• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaming has never been this good

• Absolutely Agree

Votes: 704 59.4%
  • No it used to be much better.

Votes: 386 32.5%
  • Other (explain in thread)

Votes: 96 8.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't consider something like BOTW to be AAA. It doesn't feature any microtransanctions or really any of the other AAA bullshit, and it's budget was fairly modest in comparison to the $200 million budgets of AAA games. And stuff like Nier Automota and Mario is not even remotely close to being AAA. AAA games were awful last gen, too. They've never been good.

Those are definitely AAA. They have huge budgets and teams. AA is something likeA Plague's Tale, The Surge, The Council or Vampyr.
AAA doesn't mean microtransactions. Lots of AAA games don't have these.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Those are definitely AAA. They have huge budgets and teams. AA is something likeA Plague's Tale, The Surge, The Council or Vampyr.

Getting less and less if you discount Nintendo. But note Nintendo refuses to reduce price in their games and expects people to pay a price that will make the game profitable to Nintendo. And even Nintendo is doing a little of it themselves.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Have you played Assassin's Creed Odyssey?

I think it's funny AC is one of the examples in the OP from his friend when 1. Odyssey is the best game in the series, and 2. It's pretty unlike the majority of the series and 3. Taken alone, there's not many games like it. Witcher 3 is probably the closest comparison, but even then there are major differences between them.
No I haven't, I should play it but haven't gotten around to it.

I should clarify, I like RPG's where stats are more important than player skill. For instance, I was dissappointed by Fallout 4 making shooting more skill based. I like encumbrance, I like when the choices you make mean something. If it's an RPG, to me, the character is more important than me. To me the bane of RPG's is the ability to respec.

Oct 25, 2017

Something like Nier Automota is absolutely not AAA. It was a sequel to a niche game that was made hoping to turn a profit with a small budget. It just happened to wind up selling way beyond what anyone expected. Stuff like Nier and Persona are what AA games are. More contained budgets and less advertising, but still a step above indie games and small titles.

I mean, you could maybe argue that Breath of the Wild was AAA, but they only needed to sell 2 million to make a profit. That's well below AAA budgets.

And I do generally associate AAA with bullshit. Microtransactions, always online stuff, GAAS, etc. That's what AAA means in 2019. Games that intend to make an infinite amount of money from you.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting less and less if you discount Nintendo. But note Nintendo refuses to reduce price in their games and expects people to pay a price that will make the game profitable to Nintendo. And even Nintendo is doing a little of it themselves.

If I look at some of my fave games this gen (Bloodborne, Sekiro, BotW, Prey, The Last Guardian, DOOM, RE2, Spider-Man, Titanfall 2) I haven't payed any microtransactions for any of them. It's not a major problem, certainly not for me.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general, I think that there's a ton to enjoy among modern releases. There's no lack of quality.

I think the argument that there's a suitable "indie" equivalent to any old game or type of game you could possibly enjoy, however, is a poor one.

That said, old games exist. There's nothing stopping me from playing them. Broadly they're more accessible than ever, and there's no good reason to ignore that fact when thinking about "gaming today", no good reason to treat "gaming today" as "new releases today".

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AAA is definitely worse, though there's still some good content in that space. The indie space is the best it's ever been, absolutely.

Overall, I'm relatively satisfied.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
AAA industry is in the worst state since few decades maybe. But AA/A are doing fine and Indies are flourishing

Oct 25, 2017
Something like Nier Automota is absolutely not AAA. It was a sequel to a niche game that was made hoping to turn a profit with a small budget. It just happened to wind up selling way beyond what anyone expected. Stuff like Nier and Persona are what AA games are. More contained budgets and less advertising, but still a step above indie games and small titles.

I mean, you could maybe argue that Breath of the Wild was AAA, but they only needed to sell 2 million to make a profit. That's well below AAA budgets.

And I do generally associate AAA with bullshit. Microtransactions, always online stuff, GAAS, etc. That's what AAA means in 2019. Games that intend to make an infinite amount of money from you.

BoTW is definitely AAA. how is this even a question? You may associate it with GAAS or microtranstions, buit that's not what AAA is. If those were the criteria, God of War, The Witcher 3, Dishonored 2, Spider-Man, Sekiro, Breath of the Wild and lots of others wouldn't be AAA. But they are. There's a reason people say AA is dead, for a long time there was very little between AAA and indie.

This gen changed that with cheaper AAA games (Ratchet & Clank), more expensive indies (The Witness) and the return of genuine AA gaming (The Council, Vampy, A Plague's Tale, The Surge, Elex, the upcoming Biomutant etc.) And VR in a way, because those could be called smaller, less expensive AAA games (Blood and Truth, Astro Bot etc.)

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
It's two sided. On one hand, AAA and indie games have been coming out at a crazy high quality, with quite a large portion of games being fun.

On the other hand, monetization of gaming is in the worst spot it's been in a long time. The fact that some people can spend thousands of dollars on a game to try to get a chance at a skin they want or to better their character is just insane. DLC and Expansions are fine, and always have been okay with me, but if I buy a game and can't earn a majority of the cool looking skins in the game without spending money, that's really lame.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. I'm mostly talking about AAA games, though. There's far too much of a focus on redoing old games, there aren't any pure handheld options (the Switch doesn't work as well as previous systems as a portable thanks to the size and battery life), and there's no free online (unless you have PC). Also there are a lot fewer AAA games being made, and that makes it so if you like a particular studio but don't like their released game you basically have to wait 4 or 5 years before they put out something else. There also seem to be a lot fewer AA type titles. And lets not forget having far bigger download sizes which can lead to situations like Fallout 76 having a patch that's bigger than the game, or games having patch sizes over 10+ GB.

The nice things are games are pretty big and if you do find a game you like it's easy to stick with it for quite a while, especially if it's a GAAS type of title.

I understand the negatives but there are many people whose gaming experience never touches loot boxes, or Season Passes or can wait out a bad launch. We may have lost Mass Effect this gen (we had a mass effect but it wasn't what people wanted) and some AAA games have been poor but there has also been a large number of high quality AAA games. I've played through Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Far Cry 5, Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, Driveclub, Persona 5 to name a few. 2020 is still coming btw.

Most of those games are direct sequels or years old though, also Persona 5 is on PS3 so it's actually a last gen game with a current gen port (cross gen sure, but if it came out on a last gen console, I have to put it in last gen). There is certainly good things about this gen, it's not all bad, and some of it lives up to the last gen's greats, but some of it just doesn't. I personally most dislike the development time increase. Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 all came out over the course of about 5 years, from 2007 to 2012. ME:A took 5 years. It's just that our games are slowing down and losing trilogies is not great. FF7r for instance looks amazing, but with what 3-6 parts, it was announced 4 years ago, and will take another 5 just to get to part 3, which likely won't be the last part.

This response has it right, and a lot of those games you mention are from franchises/studios that put out more than just that game last generation.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Guerilla did Killzone 2 and 3
The Witcher 3 - The Witcher 1 and 2 (granted 1 was PC-only but still).
Fallout 4 - Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion
Far Cry 5 - Far Cry 3 and 4
Uncharted 4 - Uncharted 1-3 + TLoU. Naughty Dog *has* put out UC4, UC: TLL and will put out TLoU 2 so at least they'll be close to what they did previously.
Spider Man - Granted Insomniac has put out 3 titles this gen (at least), but they put out 3 trilogies (Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank Future, Resistance) last gen.
Driveclub - Motorstorm, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Motorstorm RC. Evolution Studios was also closed.
Persona 5 - The exception to this list, given P4 was on PS2. I'm not entirely sure which other games P Studio has released, though.

It's on the whole a lot less output from the same studios.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Brown shooters?

Bioshock
Mass Effect
Halo 3
Assassin's Creed
Crackdown
The Orange Box
Rock Band
Uncharted
Super Mario Galaxy
Call of Duty 4
Viva Pinata
The Witcher
Ratchet & Clank

Only 2 of that list I liked. Galaxy and Ratchet. Most on that list didn't age well at all. AC1 was awful and UC1 was ok, but laid the foundation on much better entries. Every year from this gen destroys 2007.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're in a good spot now but there are things I look back on and miss from years and console generations before. As a fan of snowboarding games (and extreme sports games in general) and having watched that genre all but die out, I couldn't completely agree that gaming is better than it's ever been. The same goes for individual franchises that came and went leaving a void not truly filled by anything coming from current publishers/developers. Burnout being one that comes to mind.

There's another side to this though. I feel my taste in games has changed quite a lot over the years and it divides how I look at both the present and past. I was a big fan of first-person shooters in the late 1990s and early 2000s but I care a lot less for that kind of game now. The same goes for competitive multiplayer games too (though the toxicity in that scene is what mostly turned me away from it). So while I look back fondly at, say, a game like Quake 3 Arena I have zero interest in playing Quake Champions now. I'm looking forward to MCC coming to PC and I think Doom Eternal looks incredible but I can't help thinking it's the nostalgia working its magic rather than me genuinely being interested in playing those games.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The push for live services/aggressive monetization in both mobile and AAA isn't great, but there's been a huge diversity of games at all levels from indie to AAA, so I can't complain overall.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Only 2 of that list I liked. Galaxy and Ratchet. Most on that list didn't age well at all. AC1 was awful and UC1 was ok, but laid the foundation on much better entries. Every year from this gen destroys 2007.
Every year? Not even close.

At the time AC1 and Uncharted 1 were fantastic, and Bioshock and Halo 3 really delivered.
Not to mention the effect CoD4 had on the entire industry.

I don't think I've had a year since where I bought that many games in on Fall period.

Oct 25, 2017
BoTW is definitely AAA. how is this even a question? You may associate it with GAAS or microtranstions, buit that's not what AAA is. If those were the criteria, God of War, The Witcher 3, Dishonored 2, Spider-Man, Sekiro, Breath of the Wild and lots of others wouldn't be AAA. But they are. There's a reason people say AA is dead, for a long time there was very little between AAA and indie.

This gen changed that with cheaper AAA games (Ratchet & Clank), more expensive indies (The Witness) and the return of genuine AA gaming (The Council, Vampy, A Plague's Tale, The Surge, Elex, the upcoming Biomutant etc.) And VR in a way, because those could be called smaller, less expensive AAA games (Blood and Truth, Astro Bot etc.)

"Cheaper AAA games" is an oxymoron. The "AAA" designation refers solely to the budget of the game. Some first party AAA titles might avoid microtransanctions, but they're few and far between. On the whole, AAA means following the leader and putting in everything that other popular games are doing.

Gaming as a whole is doing well, but the AAA space is increasingly diseased and dysfunctional, regardless of "record profits".

I realize one can point to Nintendo's AAA games which go against the trends, but that's exactly the point. Nintendo and a few other random games from certain publishers are the exception that prove the rule.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
there aren't any pure handheld options (the Switch doesn't work as well as previous systems as a portable thanks to the size and battery life),

I agree with the Online criticism but I disagree with this. I don't think the size or battery life have been significant hindrances in how people use the system as a portable since it's effectively the same size if not smaller than popular tablets. The battery life is fine with less intensive games, not fantastic, but USB-C charging alleviates it.

I understand by 'pure' handheld you mean something Vita-sized or smaller, but I don't find the Switch something more cumbersome to carry around than a Vita as I would just toss both in my bag. Anyways, the speculated Switch Mini seems like it might address this directly.

Oct 25, 2017
"Cheaper AAA games" is an oxymoron. The "AAA" designation refers solely to the budget of the game. Some first party AAA titles might avoid microtransanctions, but they're few and far between. On the whole, AAA means following the leader and putting in everything that other popular games are doing.

There is not some arbitrary budget line at which AAA begins and ends. Something like Blood and Truth is definitely AAA, but it doesn't need the sales of Red Dead Redemption 2. Because it's shorter, more linear, less actors, etc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me it's never been better. You may get some AAA duds and annualised releases here and there, and microtransactions etc can be a thing in some games, but you still also get AAA titles that are simply unbelievable experiences, offering a sense of occasion, drama, spectacle, complexity, mechanical and technical sophistication or narrative poignancy that simply didn't exist in the same way in games back in the day.

Then there's the sheer volume of fantastic AA and indie titles that greatly add to the diversity and quality of games available.

If I was being truly honest with myself, one of the main reasons the old days of gaming seem so appealing on reflection, is predominantly because of nostalgia, my much younger age and my gaming inexperience. Gaming was fresher and newer back then, and standards and expectations were different and much lower.

Oct 25, 2017
There is not some arbitrary budget line at which AAA begins and ends. Something like Blood and Truth is definitely AAA, but it doesn't need the sales of Red Dead Redemption 2. Because it's shorter, more linear, less actors, etc.

You're aware that publishers coined the term "AAA" to refer to their highest budget games that were going to have the biggest advertising campaigns behind them and were aiming for massive sales, right? That's all the term refers to. AAA games are the absolute biggest games of the year that have $100 million+ budgets behind them and are aiming to make obscene amounts of money. Shorter games with smaller, more contained budgets are by definition not AAA games.

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming as a whole is doing well, but the AAA space is increasingly diseased and dysfunctional, regardless of "record profits".

I realize one can point to Nintendo's AAA games which go against the trends, but that's exactly the point. Nintendo and a few other random games from certain publishers are the exception that prove the rule.

Is this really such a big problem as some make it out to be though? Look at Sony's acclaimed and commercially succesful titles, there are no greedy tactics employed if you want to enjoy Horizon, Spidey or God of War. Same with the games Bethesda publishes (Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein, Prey, DOOM), or From Software's prolific output, CDPR,'s or most of Capcom's games, etc. Damn good games too.Yeah, Activision and EA are scummy, but as far as the entire industry is concerned I feel it's a bit overblown. I've played tons of amazing AAA games this gen and didn't spend a dime on microtransactions.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Microtransactions are not inherent to AAA. Many of them have them but microtransactions are not a qualifier. What was the budget for BotW & Mario Odyssey?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Annoying that the poll once again doesn't really reflect the title.

Overall I preferred it when AAA games were daring trailblazers, it's a best of both worlds situation as a consumer. It generated a lot of all time classics

I hate gamified storefronts with a passion so the AAA industry is by and large dead to me, outside of Sony and Nintendo exclusives and now with indies. Overall though, Sony, Nintendo and indies have picked up sufficient slack so that there are still more good games to play than in the old days. Just fewer all time classics.

Oct 25, 2017
You're aware that publishers coined the term "AAA" to refer to their highest budget games that were going to have the biggest advertising campaigns behind them and were aiming for massive sales, right? That's all the term refers to. AAA games are the absolute biggest games of the year that have $100 million+ budgets behind them and are aiming to make obscene amounts of money. Shorter games with smaller, more contained budgets are by definition not AAA games.

The problem is that there is no clear definition or budget. RDR2 is AAA, but so is Sekiro, Mario + Rabbids or DMC 5 and the difference in budget between those is staggering. You said AAA is basically a guarantee for scummy practices, but I pointed to loads of great games that don't have these practices, but are definitely AAA.

We should just talk about games. Indies, AA, AAA and everything in between (are funded and published titles like Cuphead or Ori still indie for example?)

And gaming as a whole is definitely on fire.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming has become polarized. The highs have never been higher. Indies have become amazing. Almost nothing else is sustainable. There is a big vacuum right now. The creators of Uncharted have said that that game couldn't be made in today's environment. That's a red flag to watch before saying things have never been better.

Also, the financials behind the industry have grown fundamentally dishonest, relying on secondary purchases and whales to keep the sticker price as low as possible (or worse, to milk as much profit as possible despite already hitting a point of healthy profit). That trades long term industry health for short term profit. Hiding a significant percentage of a game's cost within the game itself hides the game's honest price until there has already been buy-in; that is a recipe for long term failure. One of the primary reasons given for Vita's death was the hidden cost of proprietary memory cards. This is the exact same phenomenon, and it's becoming industry wide. If I want to pay an upfront price for all of a game, roughly half of the console space is now closed to me.

Saying things have never been better is to only look at the best aspects of the current industry. If you know what you want and know what you need to avoid, things can be better than ever. But part of the industry is rotting from the inside out, and that part of the industry is both growing and heading towards collapse. It feels like someone in the late 1920's saying the market has never been better. On the surface, sure. But the problems are huge and unaddressed.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
AAA games are better than ever. 99% I only play aaa games and there's no shortage of amazing titles

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
The highs of todays AAA games are much greater than any previous gen but the lows are so much lower.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Indie, AA and japanese games.

Western AAA is now mostly on the GaaS train and that doesn't appeal to me. The last Ubisoft E3 conference was pretty telling were it was almost all updates to their existing titles. I'm also sick of the "everything is a huge open world" trend bar some exceptions.

Still the stuff that appeals to me far outnumbers the volume of games we used to get 20 years ago so ignoring the big AAA pubs is easy.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that there is no clear definition or budget. RDR2 is AAA, but so is Sekiro, Mario + Rabbids or DMC 5 and the difference in budget between those is staggering. You said AAA is basically a guarantee for scummy practices, but I pointed to loads of great games that don't have these practices, but are definitely AAA.

We should just talk about games. Indies, AA, AAA and everything in between (are funded and published titles like Cuphead or Ori still indie for example?)

And gaming as a whole is definitely on fire.

(I really don't think you can consider something like Mario + Rabbids to be AAA unless your only definition of AAA is "from a big publisher)

Gaming as a whole is definitely fine; my argument has always been that it's the non-big budget games that are the ones worth playing. But since the OP wanted to specifically ask if gaming was great even including AAA, this thread seems to be asking to separate them out.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No? Sekiro is aaa and that didn't cost 50 million even. Dishonored games, prey is aaa and those too are relatively cheaper. By your definition aaa is only for rockstars and ubisofts of the world.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'd say it's never been better as there are definite downsides for this generation, such as the significant increase in predatory MTXs, a notable decrease in the quality of some notable Western titles, a lot of games now launching unfinished, less big AAA releases from major publishers all around and AA games all but extinct, the decline and death of traditional handhelds, and now every platform holder is charging to play online. It's a lot better than last gen for me, that's for sure, but that's solely because Japanese games improved significantly on consoles and indie developers have truly become a major part of the industry. Even then, it took quite some time for this gen to get going. If it wasn't for the 3DS and, to a lesser extent, the Wii U, the first half of this generation would've been completely barren for me

Nice to know I'm not the only one who noticed :P
It actually wasn't intentional, I just really love Sony and Nintendo's first party.

Edit: Also I think the only Sony games up there are death stranding, gravity rush, and God of war. The rest are third party.

Edit2:huh. There was also Astrobot and infamous.

Oops

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This gen started pretty meh, 2013 and 2014 werent very good years. Things really picked up once 2015 and beyond hit though.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
This gen has not been for me. A few games were great but nothing has been as amazing as the PS2, GC, Dreamcast gen as far as types of games that appeal to me.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Other it's not a question of being better or worse from my pov
I had a NES with ROB the robot and still play games as a way to see innovation now that I'm older.

Storytelling is definitely the best it's been this generation

Style is something we don't give this cycle enough credit that's where the new voices in the indie scene are leaving their digital footprint

Battle Royale ,Games as a service are the new Everyone needs a Military FPS of previous generation

For as many broken early access releases that dissapointed you could find just as many where the delays or promises returned and were above the expectations they had set or went on to do financially better than expected

This industry is dedicated to fan service more than any other media
And it shows this generation by how emotional people can feel about a hobby or the attachments,respects we have or don't for the developers, companies involved

I think like most industries you have what can inspire and then teach you what not to do in business as well

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
absolutely agree. so many good games, so many good platforms to play on, so many good devs working on great stuff.
of course there are some shitty things as well like loot boxes or shitty exclusivity deals, but overall gaming has never been this good.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
On the subject of the "goodness" of AAA. I was a PC gamer for a large portion of the years crossing the refresh of the consoles, as such, I didn't really feel any form of generational divide.

Around that time, AAA was at its peak. It was great on PS3/360, and it handed over really well to PS4/XB1, and PC straddled both. That was its best. It has gradually been on a decline. There are definitely shining high points in terms of titles, but the amount of bad will surrounding its economics is really hard to ignore now. It compromises the games. Games, for a while, were consistently hitting 7 or 8 in terms of scoring, such was the consistency and quality. Now, we're getting absolute clangers happening from big "too big to fail" studios.

I've moved to Switch, so I'm not feeling this any more. I'm getting some of my favourite games from the peak ported to the platform, and I'm getting a new diverse breadth of titles. I do look at what is to come with PS5/NextBox, and I seriously wonder what the state of games are going to be like on those platforms. Rather than handing over at its best, it is handing over at its lowest.

Oct 25, 2017
(I really don't think you can consider something like Mario + Rabbids to be AAA unless your only definition of AAA is "from a big publisher)

Gaming as a whole is definitely fine; my argument has always been that it's the non-big budget games that are the ones worth playing. But since the OP wanted to specifically ask if gaming was great even including AAA, this thread seems to be asking to separate them out.

I'd say over 90% of the big publishers' output is AAA, yeah. But, like I said, AAA is a bit hard to nail down.
My argument is that it's certainly not just low budget games that are worth playing this gen and that there have been many astonishing big(ger) budget games, some of which (Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild) are among my all-time faves. The fact that I can switch from something like Monster Hunter World with my friends at home to Breath of the Wild in the train to Astro Bot in VR, makes this gen so good. There should be something for everyone, it's more accessible than ever and there are more ways to play them.

I'm not saying it's all perfect, but in general, I think it's better than it's ever been, and I've been playing since the C64 days. Fuck, I'm old.

But in the end, it's a matter of personal taste. I'm lucky that my prefered genres are going strong. If you're a fan of arcade racers, you're less lucky.

Oct 26, 2017
It actually wasn't intentional, I just really love Sony and Nintendo's first party.

Edit: Also I think the only Sony games up there are death stranding, gravity rush, and God of war. The rest are third party.
Well there's also Astrobot, inFAMOUS, and the likes of Nier Automata and Persona 5 were/are PlayStation exclusive. Not meant to be a call out, just that you're examples are mostly limited to one platform and publisher and there are plenty of other examples out there that would do a better job of showing variety in the AAA space by looking at games from different publishers, such as Doom, The Witcher 3, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and so on. Even more if you go into the indie / AA space, such as with Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Life is Strange, and Stardew Valley

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Indies and Nintendo might be the only consistently redeeming part about games today. Only considering AAA titles; very few appeal to me nowadays but the ones that are great (RE2make & Spider-Man were the two best AAA games I've played recently) are really good titles admittedly. Excessive monetization found in certain titles really is bringing down my enthusiasm, especially since the games that seem to feature them the most frequently are really boring sandboxes.