• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Well I went through a second (and as far as I can tell, successful) attempt to install all the latest drivers and firmware in order to see if it enabled Freesync from the nVidia end of things in my G14 but I still can't get it to work. I very obviously have the toggle in the AMD app to turn it on, but it seems my AMD iGPU is the only thing that can actually communicate with the built in monitor when it comes to using Freesync. It's definitely not working in at least DMC5 and RE2 Remake — very clear screen tearing in both games. Vsync is off in both games, monitor refresh rate is set to 120Hz and framerate is granted Variable status. I've tried Vsync off or app controlled in the nVidia control panel, and I've used the nVidia control panel to impose 120fps cap (also the refresh rate cap) just so games aren't trying to render more frames than that.

I'm almost of mind to start completely over because at this point I'm wondering if >I've< done something wrong in the update process in the past, but like I said I've now done a second and apparently successful run through all of the available firmware and driver updates on the website.
Setting freesync on in the AMD app is all you should have to do as the nvidia card sends the buffer to the AMD powered display. Have you tried capping your framerate to 100fps?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Setting freesync on in the AMD app is all you should have to do as the nvidia card sends the buffer to the AMD powered display. Have you tried capping your framerate to 100fps?

Not yet but I can try that. I don't really need the full 120 for the types of games I play (mostly single player AAA) games. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll report back with results. If the result doesn't turn out good I might do a factory reset and try from scratch. I have plenty of time to return the laptop (43 days left) if the long run disappoints and I've got plenty of time on my hands to tinker!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think you would need a factory reset, but just try clean re-install of all drivers maybe?

yeah, that's what I had completed just before I posted.

Since my last post, a bit of progress!

I went ahead and installed Doom 2016 as well -- RE2 and DMC5 are the only two games I've installed (besides Streets of Rage 4, which is 2D and has no discernible issues thus far) -- and glad to say on my tests of Doom, it looks like things are going just fine. I also got MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner installed on the G14 for the first time -- I think the nVidia driver was capping things at 120fps just fine but just to be sure, I went ahead and turned off the nVidia's fps cap and did so in RivaTuner. RivaTuner had the same bad results, so I just turned off fps cap entirely and things seem better -- RE2 and DMC5 still seem to have some tearing issues but Doom 2016 does not, so I'm chalking it up as an REengine quirk for now, though after turning off the cap entirely, things did seem better in RE2 specifically (still some tearing but not as visible).

Doom looks smooth. I am seeing some very occasional dips below 120 but it seems to be holding 120 very steadfast, and dips aren't showing any sort of tearing or hiccup in frame delivery that I can make out. I might buy Doom Eternal later on and try that, since it's a bit more demanding and likely won't be at a rock solid 120fps. For the most part, RE2 and DMC5 at the settings I'm playing them at also are mostly solid 120fps with more notable dips here and there too, and I'm seeing some tearing when 120fps is being reported so that's why I've been concerned.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you need to cap at a lower fps to keep Freesync enabled? That's how G-sync works.

Cap the fps to say, 115.

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
As I procrasinated too long, the G5 AMD is going to take a month to deliver! I think i'll hold off for not and see if any better deals come along in the meantime. I've had it my basket for a couple of days now!

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Might be worth it to wait. Eventually HP will drop their Omen 15, the XMG Core 15 will get closer to release and if we're lucky Acer will give us a decent AMD option. Then we'll all have more options to choose from.
Thank you for the advice. Could or should I be looking elsewhere for better value in your opinion?

I don't have to choose between these 2, but I have decided that I could raise my budget to around the £1k mark which may give me better options than my original budget of up to £650. I'm just not sure what offers the best value/performance in that range.
The 4600H/5600M 144Hz model is an option if you want to save money, not lose gaming performance and still get a 100%+ sRGB/high refresh screen. People looking at the 4800H CPU model likely want that extra multicore power, but it's not exactly necessary, especially considering the 4600H is the most powerful 6 core laptop CPU on the market.
Don't you need to cap at a lower fps to keep Freesync enabled? That's how G-sync works.

Cap the fps to say, 115.
When I use rivatuner on my desktop I always cap my game framerate at 141 fps to keep G-sync enabled. To stop tearing it's generally recommended to stay at least 3 FPS away from what ever your max refresh rate is supposed to be iirc.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Cap the fps to say, 115.
That's what I suggested a few posts up too.

My apologies for not responding nor following this advice sooner, but I did go ahead and cap to 110fps in Rivatuner and yep, can confirm -- issue appears resolved. Getting nice, smooth image delivery now, giving me the impression that FreeSync is working as intended! Thanks for the advice! Absolutely thrilled about it. :D

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
My apologies for not responding nor following this advice sooner, but I did go ahead and cap to 110fps in Rivatuner and yep, can confirm -- issue appears resolved. Getting nice, smooth image delivery now, giving me the impression that FreeSync is working as intended! Thanks for the advice! Absolutely thrilled about it. :D

Enjoy, once you notice how great it is going back to no-VRR on PC is impossible! :P

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
www.notebookcheck.net

Eluktronics RP-15 Laptop Review: The Ryzen 7 4800H Impresses Yet Again

AMD's latest Renoir series is popping up on more and more gaming laptops and for good reason. If you can deal with the loud fan noise, then you won't be disappointed by the CPU performance of the surprisingly small Eluktronics RP-15.
The first written review of the RP-15 that I know of. The battery has been upgrade from 46Whr to 62Whr due to consumer feedback (props to Bob of all trades and eluktronics), but everything else is the same. The screen isn't quite as fast as I'd like, but it does have good color gamut and the package as a whole for $1200 is honestly the one of the best values of the year for a gaming laptop IMO. The RP-15 4800H goes ultra instinct and even outspeeds the 9900KS and 10875H laptops (along with the TUF A15 and G14 4900HS) notebookcheck has on record. It's scary to imagine what they could do with a 4900H. I can legit hear demon's souls boss music in the distance.
www.notebookcheck.net

Every AMD Ryzen 7 4800H laptop we've tested thus far have been outperforming the Intel Core i7-10875H and Core i9-10980HK, but there's a catch

Every AMD Ryzen 7 4800H laptop we've tested thus far have been outperforming the Intel Core i7-10875H and Core i9-10980HK, but there's a catch

Last edited:

soul

Oct 27, 2017
After running with the same laptop for the past 4y or so, I went ahead and bought Lenovo Legion Y740-15IRHg that comes equipped with the RTX 2060. I thought about buying the more expensive version that comes equipped with RTX 2070, but passed since I believe it's not worth the price difference between the 2 models.

So far, so good. The performance is great. I booted off FFXIII (waited a long time to properly play it) and it looked like the GPU didn't even had to work at all (<1GB out of 6 utilized). After a few days of normal day2day activityI can definitely recommend this model to anyone, although, I still didn't test it with more demanding games.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The G14 is proving to be very satisfying to use the more and more I use it. Between my previous MSI GS65 (2017 model) and Razer Blade 15 (mid-2019 -- RTX 2070 and 240Hz refresh screen), I ran into a lot of compromises and issues that ultimately made both of them kind of questionable to me. With the MSI GS65, the fan noise made an annoying high pitched noise, the screen was dim and only 60Hz (even though many competitors at similar pricepoints at the time had Gsync monitors) and the speakers were bad that they simply couldn't contend with the fan noise. The Razer was extremely good for the most part but I wasn't a fan of the way the keyboard felt and lack of VRR was kind of annoying since I could constantly see screen tearing -- to its credit, screen tearing at 240Hz is less perceptible than it is at 60Hz (at least to my eye) as there's kind of a "brute force" effect where it is more mitigated, but I could still spot it in some games. Also, the Razer was expensive -- it was an absolutely killer machine but the price didn't feel quite justified, so I took it back.

The G14, on the other hand -- great feeling keyboard (very poor backlighting though, but a very minor issue to me on a laptop); great monitor with good brightness, color gamut, and FreeSync (I have noted that other reviews report a poor response time that results in ghosting but that hasn't felt like a thing to me -- I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I am just not perceiving it to any great degree); and the speakers are good enough to actually contend with the inevitable fan noise and while those fans are indeed quite loud, I find that they don't make any sort of high pitched noise that grates me, they just sound like really solid "blowers," and I hope this doesn't change with time because it's the most tolerable fan noise pitch (or lack of a pitch) I've ever experienced from a gaming device. The fans go hard but they don't sound like jet engines. Performance is also great at this price point -- the AMD CPU is absolutely KILLER performance, and the 2060 Max-Q drives the 1080p experience really solid.

As far as criticism goes, I can only think that the keyboard backlighting sucks (very minor issue); the fingerprint reader doesn't do its fingerprint cache party trick on bootup more often than not (and then it works perfectly fine once it reaches the Windows login screen, I find); and the keyboard lacks a numpad, which makes sense given the 14" form factor, but it is causing me to have to rethink my usual MMORPG (Final Fantasy XIV) keybindings as I used to rely on it a lot for MMOs -- no other genre is yet affected by its absence, though.

Having a great screen with variable refresh rate (FreeSync), good speakers that do a decent job working within the loud fan noise environment that comes with every thin-and-light gaming laptop, what I think is a really good-feeling keyboard for gaming, and of course some really good performance, all for just 1450 (I actually only paid $1300 because of my annual birthday coupon from Best Buy membership!), and I'm feeling really satisfied. It's the least I've paid for a gaming laptop thus far and overall the best experience in using one. I find it astonishing that as a product that's the first of its kind in a few ways (particularly in that it features the new mobile AMD CPU), it's THIS good and sells for this good of a relative bargain, even before my birthday discount kicked in.

It is worth noting that I am treating this as a dedicated gaming device and will not be using it as a main computer. Other reviewers have noted with high praise that it can get very good battery life off of the charger, but I have another computer I use as my "main" computing device for all other tasks, so I can't remark on that, but that's something else to consider for prospective buyers -- apparently this laptop can last a good long while on its battery when you're just doing basic everyday computing. I am literally treating this like it is exclusively a portable gaming device (ala a Switch, albeit not quite as portable), so battery life doesn't apply to me personally.

Apr 27, 2020
^^^^Glad you're enjoying it, I am as well after getting use to microsoft laptops again lol. I agree with you on the backlighting, my vision isn't the best so the first couple days I missed some keys while typing but now i'm fine because of the muscle memory.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The G14 is proving to be very satisfying to use the more and more I use it. Between my previous MSI GS65 (2017 model) and Razer Blade 15 (mid-2019 -- RTX 2070 and 240Hz refresh screen), I ran into a lot of compromises and issues that ultimately made both of them kind of questionable to me. With the MSI GS65, the fan noise made an annoying high pitched noise, the screen was dim and only 60Hz (even though many competitors at similar pricepoints at the time had Gsync monitors) and the speakers were bad that they simply couldn't contend with the fan noise. The Razer was extremely good for the most part but I wasn't a fan of the way the keyboard felt and lack of VRR was kind of annoying since I could constantly see screen tearing -- to its credit, screen tearing at 240Hz is less perceptible than it is at 60Hz (at least to my eye) as there's kind of a "brute force" effect where it is more mitigated, but I could still spot it in some games. Also, the Razer was expensive -- it was an absolutely killer machine but the price didn't feel quite justified, so I took it back.

The G14, on the other hand -- great feeling keyboard (very poor backlighting though, but a very minor issue to me on a laptop); great monitor with good brightness, color gamut, and FreeSync (I have noted that other reviews report a poor response time that results in ghosting but that hasn't felt like a thing to me -- I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I am just not perceiving it to any great degree); and the speakers are good enough to actually contend with the inevitable fan noise and while those fans are indeed quite loud, I find that they don't make any sort of high pitched noise that grates me, they just sound like really solid "blowers," and I hope this doesn't change with time because it's the most tolerable fan noise pitch (or lack of a pitch) I've ever experienced from a gaming device. The fans go hard but they don't sound like jet engines. Performance is also great at this price point -- the AMD CPU is absolutely KILLER performance, and the 2060 Max-Q drives the 1080p experience really solid.

As far as criticism goes, I can only think that the keyboard backlighting sucks (very minor issue); the fingerprint reader doesn't do its fingerprint cache party trick on bootup more often than not (and then it works perfectly fine once it reaches the Windows login screen, I find); and the keyboard lacks a numpad, which makes sense given the 14" form factor, but it is causing me to have to rethink my usual MMORPG (Final Fantasy XIV) keybindings as I used to rely on it a lot for MMOs -- no other genre is yet affected by its absence, though.

Having a great screen with variable refresh rate (FreeSync), good speakers that do a decent job working within the loud fan noise environment that comes with every thin-and-light gaming laptop, what I think is a really good-feeling keyboard for gaming, and of course some really good performance, all for just 1450 (I actually only paid $1300 because of my annual birthday coupon from Best Buy membership!), and I'm feeling really satisfied. It's the least I've paid for a gaming laptop thus far and overall the best experience in using one. I find it astonishing that as a product that's the first of its kind in a few ways (particularly in that it features the new mobile AMD CPU), it's THIS good and sells for this good of a relative bargain, even before my birthday discount kicked in.

It is worth noting that I am treating this as a dedicated gaming device and will not be using it as a main computer. Other reviewers have noted with high praise that it can get very good battery life off of the charger, but I have another computer I use as my "main" computing device for all other tasks, so I can't remark on that, but that's something else to consider for prospective buyers -- apparently this laptop can last a good long while on its battery when you're just doing basic everyday computing. I am literally treating this like it is exclusively a portable gaming device (ala a Switch, albeit not quite as portable), so battery life doesn't apply to me personally.
Thanks for the detailed impressions. Glad that it's working out for you.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
The G14 is proving to be very satisfying to use the more and more I use it. Between my previous MSI GS65 (2017 model) and Razer Blade 15 (mid-2019 -- RTX 2070 and 240Hz refresh screen), I ran into a lot of compromises and issues that ultimately made both of them kind of questionable to me.

do you mind going into detail on the issues you had with the razer?
I have the exact same one next to me with the 2070 - a client sent it to me temporarily for a very specific purpose. it's an impressive laptop but i'm unable to give it a workout, and my company is thinking of buying some.
If your issues were heat based, i've already noticed - anything which spins up the graphics card makes it very hot, very quickly. if you have any other insight it would be appreciated.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
do you mind going into detail on the issues you had with the razer?
I have the exact same one next to me with the 2070 - a client sent it to me temporarily for a very specific purpose. it's an impressive laptop but i'm unable to give it a workout, and my company is thinking of buying some.
If your issues were heat based, i've already noticed - anything which spins up the graphics card makes it very hot, very quickly. if you have any other insight it would be appreciated.

Fan noise was present with the Razer in my use, but it wasn't anywhere near as annoying as my older-model MSI. Like the G14, the Razer had good enough speakers to contend with the fan noise.

Generally, I did not actually hate the laptop at all. It may have been the neatest piece of hardware I've ever used, in fact -- it was incredibly sturdy and nearly everything about it was quality.

The biggest problem for me ended up being the price, which was $2700 at the time I had it. It was a quality experience but it didn't feel like it quite lived up to the price tag, IMO. It's the most premium laptop I've ever had experience with -- I never had a MacBook or anything else that is famous for its build quality and engineering like the Razer.

BUT, the few details I did actually take issue with when it came to using it was the way the keys on the keyboard felt -- they felt shallow and non-tactile to me, kind of like they favored efficiency of keystroke over any level of satisfaction. And I absolutely understand the merit in that feeling from a general usage standpoint, but as a gaming device it didn't feel very pleasing. It was a minor thing.

I also went into the Razer with it being my first-ever high refresh rate monitor. I'd never played on anything higher than 60Hz. 240Hz from a pure feel standpoint is absolutely incredible and I did feel the difference over 60Hz for sure, but I had also gone years hearing about variable refresh rate and its ability to address screen tearing in particular. I knew the Razer wouldn't have it, but I decided to give it a try anyway to see how 240Hz felt even without VRR. Turns out, I could still perceive quite a lot of screen tearing (though it did appear way more mitigated than screen tearing at 60Hz), and the mobile CPU and GPU obviously couldn't quite push framerates in a lot of AAA games to satisfying, stable framerates beyond 60Hz that I could reliably lock them to, to ensure both a solid framerate and lack of screen tearing. This was a conundrum I felt like was a huge killer of the experience for me when it lacked VRR: it was either go for unlocked framerate with no vsync to get the best possible experience, or just lock the entire thing to a steady 60Hz (1/4 of its capability), which just didn't feel right considering the money I'd thrown in and how much that seemingly bottlenecked its potential. I will merit the 240Hz panel with this, though: I could absolutely feel the reduction in input lag from disabling vsync AND from the image refreshing at such a high rate. It felt SNAPPY and I've not felt a device quite that immediate since.

The 240Hz, no-Vsync with visible screen tearing was kind of the killer of the entire $2700 value proposition for me. I'm not an eSports competitive gamer, I'm more of a AAA single player gamer, so it felt like I had paid in for a premium that I wasn't using at all. The G14 is like half the price, and much more modest in terms of capability, but it does to my taste have a better keyboard than the Razer, and the FreeSync support on the monitor (up to 120Hz, not the fancy 240Hz of the Razer) makes the more modest GPU completely workable since I don't have to mind screen tearing caused by the fluctuations in framerate anymore, so it doesn't make the 2060 vs the Razer's 2070 feel like a massive difference from my use-case scenario. I can just let framerates fluctuate freely between 48fps and 120fps and it will be smooth image delivery... The Razer was a 2700 dollar laptop that I wasn't using to play Counter-Strike, and my only option to get stable image delivery (i.e. no screen tearing) was to cap it to 60Hz.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm getting a Surface Book 3 15" i7 with 32GB and 1660ti.
Any tips on getting good gaming performance out of a machine like this?

I'm getting a fast external T5 SSD to install games, and I'll mostly be playing on an external monitor or TV.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I'm getting a fast external T5 SSD to install games, and I'll mostly be playing on an external monitor or TV.

When I tried to game on a Surface Book (gen1, much weaker discrete GPU in it than a 1660ti but can't remember which) a few years ago, I found that it did hit very hard thermal limits despite the GPU being separated from the CPU. Maybe anticipate that, unless they've quietly addressed that since -- you might not be able to push the 1660ti as high as it should be able to go on paper. I used to mitigate this by setting games to 720p at the time, though I think maybe your spec should be able to push 900p to begin with and then expand out from there. Might want to lower more intensive graphics options in 3D rendered games a notch lower than you might expect, too... But 2D games should be just fine. I did find that I got a bit better thermals with a cooling pad tucked underneath my Surface, but it is such an enclosed chassis that lacks the intense heat pipe and fan setups of many gaming-dedicated laptops these days.

If you ever end up playing natively on the Surface Book itself, just be aware that resolution can be a tricky thing with the 4:3 aspect ratio. I ran into an issue where I couldn't set anything but 4:3 resolutions in Stardew Valley no matter what I tried back then, and it ended up going full native res 4:3 and it looked more like I was looking at a world map than playing the game as it was intended -- it was super weird and kinda neat but not ideal for actually playing. 3D games will be more workable immediately in this regard, I found, but 2D ones might get really weird like my Stardew Valley example. But if you're gonna be playing on external displays with more traditional 16:9 aspect ratios, you should be absolutely fine.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

Oh nice! I had a 1060 model and I miss it dearly (got it for work but they got replaced :( )
Throttle Stop to undervolt the CPU and tweak turbo and Afterburner to undervolt and adjust the GPU power curve is a must. It's quite easy to do but takes a bit of time to find the right settings - reddit has many threads on it if you search.

Also the most important thing for Surface devices is the power setting. They are connected to everything. Only plugged in, high performance setting will give you the best fps, but fan noise is also coupled. I always set my 1060 model to the mid setting as on max the fans got really annoying. Surface Books tend to throttle hard when the temp or power draw is too much, so tweak the settings as good as you can - personally I like to do those things and take my time as I want to get the best performance for the lowest amount of temperature and power draw. It's worth it. Prepare some profiles to lower CPU speed/turbo/draw as you not always need it while gaming.

If you don't need the keyboard and you play with a gamepad you might consider turning the screen around as it helps with fan noise :) Also those speakers blow every other gaming laptop speakers away, I am always astounded how good they are for two little slits near the screen.

You also want to look into custom resolution settings as the aspect ratio can be a problem with some games. I always stuck to the 1620x1080 setting as its half the native res and scales well.

Also important, get the Intel Graphics Command Center from the Windows store and turn off screen power savings as the auto brightness/color can be quite annoying, especially for artists.

If you have any questions just let me know :)
I was always surprised how good games ran on the thing considering it's not really designed for it. But as I said, tweakings must be done.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
J_ToSaveTheDay good tips, thanks! I am definitely prepared to temper my expectations because of the form factor limiting the potential. I hope keeping the resolution modest will suffice.

derFeef wow, thanks! Some very detailed tips. I had no idea I could add custom resolutioms like that and was always annoyed at the lack of half scale resolution on Surface Pro. Regarding profiles, do you mean the windows 10 power options? Can I toggle those easily? I've never used Throttlestop before but I'll try that and the Intel utility.

Most of the time I expect to use it with the screen reversed with an external screen and monitor/tv, so it's good to know that helps the fan noise.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I'd use ThrottleStop as the Intel tool is not always reliable. With profiles I meant all of them together, lol. It's a bit weird with windows power settings AND ThrottleStop AND Afterburner.

So in my example in ThrottleStop I have a plugged in and a battery profile (you can make it switch automatically in TS whether a cable is plugged in or not), and then kinda a mixed profile with lower clock speeds but higher turbo time, where I do not need much CPU power like in some games. You can also push for more power but that's up to you what you want to do. There are many youtube videos and reddit posts out there that go deeper into details. :)

Same with Afterburner. You can probably undervolt that 1660TI very well - you basically make it cap speed at a certain voltage level, which makes it more stable and cool. It's main goal is probably to achieve higher clocks at lower voltage, but I personally prefer to go a bit lower and then even less voltage as it helps in a laptop with this form factor.

Windows power settings you can easily switch with the battery tray icon, or make custom shortcuts but it's not really needed imo.
Keep in mind that the windows power settings CAN influence the TS and Afterburner settings. The system will always choose the "lower" setting whether it comes from software or Windows, if that makes sense.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
www.notebookcheck.net

2020 HP Omen 15 is the biggest refresh yet, promises IR thermopile sensors and both 10th gen Intel and 7 nm AMD Renoir options

HP says the new sensors are a first for any gaming laptop for more accurate skin temperature readings, steadier fan noise, and improved performance overall.

Users will be able to configure up to the Core i7-10750H or Ryzen 7 4800H with the RTX 2070 Max-Q GPU which will be more than enough to play the latest titles on very high settings.

Hopefully more OEM's will follow.

Jun 17, 2018
Hey all, new gaming laptop owner here.

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX 3 with an i7 9750h, 16GB RAM and a 2070. Is there anyway to limit fan noise when playing more demanding games?

I've tried to set it to silent mode but even with all settings turned down, games run terribly. I understand the need to cool the system but is there a way to achieve a good balance between FPS and noise? Performance mode can be really loud at times.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX 3 with an i7 9750h, 16GB RAM and a 2070. Is there anyway to limit fan noise when playing more demanding games?

I've tried to set it to silent mode but even with all settings turned down, games run terribly. I understand the need to cool the system but is there a way to achieve a good balance between FPS and noise? Performance mode can be really loud at times.

I have the Asus Hero 3 (pretty much similar to the STRIX SCAR 3) and I know what you mean regarding fan noise.
The way I've set my laptop up right now is to just set the laptop in Windows mode via Armoury crate, such that it doesn't interfere with my undervolt via Intel XTU (CPU) and the undervolt via MSI Afterburner for the GPU.
I also limited the turbo boost PL2 limit to 70 watts instead of the standard 90 Watt. This is the voltage/frequency curve I've applied and the fan noise is noticeably less than using the performance of turbo mode. Moreover, the temperature is noticeably better.

Playing control the CPU does hit the 90 degrees, but stays at a steady 4 Ghz and >60 fps (+ RTX).

You kind of have to accept the noise of a gaming laptop and you can also enable "Whisper-mode" in the Geforce Experience software, which doesn't really change much imo. Using headphones is really my advice.

If you can still return the laptop, I would kinda advise you to do so as the new laptops of Asus are equipped with Liquid metal paste from the OEM. Still unsure how that works out regarding longevity, but it should reduce the high temperature and thus the loud fan noises out of the box.

EDIT: Welp today I took the time and just looked at my adjustments via HWINFO and apart from the undervolt, not much is changed. Don't think any of my settings have a positive net effect and Asus just has horrible software (i.e. no custom fan curves, the modes are unclear). MSI is doing much better on that front

Last edited:

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

Further evidence of how beastly the new AMD processors are. Next year could be the equivalent of Berserk's eclipse scene if AMD finally comes out with competitive discrete laptop GPUs. Then we won't have to beg for Nvidia scraps from the OEMs. Really hoping we get rDNA2 in laptops next year. It shouldn't be too hard considering they'll be in millions of next gen consoles by early spring.
www.notebookcheck.net

2020 HP Omen 15 is the biggest refresh yet, promises IR thermopile sensors and both 10th gen Intel and 7 nm AMD Renoir options

HP says the new sensors are a first for any gaming laptop for more accurate skin temperature readings, steadier fan noise, and improved performance overall.

Hopefully more OEM's will follow.
Unfortunately it seems like this will also be capped at a RTX 2060 option that will be delayed until July. It could still be a success if the 144Hz screen has good response time and color gamut, though. Aside from Eluktronics there are no mainstream brands that have released a gaming machine with a proper screen and there is money and marketshare to be made in that segment of the gaming market.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
K.Jack and co., what do you think of this comparison video?

Doesn't surprise me. Max-Q isn't going to have huge deviations.

It will bee a much more telling comparison, when we get to see benchmarks of 80/90W 2070 Super Max-Q vs the full 115W+ RTX 2070 Super mobile.

Might want to look into out what Throttlestop can do to help get the most out of that 15W CPU. Its factory power constraints are going to be a major bottleneck for a 1660 Ti.

The ROG Armoury Crate software should allow you to set your own fan curves.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
K.Jack and co., what do you think of this comparison video?

Doesn't surprise me. Max-Q isn't going to have huge deviations.

It will bee a much more telling comparison, when we get to see benchmarks of 80/90W 2070 Super Max-Q vs the full 115W+ RTX 2070 Super mobile.

Might want to look into out what Throttlestop can do to help get the most out of that 15W CPU. Its factory power constraints are going to be a major bottleneck for a 1660 Ti.

The ROG Armoury Crate software should allow you to set your own fan curves.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
First time ever buying a laptop here. I just need something primarily for working for home, maybe able to run indies/lower end games. I'm looking to keep it under $750.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm that the TUF's display is horrific garbage that can't even show the color red (just a deep orange) and has a response time so bad that it'll just make you want to wash out your eyes.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Further evidence of how beastly the new AMD processors are. Next year could be the equivalent of Berserk's eclipse scene if AMD finally comes out with competitive discrete laptop GPUs. Then we won't have to beg for Nvidia scraps from the OEMs. Really hoping we get rDNA2 in laptops next year. It shouldn't be too hard considering they'll be in millions of next gen consoles by early spring.

I expect AMD to create good RDNA2 laptop GPUs, but for them to do it 6 months late, after Nvidia has already release mobile Ampere and gained a monopoly.

Just like how they've drug their feet on the RX 5600M and 5700M. The cards are almost irrelevant now.

The 5700 XT came out in July of last year, and we never saw a laptop version. Even downclocked it would've challenged the mobile RTX 2080 for fastest mobile card, and would've been in cheaper laptops.

AMD enjoys losing the laptop game.

First time ever buying a laptop here. I just need something primarily for working for home, maybe able to run indies/lower end games. I'm looking to keep it under $750.
This is about the best you'll find below $750

If you are willing to go higher, the Dell G5 Special Edition is a new option. Even the base model has a 6-core Ryzen and the RX 5600M is challenging the RTX 2060.

Don't Buy The Asus TUF Gaming A15, Design Flaw Analysis
According to Hardware Unboxed the cooling solution is atrocious.
Scathing.

I think the Dell G5 SE w/ 4800H + 5600M will be the ~$1100 laptop to look for, pending reviews.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
OWNorDisown with an in depth review of the Dell G5 SE:

edit: nvm it appears he got a bad model.

Last edited:

dis3ngag3d

Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

I've pretty much set my sights on on the ASUS Zephyrus GX531 with the i9 but I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion on spending an extra $500 for the RTX 2080 over the 2070. Right now, I'm of the opinion that I've spent this much might as well throw the extra $500 at it and max it out. That still wouldn't put me over budget.

As far as system RAM goes the laptop has an 8gb module soldered to the board with an upgradeable slot that has an 8gb module installed. The plan is to buy the laptop and upgrade the SODIMM from an 8gb to a 32gb stick.

I am open to suggestions on different laptop choices but the appeal of the GX531 is price is not over $3k and the form factor is slim and portable but it still packs a lot of power. I'm not overly concerned with battery life when gaming as this is being purchased for use while traveling but use gaming is going to be powered while plugged in the hotel room and not out and about.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hey gang, trying to help a friend get a laptop, and it should be able to do the following-
Uses:
Software like MatLab, Solidworks, Autocad, Database management software

CPU and GPU are fine long as they can run the above software without issue, so RAM should be 8 or 16 GB at least.

So far they found this model
https://www.elgiganten.se/product/g...g-fx505dt-15-6-barbar-dator-gaming-svart-guld

But are there any good equivalents for under EUR 1000?

EDIT: This too
https://www.elgiganten.se/product/g...-tuf-fx506-15-6-barbar-dator-for-gaming-svart

Note that these are the TUF FX models.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hi all,

I've pretty much set my sights on on the ASUS Zephyrus GX531 with the i9 but I'm wondering if any of you have an opinion on spending an extra $500 for the RTX 2080 over the 2070. Right now, I'm of the opinion that I've spent this much might as well throw the extra $500 at it and max it out. That still wouldn't put me over budget.

As far as system RAM goes the laptop has an 8gb module soldered to the board with an upgradeable slot that has an 8gb module installed. The plan is to buy the laptop and upgrade the SODIMM from an 8gb to a 32gb stick.

I am open to suggestions on different laptop choices but the appeal of the GX531 is price is not over $3k and the form factor is slim and portable but it still packs a lot of power. I'm not overly concerned with battery life when gaming as this is being purchased for use while traveling but use gaming is going to be powered while plugged in the hotel room and not out and about.
There is a GX531 with an i9? Is this a refresh? Can I get a link?

My only advice is to stick to two 8GB sticks of RAM, because any other configuration loses dual channel and a lot of performance along with it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey gang, trying to help a friend get a laptop, and it should be able to do the following-
Uses:
Software like MatLab, Solidworks, Autocad, Database management software

CPU and GPU are fine long as they can run the above software without issue, so RAM should be 8 or 16 GB at least.

So far they found this model
https://www.elgiganten.se/product/g...g-fx505dt-15-6-barbar-dator-gaming-svart-guld

But are there any good equivalents for under EUR 1000?

EDIT: This too
https://www.elgiganten.se/product/g...-tuf-fx506-15-6-barbar-dator-for-gaming-svart

Note that these are the TUF FX models.
What is equivalent to EUR 1000? I don't know the exchange rate.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Can confirm that the TUF's display is horrific garbage that can't even show the color red (just a deep orange) and has a response time so bad that it'll just make you want to wash out your eyes.
They kinda had to go out of their way, too. It's not like OEMs are starved for decent high refresh rate displays in the 15" bracket. They should have had several 5ms options to choose from and instead went for a 20ms panel that doesn't even have good color reproduction. Truly a waste. I can at least somewhat understand the limitation for 14" laptops where the constraints were absolutely real for the G14. There just isn't an excuse for the 144Hz G15 and A15/17.
I expect AMD to create good RDNA2 laptop GPUs, but for them to do it 6 months late, after Nvidia has already release mobile Ampere and gained a monopoly.

Just like how they've drug their feet on the RX 5600M and 5700M. The cards are almost irrelevant now.

The 5700 XT came out in July of last year, and we never saw a laptop version. Even downclocked it would've challenged the mobile RTX 2080 for fastest mobile card, and would've been in cheaper laptops.

AMD enjoys losing the laptop game.
I don't know. The coronavirus messed up release schedules terribly and AMD can't force OEMs to unblock intake/exhaust vents, include RTX 2070/2080 GPUs in their laptops or stop using soldered RAM. AMD has been really aggressive this year and their Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs are even more impressive then their Ryen 3000 desktop CPUs imo. RDNA1 just wasn't quite power efficient enough for mobile (still doesn't excuse AMD skimping on the 5600M memory clock imo), but RDNA2 is primed for low power usage in laptops and consoles. AMD already said we'll be getting RDNA2 before the console launches and OEMs can't feign ignorance on Ryzen 5000 mobile like they did Ryzen 4000 mobile. I expect Ryzen 5000 laptops to hit the ground running. I would also agree that their desktop GPU division sometimes feels a bit masochistic, but AMD literally started from almost zero in the laptop space and still managed to hit intel square on the chin with a brass knuckle equipped Sunday punch. The swift 3 and Yoga/ideapad slims alone basically slaughter the far larger 15 watt market segment. I can't wait to see what a Ryzen 4000 Microsoft Surface can do.
Scathing.

I think the Dell G5 SE w/ 4800H + 5600M will be the ~$1100 laptop to look for, pending reviews.
Really hoping to hear some good news from Jarrod's Tech on this laptop. If the screen response time is at or close to 5ms it automatically trounces the A15.
Hi all,

Does gaming performance matter that much to you? If it does you should probably search for a laptop that doesn't use 8GB of soldered RAM. Mismatched RAM sizes lose dual channel performance which ends up impacting the performance of the laptop. If you're going to spend so much for a top tier GPU and a decent intel CPU then you want to make sure you get the most out of them. The new intel laptops from MSI and ASUS offer plenty of high end options sporting 2070/2080 GPUs, super high refresh rate screens and 32GB of dual channel RAM.

Last edited:

dis3ngag3d

Oct 26, 2017
There is a GX531 with an i9? Is this a refresh? Can I get a link?

My only advice is to stick to two 8GB sticks of RAM, because any other configuration loses dual channel and a lot of performance along with it.

I misspoke. It's the i7-9750. Sorry for the confusion.

I didn't think about dual channel at all. That's an excellent point. I need alittle more ram overhead than 16gb will give me for work.

Does gaming performance matter that much to you? If it does you should probably search for a laptop that doesn't use 8GB of soldered RAM. Mismatched RAM sizes lose dual channel performance which ends up impacting the performance of the laptop. If you're going to spend so much for a top tier GPU and a decent intel CPU then you want to make sure you get the most out of them. The new intel laptops from MSI and ASUS offer plenty of high end options sporting 2070/2080 GPUs, super high refresh rate screens and 32GB of dual channel RAM.

Like above I didn't think about dual channel at all.

Thank you both. I'm trying to find the slimmest one but still get that top tier gaming performance. Trying to keep it under $3k.

Right now the top of the list is this guy but I'm still shopping around.

www.newegg.com

HIDevolution Razer Blade 15 Advanced 15.6" FHD 240Hz Gaming Laptop | Black | 2.6GHz i7-9750H, RTX 2070 Max-Q, 16GB 2666MHz RAM, PCIe 256GB SSD | Performance Upgrades & Warranty - Newegg.com

Buy HIDevolution Razer Blade 15 Advanced 15.6" FHD 240Hz Gaming Laptop | Black | 2.6GHz i7-9750H, RTX 2070 Max-Q, 16GB 2666MHz RAM, PCIe 256GB SSD | Performance Upgrades & Warranty with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!
Gets me the i7-9750, 32gb ram, rtx 2070 and a 1tb ssd for $3100. I can stretch to $100 over budget if needed.

As always I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Thank you again for the info. Not thinking of dual channel was a big miss on my part!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think it's worth bothering with a 4K laptop or stick to standard HD? E.g. is the cost or maybe hit to battery life not worth it? Would it be possible to connect to a monitor and play in 4K or could it result in overheating the laptop?