• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So the two BEST VALUE DEALS for US buyers as of this moment are the Best Buy ASUS and the Amazon Acer Helios 300. They are also conveniently a 15" and 17" so you can decide what size you want.

Acer Predator Helios 300 - $928.99 - 15.6" - i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 256GB NVMe

ASUS G731GU-BI7N9 - $899 - 17.3" i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 512GB NVMe

Let's say 700 to 800$
Can you stretch to $899? This ASUS is on sale at Best Buy and is the best deal running right now.

i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti and a 512GB NVMe SSD for that price is too good to pass up.

Just bought my first laptop! I have a couple questions now though. It came with 16gb of ram, is expanding to 32gb overkill? And what's the best antivirus option? I'm seeing that just the built in windows defender is good
Congrats. What did you buy?

It's overkill right now, if we are solely dealing with gaming, especially at just 1080p.

I have an alienware right now which is 4 years old (i7, 765m, 16gm ram, 14") . My goals despite my work which is not a problem in terms of powe, is purely for gaming. I am in no hurry to buy it asap as I dont believe there are games and i am willing to wait an other year if the differences are not small compare to what i can buy today
Well, the move to 7nm is going to pay off huge dividends for Nvidia''s next-gen GPUs, both in raw power and ray-tracing performance.

Just know that, judging by the past history of how Nvidia does prioritizes the desktop releases, the mobile release is usually 4-6 months after the desktop. it may literally be next October-ish before the cards make it to laptops.

So you may be hunkering down for a long wait if you have the resolve. We'll find out more when they actually announce the 3000 series though.

A 1050 3GB? And the final price is $449? It sounds like a great price, but this thing is obsolete before it even arrives.
Well, someone with a super low budget kinda has no choice. A dedicated GPU as fast as the GTX 1050 below $450 is still a heck of a find.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The killer Walmart deals are back with a new brand. This year it's EVOO instead of OP. Same tongfang chassis it looks like. I ordered the 17" 144hz IPS, i7 9750h, dual channel 16gb, nvme 1TB SSD and RTX 2060 for $999

I reviewed the 17" OP laptop last year and it was awesome. I sold it off but this just popped up so I had to snag it

(looks like this same or similar chassis:)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So the two BEST VALUE DEALS for US buyers as of this moment are the Best Buy ASUS and the Amazon Acer Helios 300. They are also conveniently a 15" and 17" so you can decide what size you want.

ASUS G731GU-BI7N9 - $899 - 17.3" i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 512GB NVMe

Can you stretch to $899? This ASUS is on sale at Best Buy and is the best deal running right now.

i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti and a 512GB NVMe SSD for that price is too good to pass up.

Congrats. What did you buy?

It's overkill right now, if we are solely dealing with gaming, especially at just 1080p.

Well, the move to 7nm is going to pay off huge dividends for Nvidia''s next-gen GPUs, both in raw power and ray-tracing performance.

Just know that, judging by the past history of how Nvidia does prioritizes the desktop releases, the mobile release is usually 4-6 months after the desktop. it may literally be next October-ish before the cards make it to laptops.

So you may be hunkering down for a long wait if you have the resolve. We'll find out more when they actually announce the 3000 series though.

Well, someone with a super low budget kinda has no choice. A dedicated GPU as fast as the GTX 1050 below $450 is still a heck of a find.
Thanks to you and others in this thread helping us out. I ended up going with the 17" ASUS which I'll be picking up tomorrow. Keep checking back to see if anything jumped ahead and it seems to have remained the best bang for the buck under 1K.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

The killer Walmart deals are back with a new brand. This year it's EVOO instead of OP. Same tongfang chassis it looks like. I ordered the 17" 144hz IPS, i7 9750h, dual channel 16gb, nvme 1TB SSD and RTX 2060 for $999

So Walmart finally brought back the Tongfang, huh? And debuting it at a ridiculous BF sale price.

They should've blasted it on like Wednesday, probably would've sold out by now.

I got this one. Probably a little more money than others, but I liked the 144hz 17 inch (and the keyboard)
I am on a streak of four MSI gaming laptops, I have no qualms with paying extra because they are quality machines.

Thanks to you and others in this thread helping us out. I ended up going with the 17" ASUS which I'll be picking up tomorrow. Keep checking back to see if anything jumped ahead and it seems to have remained the best bang for the buck under 1K.
Well the Walmart exclusive that just dropped in the post above yours kinda changes the bang for buck discussion.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017

I reviewed the 17" OP laptop last year and it was awesome. I sold it off but this just popped up so I had to snag it

That's an INSANE deal...

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Next year I'm most likely going to get a new laptop. I'm mostly going to use it for basic stuff, creating creative work (video editing, photoshop) and some DJ'ing. I've had a Macbook since 2012, but it's pretty much dead. I would love to get a Macbook again, but the prices are crazy (even more then 2012).

I would love to play a few upcoming games, very casual though. Such as Warcraft III and Age of Empires IV. I don't have to play at the highest settings. What would the minimal specs be that you would guys recommend? i5? i7? 8GB RAM? Does the video card matter a lot?

Thanks!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Next year I'm most likely going to get a new laptop. I'm mostly going to use it for basic stuff, creating creative work (video editing, photoshop) and some DJ'ing. I've had a Macbook since 2012, but it's pretty much dead. I would love to get a Macbook again, but the prices are crazy (even more then 2012).

I would love to play a few upcoming games, very casual though. Such as Warcraft III and Age of Empires IV. I don't have to play at the highest settings. What would the minimal specs be that you would guys recommend? i5? i7? 8GB RAM? Does the video card matter a lot?

Thanks!
There is no reason to go less than an i7 + 1660 Ti combo right now.

There are a lot of fun things coming next year though, like 6 core Ryzen CPUs, so we'll see what is out when you are ready to buy.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So Walmart finally brought back the Tongfang, huh? And debuting it at a ridiculous BF sale price.

They should've blasted it on like Wednesday, probably would've sold out by now.

I am on a streak of four MSI gaming laptops, I have no qualms with paying extra because they are quality machines.

Well the Walmart exclusive that just dropped in the post above yours kinda changes the bang for buck discussion.

Yeah I noticed however Best Buy threw on 18 months same as cash. Makes it go down easier. Otherwise would switch for the 2060.

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
Pickup a Dell 3590 here in Brazil, whith the 1650 4gb. Its the only choice i have right now. I think for the game that gonna play right now its better than on the base model console that i have, and the price for the games on steam is a Steal compared.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Pickup a Dell 3590 here in Brazil, whith the 1650 4gb. Its the only choice i have right now. I think for the game that gonna play right now its better than on the base model console that i have, and the price for the games on steam is a Steal compared.
Yeah, you have to look using different rules because of the taxes.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Technology in Brazil is so dang expensive, I understand.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile

That sucks, since you can find the best versions of the G3 3590 in Chile (i5/i7 with a 1660ti Max-Q)

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Can I expect a 2080 max-q to play at 60+ FPS at 1080p for the next 2-3 years on high/ultra settings? Found a really great price locally and want to pull the trigger

Oct 27, 2017
London
Damn, got the chance to finally test my new Y540 laptop and undervolting as much as possible made a big difference to my temperatures. Was playing Outer Worlds intensively and pre undervolt on balanced the temps got to 85-95C and now I'm getting 70-80C temperatures. Definitely runs cooler than before, am very pleased with the results. My settings for CPU undervolt was 0.150mV in both CPU and cache in line with the figures that laptop reviewers have been using.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else here has this issue where after you connect a laptop running Windows 10 to a monitor and then close the lid, the framerate of the whole laptops drops? I have this issue from the very moment I bought my laptop half a year ago. I found old topic on Nvidia forums where people were complaining about it. Apparently, it is Nvidia GPU fault because it cant switch between integrated GPU and dedicated GPU properly with external display connected. Some people found out that restarting some drivers fixes the issue ( didnt help in my case). I was wondering if anyone found any solution for this. Restarting a laptop while it is already closed fixes the issue for me, but its annoying when you have to do it everytime.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My GE65 Raider 9SF shipped. Finally! I'll have it early next week.

Can't wait for that super overkill 240 Hz screen. I wonder if I can even fill up the 32 GB of RAM lol.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, got the chance to finally test my new Y540 laptop and undervolting as much as possible made a big difference to my temperatures. Was playing Outer Worlds intensively and pre undervolt on balanced the temps got to 85-95C and now I'm getting 70-80C temperatures. Definitely runs cooler than before, am very pleased with the results. My settings for CPU undervolt was 0.150mV in both CPU and cache in line with the figures that laptop reviewers have been using.

I just got a Lenovo Laptop and this whole undervolting is new to me. Is there a place you can point me to that's reliable for the lenovo series?

Also thanks everyone in this thread for helping me choose a laptop, I would probably have made a poorer choice by myself. In the end just a friend and I ended up going for it and got a Lenovo Legion Y740, 17.3 FHD IPS 144Hz, i7-9750H, RTX 2070 MaxQ, 16GB, 512GB SSD. If i can get 3 solid years out of it that would be great. Is a fan recommended or just use the laptop as is?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a Lenovo Laptop and this whole undervolting is new to me. Is there a place you can point me to that's reliable for the lenovo series?

Also thanks everyone in this thread for helping me choose a laptop, I would probably have made a poorer choice by myself. In the end just a friend and I ended up going for it and got a Lenovo Legion Y740, 17.3 FHD IPS 144Hz, i7-9750H, RTX 2070 MaxQ, 16GB, 512GB SSD. If i can get 3 solid years out of it that would be great. Is a fan recommended or just use the laptop as is?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
a

I think you'll get way more.

I mean my 6-year old machine was an i7 4750HQ or something with a 980M and was still holding up fine. Main reason I replaced it was because it was just totally unstable and froze all the time randomly and was old too. But if it didn't do that I'd still be perfectly happy.

I expect that combo of CPU/GPU to last until the machine breaks personally. We'll see, but I feel like they go longer than you expect.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here has this issue where after you connect a laptop running Windows 10 to a monitor and then close the lid, the framerate of the whole laptops drops? I have this issue from the very moment I bought my laptop half a year ago. I found old topic on Nvidia forums where people were complaining about it. Apparently, it is Nvidia GPU fault because it cant switch between integrated GPU and dedicated GPU properly with external display connected. Some people found out that restarting some drivers fixes the issue ( didnt help in my case). I was wondering if anyone found any solution for this. Restarting a laptop while it is already closed fixes the issue for me, but its annoying when you have to do it everytime.

I noticed it too.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Are any of the laptops on Amazon's cyber Monday stand outs? I'm asking for a friend, he's looking at the Asus TUF FX505DT.

I'm assuming his budget is probably $900 and I think he wants to stick to laptops.

Coverly

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks. That was actually really helpful. I'll try it out even though I only really play a few hours a week, every bit helps.

I think you'll get way more.

I mean my 6-year old machine was an i7 4750HQ or something with a 980M and was still holding up fine. Main reason I replaced it was because it was just totally unstable and froze all the time randomly and was old too. But if it didn't do that I'd still be perfectly happy.

I expect that combo of CPU/GPU to last until the machine breaks personally. We'll see, but I feel like they go longer than you expect.

That's good to hear. I had a gaming pc previously, I think with a 970 or something similar that lasted for way more than I thought it was going to be relevant until I sold it a while back.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm leaning towards the Acer as a laptop for myself and two kids (a 13-year old and a 9 year-old). With mostly games like Overwatch, Minecraft and Roblox with occasional "current" AAA games and office/school work, about how long would this laptop last? I know I can't expect this to be a great machine for 5+ years, but I also hope it doesn't feel obsolete next year.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Are any of the laptops on Amazon's cyber Monday stand outs? I'm asking for a friend, he's looking at the Asus TUF FX505DT.

I'm assuming his budget is probably $900 and I think he wants to stick to laptops.
I'm enjoying the 505DT(edit - I got the DV) the one with the 2060 6GB right?

The only worry I have is the Ryzen 7 CPU and how long its gonna hold up. I'm still in the process of transferring my games but I get solid 60fps all max 1080p in The Surge, Sekiro (I had to add a 60hz monitor option in CCU because it was defaulting to 48hz. Annoyingly the monitor only has 48hz and 120hz listed as supported modes but works fine now) GTA5 all max I was getting like 50fps but it has some pretty intensive settings that exceeded 6GB video memory. On all High setting I'm getting like 80-100fps. Destiny 2 all max 60 etc. Not tried any 4K stuff yet.

The only wierd one so far is Battlefield V. It's hitting 60 on high but drops to like 50 randomly but it does it on max, high and medium. Tried changing the direct x mode, future frame rendering, toning down motion blur and other settings but it is so wierd it works great for one map then the next map will shoot the fps to fuck. I had the same problem on my old laptop too that could run BF1 medium solid 60fps but BFV on low was still all over the place.

In general I like the laptop. Speakers are pretty tinny, could have done with 1 more USB port I use a 4gang usb for minor stuff and I put a 2TB ssd in the sata bay for more space. Also I hate clickpads and its got a wonky one. I like hownthe headphone jack is 1 input but the 3 tip for headphone and mic

EDIT* Actually just looked it up and I got the DV model with the 2060. Similar enough cards I think but the bigger difference is the DT I think has a single channel 16GB RAM whereas my DV came with dual channel 8GB. I've never had a single channel RAM before but people do say it makes a lot of difference so that's something to note.

Last edited:

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Why are there barely any reviews of the 9750H / 2070 / 32 GB / 1 TB M2 version of the GE65 raider 9SF? It almost seems like the laptop I ordered doesn't exist lmao

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Lenovo y540 with
16 GB( 8+8)
500 SSD
i5 9300

1000 USD

hope I made i good purchase :)

Battery life is not good. Is it like that with Gaming laptops?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battery life is not good. Is it like that with Gaming laptops?
Not necessarily. Some gaming laptops have great battery life while not gaming. It all depends if dGPU is turned off when not gaming, as well as battery capacity. I have a gaming laptop that has about 6 hours of battery life.

Battery life when gaming is bad on all laptops and it's not even recommended way to play games. You should always be plugged in.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily. Some gaming laptops have great battery life while not gaming. It all depends if dGPU is turned off when not gaming, as well as battery capacity. I have a gaming laptop that has about 6 hours of battery life.

Battery life when gaming is bad on all laptops and it's not even recommended way to play games. You should always be plugged in.

ah, much appreciated :)
GPU is not turned off no.

Spec and price, was it good?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am a bit tempted by that 1650 maxq balde stealth. I would actually need a ultrabook-sized laptop now and not a full sized anymore, and gaming is a plus. I am rocking a Surface Pro 3 for that purpose at the moment but the battery is nearly dead. Those ice-lake Iris chips can actually game a little bit as far as I researched but obviously not as "good" as a 1650. I like the Surface experience tho, foldable and touchscreen etc.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
Last night I purchased the Omen 17t for 1100.
i7 9750h

Should be a decent upgrade from my Asus fx503vm
i5 7300hq
1060 3gb

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Compare specs to post 2852. K. Jack declared it the best deal of the year for black friday. If they're in line, then probably did well :)

Just checked, same store have now the same PC for the same price only with i7 9750 and 1000SSD

Guess who made a reservation for a buy and a return tomorrow :D

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a laptop to do some work with VMs *and* do some gaming when I travel. I want it to be similar or better than my 4 year old workstation in performance. Here are the specs for a P73 that I built recently, but I'm hoping somebody here can do better than I did. Suggestions on what I should change are more than welcome. This would run around 4500 CAD.

• Processor : Intel® Core™ i9-9880H with vPro™ (2.30GHz, up to 4.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16MB Cache)
  • Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64
  • Operating System Language : Windows 10 Pro 64 English
  • Display : 17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, anti-glare, 400 nits, Dolby Vision™ HDR
  • Memory : 128GB (32GB x 4) DDR4 2666MHz
  • Graphic Card : NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000 8GB
  • Camera : IR & 720p HD camera with ThinkShutter
  • Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad - US English
  • Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
  • Near Field Communication : NFC
  • Pointing Device : Fingerprint
  • TPM Setting : Enabled Discrete TPM2.0
  • First Hard Drive : 1TB Solid State Drive, M.2 PCIe-NVMe, Opal
  • Storage Total Capacity : 1TB
  • System Expansion Slots : Smart Card Reader
  • Battery : 6 Cell Li-Polymer, 99Wh
  • Power Cord : 230W AC Adapter
  • Wireless : Intel® AX200 Wi-Fi 6 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0
  • vPro Certified Model : vPro Certified
  • Display Panel : 17.3" UHD(3840 x 2160) IPS, 400nits, Anti-Glare, No Touch, IR-Camera, Mic, WLAN

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
PSA : Do try to avoid aluminium laptops with a black coating (aka way too many gaming laptops). The tiniest scratches are made so visible because it's silver underneath, and it's driving me insane. Not to mention they're fingerprint magnets.
Standard aluminium option for my Aero wasn't available in my country when I purchased, but I really wish it had been now.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Holy shit 122 FPS average on Apex Legends MAXED OUT? And that's the 16 GB RAM version, mine's the 32 GB one (16x2 dual channel) I can't fucking wait for this laptop to arrive. I have to set that game to Low/Medium for the adaptive resolution feature to not murder my rendering resolution when targetting 100 FPS on my current desktop 6700K + 1070

I'm gonna have an upgrade in performance while also finally having portability which I desperately need. I'm super excited if you haven't noticed lol.

Also dat 240 Hz screen, I know the jump isn't gonna be as big since I'm coming from 144 Hz but still, it's gotta be amazing

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

Holy shit 122 FPS average on Apex Legends MAXED OUT? And that's the 16 GB RAM version, mine's the 32 GB one (16x2 dual channel) I can't fucking wait for this laptop to arrive. I have to set that game to Low/Medium for the adaptive resolution feature to not murder my rendering resolution when targetting 100 FPS on my current desktop 6700K + 1070

I'm gonna have an upgrade in performance while also finally having portability which I desperately need. I'm super excited if you haven't noticed lol.

Also dat 240 Hz screen, I know the jump isn't gonna be as big since I'm coming from 144 Hz but still, it's gotta be amazing

What resolution? Posts like this are hard to decipher with no reposition mentioned 🙂

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What resolution? Posts like this are hard to decipher with no reposition mentioned 🙂
I thought that was obvious since this laptop only comes with 1 resolution (the only screen config that can change is 144 Hz or 240 Hz). 1920x1080

also I bought the 2070 version, there's also a 2060 one apparently