• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 11, 2019
Can I do better on the cost going with a different brand? Really, the only variables that I don't want to change are the number of cores and the amount of ram (although, I could probably get away with 64 GB). If I could get this laptop (or something close) with a Ryzen with a minimum of 8 cores (16 would be better), I would. Any suggestions?
The only mobile cpu that I know of that is faster then the i9-9880 is the i9-9980HK when looking at multi core processing.

The current mobile Ryzen are still based on the old architecture and dont come near the i-9. In the beginning of 2020 AMD is supposed to release the 7nm mobile variants, if the desktop CPUs (especially the higher ends) give us any clues, then they may get close to intel on this front as well.
Edit: Did not see most of the questions already got answered

Last edited:

bigred50

Oct 31, 2017
I managed to get temps to drop by underclocking a bit more, but this the route I'm gonna go soon.

I've got the 5590 as well. Underclocked, but I'm tempted to give repasting a go. It's not something I'm familiar with so I'm a little hesitant. There seems to be a couple decent "how-to" videos available as guidance at least... I don't want to mess anything up though!

Please let me know if you go ahead with it, would love to know your results.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I've got the 5590 as well. Underclocked, but I'm tempted to give repasting a go. It's not something I'm familiar with so I'm a little hesitant. There seems to be a couple decent "how-to" videos available as guidance at least... I don't want to mess anything up though!

Please let me know if you go ahead with it, would love to know your results.
Did you already undervolt it as well? My temps rarely get to 90C anymore even while gaming on Ultra settings. I'm probably not going to attempt a repaste for a couple of months but I'll definitely share my results here.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I've been looking at a new gaming laptop to replace mine (I was going to get one last year, but decided to wait for RTX laptops)

I finally set my eyes on another Asus laptop since my experience was great before. It was the Asus Zephyrus gx701, RTX 2080, 32GB ram (I need 32GB ram), 1 Terra SSD, i7-9750H and I bought one. I ended up returning it 2 days later. The reason being the fans were on 24/7 even on idle windows. I messed with fan settings, CPU/GPU tweaks etc ... and it was still annoyingly audible.

Anyways, now I'm still on the lookout for a gaming laptop. My number one requirement is for it to cool and silent while doing normal windows tasks. I've watched dozens of reviews for gaming laptops and it seems most RTX and new i7 laptops are noisy ? Currently considering the MSI GS75. any recommendations is welcome. Also, I'm reading online that maybe its better to stick with RTX 2060 instead of buying a laptop with RTX 2080., what do you guys think ?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Hey guys, I've been looking at a new gaming laptop to replace mine (I was going to get one last year, but decided to wait for RTX laptops)

I finally set my eyes on another Asus laptop since my experience was great before. It was the Asus Zephyrus gx701, RTX 2080, 32GB ram (I need 32GB ram), 1 Terra SSD, i7-9750H and I bought one. I ended up returning it 2 days later. The reason being the fans were on 24/7 even on idle windows. I messed with fan settings, CPU/GPU tweaks etc ... and it was still annoyingly audible.

Anyways, now I'm still on the lookout for a gaming laptop. My number one requirement is for it to cool and silent while doing normal windows tasks. I've watched dozens of reviews for gaming laptops and it seems most RTX and new i7 laptops are noisy ? Currently considering the MSI GS75. any recommendations is welcome. Also, I'm reading online that maybe its better to stick with RTX 2060 instead of buying a laptop with RTX 2080., what do you guys think ?
I recomend you the one I got:

Exact models vary by country so you'll have to dig around various versions of the "GE65 Raider 9SF" if you want exactly the same specs. There are versions with a 144 Hz screen instead of 240 Hz, a 2060 instead of a 2070, etc. There's also a 17" variant, that would be the GE75.

It runs beautifuly and it's silent when not gaming.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
I recomend you the one I got:

Exact models vary by country so you'll have to dig around various versions of the "GE65 Raider 9SF" if you want exactly the same specs. There are versions with a 144 Hz screen instead of 240 Hz, a 2060 instead of a 2070, etc. There's also a 17" variant, that would be the GE75.

It runs beautifuly and it's silent when not gaming.

Yeah, I'll look at the 17" variant. I prefer my gaming laptops to be 17 inch screens.Thanks for the recommendation, I've actually not looked at this laptop before, will look at some reviews etc..

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
Just an update, the Lenovo Legion Y740, 17.3 FHD IPS 144Hz, i7-9750H, RTX 2070 MaxQ is amazing. It did the division 2 on ultra by default and it ran like butter. My friend who go the same laptop was blown away because even with desktops, he always had crappy ones. This is the first time he's had something decent and he's really happy. Thanks again, everyone.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
I took the dive and bought the MSI GE75 Raider with 17.3 FHD IPS 144Hz, i7-9750H, RTX 2060, 512 SSD. I should have it in a couple of days.

I also plan to order 32GB ram kit and a 2 terabyte 2.5 SATA ssd for it (I also have the Samsung 970 PRO 512GB that I can put into the extra nvme slot), but I want to try it for a couple of days before I buy any component upgrades just in case I return it.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Anyone know MSI's stance in Spain in regards to me opening my laptop to add a second M2 SSD since there's a free slot? There's a bullshit anti-consumer, illegal and inmoral warranty sticker.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I appreciate that ASUS specifies that warranty only applies on original hardware, and even includes everything you need to add an extra 2.5 drive in the box. Very upgrade friendly.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys.

I'm looking for a cheap PC for my dad to play some games. Specifically Total War: Rome 2.

It doesn't need to be fancy at all. It doesn't even need to play the game at the highest settings. It just needs to be able to play it without dying.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys.

I'm looking for a cheap PC for my dad to play some games. Specifically Total War: Rome 2.

It doesn't need to be fancy at all. It doesn't even need to play the game at the highest settings. It just needs to be able to play it without dying.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
You need to give a budget

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay.

What about processors?

edit also sorry I mean 1650 not 1050 for nvidia.

the ryzen 3500u is an apu, so you get cpu and graphics.

nvidia 1650/1660/1660ti/2050 will generally be paired with some kind of intel i5. That's fine. The nvidia gpus you will see an escalation in price the higher up you go up that list but also better performance. Just a question of what you wanna spend. I think you can find 1650 laptops for around $500. Search nvidia 1650 laptop on slickdeals.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
edit also sorry I mean 1650 not 1050 for nvidia.

the ryzen 3500u is an apu, so you get cpu and graphics.

nvidia 1650/1660/1660ti/2050 will generally be paired with some kind of intel i5. That's fine. The nvidia gpus you will see an escalation in price the higher up you go up that list but also better performance. Just a question of what you wanna spend. I think you can find 1650 laptops for around $500. Search nvidia 1650 laptop on slickdeals.
Ahh okay.

So do you reckon this would okay?

BankeR

Nov 22, 2019
I'm looking for a laptop to do some work with VMs *and* do some gaming when I travel. I want it to be similar or better than my 4 year old workstation in performance. Here are the specs for a P73 that I built recently, but I'm hoping somebody here can do better than I did. Suggestions on what I should change are more than welcome. This would run around 4500 CAD.

• Processor : Intel® Core™ i9-9880H with vPro™ (2.30GHz, up to 4.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16MB Cache)
  • Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64
  • Operating System Language : Windows 10 Pro 64 English
  • Display : 17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, anti-glare, 400 nits, Dolby Vision™ HDR
  • Memory : 128GB (32GB x 4) DDR4 2666MHz
  • Graphic Card : NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000 8GB
  • Camera : IR & 720p HD camera with ThinkShutter
  • Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad - US English
  • Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
  • Near Field Communication : NFC
  • Pointing Device : Fingerprint
  • TPM Setting : Enabled Discrete TPM2.0
  • First Hard Drive : 1TB Solid State Drive, M.2 PCIe-NVMe, Opal
  • Storage Total Capacity : 1TB
  • System Expansion Slots : Smart Card Reader
  • Battery : 6 Cell Li-Polymer, 99Wh
  • Power Cord : 230W AC Adapter
  • Wireless : Intel® AX200 Wi-Fi 6 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0
  • vPro Certified Model : vPro Certified
  • Display Panel : 17.3" UHD(3840 x 2160) IPS, 400nits, Anti-Glare, No Touch, IR-Camera, Mic, WLAN
Not cool pc

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
You guys have any recommendations for laptops to run grand strategy/simulator games(mostly stellaris, hoi4 or football manager)?

Looking to spend maybe 500-600€

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm considering the following laptop:

The HP Omen 17-cb0040nr, a 17.3 inches laptop sporting a 144hz 5ms display with a 9750H cpu, an RTX 2070 (non max q), 16gb of 2666mhz ram (2x8), and a 250gb SSD + 1TB HDD

The MSI GE63-9SF, a 15.6 inches laptop sporting a 144hz 3ms display, a 9750H cpu, an RTX 2070 (non max q), 16gb of 2666mhz RAM (2x8), and a 512gb SSD

The ASUS GL531GW-PB74 Strix Scar G Gaming, a 15.6 inches laptop sporting a 120hz display, a 9750H cpu, an RTX 2070 (non max q), 16gb of 2666 mhz RAM (lottery, either 1x16 or 2x8) and a 512gb nvme SSD

The HP costs $2,113 cdn + taxes
The MSI costs $2,199 cdn + taxes
The Asus costs $1,999 cdn + taxes

I'm inclined to purchase the MSI even though it's the most expensive as I know the brand and their product and already had an MSI laptop in the past and it was great, nothing to complain about. It also appears like it's the one with the least thermal issue when gaming.

That said, the Omen comes with Wifi-6, thunderbolt, a 17.3 inches display and I actually prefer the calmer look of it. The MSI is really "in yo' fucking face gamers", which I don't really like, but I could deal with it no problem.

As for the ASUS, I've read about it and it appears the display really isn't on the same caliber compared to either the MSI or the Omen. Much slower response time, lower color accuracy, etc. I've also read that many have issues with the G531 line-up regarding cooling and thermal / throttling issues, but it seems divisive. Finally, it appears whether you get 1x16gb or 2x8gb (basically single channel or dual channel) is entirely up to luck.

Basically, the only thing that is appealing to me on the ASUS is the price. I'm willing to paid the premium on the other if it means better display and less throttling.

I'm torn between the MSI and the Omen :(

Help me Reset!

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Anyone know MSI's stance in Spain in regards to me opening my laptop to add a second M2 SSD since there's a free slot? There's a bullshit anti-consumer, illegal and inmoral warranty sticker.
MSI does not void end user warranty for opening the laptop and upgrading parts.

If you send the machine in for repairs they literally send you a form to declare any upgrades you done to storage/RAM/WI-FI so they make sure you get your parts back.

You would be better off with a brand new laptop, such as this AMD machine.

You guys have any recommendations for laptops to run grand strategy/simulator games(mostly stellaris, hoi4 or football manager)?

Looking to spend maybe 500-600€
Need more than a budget. Your country of purchase and links to some sites where you shop would be most helpful.

Maybe you should simplify things.

Eliminate the ASUS entirely, then make it a decision primarily based on 17.3" vs 15.6", with aesthetics as secondary. Use the weight you give your history with MSI's reliability as the tie breaker.

Last edited:

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Maybe you should simplify things.

Eliminate the ASUS entirely, then make it a decision primarily based on 17.3" vs 15.6", with aesthetics as secondary. Use the weight you give your history with MSI's reliability as the tie breaker.

I ended up grabbing the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S Ultra Slim GX531GX-XB76.

-i7 9750H cpu
-16gb dual channel (2x8) 2666mhz RAM
-RTX 2080 Max-Q 90W version
-1TB NVME SSD
-240Hz 3ms display

Really digging the look and the slimness of it. It's very sleek and it will be a stealth gaming laptop when I'll disable the RGB. It also feel much more premium than the others. The case is 100% aluminium I believe and there is a very clever cooling system on it, making it perform on par or better than standard sized gaming laptops. I understand the RTX 2080 Max-Q 90W isn't any better than an RTX 2070 non max-Q, and according to some, slightly worse (around 5% slower in average) but I can deal with it. I also dig the keyboard positioning, especially the mousepad which you can convert into a numkey pad. Can't wait to experience that 240HZ display, which is apparently sublime.

In the end, I paid much more than the others for it. $2,999 + taxes. That said, it's normally going for $3,699 + taxes so that $700 rebate was definitely appreciated. All of this made me choose it over the others.

81rs2YCE4IL._SL1500_.jpg

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, back on the market for a new laptop! This 2012 Lenovo had a good run, but it's time to move on.

I'm leaning toward something like this:

MSI GF75 Thin 9SC-278 17.3" 120Hz FHD Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA GTX 1650, 16GB, 512GB Nvme SSD, Win10

• Display: 17.3" Fhd (1920x1080), 120Hz, 45% NTSC, IPS-Level
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-9750h 2.6 - 4.5GHz
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4G GDDR5
  • Memory: 16GB (8G*2) DDR4 2666MHz, 2 Sockets; Max Memory 64GB
  • Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD
  • operating system: Windows 10

Any thoughts? I'm in the US, budget is around $1,000, and ideally I'd like something that could do a decent job running games like Disco Elysium, Total War: Three Kingdoms, and Pathologic 2.

I have no experience with MSI, but it seems like a solid brand? Hmm.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am ok with that as i plan on getting a new laptop in 2020 anyways
So i want to compare the newer gpus with the recent ones
I merely desire to upgrade to one that has dsr at least so rtx would be a bonus.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
Finally caved in and bought the Legion y740, i7-9750, rtx2070 MQ, 16GB for 1.700€ on a sale (sic) in Euroland, although I was always eying the i5-8300, rtx2060 for around 1.300 - 1.400€. Reading about those US prices here is bringing tears to my eyes ;)
Rationale being that I might squeeze a little bit more "future proofness" out of the CPU upgrade. I hope it's worth it and won't be struck with buyer's remorse in the coming days.
My first PC in over a decade, I am hesitantly excited :)

Thanks thread, having subscribed to this in the past ~3 months definitely helped my purchasing decision.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Finally caved in and bought the Legion y740, i7-9750, rtx2070 MQ, 16GB for 1.700€ on a sale (sic) in Euroland, although I was always eying the i5-8300, rtx2060 for around 1.300 - 1.400€. Reading about those US prices here is bringing tears to my eyes ;)
Rationale being that I might squeeze a little bit more "future proofness" out of the CPU upgrade. I hope it's worth it and won't be struck with buyer's remorse in the coming days.
My first PC in over a decade, I am hesitantly excited :)

Thanks thread, having subscribed to this in the past ~3 months definitely helped my purchasing decision.

I have the same system and it flies. Rips through games and encodes like butter compared to my old PC. The display and speakers are great, though I mostly use headphones at night, but the sound is still really impressive, and the HDR brightness is great too.

After reading some of the impressions of Planet Zoo performance I wasn't sure what to expect when I tried it on the laptop - but put everything to Ultra anyway - and it runs smooth as can be without a hint of a dropped frame or slow down. So really happy for now - and games like TW3 all run perfect too.

I'm sure I'll want to upgrade again in 4 years or so, because it's sort of buying at the wrong time - getting the CPU/GPU a year/model after the new console generation would be more ideal - but my hand was kinda forced, so.

I like how the Lenovo quick profiles actually work - setting it to quiet reduces the fan and CPU to the point it's basically silent even while gaming/encoding - but you take a big hit on CPU - but you get silence (and temps around 60C or less). And it's just a click away to go back to regular performance with the CPU running at full speed / temp (90C or less). My biggest complaint with it right now is the dumb iCUE RGB keyboard - when you lock the PC or boot it, the keyboard goes into berserk mode with spinning colors and other crap - which you need to manually shut off by hitting the light down key.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up grabbing the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S Ultra Slim GX531GX-XB76.

-i7 9750H cpu
-16gb dual channel (2x8) 2666mhz RAM
-RTX 2080 Max-Q 90W version
-1TB NVME SSD
-240Hz 3ms display

Really digging the look and the slimness of it. It's very sleek and it will be a stealth gaming laptop when I'll disable the RGB. It also feel much more premium than the others. The case is 100% aluminium I believe and there is a very clever cooling system on it, making it perform on par or better than standard sized gaming laptops. I understand the RTX 2080 Max-Q 90W isn't any better than an RTX 2070 non max-Q, and according to some, slightly worse (around 5% slower in average) but I can deal with it. I also dig the keyboard positioning, especially the mousepad which you can convert into a numkey pad. Can't wait to experience that 240HZ display, which is apparently sublime.

In the end, I paid much more than the others for it. $2,999 + taxes. That said, it's normally going for $3,699 + taxes so that $700 rebate was definitely appreciated. All of this made me choose it over the others.

Nice choice and great deal wow, I have the Asus G531GW (HERO III), and there is one quirk which you have to deal with Asus laptops and its ROG crate software: These Asus Armoury Crate power profiles don't make much sense .
Using the silent profile in ROG crate and manually changing the power plan to balanced yields near-silent fan noise when playing games more casual games: Lol, paladins, MMO's, indie titles and still achieve 144 fps, for me. Also, some titles which are not CPU heavy (Control, wolfenstein ) run perfect (>72 fps). Undervolting also helped :d. Just a tip, because changing to performance mode in ROG crate, will use the Windows High-performance power plan and your CPU will just go to 4GHz all the time even though it is not needed.
Also, keep in mind that one memory slot is soldered!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the ROG crate software profiles also relate to the amount of power delivered to the CPU and GPU. If you need a bit more oomph, I'd recommend using the Windows profile or performance (but set power plan to balanced). Don't use the turbo profile unless you want to listen to a jet taking off!

Last edited:

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
'm sure I'll want to upgrade again in 4 years or so, because it's sort of buying at the wrong time - getting the CPU/GPU a year/model after the new console generation would be more ideal
4-5 years was/is my hope as well.
And yeah, the timing might not be ideal, but my train of thought is that with next gen using about the same parts in terms of theoretical capabilities, I might be able to play the multiplats with a few compromises here and there.
Then again: what do I know?! ;)

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Nice choice and great deal wow, I have the Asus G531GW (HERO III), and there is one quirk which you have to deal with Asus laptops and its ROG crate software: These Asus Armoury Crate power profiles don't make much sense .
Using the silent profile in ROG crate and manually changing the power plan to balanced yields near-silent fan noise when playing games more casual games: Lol, paladins, MMO's, indie titles and still achieve 144 fps, for me. Also, some titles which are not CPU heavy (Control, wolfenstein ) run perfect (>72 fps). Undervolting also helped :d. Just a tip, because changing to performance mode in ROG crate, will use the Windows High-performance power plan and your CPU will just go to 4GHz all the time even though it is not needed.
Also, keep in mind that one memory slot is soldered!

Yes I know I'll be locked at 16gb unless I plan to drop Dual Channel :)

Thanks for the tips! Can't wait to have it in my hands :)

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is there some objectively superior choice here when balanced for budget 🤔 MSI is more than I want to spend but has a 2060, y540 is cheapest but would spend a but to upgrade the ram and maybe get a non hybrid drive so the cost would be around the G3. G3 is also an i7 but only because the i5s (at cyberport anyway) dont have 144hz panels. All 3 here do though.

xtr0dNv.png

bIzbMRD.png

B45t8fk.png

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I asked this in the thread about Intel's 10th gen but nobody answered so I'll ask here:

Just curious: Are we expecting a big jump in performance for laptop 10th gen i7s? I got a new laptop very recently with an i7 9750H. It stays rock solid at 4.0 GHz all core turbo (well, MSI afterburner says something like 3988 MHz and I just assume that's 4 GHz) when playing demanding games such as RDR2, AC Odyssey, etc so I'm happy with performance. But I'm getting the feeling I got my laptop right before a big performance jump. The 9750H is 6c/12t.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in the thread about Intel's 10th gen but nobody answered so I'll ask here:

Just curious: Are we expecting a big jump in performance for laptop 10th gen i7s? I got a new laptop very recently with an i7 9750H. It stays rock solid at 4.0 GHz all core turbo (well, MSI afterburner says something like 3988 MHz and I just assume that's 4 GHz) when playing demanding games such as RDR2, AC Odyssey, etc so I'm happy with performance. But I'm getting the feeling I got my laptop right before a big performance jump. The 9750H is 6c/12t.
No.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I have an ASUS gaming laptop bought about a year ago or so, don't have the model number with me right now. Is there any way to dock it and use it as sort of a desktop without having to have it out on a desk? I know docks can kind of suck.. my work laptops dock was designed for my work laptop and it suuuuuucks.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have an ASUS gaming laptop bought about a year ago or so, don't have the model number with me right now. Is there any way to dock it and use it as sort of a desktop without having to have it out on a desk? I know docks can kind of suck.. my work laptops dock was designed for my work laptop and it suuuuuucks.

Does it have a Thunderbolt 3 port, or at least a USB-C port?