• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. But I can only find this one laptop that is $2700 with a GTX 2060. I really don't understand why none of them comes with a sim card port and then one could have a 4G sub with unlimited data.
Because no one wants to pay Qualcomm a fee and put a modem in it for something that no-one will use.

The end.

If you want a laptop with a SIM card, look at business laptops.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Because no one wants to pay Qualcomm a fee and put a modem in it for something that no-one will use.

The end.

If you want a laptop with a SIM card, look at business laptops.
I did today but found out they take a hit on GPU. I'm gonna look at the gaming laptops and just play on WiFi. :)

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
How do you activate g sync on omen laptops exactly, I've read something about hybrid/ discrete in the command center but I can't see it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
How much better is ryzen 7 over Intel?

Been looking at getting something like tge Legion 5 and Omen 15.

Seems like all the ryzen 7 versions haven't made it to the UK yet due to shortages.

Is it worth holding out for the amd versions

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like all the ryzen 7 versions haven't made it to the UK yet due to shortages.

The chip specifically? It's basically a different league. It's the impossible trifecta: Faster, Cooler, Cheaper. And better battery life to boot.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I'm thinking I might sell my gaming PC and move towards having a laptop instead.

The main reasoning behind it is that, for the time being at least, a Series X will do just fine for most games (I'm fine with 30fps and controllers) and I don't really want to have the FOMO and stress that comes from having a high-end PC. However I don't really want to give up VR and some PC exclusives (I don't really care about high-end stuff like Flight Simulator, at least not enough to affect my purchasing decision) so something mid-range that could run those sorts of games well with relatively little fuss would be great.

Forgive me for a cliche'd question but would around Spring of next year be a good time to buy? By then I'll have been able to sell my current PC and saved up some more to get a budget of around £1,000 or so. If I could get a 3060 equivalent (assuming that's out by then) for that price it would be great, but I realise that laptops might not change that fast.

I still might not get one, I don't know. I'm just evaluating all my options right now.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hi!

I know it isn't really a gaming laptop, but my girlfriend wants to play The Walking Dead Definitive Series that's on the Epic Store, but she has a Rzen 3 3200u with 4gb of ram. It should run looking at the minimum specs required, but does anyone have experience with this cpu/iGPU for smaller titles like this? The ram is pretty low anyway

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So I'm thinking I might sell my gaming PC and move towards having a laptop instead.

The main reasoning behind it is that, for the time being at least, a Series X will do just fine for most games (I'm fine with 30fps and controllers) and I don't really want to have the FOMO and stress that comes from having a high-end PC. However I don't really want to give up VR and some PC exclusives (I don't really care about high-end stuff like Flight Simulator, at least not enough to affect my purchasing decision) so something mid-range that could run those sorts of games well with relatively little fuss would be great.

Forgive me for a cliche'd question but would around Spring of next year be a good time to buy? By then I'll have been able to sell my current PC and saved up some more to get a budget of around £1,000 or so. If I could get a 3060 equivalent (assuming that's out by then) for that price it would be great, but I realise that laptops might not change that fast.

I still might not get one, I don't know. I'm just evaluating all my options right now.
Funny, I'm trying to sell my laptop and get a gaming PC instead. Do you happen to live in Spain?

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I just bought an aorus gigabyte 17g laptop a couple of weks ago and absolutely love it. After 10 years of strictly console gaming it's a breath of fresh air.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hi!

I know it isn't really a gaming laptop, but my girlfriend wants to play The Walking Dead Definitive Series that's on the Epic Store, but she has a Rzen 3 3200u with 4gb of ram. It should run looking at the minimum specs required, but does anyone have experience with this cpu/iGPU for smaller titles like this? The ram is pretty low anyway
From my experience, Telltale's game run better on PC than PS3 and at times PS4. I can't say for certain if the games would run properly with that kind of CPU but at a quick glance...I think she should be able to run it, but try to test going up with the settings;
start at Low, and if performance seems good, move up to Medium and then the highest settings.
The instant you see that the performance is impacted, drop it a level down.
Walking Dead 4's recommended specs on Steam
store.steampowered.com

The Walking Dead: The Final Season on Steam

A secluded school might finally be Clementine’s chance for a home, but protecting it will mean sacrifice.

Aren't too high so her device should be able to run it fine at least on low.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
From my experience, Telltale's game run better on PC than PS3 and at times PS4. I can't say for certain if the games would run properly with that kind of CPU but at a quick glance...I think she should be able to run it, but try to test going up with the settings;
start at Low, and if performance seems good, move up to Medium and then the highest settings.
The instant you see that the performance is impacted, drop it a level down.
Walking Dead 4's recommended specs on Steam
store.steampowered.com

The Walking Dead: The Final Season on Steam

A secluded school might finally be Clementine’s chance for a home, but protecting it will mean sacrifice.

Aren't too high so her device should be able to run it fine at least on low.

That was my guess. Yeah it'll probably be a safe buy, thanks!

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

AMD's Ryzen 5 4600H can reach as low as the i5 price bracket (at least in America with the nitro 5) while matching or outperforming intel's i7 offerings and their Ryzen 7 4800H is in the lower i7 tier price bracket while roughly matching intel's i9 in almost everything except single core applications/gaming. AMD essentially brought $2500 CPU performance to the masses with their 4800H laptops. To get this sort of performance you'll have choose from the best designed laptops. The Omens, Legions, Eluktronics/XMG/Schenker designed laptops really bring out the best in Intel/AMD CPUs. Too bad corona has impacted release schedules so much. I wound up holding off on a purchase since everything has been so slow to release. Hopefully next year's releases come faster.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I have an extra hdd and ssd bay on my Acer Nitro5 laptop. I plan to add a 1TB ssd I'm the empty slot as that should be more than enough for now.

The extra bay says it's an M.2 Nvme2 pcie SSD slot. I seem to be having trouble finding the size though. Are the SSD's slots vastly different in laptops and should I be worried on buying something that doesn't fit? Various SSD's do have some difference in dimensions even if labeled laptop.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have an extra hdd and ssd bay on my Acer Nitro5 laptop. I plan to add a 1TB ssd I'm the empty slot as that should be more than enough for now.

The extra bay says it's an M.2 Nvme2 pcie SSD slot. I seem to be having trouble finding the size though. Are the SSD's slots vastly different in laptops and should I be worried on buying something that doesn't fit? Various SSD's do have some difference in dimensions even if labeled laptop.
Should be 2280

ScottNak

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys... my laptop has given out and the battery isn't holding a charge anymore... was quickly looking at the last few pages for suggestions... Definitely this one that K.Jack posted looks like an interesting pick...

I am used to a 17" laptop though, do you guys have any suggestions on things to compare with?
Some occasional gaming sessions with Civ / HOTS and whatever the hot thing my friends what to pull me in with... but anything around the 2k price point is something i'm looking for.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
So, to give some background, for the past half a decade I've been someone who plays games on console and a gaming laptop. Half a decade ago I was a college student, and this was the only option I had for PC gaming since I couldn't lug a tower PC back and forth from my college apartment. Now I'm no longer a college student, but I've really grown a liking to having a semi-portable PC gaming experience that I can bring with me on business and family trips. Additionally, I love the freedom of being able to browse the internet in bed or on the couch while something is playing on the TV/monitor; using a phone just doesn't compare. For this reason, I feel like I *have* to have some kind of a laptop.

I was, and still do, plan to build a gaming desktop soon. I want one with a GTX 3080 in it. I have a Zotac on "order" from Germany, but it's supposed to come this week and hasn't shipped yet.

Last night, my laptop's outer shell basically just suddenly popped out and then one of the wires in it broke. I contacted a local computer repair company and they said it would cost at least $350 to fix. Additionally, it would take nearly a month to order the parts, have them come, and then fix it.

The way I see things, I basically have four options if I want to keep using a laptop:

-Get my current laptop repaired. This is most likely the cheapest option, but I'd still be spending $350 to repair a five-year-old laptop that wasn't in the best condition anyways. For reference it's an MSI GE62 2QD with a GTX 960.

-Buy a new gaming laptop, but not a super high end one. Something in the $600-800 range. This would actually still be a decent upgrade over my current laptop, looking at the specs. Open to suggestions but looking at this currently:

Robot or human?

-Buy a more high-end gaming laptop. Something closer to $1000-1600+. If I were to do this, I probably wouldn't be able to justify building a desktop to myself anytime in the near future, but on the flip side I'd probably just be able to play everything on this. Open to suggestions, looking at this:

-Forgo a gaming laptop entirely, and buy a chromebook, tablet PC, or just a low-end everyday use laptop. Defer to my desktop when I want to play games unless they're really easy to run.

I'm leaning towards the 600-800$ gaming laptop option, unless the Zotac actually comes through, in which case I'd do the repair because I can't justify spending money on building a PC and getting a 600-800$ laptop at the same time, and because if I don't build a gaming PC soon I'd probably be extremely frustrated at being out any kind of a PC for nearly a month. I'll probably build the PC in mid next year, when 3080s become available, if the Zotac doesn't come through.

Also, for reference I mostly play modern indie games and stuff on emulators currently with my gaming laptop, though occasionally other things. When I build a gaming PC I plan on playing harder to run stuff since I'm not getting an XSX/PS5. The hardest-to-run thing I'd like to be able to play before like mid 2021 is probably the PC version of Halo 4 though.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So, to give some background, for the past half a decade I've been someone who plays games on console and a gaming laptop. Half a decade ago I was a college student, and this was the only option I had for PC gaming since I couldn't lug a tower PC back and forth from my college apartment. Now I'm no longer a college student, but I've really grown a liking to having a semi-portable PC gaming experience that I can bring with me on business and family trips. Additionally, I love the freedom of being able to browse the internet in bed or on the couch while something is playing on the TV/monitor; using a phone just doesn't compare. For this reason, I feel like I *have* to have some kind of a laptop.

I was, and still do, plan to build a gaming desktop soon. I want one with a GTX 3080 in it. I have a Zotac on "order" from Germany, but it's supposed to come this week and hasn't shipped yet.

Last night, my laptop's outer shell basically just suddenly popped out and then one of the wires in it broke. I contacted a local computer repair company and they said it would cost at least $350 to fix. Additionally, it would take nearly a month to order the parts, have them come, and then fix it.

The way I see things, I basically have four options if I want to keep using a laptop:

-Get my current laptop repaired. This is most likely the cheapest option, but I'd still be spending $350 to repair a five-year-old laptop that wasn't in the best condition anyways. For reference it's an MSI GE62 2QD with a GTX 960.

-Buy a new gaming laptop, but not a super high end one. Something in the $600-800 range. This would actually still be a decent upgrade over my current laptop, looking at the specs. Open to suggestions but looking at this currently:

Robot or human?

-Buy a more high-end gaming laptop. Something closer to $1000-1600+. If I were to do this, I probably wouldn't be able to justify building a desktop to myself anytime in the near future, but on the flip side I'd probably just be able to play everything on this. Open to suggestions, looking at this:

-Forgo a gaming laptop entirely, and buy a chromebook, tablet PC, or just a low-end everyday use laptop. Defer to my desktop when I want to play games unless they're really easy to run.

I'm leaning towards the 600-800$ gaming laptop option, unless the Zotac actually comes through, in which case I'd do the repair because I can't justify spending money on building a PC and getting a 600-800$ laptop at the same time, and because if I don't build a gaming PC soon I'd probably be extremely frustrated at being out any kind of a PC for nearly a month. I'll probably build the PC in mid next year, when 3080s become available, if the Zotac doesn't come through.

Also, for reference I mostly play modern indie games and stuff on emulators currently with my gaming laptop, though occasionally other things. When I build a gaming PC I plan on playing harder to run stuff since I'm not getting an XSX/PS5. The hardest-to-run thing I'd like to be able to play before like mid 2021 is probably the PC version of Halo 4 though.
Get a decent laptop with a 1660ti or something, then build a kick-ass desktop PC

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey guys... my laptop has given out and the battery isn't holding a charge anymore... was quickly looking at the last few pages for suggestions... Definitely this one that K.Jack posted looks like an interesting pick...

I am used to a 17" laptop though, do you guys have any suggestions on things to compare with?
Some occasional gaming sessions with Civ / HOTS and whatever the hot thing my friends what to pull me in with... but anything around the 2k price point is something i'm looking for.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
This Sager is the best equipped 17" laptop you can get under $2k.

Robot or human?

Well, I would not go with the option that causes you to skip the 3080 desktop because you bought a ridiculously weaker laptop. You'd come to regret that.

I'd go the cheaper laptop route, but maybe the upgraded 2020 edition of the Asus you linked. The extra cost is earning you a Ryzen R5 4600H, which at least guarantees the laptop isn't obsolete when the new generation starts.

Just got an ASUS ROG STRIX G15, how eady is it to add and another SSD into it??

Youtube answers everything:

chanman

Nov 9, 2017

Robot or human?

Get a decent laptop with a 1660ti or something, then build a kick-ass desktop PC

This was my thinking when I got this back in the beginning of August

GamerJM I would definitely recommend this even though the fan get a little loud at times.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
This Sager is the best equipped 17" laptop you can get under $2k.

Well, I would not go with the option that causes you to skip the 3080 desktop because you bought a ridiculously weaker laptop. You'd come to regret that.

I'd go the cheaper laptop route, but maybe the upgraded 2020 edition of the Asus you linked. The extra cost is earning you a Ryzen R5 4600H, which at least guarantees the laptop isn't obsolete when the new generation starts.

Youtube answers everything:

Thx, may have seen that one ages ago when I was looking at the laptop but completely forgot about it!!

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm about 30 days into owning an Asus G14. I'm not sure I'd consider it a "gaming laptop" but I'm really happy with it. Was able to snag a pretty damn good floor model deal from Best Buy for $1275, the R9 / GTX 2060 version. It's incredibly light, and I've gotten a bit over 8 hours so far on the battery which is quite simply insane.

Sep 7, 2018
My laptop died and I need a new one. My last one was shitty. I'm looking to spend about 650.

I have Life Is Strange on Steam and want to be able to play it.

I have no idea what to look for.

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
Would anyone mind telling me if this is a good deal? I know that all of these great new cards just came out and we have the next gen consoles right around the corner so I was wondering if now would be a bad time to pick something like this up.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...5-17imh05h-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

My kids have been asking for a while to get something that isn't a Mac in the house so they could play games on the computer and I actually need a windows laptop to run a program to modify something on my truck, so I was hoping this might be a win-win situation.

Or would I be better off waiting a little longer to jump in?

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn when do those Omen Ryzen laptops come out in EU?
These delays are just shameful. AMD and the OEMs really need to perform better next year with Ryzen 5000 laptops.
My laptop died and I need a new one. My last one was shitty. I'm looking to spend about 650.

I have Life Is Strange on Steam and want to be able to play it.

I have no idea what to look for.

The nitro 5 is probably what you're looking for. At that price bracket four cores and a mediocre 60Hz panel are almost a prerequisite. The weeks leading up to black friday may bring on opportunity to get something with a 120Hz panel for maybe fifty to a hundred dollars more, but this is one of the best budget laptops on the market right now. The extra two CPU cores and four threads in the 4600H will make it age VERY nicely compared to a quad core 9300H/10300H.
Would anyone mind telling me if this is a good deal? I know that all of these great new cards just came out and we have the next gen consoles right around the corner so I was wondering if now would be a bad time to pick something like this up.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...5-17imh05h-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

My kids have been asking for a while to get something that isn't a Mac in the house so they could play games on the computer and I actually need a windows laptop to run a program to modify something on my truck, so I was hoping this might be a win-win situation.

Or would I be better off waiting a little longer to jump in?
The weeks leading up to Black Friday (and the shopping holiday itself) could likely save you a few dollars, but that is a mighty fine laptop at a good price if you just can't wait.

Last edited:

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
The weeks leading up to Black Friday (and the shopping holiday itself) could likely save you a few dollars, but that is a mighty fine laptop at a good price if you just can't wait.

Thanks! I saw Lenovo is selling the same model with a Ryzen 7, the 2060 and two 1tb hard drives for a similar price on their website and now I'm leaning towards that one.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017

signal

Oct 28, 2017
For around the same price, new Dell G3 or Lenovo Legion 🤔 Both seem pretty similarly specced as well. Cheaper option is the AMD Legion but that is the 1650 instead of 1660 TI.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
The Acer Nitro 5 I bought for ~$750 back in January 2018 needs what the repair shop is quoting as $500 in repairs (I don't think i'm getting stiffed - it's separate repairs on the laptop hinge and display, the battery, and new thermal paste that I procrastinated dealing with individually). Assuming that's a fair quote, I can't see it as being worth it to keep the system.

That said, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth - the previous gaming laptop I owned (a Lenovo) lasted me five years without major repairs until the hard drive finally bit the dust. Is this an outlier experience or is would I have better luck with a different brand? I can afford $1000-1200 this time.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The Acer Nitro 5 I bought for ~$750 back in January 2018 needs what the repair shop is quoting as $500 in repairs (I don't think i'm getting stiffed - it's separate repairs on the laptop hinge and display, the battery, and new thermal paste that I procrastinated dealing with individually). Assuming that's a fair quote, I can't see it as being worth it to keep the system.

That said, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth - the previous gaming laptop I owned (a Lenovo) lasted me five years without major repairs until the hard drive finally bit the dust. Is this an outlier experience or is would I have better luck with a different brand? I can afford $1000-1200 this time.
You're better off getting a new laptop