• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Looking to get a good gaming mechanical keyboard for my laptop to save wear and tear on the keys. The keys on the left side can get a little warm as well.

Looking for something small, initially I liked the 60% keyboards but figure the 70% range keeps more of the keys and may be the smarter option. Any experiences or thoughts? I do play Tarkov and it requires a lot of keys but a few could easily be re-mapped.

Then I find today amazon has prime day deals on razor keyboards. The smaller one I was looking at seems good except the reviews indicating button sticking after a few months of use. It's definitely making me question it. There are other razor models that are available but do they have overall build issues with keyboards?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LT1NS1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0TBHFbP7Z38P7

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Which would you guys recommend? (for photoshop, Clipstudio, some video editing + Gaming)
Both are priced the same and will only be using at home

I know there are specs differences but I wonder about the build quality and perhaps you guys have some insight to this

Acer Predator Helios 300 15.6" Gaming Laptop [240Hz][i7-10750H][RTX 2070 8GB][16GB DDR4][512GB SSD]
Product Detail
  • 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display (240Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms IPS Display and 300nit)
  • I0th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core Processor (2.6 GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design with 8 GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4 2933MHz Dual-Channel Memory
  • 512GB PCIe NVme SSD
  • Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)
  • RGB Keyboard
or
HP OMEN 15.6" Gaming Laptop [300Hz][i7-10750H][RTX 2060 6GB][16GB DDR4][512GB SSD][Shadow Black]
Product Details
  • 15.6" Full HD display 300Hz Widescreen LED
  • 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10750H 2.6 gigahertz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4 2933MHz
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • RGB Backlit Keyboard
  • Wireless/Wired connectivity (Wifi 6 - 802.11ax)

ACER

HP

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone have a Zephyrus G14? How is the screen response time? From reviews it seems like this is the weak point of the screen despite its 120hz refresh rate. The rest of the laptop seems solid, I'm considering replacing my bulky 17 incher with it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bought an Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-43) With 12 gb of ram, Ryzen 7, Geforce 1650, 1tb hdd and 128 of ssd.

Some questions

1) Should I bother upgrading the RAM of it? I was thinking of buying another 8gb ram so I could have 16 while also activating the dual channel
2) Is for the best to add another SSD of 1tb?
3) What other upgrades I could make to the laptop?
4) Which are the most important things that I should do to extend the life of my laptop?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I bought an Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-43) With 12 gb of ram, Ryzen 7, Geforce 1650, 1tb hdd and 128 of ssd.

Some questions

1) Should I bother upgrading the RAM of it? I was thinking of buying another 8gb ram so I could have 16 while also activating the dual channel
2) Is for the best to add another SSD of 1tb?
3) What other upgrades I could make to the laptop?
4) Which are the most important things that I should do to extend the life of my laptop?
i use 8 GB on my laptop and it is perfectly fine as games will not eat up ram but i also have a desktop so not sure if i was only 1 i would say so.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a Zephyrus G14? How is the screen response time? From reviews it seems like this is the weak point of the screen despite its 120hz refresh rate. The rest of the laptop seems solid, I'm considering replacing my bulky 17 incher with it.
Made a video to compare

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a weird question, but I've got an Asus Zephyrus uh something that has 8gb of soldered in Ram

Now I have put in another 8gb of ram for dual channel but what would happen if I stuck a 16gb stick in there instead

So instead of 8gb+8gb it would be 8gb+16gb. Would the first 16gb run in dual channel and then the remaining 8gb run single channel or would the full 24gb be in dual channel mode?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
So I have a weird question, but I've got an Asus Zephyrus uh something that has 8gb of soldered in Ram

Now I have put in another 8gb of ram for dual channel but what would happen if I stuck a 16gb stick in there instead

So instead of 8gb+8gb it would be 8gb+16gb. Would the first 16gb run in dual channel and then the remaining 8gb run single channel or would the full 24gb be in dual channel mode?
The Zephyrus G14 right? If you add say a 32gb stick into the slot it won't actually improve performance. The going theory was that it would run dual channel up to 16gb and single channel if it went beyond that, but in tests that doesn't appear to be the case. Instead what happens is it will run everything in single channel. People are still tinkering with it, and having more RAM may be useful for creative suites. For gaming though it seems that the 8 + 8 dual channel config as it comes stock is best. There are some 16 + 16 soldered models out there but they're only sporadically offered in different countries. Also I believe since the sticks are DDR4 3200mh they're quite fast and replacing one with DDR4 2666mh would cause performance dips across the board in both the integrated chip and GPU.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
The Zephyrus G14 right? If you add say a 32gb stick into the slot it won't actually improve performance. The going theory was that it would run dual channel up to 16gb and single channel if it went beyond that, but in tests that doesn't appear to be the case. Instead what happens is it will run everything in single channel. People are still tinkering with it, and having more RAM may be useful for creative suites. For gaming though it seems that the 8 + 8 dual channel config as it comes stock is best. There are some 16 + 16 soldered models out there but they're only sporadically offered in different countries. Also I believe since the sticks are DDR4 3200mh they're quite fast and replacing one with DDR4 2666mh would cause performance dips across the board in both the integrated chip and GPU.
Ah dang it

Ok, I will stick to the 8+8 I have in it. Was hoping I could push it a bit higher but if there's no decent gain to be had I'll leave it. Thanks for the answer though, saved me some cash

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, this Lenovo is currently on amazon for $999. It's a steal at that price for a 6GB GPU, a 144Hz/110% sRGB screen and a beefy cooling solution.
The response time can get as bad as 35ish milliseconds. It's almost a 60Hz panel when it's not at it's best. That and the soldered RAM are real weaknesses for sure. Ideally you'd want a 144Hz screen with sub 15ms response times at worst. Jarrod's Tech channel on youtube and notebookcheck offer plenty of laptop reviews with display information (and free calibrated color profiles on the latter site as a bonus) for those who want to make an informed purchase.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice. It's looking like I'm probably going to want to pick up a new laptop soon instead of a 3080, so I'd like some thoughts. For reference, I'm Australian, and I have a .edu email address so I can access education discounts. I'd like a RTX2060 as this laptop will likely be my desktop replacement as I will probably be travelling interstate and be in hospital full time or in and out of hospital. It'll ask. I can spend around $2500AUD for it at the moment. This has kind of shortened it down to a number of options.

Asus Tuf A15 Ryzen 7 ($1999-2099) - The cheapest, and one of the few with a Ryzen chip. I had seen concerns about the TUF's heating and screen and some Australians saying to avoid the laptop because of it. Not sure if it's hyperbole or a legit thing to avoid.
Asus ROG Strix G15 ($2199) - On sale atm, usual price seems to be around $2499. I don't know much else about it, however
Lenovo Legion 5Pi ($2109 with education discount) - Is missing a webcam, but has a metal chassis and larger battery compared to the 5i (And is also cheaper than the 5i with education discount)
Aftershock Vapor 15x ($2249 with 16GB RAM upgrade) - These guys are supposed to be our equivalent of Eluktronics, from what my googling has told me. Battery is super small though compared to the competiton. There's also the Vapour Pro for around the same price, with a bigger battery, mechanical keyboard, but a previous gen Intel CPU
Metabox Prime-Ai ($2417 with 16GB RAM and 500GB storage upgrades) - the other available Ryzen/2060 combo, but it's a 3xxx Ryzen, not a 4xxx Ryzen at this price like the TUF. This is a Clevo Australian equivalent
Metabox Prime-S ($2467 with 16GB RAM and 500GB storage upgrade) - the Intel Clevo in a different chassis
HP Omen (2020 refresh) ($2498) - Just came off sale for ~$2100 :( Has probably the aesthetics I like the most but feels hard to justify compared to its cheaper competiton.

I know, it's a lot of laptops still, and there's probably some I've missed in my consideration. Getting a hold of the Ryzen variants with the 2060s seem to be tough, and other than the TUF (haha), they seem to be more expensive (The Zephyrus G15 is $2499 with a 2060 MaxQ when it's in stock, for example). I've had a Metabox long ago, and it was very bulky, which is kind of a point against it but I don't know if current-gen Metaboxes are better. IDK. I'm just kind of lost and overwhelmed :(

EDIT: Oh at the moment, I'd been leaning towards the Legion 5Pi, (I was leaning to theOmen when it was about the same in price, but, it's bumped back up and they don't seem to have stock on the HP Education store :( )

Oct 25, 2017
The Ryzen version of that omen with a 2060 would be a good sale, but stock seems to be pretty fucked in australia (non existant?) for whatever reason.

On your budget, I bought this laptop, which initially had issues but has stabilized after some updated from dell and AMD

deals.dell.com

Featured Products | Dell Australia

Looking for our latest and greatest technology products? Explore Dell laptops, desktops, gaming laptops, monitors for your home or business needs. Shop now & avail rewards!

But I understand if you wanna go with something that has an nvidia chip instead.

www.ozbargain.com.au

Dell 27" QHD 144hz (165hz on DP) IPS Gaming Monitor S2721DGF $547.77 (Was $799) Delivered @ Dell Australia

Deal: Dell 27" QHD 144hz (165hz on DP) IPS Gaming Monitor S2721DGF $547.77 (Was $799) Delivered @ Dell Australia, Store: Dell, Code: SKELD BONUS7, Category: Computing

Uhhh apparently you can get my laptop at 1659 with this ozbargain code. that's a no brainer imo

Last edited:

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
My older gaming PC with a 970 just bit the dust and was thinking about going the laptop route this time instead.

Does it make sense to buy a RTX 2060 or 2070 laptop right now, or would it be best just to wait the 6 months or so and get a RTX 3070 when the mobile version of those cards come out?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
My older gaming PC with a 970 just bit the dust and was thinking about going the laptop route this time instead.

Does it make sense to buy a RTX 2060 or 2070 laptop right now, or would it be best just to wait the 6 months or so and get a RTX 3070 when the mobile version of those cards come out?
You need it now or in 6 months?

I bought a laptop with a 2080 Super Max-Q because I was going away for work travel. Used it heavily. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ran Echelon

Oct 30, 2017
I really wish Nvidia would implement DLSS support throughout their lineup. I'm considering getting a laptop with a lower end gpu (mx450-1650 ti) and the lack of DLSS is making me leery.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks! See, this is kind of thing that I didn't know!
No prob. Sometimes you need knowledge.

The GTX 1650 is faster than a GTX 1060, so you are getting a huge boost over the 1050.
Asus Tuf A15 Ryzen 7 ($1999-2099) - The cheapest, and one of the few with a Ryzen chip. I had seen concerns about the TUF's heating and screen and some Australians saying to avoid the laptop because of it. Not sure if it's hyperbole or a legit thing to avoid.
Asus ROG Strix G15 ($2199) - On sale atm, usual price seems to be around $2499. I don't know much else about it, however
Lenovo Legion 5Pi ($2109 with education discount) - Is missing a webcam, but has a metal chassis and larger battery compared to the 5i (And is also cheaper than the 5i with education discount)
Aftershock Vapor 15x ($2249 with 16GB RAM upgrade) - These guys are supposed to be our equivalent of Eluktronics, from what my googling has told me. Battery is super small though compared to the competiton. There's also the Vapour Pro for around the same price, with a bigger battery, mechanical keyboard, but a previous gen Intel CPU
Metabox Prime-Ai ($2417 with 16GB RAM and 500GB storage upgrades) - the other available Ryzen/2060 combo, but it's a 3xxx Ryzen, not a 4xxx Ryzen at this price like the TUF. This is a Clevo Australian equivalent
Metabox Prime-S ($2467 with 16GB RAM and 500GB storage upgrade) - the Intel Clevo in a different chassis
HP Omen (2020 refresh) ($2498) - Just came off sale for ~$2100 :( Has probably the aesthetics I like the most but feels hard to justify compared to its cheaper competiton.

The TUF does have the really poor screen (45% NTSC coverage) with washed out colors. I'd call that the fall back option as the specs are perfect otherwise.

The G15 is itself a good machine but the i7-10750H is a mediocre CPU. The i7-10875H is really the CPU to aim for in my opinion, IF the budget allows.

The Lenovo Legion gets the same treatment as the G15.

The Aftershock Vapor has super good specs for the price, which is why I wouldn't accept less than the 10875H from these other similarly priced machines based around Intel CPUs.

Metabox Prime A1 has crazy powerful desktop Ryzens to pair with just an RTX 2060. Seems unbalanced and too expensive.

Metabox Prime-S is well specced.

HP Omen is way too expensive.

If waiting 6 months doesn't bother you, there is your answer.

I really wish Nvidia would implement DLSS support throughout their lineup. I'm considering getting a laptop with a lower end gpu (mx450-1650 ti) and the lack of DLSS is making me leery.
Rumor is there will be an RTX 3050 this time.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a bit of guidance if anyone can assist.

In my younger, more carefree days, I was always one who said that desktops are the way to go if you're getting a PC, especially if you want to do any sort of gaming. My life is very different to how it was the last time I build a PC, however, and I have much less free time/money/space. Myself and my wife have been musing over getting a new laptop as the chromebook is dead, and hers from 2014 keeps restarting every 10 mins for some weird reason, and I'm thinking that I might look at a low/mid range gaming laptop, since even once it stops being good for the latest games, it would still be powerful enough to be a good (i.e. not frustratingly slow) work machine for a long-ass time as long as it's looked after properly.

I'm looking at something along these lines;

Novatech gaming laptops

1080p gaming is perfectly fine, basically as long as I can get fairly recent PC games running at respectable framerates I'll be happy. The one with the GTX 1650ti is particularly appealing to me.

Basically, what I'm wondering is whether there's anything I should look out for? Is my logic flawed at all?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I have a friend who lives in the US and wants to buy a new laptop for 1.000,00
he already have a
Dell G3 3779
Core i7
Gtx 1660 Q max
32 ram
and 2 SDD's (128 and 500gb)
he paid 600 last black Friday
what would be the "next" step? Rtx 2070? I don't know if the 3000's series is coming this year :S

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
No prob. Sometimes you need knowledge.

The GTX 1650 is faster than a GTX 1060, so you are getting a huge boost over the 1050.

The TUF does have the really poor screen (45% NTSC coverage) with washed out colors. I'd call that the fall back option as the specs are perfect otherwise.

The G15 is itself a good machine but the i7-10750H is a mediocre CPU. The i7-10875H is really the CPU to aim for in my opinion, IF the budget allows.

The Lenovo Legion gets the same treatment as the G15.

The Aftershock Vapor has super good specs for the price, which is why I wouldn't accept less than the 10875H from these other similarly priced machines based around Intel CPUs.

Metabox Prime A1 has crazy powerful desktop Ryzens to pair with just an RTX 2060. Seems unbalanced and too expensive.

Metabox Prime-S is well specced.

HP Omen is way too expensive.

I really appreciate the breakdown! I've been out out the portable space for a while so, it's helped a lot :D

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hoping for a bit of guidance if anyone can assist.

In my younger, more carefree days, I was always one who said that desktops are the way to go if you're getting a PC, especially if you want to do any sort of gaming. My life is very different to how it was the last time I build a PC, however, and I have much less free time/money/space. Myself and my wife have been musing over getting a new laptop as the chromebook is dead, and hers from 2014 keeps restarting every 10 mins for some weird reason, and I'm thinking that I might look at a low/mid range gaming laptop, since even once it stops being good for the latest games, it would still be powerful enough to be a good (i.e. not frustratingly slow) work machine for a long-ass time as long as it's looked after properly.

I'm looking at something along these lines;

Novatech gaming laptops

1080p gaming is perfectly fine, basically as long as I can get fairly recent PC games running at respectable framerates I'll be happy. The one with the GTX 1650ti is particularly appealing to me.

Basically, what I'm wondering is whether there's anything I should look out for? Is my logic flawed at all?
Budget? That's an important piece of giving advice.

I have a friend who lives in the US and wants to buy a new laptop for 1.000,00
he already have a
Dell G3 3779
Core i7
Gtx 1660 Q max
32 ram
and 2 SDD's (128 and 500gb)
he paid 600 last black Friday
what would be the "next" step? Rtx 2070? I don't know if the 3000's series is coming this year :S

RTX 30 is coming in Q1 of next year. He should sit on the 1660 Ti until then to be honest. Why does he want to upgrade?

A budget of $1k isn't going to get a much faster GPU at all. RTX 2070s won't be going for a grand on Black Friday. Maybe RTX 2060, but is that even worth it? Access to DLSS would be great, sure, but I'd put that money toward an RTX 3060 laptop in the new year.

RTX 3060 will be pushing RTX 2070 Super, maybe even RTX 2080 performance levels.

I really appreciate the breakdown! I've been out out the portable space for a while so, it's helped a lot :D
The prices being what they are, and the new consoles having the 8-core Ryzen CPUs they do, is why I am saying Ryzen 7 4800H or i7-10875H is the CPU target. You want to be on equal footing to ensure longevity.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
So is this BF deal really good? I have always been a console gamer, own all three current gen, (And still getting PS5 at launch) but keep getting the itch to start PC gaming. 1080P for medium/high settings would be fine. In the last week I have been playing PS1 games and original Xbox games so graphics are not #1 concern.

slickdeals.net

$449 11/4 and 11/7 walmart black friday HP Pavilion i5 GTX 1650 Gaming Laptop

This deal will be available on 11/4 and 11/7 online at walmart for their earliest black friday event. Please note: this is 1080p and has a usb c port HP Pavilion i5 GTX 1650 Gaming Laptop Op ...

$450 +$40ish for second 8GB ram
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home
  • Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
  • Display: 15.6-inch diagonal FHD, IPS, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB) (Would add second 8GB stick to make this 16GB)
  • Internal storage: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD (Have external 2+5 TB 3.0 USb)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • Wireless: Realtek 802.11b/g/n/ac(2x2) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

Trying to build a comparible desktop PC is $150+ or more and being able to play in any room sounds kinda nice.

Edit: Mostly use for RPGs (Baldurs Gate 3 once thats out of EA), Racing games since I have a wheel for PS4/PC, indies and maybe Flight Simulator (That one might be a bit of a stretch as I know its intensive)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So is this BF deal really good? I have always been a console gamer, own all three current gen, (And still getting PS5 at launch) but keep getting the itch to start PC gaming. 1080P for medium/high settings would be fine. In the last week I have been playing PS1 games and original Xbox games so graphics are not #1 concern.

$450 +$40ish for second 8GB ram
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home
  • Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
  • Display: 15.6-inch diagonal FHD, IPS, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB) (Would add second 8GB stick to make this 16GB)
  • Internal storage: 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD (Have external 2+5 TB 3.0 USb)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • Wireless: Realtek 802.11b/g/n/ac(2x2) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

Trying to build a comparible desktop PC is $150+ or more and being able to play in any room sounds kinda nice.

Edit: Mostly use for RPGs (Baldurs Gate 3 once thats out of EA), Racing games since I have a wheel for PS4/PC, indies and maybe Flight Simulator (That one might be a bit of a stretch as I know its intensive)
Less than $500 for a dedicated GPU will always be a decent deal, as long as your expectations on longevity are in check.

If your main gaming platform will be PS5 you should be fine.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Less than $500 for a dedicated GPU will always be a decent deal, as long as your expectations on longevity are in check.

If your main gaming platform will be PS5 you should be fine.

Perfect, thank you!

What's the average lifespan for a gaming laptop? 4-5 years with lather half low-medium ?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Perfect, thank you!

What's the average lifespan for a gaming laptop? 4-5 years with lather half low-medium ?
For a powerful laptop sure. The i5-9300H + GTX 1650 is lower mid-range by current-gen standard. By next-gen standards its below minimum system requirements for next-gen exclusives, barring indie games.

This ~2 year cross-gen period shouldn't be an issue but after that it's going to be a rough road for these components..

For example, the GTX 1650 is the minimum GPU in the non-ray tracing requirements for Watch Dogs: Legion.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
We got a new laptop for a relative of mine that uses radeon 8 vega graphics and has an amd cpu

I have adrenaline installed and it is confusing me by showing 'not found' for opengl and directx

Edit- to be more precise, it is a ryzen 5-3500U cpu processor that uses radeon vega 8 graphics

If the info in adrenalin is just an error of the program itself it would put me at ease xp

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
We got a new laptop for a relative of mine that uses radeon 8 vega graphics and has an amd cpu

I have adrenaline installed and it is confusing me by showing 'not found' for opengl and directx

Edit- to be more precise, it is a ryzen 5-3500U cpu processor that uses radeon vega 8 graphics

If the info in adrenalin is just an error of the program itself it would put me at ease xp
There's a separate driver package for the mobile APUs, did you accidentally select the dedicated GPU drivers?

Last edited:

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm just gonna jump in this thread and ask how good this laptop is and if anyone could take a guess at how many years I'd get out of it if I were to get it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Compute...rds=gaming+laptop&qid=1604266228&sr=8-16&th=1

I honestly don't know the slightest thing about what sort of hardware games these days use since I've never been a PC gamer at all, so I don't know if this would be outdated in a few years or what (hopefully not at that price though). If I were to get it though it probably wouldn't be until next spring or so, maybe later.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm just gonna jump in this thread and ask how good this laptop is and if anyone could take a guess at how many years I'd get out of it if I were to get it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Computer-5-3550H-Keyboard-Graphics/dp/B08DC8X5KN/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=gaming+laptop&qid=1604266228&sr=8-16&th=1

I honestly don't know the slightest thing about what sort of hardware games these days use since I've never been a PC gamer at all, so I don't know if this would be outdated in a few years or what (hopefully not at that price though). If I were to get it though it probably wouldn't be until next spring or so, maybe later.
If you are going to wait until next spring, ask then and give a budget.

Otherwise for that money, just get this

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Computer-5-3550H-Keyboard-Graphics/dp/B08DC8X5KN/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=gaming+laptop&qid=1604266228&sr=8-16&th=1

$1300 for only a 1650? Look a few posts up and that laptop at Walmart has that same card and only $450.
EDIT: also what the person above me said.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
$1300 for only a 1650? Look a few posts up and that laptop at Walmart has that same card and only $450.
EDIT: also what the person above me said.

Alright, thanks the for the link. Budget isn't that much of an issue, I was mainly going to wait because I'm already buying a bunch of other shit that'll probably keep me preoccupied for quite a while.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

That laptop will be a joke next Spring, probably won't even be available. We'll have mobile Ampere machines on the market by that time.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a budget of 700-800 USD for a gaming laptop. Anything that stands out? I don't mind flexing that budget +100 dollars but would need to be worth it.

Friend is looking for something to do some light gaming and video editing. Concerns for thermal management are a priority. Doesn't want the fans blaring with word processor or browsing. He doesn't have much of a preference for Intel/AMD/NVIDIA - so whatever combo configuration will work. Just want something that will last for a while and is reliable.

Any stand out obvious recommendations?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So I have a budget of 700-800 USD for a gaming laptop. Anything that stands out? I don't mind flexing that budget +100 dollars but would need to be worth it.

Friend is looking for something to do some light gaming and video editing. Concerns for thermal management are a priority. Doesn't want the fans blaring with word processor or browsing. He doesn't have much of a preference for Intel/AMD/NVIDIA - so whatever combo configuration will work. Just want something that will last for a while and is reliable.

Any stand out obvious recommendations?
I'd wait until the full scope of Black Friday deals are in view. I'll keep an eye out.

Yeah I had pretty much decided to buy it, but as it turns out it was out of stock by the time I made the post. Hopefully it or a similar model returns soon
Honestly the one that's in stock with dual channel 16GB RAM is the one I was talking about. It's the better buy for not much more as you'd need to add RAM to the other model to get full performance out of it anyway.

Dual channel is a big deal especially with Ryzen CPUs.