• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm down to these three, thoughts?

Sennheiser Game Zero - $170
518Kly7aaaL.jpg

Here you go

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

$119.99 MassdropxSennheiser pc37x. Pretty much the same as the g4me series but has a detachable cord. easily the best buy you can get IMO.

MD-36678_20170313143203_a8aa761033d23ddd.jpg

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Philips SHP9500S + Vmoda boom mic and you're set.

I made a headphones recommendation thread here a few months ago and this suggestion came up a few times. Went with it and couldn't be happier, and I paid disgusting UK prices. Apparently it's a lot cheaper in the US.

What I really like is you can use them separately. Got a Skype interview or something? Just take the mic out and plug that in. Wanna just use the headphones? Take out the mic and plug the regular aux cable in.

Also as someone who never used to wear headphones because they would always hurt or feel uncomfortable after 10 mins, the SHP9500S is the one for me, can wear them for hours at a time no problem.

VeuillezPLP

Oct 28, 2017
France
The Sennheiser Game Zero is amazing but you need a good gaming Motherboard in order to get it to work correctly.
If it's not the case, you need a DAC for the 50 Ω.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I am sure with PC soundcards these work well but from my experience I have found that headphones that plus directly in the the ps4 controller for sound don't go as loud or sound as good as say headphones that use optical.

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Anyone have any tips for the issue I posted? Headphones are working great, but now when I unplug them (on PS4 or XBO) I get no sound back to my Onkyo set-up. I only get sound if I turn the TV speakers on. It's really odd.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
For the mid-range, you aren't going to beat the HyperX Cloud II. It outperforms everything in its price range in terms of sound, isolation, build quality, and comfort, and matches headsets that cost twice as much. It's really the only choice unless you're going super high-end, at which point I'd say just get some V-Modas and the Boompro mic and call it a day.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered replacement pads for my Sony golds. A lot of people have had problems with them cracking but I've had mine since they launched 4 years ago and they are fine and sound great. Works as a PC mic with a splitter too, or wirelessly just plugging in the dongle to the PC too.

They just released a new model. Not sure if there are reviews on it yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to throw something out there that many people don't see often but actually have been perhaps the most impressive yet. I have gone around the block with a50s, arctis 7s, seins 558s , beyerdynamic dt-880s. My favorite though for gaming are Bose qc25s with the Android cable, the noise isolation actually makes a huge difference for picking up noise direction and other things you may have missed.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure with PC soundcards these work well but from my experience I have found that headphones that plus directly in the the ps4 controller for sound don't go as loud or sound as good as say headphones that use optical.
That depends on impedance and how efficient the phones are. The port on the ps4 controller won't be very powerful. You would probably need to use more sensitive headphones or IEMs if you really wanted to use that port. That said it'll still be affected by Bluetooth compression.

Compare that to optical which is just a digital signal going into a processing box/dacamp provided by the headset manufacturer, where the amp power will be fine tuned since its likely specially made for that headset.

You could get a similar result by buying headphones and buying a seperate usb dac/amp. (Higher quality audio still but would cost more)

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Looks terrible and super gimmicky, especially when the LCD series looks so good.

Audeze are crowdfunding this just for free marketing? The heck.
I don't think it's just for publicity. As far as I remember reading, they did it to gauge interest since they haven't really done anything like it before.

Unfortunately the surround on them doesn't work on consoles as of yet, which kind of put me off.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017

Blitzhex

Jan 1, 2018
They're clearly being marketed to a different crowd. Say what you will about 3D sound/headtracking, but I found it to be interesting.

It's getting really good impressions, too: https://gizmodo.com/audeze-wants-to-change-how-you-think-about-gaming-headp-1823762092

$400 retail, bunch of new things audeze hasn't done before and knowing audeze build quality, I'd never suggest this over a $200 akg k7xx/hd650/ad900x for gaming. You'd prefer the openness and comfort of those headphones for long gaming sessions. The mobius just looks like it would heat up your ears very quick.

I'm interested to hear some impressions once its out tho. A big planar magnetic driver in a not too big closed headphone. It's what I wish the t50rp was.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
So, remember I'm replacing my Sony Gold's...and was satisfied with their sound...so I really don't think I need some audiophile level headphones...but this is what I'm looking at in my Amazon cart right now...

Hyper X cloud II $87
Cloud Revolver S $12
Cloud Alpha $99
Sennheiser Game Zero $155
Sennheiser GSP300 $84
Steelseries Arctis 7 $119

At those prices, what's my best option?...the idea of wireless is tempting because I've gotten used to it with the Gold's...if I go wired I imagine I'll use it exclusively plugged into the controller...I'm not particularly interested in a 10-12 ft cable running across my room while I'm playing...

I would accept suggestions for dedicated headphones + vmoda boom pro if the sound quality would be significantly better than the above options...

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming headphones are overpriced, and poor quality.

Get headphones + modmic. Cheaper, and higher quality. Audio technica adh700 is amazing for first person shooters. There is also plenty of sennheiser that is excellent.

If you go with a pair of game headphones get sennheiser game one's or hero's. It's basically the sennheiser 558 with a microphone
I have an Audio Technica as well(MX40) and I love it!

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've just purchased the Arctis Pro Wireless, which at $330 exceeded my budget by quite a lot. I had also purchased the Sennheiser HD58x's but need to wait till July for their shipment.

416414.350.350.jpg

I'll be interested to see when I've got both if I'll opt to remain with the wireless gamer headset or double down on the Sennheiser's. Given I'll be looking to get a Modmic and amp if going down the Sennhesiers route it'll be a similar price.

AI7B6128a_copy_small_crop_dark_grille_20171207134853.jpg

Anticipate it'll be a choice between wireless convenience and sidetone (which I adore with closed headphones) or superior quality and better gaming soundstage with open headphones.

MuzikFreq

Oct 26, 2017
Steel Series Arctis5 via usb. Lowest latency and great sound and comfort.

How do i know about the latency? Project Diva games had some wonky audio delay vs this now i can get it closer on timing with the ds4 also plugged in.
Also it just flat out works in so many ways.
Want some speakers? Plug in a cable into the headset and bam speakers. Want to just plug into the controller? Has an adapter plug for it. Want to play music from an external source? Thw audio out also is an audio in. Want to plug into pc? No probs.

Honestly it is the swiss army knife of headsets

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The HyperX Cloud is the best balance of price/performance. Mic quality is solid too.

I've had mine for 2 years and I still use them every day to play games, listen to music, and chat with friends over TeamSpeak/Discord.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get why so many headsets go the usb only route. All of the sennheisers are standard plugs that you can plug into your pc, laptop, or Xbox one.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No you aren't. It's just artificial sound doctoring in a 2 channel headset where you would be better off sticking with a natural stereo output.
That's not entirely true.

There are two ways to do virtual surround correctly on PC at least. One is to actually have a soundcard that takes in 5.1 audio and does the processing onboard. That's usually how it's done on consoles where you plug an optical cable into the soundcard. The other was is with an APO that basically is a DSP implemented in software. When an APO is in use, games that ask for an audio device are given a virtual 5.1/7.1 surround device that they stream to, even if the soundcard itself only has stereo audio. Both cases involve converting a surround signal to stereo, not dumb processing on stereo audio to make it "sound" like surround.

A lot of the issues people have with virtual surround sound bad is either they're playing non-surround audio or they're using a program that does not output surround audio even if the source is surround. Some apps and games we've tested do downmixing before sending it to the audio device so the virtual surround never gets the actual surround stream, but a stereo downmixed one.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
The Sennheiser HD 598 are the best headphones I've ever used for gaming. I've gone through a LOT of different headphones and gaming headsets, and nothing touches them. The clarity of sound is amazing, and the sound stage is HUGE which makes them phenomenal for gaming. They are open back though, so something to keep in mind.

For $100 or below headphone+mic solution, there are basically two options in my opinion, through all of my travels:

1. Closed back: Hyperx cloud II

2. Open back: shp9500 & v-moda boom pro

The cloud II are a rebrand of one of the best headphones under $150, while the shp9500 are the value King of all eternity. You can find the 9500s new for $50 US and they sound as good as headphones that cost $200. I've owned several more expensive headphones that are put to shame by these babies. Incredible comfort too.

If you need closed back all in one solution and a budget of $100 or less, buy the cloud II and be done. They are probably still my favorite headphone that I own despite having ones over twice the price. They are extremely fun to listen to and have great imaging. Anyone who buys them as a gaming headset just entered into beginner audiophile territory.

For wireless, I recently got a pair of cloud flights and they are great. They are the best sounding wireless headphones I've ever used, about 90% as good as the cloud II sound wise but no wires. Very comfy too . Only work on pc and ps4 though, no Xbox it switch. Because they sound so similar to the cloud 2, and since I don't need wireless really I will likely return or sell them . Still can recommend them fully.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone tryed the arctis pro with gamedac (wired)?
Thinking of grabbing a pair.
I haven't, but to be honest their price is absurd. You could but a pair of hd 598 or hd6xx and the Sennheiser gsx 1000 DAC for cheaper and blow them away. They are still the same headphones as the arctis 7 (mediocre) with that crazy "gaming" DAC.

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if anyone has any advice about a mic for Bose quiet comfort 25s.

I'd prefer not to splash out on new headphones, so if I get the Android cable for my Bose, will it work and is the mic quality good enough for communication?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Arctis Pro Wireless- Best PS4 wireless headphones I've ever used... They're insanely loud and have custom EQ's. I tried and returned Sony Gold 18' and Hyper X Cloud Flight. The Gold's have super low high volume and is easily drowned out by outside sound. The Cloud Flights have great balance but don't get loud enough.. I also own the Hyperx Cloud Alpha, by themself they are great, pair them with a good PC/Laptop dac and they're amazing.

That being said... my ATH-AD900X are the best pure sounding headphones I own.. Just amazing! they bring open world games to life.
Honorable mention; Sony WH1000XM2/1000X, noise canceling and surprisingly good game sound; can work with spatial sound.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Sennheiser HD 598 SR

41bMMAXlJZL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

these sound miles better than the other "gaming" headsets I've owned like turtle beach XP300, Astro a50, and Logitech 933. these also come with an inline mic option if you dont want to use a mod mic.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Era - is there a OT for Headphones/Headsets?

I've had A40s and upgraded to A50s a couple of years back. Excellent gaming headsets.

Anyways, I want something more versatile that I can use with my TV also. As well as out and about.

I am thinking the Bose QC 35 II.

My concern is - will I 'lose' virtual surround on the Xbox? As they will have to be wired to the controller, and not via Optical (like my A50s).

Anyone else made the 'jump' to 'proper' headohohes for gaming? I see it a lot, but soecificalls on the Xbox One please.

Oct 30, 2017
Era - is there a OT for Headphones/Headsets?

I've had A40s and upgraded to A50s a couple of years back. Excellent gaming headsets.

Anyways, I want something more versatile that I can use with my TV also. As well as out and about.

I am thinking the Bose QC 35 II.

My concern is - will I 'lose' virtual surround on the Xbox? As they will have to be wired to the controller, and not via Optical (like my A50s).

Anyone else made the 'jump' to 'proper' headohohes for gaming? I see it a lot, but soecificalls on the Xbox One please.

Virtual surround is snake oil.

I bought HyperX Cloud Revolver and its plugs into my controller and their one of the best sounding headphones I've had.

I would give studio grade headphones a shot. I believe there is a OT for headphones, I just dont have the info on hand. I'll look and get back to you of if i find the link.

Edit

Found the link

https://www.resetera.com/threads/he...rough-the-distortion-we-remain-lossless.2975/

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Virtual surround is snake oil.

I bought HyperX Cloud Revolver and its plugs into my controller and their one of the best sounding headphones I've had.

I would give studio grade headphones a shot. I believe there is a OT for headphones, I just dont have the info on hand. I'll look and get back to you of if i find the link.

Edit

Found the link

https://www.resetera.com/threads/he...rough-the-distortion-we-remain-lossless.2975/

Thanks for the link. I got Bose QC 35 II. Lots of them on eBay at great prices new because there was a mobile phone promotion in the UK giving them away for free.

Anyway, I will jump over to the OT now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Still waiting to find the new Playstation Gold 2018 headset here in Canada. Dunno what's taking so long.

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, going to ask a dumb question. Thinking of getting the hyperx cloud 2 headset. Mainly for xbox x. please confirm the mic works though the 3.5 mm jack on the controller. I keep seeing conflicting reports.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a way to directly connect a headphone to the optical port of a console or TV?

I use the PS Gold headset for everything right now (Pro, Switch X) but now I want better sound, but I don't want to buy a receiver because I feel that is kind of overkill if I only play and watch TV using headphones.

Or maybe is a better option to buy some good BT headphone and pair it with the TV?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to directly connect a headphone to the optical port of a console or TV?

I use the PS Gold headset for everything right now (Pro, Switch X) but now I want better sound, but I don't want to buy a receiver because I feel that is kind of overkill if I only play and watch TV using headphones.

Or maybe is a better option to buy some good BT headphone and pair it with the TV?
Optical is a digital signal, so you'd need to buy a dac(digital to analog converter) + amp to convert the signal to analog and output to your headphones. Depending on how good a quality you're after, that could cost a bit.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a pair of Plantronics RIG 800LX for my Xbox and PC, and a pair of Phillips SPH9500S with a V-MODA BoomPro mic for PC and PS4, also have a Blue Yeti that I use sometimes also. Love all of them.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
Optical is a digital signal, so you'd need to buy a dac(digital to analog converter) + amp to convert the signal to analog and output to your headphones. Depending on how good a quality you're after, that could cost a bit.

Could you please point me to where and what to look for? I don't know where to begin.

I'm considering a budget of $300-$400 (that would include DAC+AMP+headphones). As I previously mentioned I play on almost everything: Pro, X, Switch, 360, PS3, Wii U, and more, you name it.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help :)

Oct 27, 2017
I say this in every headset post on here or reddit.

HyperX

Under $50? HyperX Cloud Stinger
Under $100? HyperX Cloud Alpha
Under $200 and Wireless? HyperX Cloud Flight

Though if you want wireless and less then $100 the new Corsair HS70 is really good.

Other then that there's no reason to buy anything but HyperX unless you need Bluetooth functionality then the Arctis 3 Bluetooth is nice (and can be used for switch since Bluetooth and wired can be used at the same time).

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Could you please point me to where and what to look for? I don't know where to begin.

I'm considering a budget of $300-$400 (that would include DAC+AMP+headphones). As I previously mentioned I play on almost everything: Pro, X, Switch, 360, PS3, Wii U, and more, you name it.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help :)
Honestly it kind of depends what you're after.

If you're wanting virtual surround then you'd probably want something like an Astro Mixamp, that accepts optical dolby digital and turns it into dolby headphones. You usually have to choose either a Ps4 or Xbox one version, but in theory if your TV supports dolby digital output then you could just connect it to that to supply it. I used to use that plus some Sennheiser HD 598's for consoles and enjoyed the combination. Note: You won't be able to get surround from the Wii U or Switch since they don't support dolby digital.

As for normal dac/amp combinations, there's endless possibilities really. I've personally got the schiit stack connected to my PC ie Schiit Modi/Magni which I've been happy enough with, the Magni 3 seems to have more than enough power to drive most headphones. Though if you went that route you'd have to buy the Uber version of the Modi since otherwise it doesn't have an optical input. Besides that I've heard good things about the topping d30 dac, it's cheaper than even the normal version of the Modi 2 (at least where I live anyway) and has an optical output. If I hadn't got the Modi for a very steep discount I'd have considered it. You could either pair that with a Magni 3, or go with toppings a30.

I'd recommend asking your question in the headphone era thread as well, there's probably people in that thread with even more recommendations since they likely have more experience than I with all this. :P

Last edited:

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
I've just purchased the Arctis Pro Wireless, which at $330 exceeded my budget by quite a lot. I had also purchased the Sennheiser HD58x's but need to wait till July for their shipment.

416414.350.350.jpg

I'll be interested to see when I've got both if I'll opt to remain with the wireless gamer headset or double down on the Sennheiser's. Given I'll be looking to get a Modmic and amp if going down the Sennhesiers route it'll be a similar price.

AI7B6128a_copy_small_crop_dark_grille_20171207134853.jpg

Anticipate it'll be a choice between wireless convenience and sidetone (which I adore with closed headphones) or superior quality and better gaming soundstage with open headphones.

Im curious how you like the Arctis Pro Wireless cause i am interested in buying them for wireless ps4 and pc gaming + using the bluetooth for tablet and phone which is a big deal for me that these cans can do both.

I had the Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 before but the plastic hinges broke after almost 2 years and i had to return em. Since i got my money back i instantly bought the HyperX Cloud headphones and i really like them for pc gaming but for gaming on ps4 the cable bother me way too much so im looking for a new headset which will work perfectly with my ps4pro.

I read alot on on head fi forums for months and i know they cost alot compared to what non gaming headphones you can get for that money but im slowly running out of options when it comes to wireless ps4 headsets. Also i dont want the new sony ps4 headset..i learned my lesson even if they fixed the hinges now. The mic was still trash.

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Im curious how you like the Arctis Pro Wireless cause i am interested in buying them for wireless ps4 and pc gaming + using the bluetooth for tablet and phone which is a big deal for me that these cans can do both.

I've had them for 3months now, whilst Massdrop slowly prepared to ship the HD58x's. I received the Sennheiser's this week and I've not even the desire to open them. The headset has been a pleasure to use and I've valued the convenience of being wireless vastly more than I anticipated, I can't imagine going back to wires.

Though that said the price is astronomical and I hear there isn't a significant enough upgrade from the Wireless Arctis 7's that came prior and can be purchased for much cheaper. The dual batteries are a nice convenience, but I've not made much use of the bluetooth support. PC to PS4 support is nice and I appreciate being able to use both at the same time magically, which works really nice since I game at my PC desk with dual monitors (aka can watch videos on PC and play PS4 with audio from both).

Oct 27, 2017
So, if you buy the atmos license, what do you need to benefit?

Do you need an atmos amp? Mix amp with the surround deactivated? Plug it into the controller?

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've gone the Sennheiser HD6XX route and won't be going back to anything gaming branded. The sound quality adds a completely new dimension to my games, the explosions won't be as boomy and the Soundstage wasn't better than on the HD599's I tried, but this strikes a perfect balance for me, the only con is being wired and the Amp+DAC combo I have to use in order to fully utilize them on PC. However, they honestly sound acceptable even on Switch, where I use it without an Amp, although it doesn't get super loud.

On PS4, I just use an Astro mix amp that I picked up used, much better than plugging it into the controller.

Aesop

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If Im using the Beyerdynamic MMX300 Stereoheadset and the Astro Mixamp on PS4, should I disable the Dolby Surround mode on the Mixamp??

Deleted member 17491

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything such as an amp for the XB1 controller? I'm aware that Astro has an amp for the XB1 controller but those only work with their own headsets correct?
I'm going to throw something out there that many people don't see often but actually have been perhaps the most impressive yet. I have gone around the block with a50s, arctis 7s, seins 558s , beyerdynamic dt-880s. My favorite though for gaming are Bose qc25s with the Android cable, the noise isolation actually makes a huge difference for picking up noise direction and other things you may have missed.
How is the quality of the inline mic for the Bose QC25s? I've been thinking about picking up the 35 II version with the inline cable.

Last edited:

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I've had them for 3months now, whilst Massdrop slowly prepared to ship the HD58x's. I received the Sennheiser's this week and I've not even the desire to open them. The headset has been a pleasure to use and I've valued the convenience of being wireless vastly more than I anticipated, I can't imagine going back to wires.

Though that said the price is astronomical and I hear there isn't a significant enough upgrade from the Wireless Arctis 7's that came prior and can be purchased for much cheaper. The dual batteries are a nice convenience, but I've not made much use of the bluetooth support. PC to PS4 support is nice and I appreciate being able to use both at the same time magically, which works really nice since I game at my PC desk with dual monitors (aka can watch videos on PC and play PS4 with audio from both).

Urgh, this post made me jump in for the Arctis Pro Wireless. I've been wanting a wireless headset to use for PC/PS4 and the convenience to use with my phone with bluetooth too for a while.

Deleted member 2945

Oct 25, 2017
I have a very old pair of Astro A50s that I am looking to replace. I want some great sounding headphones with a mic for use gaming. Simulated surround is fine if it sounds good. I currently have an Xbox X, PS4 Pro, Switch, and PC, so it'd be nice if they'd work with all. I game most on the X or PS4 though.

I know both consoles have 3.5mm for chat, and both have optical sound output, so is that the best option to look for? What do you all recommend for a headset that can be used with both consoles, has great sound and has a mic for chat?

Thanks

I recorded the mics on some of the headsets I've got to give an idea about quality.

Steelseries Arctis 3 has a bluetooth version that does bluetooth and wired at the same time - which is idea for travelling ie bluetooth to your phone whilst wired to the Switch.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
For the PS4 I highly recommend the Sony's Platinum if you like VSS and want a wireless headphones. The sound is REALLY good and the fake 7.1 / 3D sound actually works.

And the Switch now has compability with wireless headphones that use USB so you can use them there as well, but without the VSS