180 less to choose in the configuration versus that GPU.
I remember seeing the leaks and coming to the conclusion that the 5700M was only a skip ahead of the 5600M. This would have been a great GPU to pair with the 4800H and 4900H (especially on the Dell 4900H model that's on bestbuy right now). That said....

www.notebookcheck.net

Undervolted AMD RX 6800 with 183 W TGP offers clues about an upcoming RX 6800M laptop-grade GPU matching the desktop RTX 2080 Ti

The RX 6800 GPU particularly efficient when it comes to undervolting, as its TGP can be reduced by 45 W down to 183 W. These figures are already laptop-friendly if we look at Nvidia's RTX 2080 Super mobility GPUs, so we can expect to see an RX 6800M GPU with 150-180W TGPs that matches the...

wccftech.com

More Radeon RX 6700 Series Details Emerge For A Midrange Powerhouse

With the release of the Radeon RX 6800 Series behind us, we're looking now at info on the unannounced Radeon RX 6700 Series!

AMD certainly has the necessary hardware to compete in the laptop space . The final question is whether or not TSMC has the output. A 12GB card sure would go nicely with a 1440p laptop screen, but those don't exist ye-
youtu.be

NEW Gaming Laptops - 78% More Pixels!

2021 RTX 3080 + AMD gaming laptops are gonna have this new screen. Here's an early look at what this 1440p 165hz panels are like Available Early - https://ww...

Thoughts?

For me 1080p is fine for now since 1440p you'll need a flagship GPU to play at a high framerate.

Also I think 1440p might not be as noticable on 15.6" laptops.

And downscaling to 1080p looks bad if you want to trade looks for performance.
Oh my!

I've been waiting for a resolution bump on laptops for years. It does suck that this will hit our FPS, but the positives are too good imo. I'm starting to think I should just buy a cheap 6 core gaming laptop to last me for a couple of years. Then around 2023 I can upgrade to a RDNA 4/Nvidia chiplet GPU laptop that can properly push 1440p/144Hz.
Well I just want a laptop for gaming but also that's futureproof.

I'm guessing we won't see substantial gains if rtx 3000 series are coming to mobile next year (and maybe with new CPUs I dunno how this really works).

For now I'm fine with 1080p/100+ fps in medium to high graphics and since there aren't really many gaming laptops with 1440p that are in the affordable range.
Eight CPU cores, 8GB VRAM, DLSS 2.0 and RTX are pretty much everything you need for a machine that will last you many years at 1080p. RDNA 2 will very likely give us crazy powerful raster cards even if RTX and DLSS don't matter to you.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've been waiting for a resolution bump on laptops for years. It does suck that this will hit our FPS, but the positives are too good imo. I'm starting to think I should just buy a cheap 6 core gaming laptop to last me for a couple of years. Then around 2023 I can upgrade to a RDNA 4/Nvidia chiplet GPU laptop that can properly push 1440p/144Hz.
The 5nm GPUs coming in Q1 of 2023 are currently my targeted time to upgrade. I also have an i7-9700K and RTX 2080 in my laptop though, so the wait if nothing for me.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Maybe it's cause you're playing more demanding games?

I don't think Old School Runescape and Crusader Kings 2 are demanding games lol. Though with Cyberpunk coming out I guess I definitely should bite the bullet and do it. Just nervous I'll screw it up. I was iffy just opening it up to add a SSD.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

Looks like some of BB's Black Friday deals are up. You can get the HP for $449 with a 4600H and two expandable RAM slots for 32GB. That's a 10750H tier laptop CPU for less than $500. It is absolutely bananas. The Omen is about one of the best chassis you can get a 1660ti in. That terabyte of nvme SSD, responsive/colorful 144Hz screen, 16GB and 4800H makes it an excellent midrange gaming machine as well for $949. There is almost no need to open it up for upgrades for a good while. I feel so spoiled for choice that I don't know quite what to do. I feel like an eternal window shopper lol.

I remember seeing the leaks and coming to the conclusion that the 5700M was only a skip ahead of the 5600M. This would have been a great GPU to pair with the 4800H and 4900H (especially on the Dell 4900H model that's on bestbuy right now). That said....

www.notebookcheck.net

Undervolted AMD RX 6800 with 183 W TGP offers clues about an upcoming RX 6800M laptop-grade GPU matching the desktop RTX 2080 Ti

The RX 6800 GPU particularly efficient when it comes to undervolting, as its TGP can be reduced by 45 W down to 183 W. These figures are already laptop-friendly if we look at Nvidia's RTX 2080 Super mobility GPUs, so we can expect to see an RX 6800M GPU with 150-180W TGPs that matches the...

wccftech.com

More Radeon RX 6700 Series Details Emerge For A Midrange Powerhouse

With the release of the Radeon RX 6800 Series behind us, we're looking now at info on the unannounced Radeon RX 6700 Series!

AMD certainly has the necessary hardware to compete in the laptop space . The final question is whether or not TSMC has the output. A 12GB card sure would go nicely with a 1440p laptop screen, but those don't exist ye-

Oh my!

Eight CPU cores, 8GB VRAM, DLSS 2.0 and RTX are pretty much everything you need for a machine that will last you many years at 1080p. RDNA 2 will very likely give us crazy powerful raster cards even if RTX and DLSS don't matter to you.
I've never been a PC gamer before, but it was time for me to update my laptop and I went with that $450 one from BestBuy. Kind of excited to see what things I can play with it. I dunno how accurate some of these "can i run it" sites are, but from what I'm pulling from the BestBuy specs, it can seemingly run plenty of PS4 games. It even says it meets minimum requirements for Cyberpunk, which sounds wrong, lol. I'd just be happy to play stuff like Tales of Berseria or DBZ: Kakarot.

I guess now I have to start paying attention to Steam sales and things, haha.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
My 1 year Lenovo gaming laptop from last year is having screen problems, going to have to repaired and then sell it

i want a high quality good feeling laptop, is there any huge mark against a razer? I don't mind spending the extra money

i have a really really good desktop already, prolly going to keep it to a1660ti or 2660

should I wait for amd and 3000 series to release?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
My 1 year Lenovo gaming laptop from last year is having screen problems, going to have to repaired and then sell it

i want a high quality good feeling laptop, is there any huge mark against a razer? I don't mind spending the extra money

i have a really really good desktop already, prolly going to keep it to a1660ti or 2660

should I wait for amd and 3000 series to release?
Razer?

avoid avoid avoid

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm on the lookout for a budget gaming laptop for my daughter, these seems reasonable and within my price range:

Gaming Laptops - Cheap UK Deals on Great Gaming Laptops | Currys

Love your laptop lifestyle and lightning fast PC gaming? Check out our collection of cutting-edge gaming laptops and experience next level gaming on the go.

How does it look? FWIW she doesn't play demanding games but may want to as she grows up.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this last year on Black Friday:

It's been great, but it seems that more and more games want 16GB RAM while still supporting my GPU and CPU. So i want to install another 8GB on this to make it 16GB. Never did this before so I just want to make sure everything will be fine.

Will this:

work with this:
Aaoskr2.jpg

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone have any opinions on the omen 15 that best buy is doing (4800H, 1660ti) vs. the lenovo legion 5 with the amd cpu (it's not available right now but it's also the 4800H with an rtx 2060). $949 for the omen vs. $1109 for the legion

checking out the deals for black friday it seems like gaming laptops have come a long way in the past 5 years, kind of blown away by the value you can get nowadays

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Ok got my laptop opened up and the old thermal paste off. That wasn't too bad. Hopefully it'll be easy to put it back together as well. Just waiting on Amazon to drop off the new stuff and I should be done. Guess I need to figure out how to clean the fans because man they are dirty.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
The 5nm GPUs coming in Q1 of 2023 are currently my targeted time to upgrade. I also have an i7-9700K and RTX 2080 in my laptop though, so the wait if nothing for me.
Lucky you
I've never been a PC gamer before, but it was time for me to update my laptop and I went with that $450 one from BestBuy. Kind of excited to see what things I can play with it. I dunno how accurate some of these "can i run it" sites are, but from what I'm pulling from the BestBuy specs, it can seemingly run plenty of PS4 games. It even says it meets minimum requirements for Cyberpunk, which sounds wrong, lol. I'd just be happy to play stuff like Tales of Berseria or DBZ: Kakarot.

Welcome to the club. Your wallet will hate you.
Just bought the Best Buy laptop $450 one. Would anyone recommend adding ram? If so what's the best brand/type to use?
Another 8GB should be enough if you are a light user. I tried searching for the RAM, but the process is unecessarily complicated. I personally feel more comfortable with 32GB, but that's an investment that should probably be made on a more expensive gaming laptop.
I'm on the lookout for a budget gaming laptop for my daughter, these seems reasonable and within my price range:

Love your laptop lifestyle and lightning fast PC gaming? Check out our collection of cutting-edge gaming laptops and experience next level gaming on the go.

How does it look? FWIW she doesn't play demanding games but may want to as she grows up.
You should probably get the 4600H one.

The 3550H is mediocre even for a four core processor. The 4600H is easily worth that extra amount of money and you even get a so-so 120Hz screen.
anyone have any opinions on the omen 15 that best buy is doing (4800H, 1660ti) vs. the lenovo legion 5 with the amd cpu (it's not available right now but it's also the 4800H with an rtx 2060). $949 for the omen vs. $1109 for the legion
Apparently the lenovo legion allows you disable nvidia optimus which improves performance and it's screen has a larger freesync range. I personally really like the aesthetics of the Omen. It's a real tossup, but if you're willin to spend a little more then you do get those extras and DLSS (much more valuable than FPS sucking RTX imo).
checking out the deals for black friday it seems like gaming laptops have come a long way in the past 5 years, kind of blown away by the value you can get nowadays
The pascal 1000 series from Nvidia truly brought console class gaming to laptops and changed the game big time. The new 6-8 core laptop CPUs (especially AMD's Renoir processors) now bring tremendous processing power to the $400-$800 budget realm as well. It's a good time to be a PC gamer.
Ok got my laptop opened up and the old thermal paste off. That wasn't too bad. Hopefully it'll be easy to put it back together as well. Just waiting on Amazon to drop off the new stuff and I should be done. Guess I need to figure out how to clean the fans because man they are dirty.
You might want to invest in something like a datavac. They're great for cleaning dusty computer internals. I got mine for $60 years ago, but it seems like Covid might have resulted in price hikes.

Oct 27, 2017
Another 8GB should be enough if you are a light user. I tried searching for the RAM, but the process is unecessarily complicated. I personally feel more comfortable with 32GB, but that's an investment that should probably be made on a more expensive gaming laptop.

I bought a16gig stick. That'll be good enough for me. I have a series x which I'll probably do most my gaming on but just wanted something I could do work and experience some pc gaming.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the lenovo legion allows you disable nvidia optimus which improves performance and it's screen has a larger freesync range. I personally really like the aesthetics of the Omen. It's a real tossup, but if you're willin to spend a little more then you do get those extras and DLSS (much more valuable than FPS sucking RTX imo).

The pascal 1000 series from Nvidia truly brought console class gaming to laptops and changed the game big time. The new 6-8 core laptop CPUs (especially AMD's Renoir processors) now bring tremendous processing power to the $400-$800 budget realm as well. It's a good time to be a PC gamer.

nice thanks

it really is crazy. I got a gaming laptop back when the "but can it run crysis??" was in full bloom and that's how I spec'd it out. it was some piece of shit hp pavilion and it cost over $2000. did the job I guess but what you can get today in the $800-$1300 range is crazy.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a laptop for some gaming and currently have my eyes on a G3 15-3500 from Dell. I7, 16GB, RTX 2060...

I can get it for approx. 1000€ , which seems ok if a little bit over my budget. The only things I'm worrying about are noise levels and heat. I'm guessing with specs like these, it's bound to be pretty noisy and prone to high temperatures. Is this something I should really look at or does that come with laptop gaming territory in the "you just have to deal with it" sense?

I might bite on a less powerful laptop (say something with 8GB and a 1650) if noise and heat are a lot less of an issue with these lower specs.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the legion 5 I wanted changed from temporarily unavailable to coming soon! think I'm gonna wait on that. the omen 15 looks great too but it was really just that it was available for same day pickup at best buy. though coming from a thinkpad I am worried about the durability of their consumer grade stuff and posts like this:

Which gaming laptops have the best build quality/customer service?

I am absolutely done with Lenovo

don't fill me with confidence! what kind of lenovo did you have? I have two thinkpads and they're both still going strong (though one is a glorified paperweight because it's just old. long live the thinkpad twist, really love that form factor) and the one I'm using now has been absolutely abused. my understanding is that their consumer grade laptops are no better or worse than any of the other brands which is making me a little hesitant dropping $1000 on something I want to last

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
For anyone that hasn't seen it already, Nvidia has announced their next batch of laptop GPUs that will be launching in the next few months if people want to hold off a bit. There's a chart in the article showing what price ranges for laptops will be getting which GPUs, and what they'll be replacing. For example laptops starting at around $999 that currently have RTX 2060s will be replaced with RTX 3060s. Info in the article below. Apologies if posted already, didn't see anything about it in my quick skim.
wccftech.com

Exclusive: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Mobility Series Lineup, Roadmap 1H 2021 And AMD CPU Support!

Update 1/1/2021 10:34 PM GMT+5: Embargo lift date is currently 1/12/2021 9:45 AM PST. I went for a late-night sitting with Jensen and have a pretty big update for our readers. Great news: NVIDIA's RTX 3000 mobility series is going to be landing as soon as January 2021 and the company is finally...

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
For anyone that hasn't seen it already, Nvidia has announced their next batch of laptop GPUs that will be launching in the next few months if people want to hold off a bit. There's a chart in the article showing what price ranges for laptops will be getting which GPUs, and what they'll be replacing. For example laptops starting at around $999 that currently have RTX 2060s will be replaced with RTX 3060s. Info in the article below. Apologies if posted already, didn't see anything about it in my quick skim.
wccftech.com

Exclusive: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Mobility Series Lineup, Roadmap 1H 2021 And AMD CPU Support!

Update 1/1/2021 10:34 PM GMT+5: Embargo lift date is currently 1/12/2021 9:45 AM PST. I went for a late-night sitting with Jensen and have a pretty big update for our readers. Great news: NVIDIA's RTX 3000 mobility series is going to be landing as soon as January 2021 and the company is finally...

Hoping Walmart does another Overpowered launch with the 3000 series. Would love to upgrade down the line.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
wccftech.com

my planned summer purchase is looking good. I should have plenty of 3080m options by then. I'm looking for either a great 1440p/144hz (like the one Dave Lee had a video about the other day) or a 4k OLED (like the one currently in the Razer Blade 15"). All I do is play Warhammer, so a high resolution is what I want. 4k OLED would look soooooo nice. Here's hoping its easy enough to browse at Microcenter in person by spring/summer.

Nov 20, 2019
I just sold my Razer Blade Pro 2080 Max Q with 32GB ram...I want to purchase another laptop but I want to get the 2080 super Max Q or next year wait for the 3080 Max Q laptops...lol.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I just sold my Razer Blade Pro 2080 Max Q with 32GB ram...I want to purchase another laptop but I want to get the 2080 super Max Q or next year wait for the 3080 Max Q laptops...lol.
I'd say wait, and I say that as a Asus Zephyrus S15 with 2080 Super Max-Q owner lol.

Unless you REALLY need it right now, like I did when I bought it, then it's better to wait.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

The mobile 1650 is pretty close to the GTX 1060, just to give you a relative idea. You're definitely be playing PS4 games well at 1080p.

I bought this last year on Black Friday:

It's been great, but it seems that more and more games want 16GB RAM while still supporting my GPU and CPU. So i want to install another 8GB on this to make it 16GB. Never did this before so I just want to make sure everything will be fine.

Will this:

work with this:
You should be fine, though I'd try to find an identical RAM stick if possible.

The 2060 is absolutely worth the extra money, for longevity's sake.

I bought a16gig stick. That'll be good enough for me. I have a series x which I'll probably do most my gaming on but just wanted something I could do work and experience some pc gaming.
A single 16GB stick paired with the 8GB stick means you won't have dual channel though.

Yeah but that's like £150 more which is over my budget.
Can you do £699.00?
Which gaming laptops have the best build quality/customer service?

I am absolutely done with Lenovo

No one has better CS than Dell/Alienware. Sending someone to your home is pretty much the win.

I'm looking for a laptop for some gaming and currently have my eyes on a G3 15-3500 from Dell. I7, 16GB, RTX 2060...

I can get it for approx. 1000€ , which seems ok if a little bit over my budget. The only things I'm worrying about are noise levels and heat. I'm guessing with specs like these, it's bound to be pretty noisy and prone to high temperatures. Is this something I should really look at or does that come with laptop gaming territory in the "you just have to deal with it" sense?

I might bite on a less powerful laptop (say something with 8GB and a 1650) if noise and heat are a lot less of an issue with these lower specs.

Finding those specs within your budget, you take it and run the CPU/GPU on balanced profile so the temps/noise stay down.

Go with the 1650 and you'll be wanting to upgrade in a year anyway.

wccftech.com

I'm mad skeptical of RTX 3060 SKUs being anywhere near $1k on day one. Nvidia also said the RTX 2060 would be available for $999 in 2020 laptops, and that never really came to fruition.

Nvidia can "suggest" it, but I expect $1,199 as usual.

What 15-inch gaming laptops are recommended for a budget of around £650?

This is the best buy I see around both of your budgets.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of randomly bought a Razer Blade 15 2020 base model as it was on a pretty big sale price for BF in Germany. I've always been content with kind of bad performance and adjusted my 'pc gaming' accordingly, i.e. by only playing certain titles that would run on whatever Thinkpad I currently use, but I'm playing FFXIV lately and the 23fps I was fine with dropped to like 14 in certain expansion raids so it made me upgrade lol.

Old news at this point but I've never really experienced 144hz + FPS. Pretty wild.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here have the legion 5? Anyone know if it can be currently undervolted?

Looks like the AMD version is dropping to $1000 tomorrow too

Legion 5 15” Gaming Laptop with AMD Ryzen

5⭐ reviews ✔️ FREE next business day shipping ✔️ Fly into combat with Lenovo Legion 5 15” gaming laptops featuring Intel® Core™ & NVIDIA® GeForce®

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here have the legion 5? Anyone know if it can be currently undervolted?

5⭐ reviews ✔️ FREE next business day shipping ✔️ Fly into combat with Lenovo Legion 5 15” gaming laptops featuring Intel® Core™ & NVIDIA® GeForce®
I think the 5i can.

Is the AMD one still like a 6 week wait?

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Yes, just one more 8GB stick would be best.

Watch this Jarrod's Tech video to see why dual channel is so important for gaming:

The bechmarks speak for themselves.

I...uh...can't believe I didn't know this. For years I just bought small increases for my laptop. I think my current gaming laptop came with a single stick of 8GB RAM back in 2015 and I chucked in a second stick of 4GB. Sounds like I should have sprung for the 8GB.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oh nice, $999 makes this a no brainier vs the $949 omen 15

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The Lenovo Legion 5i will go on sale for 600.00 USD (down from 1100.00 USD) at 9AM EST. That is less than 10 minutes from now.

Link

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really know anything bout game laptops but have about 1000-1500 to spend on one. Any recommendations?