• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
I'd wait until the full scope of Black Friday deals are in view. I'll keep an eye out.

Honestly the one that's in stock with dual channel 16GB RAM is the one I was talking about. It's the better buy for not much more as you'd need to add RAM to the other model to get full performance out of it anyway.

Dual channel is a big deal especially with Ryzen CPUs.
The model in question is out of stock even though it's not labeled as such on the page - if you actually add it to your cart you get an error message about that

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm in the market for scouting for a new laptop over the black friday sales. Being in the UK and having a budget of about £1000, where would be the best places to look for deals (And to avoid a patsy in the process as well)?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything in the $500 range that will play Sims 4 with mods out there? My coworker is on a budget and I don't know what exists in that range.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I've been putting off getting a new computer for the past few years. I have a Dell Inspiron 15-R, but it is starting to literally fall apart. I have also routinely had problems with it recognizing my headset when I talk to people online with Discord. I am pretty bad about understanding computer specs, but am looking for a solid upgrade that will let me play games like Baldur's Gate 3 and Xcom 2 without any hassle. I have a budget of around 1-1.5K. If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I've been putting off getting a new computer for the past few years. I have a Dell Inspiron 15-R, but it is starting to literally fall apart. I have also routinely had problems with it recognizing my headset when I talk to people online with Discord. I am pretty bad about understanding computer specs, but am looking for a solid upgrade that will let me play games like Baldur's Gate 3 and Xcom 2 without any hassle. I have a budget of around 1-1.5K. If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it.

Can't go wrong with that for now. But if you can do 17.3" https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gl-series-gl75-10sfk-029-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155401

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you so much for the recommendation. The one hesitation my family is having with the Asus is that it doesn't have a built in webcam, so they're recommending I try https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g...0-512gb-ssd-rgb-black/6416474.p?skuId=6416474

Could anyone tell me if this looks like a bad pick? I'm a little gun shy about buying a Dell again, as the last couple I've used have had some issues recognizing my headset through the audio jack. For some reason even when I make sure Headset is selected it will still not recognize the mic. I know it's a minor issue, but since I'm working from home having a reliable mic connection is pretty important to me.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for the recommendation. The one hesitation my family is having with the Asus is that it doesn't have a built in webcam, so they're recommending I try https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g...0-512gb-ssd-rgb-black/6416474.p?skuId=6416474

Could anyone tell me if this looks like a bad pick? I'm a little gun shy about buying a Dell again, as the last couple I've used have had some issues recognizing my headset through the audio jack. For some reason even when I make sure Headset is selected it will still not recognize the mic. I know it's a minor issue, but since I'm working from home having a reliable mic connection is pretty important to me.
The Asus has liquid metal for the CPU. The Dells usually have to be repasted to have decent thermal performance

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
do we know when the new gaming laptops will come out? im assuming its with the rtx 3000 series next spring?

also does anyone know whats the difference between new and open box certified for best buy? the asus one has it and is almost $100 off with it

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Has anybody with the Asus TUF A15 experienced or found a solution to the awful sound quality when connecting Bluetooth devices? I've searched and asked for months with no luck.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody with the Asus TUF A15 experienced or found a solution to the awful sound quality when connecting Bluetooth devices? I've searched and asked for months with no luck.

Not with that notebook, but I've had a similar issue on my desktops when connecting my AirPods

The bad sound quality is because it's using "Hands Free" instead of "Stereo" which is a separate audio device. Toggling between them usually gets me back to good quality audio.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not with that notebook, but I've had a similar issue on my desktops when connecting my AirPods

The bad sound quality is because it's using "Hands Free" instead of "Stereo" which is a separate audio device. Toggling between them usually gets me back to good quality audio.

Unfortunately not a fix for me. That was one of the first potential remedies I found (trust me, I have changed so many settings and messed with so many drivers it's unreal). I think it's narrowed down to some sort of Realtek issue -- I've heard from a few people with the exact same model that have the issue, and every once in a while I get my hopes up that maybe someone has figured something out, but no dice. Thanks, though.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know.

Also since you've had the same model before do you mind if I ask some questions?

How much ram is soldered to the motherboard? And was the SSD that came with it in 1 1TB NVMe or 2 512GB NVMe?
8 GB is soldered. It was 1 SSD, with space for another 2280.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Hello if anyone is interested awhil back I posted my Sager for sale in bts 2070 super max P with a i7 10875h cpu, a billion dollars or $1200 shipped

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Looking around now would this one be better than the ASUS?

Only a 2060 but it's not max q and 512 gb is the cons that I can see.
The Legion 5 is one of the better gaming laptops on the market. If you wait a few days the AMD version might come back in stock. For just ten more dollars you can get a noticeably superior CPU in the 8 core 4800H. In a few years you'll definitely appreciate the extra cores while gaming.

Legion 5 15” Gaming Laptop with AMD Ryzen

5⭐ reviews ✔️ FREE next business day shipping ✔️ Fly into combat with Lenovo Legion 5 15” gaming laptops featuring AMD Ryzen™ & NVIDIA® GeForce®
do we know when the new gaming laptops will come out? im assuming its with the rtx 3000 series next spring?
Late March at the earliest. We'll probably see some 6000M AMD laptops drop sooner than this year's 5000M laptops as well.

Last edited:

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Anybody here dealt with CPU throttling? I got a Dell G7 2070 Max-Q earlier in the year and its nonstop, extreme throttling during gaming is actively making me miserable. I've used Throttlestop. Fuck all impact. One of those laptop cooling trays? Likewise.

I've messed with every possible combination of settings short of actual manual fan control which I wish this damn company, bafflingly, didn't lock the damn user out of. I'm going to see if I can exchange it tomorrow, which is comedically unlikely, so I'm basically looking at cracking the thing open itself and adding a heatsink or something. Not exactly my comfort zone, messing with the internals of an already-gimped laptop.

Anybody here got some advice? Going out my damn mind.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here dealt with CPU throttling? I got a Dell G7 2070 Max-Q earlier in the year and its nonstop, extreme throttling during gaming is actively making me miserable. I've used Throttlestop. Fuck all impact. One of those laptop cooling trays? Likewise.

I've messed with every possible combination of settings short of actual manual fan control which I wish this damn company, bafflingly, didn't lock the damn user out of. I'm going to see if I can exchange it tomorrow, which is comedically unlikely, so I'm basically looking at cracking the thing open itself and adding a heatsink or something. Not exactly my comfort zone, messing with the internals of an already-gimped laptop.

youtu.be

Address that HOT i7 8750h!

Every single chassis will have different results. This is a hard CPU to keep in the "sweet spot". But I love it!What's that Overlay you keep asking? Check...

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
youtu.be

Address that HOT i7 8750h!

Every single chassis will have different results. This is a hard CPU to keep in the "sweet spot". But I love it!What's that Overlay you keep asking? Check...
I've done all of this but to no avail. I still get throttled. I am also using a Dyson floor fan to mitigate the heating problems, and it's still not entirely effective. It's been like this since I installed a Dell update months and months ago. Hence I am now looking at hardware solutions.

Here is a pic of my tragic "set-up":

9qN7cVQ.jpg

Showing a bit of toe just as a bonus

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Look up a video on replacing the thermal paste, and do that. It will change your life.

The Legion 5 is one of the better gaming laptops on the market. If you wait a few days the AMD version might come back in stock. For just ten more dollars you can get a noticeably superior CPU in the 8 core 4800H. In a few years you'll definitely appreciate the extra cores while gaming.

Legion 5 15” Gaming Laptop with AMD Ryzen

5⭐ reviews ✔️ FREE next business day shipping ✔️ Fly into combat with Lenovo Legion 5 15” gaming laptops featuring AMD Ryzen™ & NVIDIA® GeForce®

Late March at the earliest. We'll probably see some 6000M AMD laptops drop sooner than this year's 5000M laptops as well.
I have no faith in AMD having a reasonable release schedule for a mobile RDNA2.

Nvidia will be showing laptops at CES in a couple months. We'll be lucky if AMD comes to the table by next summer.

I'll be glad if AMD proves me wrong this time. They haven't been relevant in laptops since 2011. Ironically, that was the year of the Radeon HD 6000M Series. I chose the HD 6970M over the GTX 485M that year. Great GPU.

Let's see if life really does come full circle.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Excellent, mate. Cheers. Is it worth looking into a heatsink/liquid cooling situation if there's enough space? I'll post pics of the interior when I crack it open.
No, hell no. I've extensively experimented with those copper heatsink/shims in the past and they do not improve cooling at all.

I guarantee that upgrading the thermal paste on your CPU/GPU should be the first thing you do.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
do you think its worth waiting for those or no?
I guess it depends on whether or not you're after something specific? If you aren't we've got good to great 6/8 core CPU options and DLSS/RTX capable RTX GPUs. Deals have been pretty good this year so far. A 6GB RTX 2060 will age well at 1080p.

I'm personally waiting for Ryzen 5000 laptop CPUs with improved single core/gaming performance, maybe USB4 and more AMD GPU options. Nvidia got super spooked by RDNA 2 this year and shaved $100-200 dollars off their 3070 and 3080. If we're lucky we see that same aggressiveness in the laptop space bringing RTX/DLSS to brand new sub $1000 laptops. RDNA 2's performance per watt improvements lead me to believe AMD could be even more competitive in the laptop GPU space. I'm not very hopeful about a speedy mobile RDNA 2 rollout, though...
Look up a video on replacing the thermal paste, and do that. It will change your life.

I have no faith in AMD having a reasonable release schedule for a mobile RDNA2.

Nvidia will be showing laptops at CES in a couple months. We'll be lucky if AMD comes to the table by next summer.

I'll be glad if AMD proves me wrong this time. They haven't been relevant in laptops since 2011. Ironically, that was the year of the Radeon HD 6000M Series. I chose the HD 6970M over the GTX 485M that year. Great GPU.

Let's see if life really does come full circle.
Yeah, I'm not confident either. We'll find out in a few weeks whether or not AMD and TSMC are capable of keeping up with desktop GPU demand. I'm just hoping we don't have another repeat of the 5700M debacle this year. They announced it, but I don't think a single 5700M laptop was ever released.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
No, hell no. I've extensively experimented with those copper heatsink/shims in the past and they do not improve cooling at all.

I guarantee that upgrading the thermal paste on your CPU/GPU should be the first thing you do.
Got it, cheers. Hopefully that will do the trick. Has it been a good enough solution to make you abandon Throttlestop? I'm now hoping that clearing any potential dust out and replacing the thermal paste will be enough to do that for me. Just want to use the CPU at its supposed potential.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I guess it depends on whether or not you're after something specific? If you aren't we've got good to great 6/8 core CPU options and DLSS/RTX capable RTX GPUs. Deals have been pretty good this year so far. A 6GB RTX 2060 will age well at 1080p.

I'm personally waiting for Ryzen 5000 laptop CPUs with improved single core/gaming performance, maybe USB4 and more AMD GPU options. Nvidia got super spooked by RDNA2 this year and shaved $100-200 dollars off their 3070 and 3080. If we're lucky we see that same aggressiveness in the laptop space bringing RTX/DLSS to brand new sub $1000 laptops. RDNA2's performance per watt improvements lead me to believe AMD could be even more competitive in the laptop GPU space. I'm not very hopeful about a speedy RDNA2 rollout, though...

Yeah, I'm not confident either. We'll find out in a few weeks whether or not AMD and TSMC are capable of keeping up with desktop GPU demand. I'm just hoping we don't have another repeat of the 5700M debacle this year. They announced it, but I don't think a single 5700M laptop was ever released.
I hope to God that AMD can use the 5000 series to do series damage to Intel's strangle hole on the gaming laptop market. It's ridiculous how little improvement we've seen over the past decade.

Oh and the 5700M actually did make it into the Alienware Area-51M R2's configurator. I know one person who has one configured with it; the 5700M performs about exactly as a desktop RX 5700 (non-XT), as it should as the specs are identical.

Shame they couldn't get that out to the masses like 8 months ago, the RX 5700 is a damn good GPU.

Got it, cheers. Hopefully that will do the trick. Has it been a good enough solution to make you abandon Throttlestop? I'm now hoping that clearing any potential dust out and replacing the thermal paste will be enough to do that for me. Just want to use the CPU at its supposed potential.
I've never used Throttlestop in my life. I do apply a small undervolt with Intel XTU.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
SolarPowered

I had it saved. Here's a Firestrike score I was sent for the 5700M at stock clocks:

zERWYzW.png

That's right about the same as the mobile RTX 2070 Super, and it's $180 less to choose in the configuration versus that GPU.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017

I'm personally waiting for Ryzen 5000 laptop CPUs with improved single core/gaming performance, maybe USB4 and more AMD GPU options. Nvidia got super spooked by RDNA 2 this year and shaved $100-200 dollars off their 3070 and 3080. If we're lucky we see that same aggressiveness in the laptop space bringing RTX/DLSS to brand new sub $1000 laptops. RDNA 2's performance per watt improvements lead me to believe AMD could be even more competitive in the laptop GPU space. I'm not very hopeful about a speedy mobile RDNA 2 rollout, though...
Well I just want a laptop for gaming but also that's futureproof.

I'm guessing we won't see substantial gains if rtx 3000 series are coming to mobile next year (and maybe with new CPUs I dunno how this really works).

For now I'm fine with 1080p/100+ fps in medium to high graphics and since there aren't really many gaming laptops with 1440p that are in the affordable range.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I found this deal thanks to HotUKDeals.

Within my price budget of around £1000, 16 GB Ram which is good to. Needs to be good at a mix of general use and gaming and I think this is the case. Only concern appears to be the battery which doesn't sound like it stores too much. Also good Warranty options as well. Is this one a deal worth pursuing? Or should the wait for the black friday sales occur?

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Impressed with my Dell G5 SE, feels good to finally escape Intel CPUs in laptops. Backlight bleed kinda sucks, though, big blob in the bottom right corner. Dell's on-site support in coming in a few days -- anyone have any experience with them? Hopefully it'll be a quick replacement and they don't damage the chassis.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
youtu.be

NEW Gaming Laptops - 78% More Pixels!

2021 RTX 3080 + AMD gaming laptops are gonna have this new screen. Here's an early look at what this 1440p 165hz panels are like Available Early - https://ww...

Thoughts?

For me 1080p is fine for now since 1440p you'll need a flagship GPU to play at a high framerate.

Also I think 1440p might not be as noticable on 15.6" laptops.

And downscaling to 1080p looks bad if you want to trade looks for performance.

Sep 7, 2018
Last edited:

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I've done all of this but to no avail. I still get throttled. I am also using a Dyson floor fan to mitigate the heating problems, and it's still not entirely effective. It's been like this since I installed a Dell update months and months ago. Hence I am now looking at hardware solutions.

Here is a pic of my tragic "set-up":

9qN7cVQ.jpg

Showing a bit of toe just as a bonus
Lol oh man the toe lol.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I saw this deal and was wondering if this is pretty good? For right now I just want something to play the Life Is Strange games and indies on. I know graphics cards are important, but I'm still confused on that part on what to look for.

In the $500-$600 range, you should be looking for a GTX 1650 equipped machine for light gaming.

youtu.be

NEW Gaming Laptops - 78% More Pixels!

2021 RTX 3080 + AMD gaming laptops are gonna have this new screen. Here's an early look at what this 1440p 165hz panels are like Available Early - https://ww...

Thoughts?

For me 1080p is fine for now since 1440p you'll need a flagship GPU to play at a high framerate.

Also I think 1440p might not be as noticable on 15.6" laptops.

And downscaling to 1080p looks bad if you want to trade looks for performance.
Oh yes, I've been praying for 1440p/120fps+ panels foe YEARS.

By the time I next upgrade my laptop (waiting for 5nm RTX 4000 series), I'll definitely be in the market for something like that.

I want to do this with my OP 17+ laptop but I'm terrified I will break it.
Good news: Undervolting can't damage your laptop. If you go to far, the laptop reboots and resets the setting, and you back it down until you find the stable voltage. No damage can be done.

Overvolting in an entirely different story, but this is not that. You'll never break a CPU/GPU by taking power away from it.

Sep 7, 2018
It says it's still there for me, but sadly only in one store that's 30 miles away from me. I have no way to go out there.
In the $500-$600 range, you should be looking for a GTX 1650 equipped machine for light gaming.
Thanks cuz I was about to buy it.