• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think gaming would be about the only way anyone could sell a laptop for over $500 these days that isn't named Apple, so that is strange.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
slamhk
OK I did some reading and the Ryzen CPUs may just be my go to on my next laptop.
But I'll need to go for an 8GB gpu...
I mean I'd settle for an RTX 2070 if it can do Quake 2 and Minecraft ray tracing at 1080p without issue AT LEAST ^^;

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
slamhk
OK I did some reading and the Ryzen CPUs may just be my go to on my next laptop.
But I'll need to go for an 8GB gpu...
I mean I'd settle for an RTX 2070 if it can do Quake 2 and Minecraft ray tracing at 1080p without issue AT LEAST ^^;

Haha that was a quick switch xD.
Yeah, with that CPU it would be better to combine it with a GPU with a bit more oomph. Also better to always wait til the first review drops and hopefully those Asus laptops are able to perform comfortably with some headroom (I kinda doubt it and think they will be quite close to intel temps).

I have an i7 9750h and RTX 2070 laptop right now from Asus and having played control, I would wait till the ampere (nvidia new gpu architecture) and hope that it will provide the necessary boost for playing games with RTX.

Aren't desktop 1660 ti and Max-Q 2060 within spitting distance?

So far the RTX 2060 Max-Q hasn't been released in a laptop: Why is there no Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q?
I do know that the RTX 2060 (laptop) and GTX 1660 Ti (laptop) are within close margins of eachother. I imagine that the Desktop GTX 1660 Ti comes a bit ahead of laptop 2060.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Haha that was a quick switch xD.
Yeah, with that CPU it would be better to combine it with a GPU with a bit more oomph. Also better to always wait til the first review drops and hopefully those Asus laptops are able to perform comfortably with some headroom (I kinda doubt it and think they will be quite close to intel temps).

I have an i7 9750h and RTX 2070 laptop right now from Asus and having played control, I would wait till the ampere (nvidia new gpu architecture) and hope that it will provide the necessary boost for playing games with RTX.
I stuck with Intel mainly because it is what I've been used to in all PCs and laptops I've used my entire life ^^;

Decided to read up more on Ryzen and what I read got me very interested in it. I am not TOO into Ray tracing, I just need DSR really, but the RTX I've seen for Quake 2 and Minecraft were so
giphy.gif

That I wouldn't mind having it at least for games that wouldn't be too much for the GPU to handle ^^;

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
How does CES typically impact laptop prices? I'm semi-ready to go purchase one but am unsure if this is a good time of year for doing so, with new product announcements happening this week.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy a second 1 TB SSD to increase storage on my laptop (comes with a 1 TB NVMe SSD, and then there's one free M2 slot (NVMe/SATA combo) and a free 2.5" SATA slot). Is this a good time to buy this SSD?

Is the price likely to drop soon?
I ended up getting a 2 TB SHDD (Firecuda). I couldn't justify getting 1 TB less for 40€ more... However, I still have a free M.2 slot, so in the (distant) future I'll probably get a 2 TB NVMe SSD or something.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thinking about getting a gaming laptop at some point soon-ish. My plan was to just go to Wirecutter and get whatever they tell me to, which currently is the Acer Predator Triton 500.

1) Is there something obviously wrong with this plan?

2) I don't know anything about how specs work, how long would a laptop like that even play games at a reasonable level? Cyberpunk 2077 is the immediate concern, which I assume would uwork fine if I'm playing it on a computer that Wirecutter labelled "The best gaming laptop", but I'm wondering if there's a chance that the PS5 and the Sexbox come out, and three minutes later my computer is outdated.
1. Buying a random laptop blindly, because one website like it isn't a sound plan.

2. Well, the PS5 and XSX are guaranteed to be day one faster than all current GPUs, outside of the RTX 2070 and 2080. That said, if the 4TF Xbox Lockhart console truly exists, it's going to keep a lot of GPUs in play that wouldn't have been otherwise, as developers will have to keep that as a baseline and it's only as powerful as an Xbox One X GPU-wise. I mean the GTX 1650 is 3TF, as much as I hate making those comparisons.

Tell me this: What is your budget?

It's either Y545 same spec with Y540 but with 1660ti or ASUS TUF FX505DV with Ryzen 7 and RTX 2060, but I need to make it dual channel.

I'm not a hardcore gamer tho. As long as it's playable for me, I'll play it. I survived those crazy FPS drop in Dark Souls, and I love Witcher 3 on my Switch. I just want to buy laptop cuz I don't have one, and I want gaming laptop to play some PS4 games that I missed cuz I don't have PS4, and use my laptop for Office and Netflix.

Ask Lenovo.
Well, you should take the Y545 if it is available with the 1660 Ti.

Even with a "casual" gaming experience in mind, you should have the goal of longevity at the forefront of your priority list.

You'd think gaming would be about the only way anyone could sell a laptop for over $500 these days that isn't named Apple, so that is strange.
That's a strange way to look at things. There have always benn plenty of sub-$500 laptops out there, and they have never been very good build quality.

It still takes money to produce a high quality machine.

How does CES typically impact laptop prices? I'm semi-ready to go purchase one but am unsure if this is a good time of year for doing so, with new product announcements happening this week.
The "outdated" laptops don't typically come down in price like you would expect them to, at least not in a significant manner. There certainly won't be a fire sale. The old stuff just disappears eventually.

I want to buy a second 1 TB SSD to increase storage on my laptop (comes with a 1 TB NVMe SSD, and then there's one free M2 slot (NVMe/SATA combo) and a free 2.5" SATA slot). Is this a good time to buy this SSD?

Is the price likely to drop soon?
I ended up getting a 2 TB SHDD (Firecuda). I couldn't justify getting 1 TB less for 40€ more... However, I still have a free M.2 slot, so in the (distant) future I'll probably get a 2 TB NVMe SSD or something.
140 Euros is too much to pay for a SATA III SSD now anyway, when a 1TB NVME is that much or a bit cheaper.

I am planning to get a 2TB NVMe when I have the money. I'm going to get the Sabrent Rocket 2TB. That would give my laptop 4 SSDs and (512GB NVMe, 960GB SATA III, 1TB NVMe, 2TB MVMe).

I've actually had the 2.5" 960GB SSD for like 6 or 7 years so I want to retire it.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
That's a strange way to look at things. There have always benn plenty of sub-$500 laptops out there, and they have never been very good build quality.

It still takes money to produce a high quality machine.

Naw, I don't see the point of paying close to or over $1,000 for a laptop that can't run games personally. To me that sounds like a huge waste of money, but I suppose to someone who didn't play games maybe not? I'm still not sure, you can get a chromebook or laptop from Costco or Walmart for like $500 that's perfectly fine, if you're not a power user like a video editor or 3D / web designer, what's the big draw then? If you're just getting a machine to read emails and stuff that's what I mean.

I have never even spent close to over $500 on laptops/PCs I give to people as gifts who don't game and just use them to do very sporadic things on the web... most everyone just uses an iPad in the place of a laptop/PC anyway now, and the barrier for entry there is only like $300, so you'd hope for around 2x the cost you'd be able to get a laptop that's at least as good as a $300 tablet.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I ended up grabbing the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S Ultra Slim GX531GX-XB76.

-i7 9750H cpu
-16gb dual channel (2x8) 2666mhz RAM
-RTX 2080 Max-Q 90W version
-1TB NVME SSD
-240Hz 3ms display

Really digging the look and the slimness of it. It's very sleek and it will be a stealth gaming laptop when I'll disable the RGB. It also feel much more premium than the others. The case is 100% aluminium I believe and there is a very clever cooling system on it, making it perform on par or better than standard sized gaming laptops. I understand the RTX 2080 Max-Q 90W isn't any better than an RTX 2070 non max-Q, and according to some, slightly worse (around 5% slower in average) but I can deal with it. I also dig the keyboard positioning, especially the mousepad which you can convert into a numkey pad. Can't wait to experience that 240HZ display, which is apparently sublime.

In the end, I paid much more than the others for it. $2,999 + taxes. That said, it's normally going for $3,699 + taxes so that $700 rebate was definitely appreciated. All of this made me choose it over the others.

81rs2YCE4IL._SL1500_.jpg

Just wanted to do a follow up on this purchase.

The chassis is very solid and properly built. It's made of premium materials and it shows. When you look at it on this picture, it looks like there is some kind of orange LED bar/line on the base of the chassis but it's actually a metallic line with a subtle bronze color to it. It certainly isn't as apparent as it is on this picture and look much better in person. There are 4 apparent exhausts on it for the cooling system. One on each side and 2 at the back. There's also this very clever system on it where when you open the lid, the bottom of the laptop opens up to act as an intake and allow more air to be sucked by the fans. As you can see, they have relocated the keyboard on the front of the laptop to allow the upper section to act as an intake too. All of this provide excellent temps, which I'll get into later on. The display, as I've previously mentioned, has a 240HZ refresh rate and 3ms g2g response time. This makes for stellar clarity and a great, fluid experience. The screen is so good that I've shared my experience with it in this thread and how I believe G-Sync/Freesync VRR techs isn't as important when you're playing on a very high refresh rate display coupled with high framerate. This is of course based on my experience and my own eyeballs. Results will vary obviously depending of the person. Other than that, it has a bit of backlight bleeding in some corners as expected on most IPS laptops but I honestly only started to notice it when I used it in a dark environment.

The performance are fantastic. Armory Crate, the tuning software that comes with any ROG laptops, will be you main software utility to tune RGB, overclock the cpu/gpu and/or choose your profile. Regarding those profiles, you can choose between Windows managed, Silent, Turbo and Customized. Windows managed will use the plan you selected in Windows. Silent will do exactly as the name suggests. It will lower the multiplier of the CPU and keep the active cooling at minimum values. Turbo will put the active cooling solution into agressive mode, which will make those fans spin agressively as soon as the CPU/GPU are stressed. It will also overclock the GPU by 100mhz, the memory by 150mhz and set the GPU power to 90w instead of 80w. Finally, there is the custom profile, which will allow you to manage the fan speed curve, the minimum and maximum values of it, and allow you to manually overclock the CPU by up to 120mhz and the memory by up to 200mhz.

Something that I've noticed regarding these profiles:

I'm not sure about this but it seems the Turbo profile unlocks some additional power to both the CPU and the GPU. I know that Turbo sets the GPU to 90w, but I'm not sure customized do the same. For example, I get better results in some benchmarks when using Turbo mode (+100gpu +150memory) compared to customized (+120gpu +200memory). Assassin's Creed Odyssey is one benchmark where I noted this difference. With Customized, I get an average of 60fps at 1080p Ultra settings while I get 64fps when using Turbo mode. I will need to verify this with HWinfo by looking at the power value when I switch between both profiles, which is something I haven't done yet.

There also the fact that it seems I obtain better overclocking stability when using Turbo instead of customized. For example, if I override the overclocking with MSI Afterburner, +125gpu and +200memory is pretty much the maximum I can do with customized profile before I get crashes or artefacts. With Turbo mode, I can raise the overclocking to +150gpu +250memory without any issue. I haven't tried going any higher but I bet I could.

I feel like when I'm using the customized profile, I need to also set the window profile to best performance in order to set the gpu to 90w. This is something I need to test.

I'm not sure if I won the silicon lottery, but I'm getting stellar undervolting value. With Throttlestop, I've set the CPU Cache voltage offset to -100.6 mv and the CPU voltage offset to -180.4 mv. Thanks to these values, thermal throttling is eliminated. Highest value I've reach was in the high 70s C during stress tests for the CPU and high 60s C during GPU intensive games. CPU is always sticking to its maximum value of 3988mhz (4.0ghz) when all 6 cores are used. It never drops whatsoever from what I've seen. Because I am so far away from hitting thermal throttling, I can significantly reduce the fan speed when using the customized profile in Armory Crate, should I decide to use it to make my gaming experience much quieter.

Going back to performance, I'm honestly surprised and very happy about it.

Firestrike score is over 19000 (physic score 17000+, graphic score 23200+). Port Royal over 5000. That's just the benchmark though. The goods are delivered in games too.

Absolutely everything I've thrown at it run perfectly and maxed out on its 1080p acreen. The average fps I'm getting in games are quite a bit better than what I've gathered from techspot or notebookcheck for example. But this is an Optimus laptop, which mean that for most games, you'll get even better performance when outputting to an external display through the HDMI port. This is something that can be annoying when you think about it. The fact that you cannot reach the maximum performance of your laptop when playing on its own screen sounds honestly terrible. The great performance it has greatly mitigates this. In most games that I've tried, we're looking at a 5-10% performance difference in average. Since I already have fps in the 100s though, it doesn't bother me all that much and I believe I can deal with this. I wish it had a switch to disable Optimus other than having to hook up an external screen though.

But let's talk about this HDMI output for a second. You might actually consider using it, if only to output on a 1440p screen, or even on a 4K one for that matter, since the performance are actually stunning. Other than Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I was able to run every game I've tried at least at a locked, 1440p60 with ultra settings. There are also many games that can be run at 4K60. Dark Souls 3 for example is a 4K60 affair 95% of the time. Street Fighter V is a locked 4K60. Resident Evil 2 runs at a smooth 1872p60, etc. Honestly I feel like everything I can run at 4k60 on my 3900x / 1080Ti desktop, I can at 1800p60 and everything I can run at 1800p60 on the desktop, I can at 1620p60 or at 1440p.

So yeah, I am really glad with this purchase. It's a great looking, ultra slim laptop that packs quite a punch and honestly keeps surprising me over and over. I cannot recommend this model enough!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
For about 1200eur I kind of want to get a Y540 with the 144hz panel and a 1660ti but it would be a QWERTZ keyboard. smh Lenovo for not letting me order internationally.

e: similar deal on the G5 but can order that with eng keyboard. Heard it runs a bit hotter though.

Last edited:

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
Hey guys, I feel weird that I have to ask this, but what laptops actually can play bass out of their speakers?

I was checking out a bunch of different laptops at Best Buy today, and I would play "Billie Jean", and there were only two laptops where I could hear the bass line whatsoever: The Macbook Pro, and the Microsoft Surface. I checked the Razer Blade 15, the 17 inch Alienware, the HP Spectre x360, some MSI, and a bunch of others. Does anyone know any other laptops (preferably with the ability to play games) that actually have bass?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up cancelling my order for the 2 TB SHDD and ordered a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO instead (I decided I didn't want with any mechanical drives inside my laptop), so now my GE65 has 2 TB of SSD space (1 TB NVMe + 1 TB SATA) and I still have one NVMe slot free for the future. This should be enough for a good while!

I can finally install Modern Warfare 2019 again lol (it came as a gift because of the RTX offer, but it's 165 fucking GB, so I ended up having to unistall it because I was short on storage)

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I feel weird that I have to ask this, but what laptops actually can play bass out of their speakers?

I was checking out a bunch of different laptops at Best Buy today, and I would play "Billie Jean", and there were only two laptops where I could hear the bass line whatsoever: The Macbook Pro, and the Microsoft Surface. I checked the Razer Blade 15, the 17 inch Alienware, the HP Spectre x360, some MSI, and a bunch of others. Does anyone know any other laptops (preferably with the ability to play games) that actually have bass?

I imagine most people just use a set of headphones through a USB DAC... but I tested the song on the Y740 vs my Vanatoo T0s and the T0s won, overwhelmingly so. I always thought the 740 sounded pretty good for laptop speakers but it's got nothing against even just a quality pair of monitors w/o a sub. So scratch that brand from your list too. If we're pimping out brands the AKG 712 headphones I normally use also overwhelmingly destroy anything that could possibly come out of a laptop as well. :)

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo after reassembling my MSI GE65 Raider after adding a second SSD, there's now a small gap between the two parts of the chasis, right where the right button of the touchpad is, and it allows me to see the HDD activity LED from above, which I'm pretty sure didn't happen before. I made sure to put every screw and all of the clips of the chasis appear to be correct. Any tips? Should I tear it down and reassemble it again? Or should I just not worry

Video of what I mean:

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
I imagine most people just use a set of headphones through a USB DAC... but I tested the song on the Y740 vs my Vanatoo T0s and the T0s won, overwhelmingly so. I always thought the 740 sounded pretty good for laptop speakers but it's got nothing against even just a quality pair of monitors w/o a sub. So scratch that brand from your list too. If we're pimping out brands the AKG 712 headphones I normally use also overwhelmingly destroy anything that could possibly come out of a laptop as well. :)

What's sad is that earlier this year I bought my wife a Huawei matebook D and it has amazing bass just like a MacBook (and is a fantastic machine for the price.. not intended for any gaming). So Huawei successfully copied even that from Apple. But now with all the trade nonsense it seems Huaweis are hard to buy and you have to import them from China. How can it be so hard to get bass out of a laptop?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The Walmart "EVOO" laptops built in the Tong Fang chassis (like last years overpowered laptops) are back to the Black Friday prices right now. Well 2/3 of them are, the middle one is $100 more than it was. Either way killer deals

$649 - 15" 144hz IPS, 9750h, 16gb, GTX 1650, 256gb ssd

$899 - 15" 144hz IPS, 9750h, 16gb, GTX 1660ti, gb ssd

$999 - 17" 144hz IPS, 9750h, 16gb, RTX 2060, 1TB ssd

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
The Walmart "EVOO" laptops built in the Tong Fang chassis (like last years overpowered laptops) are back to the Black Friday prices right now. Well 2/3 of them are, the middle one is $100 more than it was. Either way killer deals

I'm still really happy with the OP 17+, but I'm gonna say I much prefer that logo over the ugly OP one. An included 1TB SSD is a killer inclusion too.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but why is CPU cooling so much worse than GPU cooling in laptops? Why can we have almost full desktop RTX 2080 performance inside a laptop but CPUs are more limited?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but why is CPU cooling so much worse than GPU cooling in laptops? Why can we have almost full desktop RTX 2080 performance inside a laptop but CPUs are more limited?
Because How TDP is measured and Turbo boosting.

TDP is given for the regular, base clock speeds. Boosting throws that out of whack.

So if you engineer for a 15W TDP, which on Intel is more like 20W, then if you boost you end up with 25, 30, who knows. Cooling solution has a limit.

GPUs have their TDP defined better, but are bigger. Also, 150W vs 45W? Or 80/90 W Max Q vs 45 W. Etc.

Look at the Clevo with Ryzen 2 at 65W announced at CES. Cooler is huge for a CPU. Same with something like the Alienware 51m.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The Intel circlejerk in that article is as big as the 2080 Super performance. More than half of it is about the CPU in an unannounced laptop, when DTRs are likely to use Full desktop Ryzen 2 at 65W.

Oh yeah, performance for the GPU looks good.
When I read their intel stuff I raised an eyebrow, I am interested in a combo of Ryzen 4000+2020 NVidia Mobile GPU in the near future, so thanks for pointing that out.

Really hoping we get more official news soon...if not during March XO

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Because How TDP is measured and Turbo boosting.

TDP is given for the regular, base clock speeds. Boosting throws that out of whack.

So if you engineer for a 15W TDP, which on Intel is more like 20W, then if you boost you end up with 25, 30, who knows. Cooling solution has a limit.

GPUs have their TDP defined better, but are bigger. Also, 150W vs 45W? Or 80/90 W Max Q vs 45 W. Etc.

Look at the Clevo with Ryzen 2 at 65W announced at CES. Cooler is huge for a CPU. Same with something like the Alienware 51m.
I see. The i7 9750H on my GE65 reaches 70 watts or so under load last time I checked, dunno if that's bad or something. I have it undervolted -120mV and it sustains 4 GHz while gaming. (it's like 3988 MHz which I assume counts as 4 GHz). Which is funny because I've read horror stories of this CPU throttling under 3 GHz lol. And I live in a very hot climate (canary islands)

I kind of regret not going for the GE75, which was the same price. I think I would have liked the extra big screen. Oh well, it's too late now to exchange it.

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
Uh, guys, what the heck is this website?

https://www.portarget.com/products/GIGABYTE-%2d-15.6"-4K-Ultra-HD-Laptop-%252d-Intel-Core-i7-%252d-16GB-Memory-%252d-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-%252d-512GB-Solid-State-Drive-%252d-Black.html

If you Google it it gets a very low trust rating, but seemingly because it's new, not because of any specific problems. The price on the above laptop is $500 below Amazon...

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Uh, guys, what the heck is this website?

https://www.portarget.com/products/GIGABYTE-%2d-15.6"-4K-Ultra-HD-Laptop-%252d-Intel-Core-i7-%252d-16GB-Memory-%252d-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-%252d-512GB-Solid-State-Drive-%252d-Black.html

If you Google it it gets a very low trust rating, but seemingly because it's new, not because of any specific problems. The price on the above laptop is $500 below Amazon...
Yeah.. I'm not going to risk it...
On one hand it's sketchy, on the other they list Paypal as a payment method so I'm not sure how they could hope to pull off a scam.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Just turned on my Evoo 15 LP5.
It's weird having a laptop again. I formally was using a 10 year old HP 17.

The keyboard feels fine. The numpad layout is strange, however.
It has an i7-9750H and 1660ti, which I hear is decent. Especially since I paid $650+tax for it.

I have no idea what kind of thermals or fan speed and sounds this thing should make.
Also, having a slab mouse pad is strange.

I miss my buttons. :(

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Just turned on my Evoo 15 LP5.
It's weird having a laptop again. I formally was using a 10 year old HP 17.

The keyboard feels fine. The numpad layout is strange, however.
It has an i7-9750H and 1660ti, which I hear is decent. Especially since I paid $650+tax for it.

I have no idea what kind of thermals or fan speed and sounds this thing should make.
Also, having a slab mouse pad is strange.

I miss my buttons. :(
I'm not sure I'll ever buy a gaming laptop that doesn't have physical buttons.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Alright. Due to life and gaming style changes I'm in the market to switch from desktop to gaming laptop. Price range is hopefully under 3k and I'm looking for something that'll get me through the next three years at least. 1080p is fine by me and I prefer frame rate over resolution. My next big pc buy is doom eternal and I also play a ton of red dead online.

I'm looking at Msig75 or razor blade. I'm assuming going with a 2080 maxq would be worth the extra investment. I need to double check but I assume they are both g sync?

or do you all suggest something else?

EDIT: After more research I'm looking at an alienware m15. I can get the 6 core with a 2080 for about 2600 bucks. Seem solid?

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Due to life and gaming style changes I'm in the market to switch from desktop to gaming laptop. Price range is hopefully under 3k and I'm looking for something that'll get me through the next three years at least. 1080p is fine by me and I prefer frame rate over resolution. My next big pc buy is doom eternal and I also play a ton of red dead online.

I'm looking at Msig75 or razor blade. I'm assuming going with a 2080 maxq would be worth the extra investment. I need to double check but I assume they are both g sync?

or do you all suggest something else?

EDIT: After more research I'm looking at an alienware m15. I can get the 6 core with a 2080 for about 2600 bucks. Seem solid?
Look for a 2080 non max Q at that price range

Unless you want to be able to move it often?

chanman

Nov 9, 2017

Man, I missed the deal. Are there any other laptops the anyone would recommend in the $500 to $700 price range?