• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Guys right now i have a laptop whith 940m. I am thinking on upgrade, my money right now is for a 1050 but i am thinking to wait more an pick up a better one, what do you say to me? I am from Brazil, so its expensive this things here right now
Buying electronics in Brazil comes with insane prices, I understand. If waiting can possibly get you a better deal on even something with a 1060 Ti or 1650 it will be worth it.

That's what I've read from reviews that it's inverted. I'm leaning towards the Y740 as well and just waiting for BF to hit for any deals.
At full price I would not buy a GS65 but I see the one you linked is pretty much $500 off.

I am a big MSI guy, my last three laptops were from them and I have a GT76 (i7-9700K + RTX 2080) in the mail coming to me now, but the build quality on that chassis just isn't as premium as its price when it's supposed to be competing with Razer Blades. I'd much rather have a GE65 or GE75 than the GS series.

I would take the Lenovo if you are teetering between the two.

The flipped motherboard is the icing on the cake. I have never been about that full teardown, motherboard removal life. Just to add an SSD? Eff that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fwiw I got a y740 during that ridiculous tax day sale earlier this year and I've really happy with it, but the keyboard layout took a little while to get used to - there's an extra column of function keys on the left hand side. Still, ton of hardware for the price.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
The feedback is really appreciated! I'm about to throw down on the Y740 after some more research and the opinions on here. I'm visiting my folks rn and brought over my SNES Classic and a monitor. It's real fun, but I'm already thinking how it's gonna be to have a good laptop for modern stuff to play. Thanks y'all!

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
The feedback is really appreciated! I'm about to throw down on the Y740 after some more research and the opinions on here. I'm visiting my folks rn and brought over my SNES Classic and a monitor. It's real fun, but I'm already thinking how it's gonna be to have a good laptop for modern stuff to play. Thanks y'all!

I posted my impressions a while back (sorry on mobile right now so you'll have to search yourself) but the main downsides of this laptop aside from the aforementioned keyboard layout are the tiny battery (and corresponding short battery life), and the gigantic power brick. I like mine but just make sure you can live with that...

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A Lenovo Y540 with 9th gen i7 hexacore and 1660Ti and 16GB of memory, how long do you guys think it becomes obsolete (as in, it can't play next gen games)?

52club

Oct 27, 2017
A Lenovo Y540 with 9th gen i7 hexacore and 1660Ti and 16GB of memory, how long do you guys think it becomes obsolete (as in, it can't play next gen games)?

No one really knows, but if I had to guess that will be relatively close to the new consoles performance wise minus the RTX cores. I'd say the 1660ti is the best value at this moment. It does really to tbd how it ages.

Oct 25, 2017

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If my laptop has a Thunderbolt port, is getting something like a Samsung T5 a viable way to store additional games without straight up opening my laptop and upgrading the SSD? I may look at upgrading the internal SSD later (if it's possible) once I've rode out my retail warranty in 2 years, but until then, I kind of want more than the 512GB it comes equipped with. Recent games like CODMW and RDR2 just eat it all up. Are data transfer rates good enough to game from on modern games?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
If my laptop has a Thunderbolt port, is getting something like a Samsung T5 a viable way to store additional games without straight up opening my laptop and upgrading the SSD? I may look at upgrading the internal SSD later (if it's possible) once I've rode out my retail warranty in 2 years, but until then, I kind of want more than the 512GB it comes equipped with. Recent games like CODMW and RDR2 just eat it all up. Are data transfer rates good enough to game from on modern games?
More than enough, yes.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Got my laptop I ordered from Best Buy, and I've had some time to mess around with it.

Got this when it was $900, and so far - I'm happy with it! Battery life is better than I expected, 5 hours browsing the web which is great, keyboard is really really good, and they even included what I'd need to transfer my HDD from my old laptop to this one in the box. Tested a few games, and everything I throw at it runs at 1080p/60 max settings. Good stuff.

Oh, yeah - both DIMM slots were filled, so the config was 2x8GB for dual channel. Good stuff.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Been looking around at 17.3 laptops for a couple months and this is the best deal I've seen so far. Wondering if I should bite now or wait a few more weeks until the holidays. https://www.amazon.com/Sager-NP7876...ager+17.3+Gaming+Laptop&qid=1573420017&sr=8-3

Sager NP7876 17.3 Inches Thin Bezel FHD 144Hz Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB DDR6, 32GB RAM, 500GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Home
by Sager
4.7 out of 5 stars 67 ratings

$1,499.00 + Free Shipping
It hurts nothing to wait for Black Friday.

Are you just uncomfortable doing it? Opening laptops doesn't void warranties in 2019.

The T5 is more expensive than NVMe SSDs now.

Got my laptop I ordered from Best Buy, and I've had some time to mess around with it.

Got this when it was $900, and so far - I'm happy with it! Battery life is better than I expected, 5 hours browsing the web which is great, keyboard is really really good, and they even included what I'd need to transfer my HDD from my old laptop to this one in the box. Tested a few games, and everything I throw at it runs at 1080p/60 max settings. Good stuff.

Oh, yeah - both DIMM slots were filled, so the config was 2x8GB for dual channel. Good stuff.
When was that $900? Amazing deal.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Are you just uncomfortable doing it? Opening laptops doesn't void warranties in 2019.

The T5 is more expensive than NVMe SSDs now.

Oh, nope, I'm not uncomfortable swapping it out myself -- just a strong assumption that I wasn't allowed to open my laptop and swap any components without voiding my warranty. I'll be sure to actually look into it now rather than outright assume. Thanks for the reality check! I'll also check NVMe prices, too.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'll get money soon (hopefully before the end of the month) and I think I've settled on a laptop: MSI GE63 Raider RGB 9SF-627ES
Specs are i7-9750H/32GB RAM/1TB SSD/RTX 2070. 1080p 144 Hz screen

What do you guys think? I really want 32 GB of RAM for future proofing. Also I saw other models with a 500 GB SSD and no more storage at all and there's no way I'm gonna have a 500 GB SSD and nothing more. Non-gaming related data will mostly be on an external HDD but still games are starting to get huge so I need at least 1 TB of SSD.

Regular price is 2099€ but since I'm shipping it to the canary islands and we have lower taxes I'll actually pay around 1800€

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Oh, nope, I'm not uncomfortable swapping it out myself -- just a strong assumption that I wasn't allowed to open my laptop and swap any components without voiding my warranty. I'll be sure to actually look into it now rather than outright assume. Thanks for the reality check! I'll also check NVMe prices, too.
Yeah like there was a debate on the MSI forum of Notebookreview, because of the warranty sticker. So I emailed MSI and got official word that it's really there to scare the inexperienced away, but they would only void the warranty if you opened it and broke something. Most every manufacturer has adopted the same policy.

For your case (Razer) I actually found a CS response to an inquiry about this very question:

"Hi Redacted,

I understand that you were told upgrading the SSD of your laptop would void its warranty over a call in January. I do not see that call on record, but to clarify, the act of upgrading the SSD itself would not void the warranty of your laptop. Rather, if the act has caused damage to your laptop, that would then void the warranty (considered as customer-induced damage). This is the reason why we highly discourage the self-disassembly of laptops. Unfortunately, we do not have any upgrade services for our laptops.

If you have further inquiries, feel free to get in touch again, or call us at 1-855-872-5233 between 9.00am to 5.00pm PST and provide us your case number.

Sincerely, Alex Razer - CSM"

So yeah, don't break anything while you are in there, no problem.

As far as SSD options, the Sabrent Rocket is a popular choice right now, if you are looking for a 2TB for $250.

I'll get money soon (hopefully before the end of the month) and I think I've settled on a laptop: MSI GE63 Raider RGB 9SF-627ES
Specs are i7-9750H/32GB RAM/1TB SSD/RTX 2070. 1080p 144 Hz screen

What do you guys think? I really want 32 GB of RAM for future proofing. Also I saw other models with a 500 GB SSD and no more storage at all and there's no way I'm gonna have a 500 GB SSD and nothing more. Non-gaming related data will mostly be on an external HDD but still games are starting to get huge so I need at least 1 TB of SSD.

Regular price is 2099€ but since I'm shipping it to the canary islands and we have lower taxes I'll actually pay around 1800€
The GE63 is a good machine.

I got curious and looked around some of the sites in Spain, from where I assume you are ordering. Did you see the updated GE65 Raider 9SF-292XES, which is also listed at 2099€? It has the same specs, but is updated with a 240Hz diplay, has much slimmer bezels, and actually smaller footprint/weighs less.

GE65 MSI Page

Historically, are Black Friday deals worth waiting for?
It certainly shouldn't hurt to wait a week, unless you see a great pre-BF deal that you are worried about missing..

Prices aren't going to go up after all.

Last edited:

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I got curious and looked around some of the sites in Spain, from where I assume you are ordering. Did you see the updated GE65 Raider 9SF-292XES, which is also listed at 2099€? It has the same specs, but is updated with a 240Hz diplay, has much slimmer bezels, and actually smaller footprint/weighs less.

GE65 MSI Page
Holy shit, THANK YOU. I had no idea that model existed. Yep, that's my future laptop. THANKS!!!!

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
All those Hz and no mention of freesync or gsync in the Amazon page. Be a shame if that were true. Also no HDR but I guess that's mostly a gimmick on a laptop anyway I think?
Having Gsync would be nice but not necessary. Any suggestions for another laptop with the same specs (including the 32 GB of RAM and 1 TB SSD, also 240 Hz) but with Gsync?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Having Gsync would be nice but not necessary. Any suggestions for another laptop with the same specs (including the 32 GB of RAM and 1 TB SSD, also 240 Hz) but with Gsync?

Have you used a laptop with it before? I don't know just going by some of the replies of those who have it always come across like the best thing ever. I think even K. Jack here very highly values it (though I guess it could be scenario dependent since it does drain battery so if you're primary use of the laptop is not someone with power and it can't be disabled that could be a drawback). I'll admit I've never had the luxury of using it, but I've read countless threads on it, and people think it's going to be a pretty big deal next gen with HDTVs like the OLED LG one supporting 120Hz 4k HDR gsync.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Have you used a laptop with it before? I don't know just going by some of the replies of those who have it always come across like the best thing ever. I think even K. Jack here very highly values it. I'll admit I've never had the luxury of using it, but I've read countless threads on it, and people think it's going to be a pretty big deal next gen with HDTVs like the OLED LG one supporting 120Hz 4k HDR gsync.
I have a 144 Hz monitor with FreeSync on my current desktop PC, I know how good it is. But my gf has a laptop with a 120 Hz screen and although I *can* notice the tearing on it with vsync disabled, it doesn't bother me as much as it does with 60 Hz screens. I imagine that with a 240 Hz screen I'll notice it even less.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
In the market for a decent gaming laptop for my gf. Any good Black Friday deals going on in Europe right now? In the ballpark of 1200 euro.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Have you used a laptop with it before? I don't know just going by some of the replies of those who have it always come across like the best thing ever. I think even K. Jack here very highly values it (though I guess it could be scenario dependent since it does drain battery so if you're primary use of the laptop is not someone with power and it can't be disabled that could be a drawback). I'll admit I've never had the luxury of using it, but I've read countless threads on it, and people think it's going to be a pretty big deal next gen with HDTVs like the OLED LG one supporting 120Hz 4k HDR gsync.

Having had my 240Hz no-VRR Razer for a couple of weeks, 240Hz seems to basically just brute force screen tearing away. I'm really sensitive to screen tearing and was super wary about the lack of VRR support with this laptop, but as long as I have it set to 240Hz and turn vsync off, it seems refreshing at that high of a rate does away with screen tearing before I can really even perceive that it's there. I have no doubt screen tearing IS occurring but since the screen is constantly refreshing at absurd rates I just never see it -- no matter what framerate, the screen can just push the next frame and then the next after that super fast so the traditional image break that causes screen tearing isn't nearly as pronounced, and to my eye pretty much impercetible.

That said, I do think 120-144Hz G/Freesync is a much more safe road if you want to ensure image stability, but as of yet, I've not seen a ton of screen tearing with a 240Hz screen.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Are any of the black Friday deals for gaming laptops any good? Looking for an entry laptop, which I plan to also do some video editing on. Any recommendations?

MisterLuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a gaming laptop, any decent laptops that's within my budget between $600-$800
If anyone knows any good deals for one on black friday please let met know
I know it's better to build a PC to play games but I can't get one at this time

Last edited:

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here in Era have owned an Acer Predator Helios 300 that comes with 9th i7, 16gigs of ram in dual channel, GTX 1660ti desktop graphics card with an SSD and a 144 hz panel? what are your thoughts? Also what does it mean undervolting your cpu, asking this since predator helios 300 comes undervolted out of the box

Oct 27, 2017
London
Does undervolting void warranties? Worried about doing it since I got a lenovo y540 for £880 after student discount and a coupon code. I don't earn anywhere near enough to go buy another one if I wrecked my laptop.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
My regular laptop died and I'm now strongly considering paying a little more for a gaming laptop. Budget approximately 1K although I'd pay a little more if it was a crazy good deal. Prefer to stay within that otherwise. Want SSD. Want something that'll be capable when AOE4 comes out in a couple years. Primary gaming use will be for strategy games. If price is close, Best Buy a better option due to having a BB card with same as cash.

Also would prefer a bigger laptop to have a bigger screen and number pad.

What would you all suggest I look at?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I just ordered the 15" y740... hope i love it haha. My current system is on the brink of dying - it crashes after about 1-2 hours of uptime now. It's like 6 years old though, maybe more. Shame it is going cause otherwise I'd probably have gotten a few more years out of it, 980M still performs well enough for the most part.

Excited for the new laptop though - don't have an HDR TV yet (waiting a little longer, though the c9 is tempting I think I can hold out a bit more), and never had a g-sync device, and the laptop ticks both boxes. People have said the brightness on the laptop is pretty outstanding (500 nits is pretty rare from my research). Actually never had a monitor over 60hz either, so 144hz will also be new. Will be nice to not constantly have to hard reset the machine all the time, but between the HDR, gsync and 144hz all being totally new for me, should be a really nice device!

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Just returned a Razer Blade 15 advanced model because it had a dead pixel toward the middle of the screen (not living with that!). Seemed like a nice laptop. Keyboard felt a little mushy, which surprised me as I had heard the advanced model had a good keyboard.

Will be looking for a Razer Blade 15 base or MSI GS65 deal this coming week I think. The advanced model keyboard is pretty bleh and I don't care for Window Hello, so there doesn't seem to be a huge reason to go with the Advanced.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I have a 144 Hz monitor with FreeSync on my current desktop PC, I know how good it is. But my gf has a laptop with a 120 Hz screen and although I *can* notice the tearing on it with vsync disabled, it doesn't bother me as much as it does with 60 Hz screens. I imagine that with a 240 Hz screen I'll notice it even less.
I do value G-Sync, but as a cherry on top more than something a laptop have to have to be a good buy.

I have actually just transitioned to a laptop without GS for the first time in like 6 years myself. I had the MSI GT72/GT73, both with G-Sync, and I just received the GT76 which lacks it. I've been gaming on the 240Hz screen with V-sync completely disabled and haven't seen a single tear. The gameplay on this display is fluid as fuck man, wow. Been playing The Surge 2 and it feels incredible.

Also, I can always plug into a VRR monitor or TV whenever I feel like it so that's not an issue either.

In the market for a decent gaming laptop for my gf. Any good Black Friday deals going on in Europe right now? In the ballpark of 1200 euro.
Depends entirely on your country and I'll need some links to online store so I can check.

$900 is probably my max.
There will be some i7 + 1660 Ti machines available around Black Friday.

Anyone here in Era have owned an Acer Predator Helios 300 that comes with 9th i7, 16gigs of ram in dual channel, GTX 1660ti desktop graphics card with an SSD and a 144 hz panel? what are your thoughts? Also what does it mean undervolting your cpu, asking this since predator helios 300 comes undervolted out of the box
derFeef had one.

Undervolting is just lowering the voltage being sent to it so it runs cooler.

Does undervolting void warranties? Worried about doing it since I got a lenovo y540 for £880 after student discount and a coupon code. I don't earn anywhere near enough to go buy another one if I wrecked my laptop.
No, it doesn't, because undervolting literally cannot damage anything. And no you can't accidentally overvolt by accident, because your CPU is locked and won't allow it.