• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
This was brought on by the EA earnings call and Apex Legends becoming one of their primary platforms. At this point, it is faaaaar more popular than the Titanfall series it's based on. What other series have experienced similar? Persona vs. SMT comes to mind, though I'm sure there are others.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guess the Rabbids stuff that spun off from Rayman counts too, think that stuff sold more than regular Rayman stuff, but not fully sure.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Technically, isn't Shin Megami Tensei itself a spin-off from Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei?

Phantasy Star Online appears to be way more popular than the original turn-based Phantasy Star series was.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I guess at it's peak, Pokémon Go was arguably bigger than any of the mainline games.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Technically the Super Mario series is a spin-off of Donkey Kong.

Backlogger

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Spryo games -> Skylanders ( -> Spyro games remastered?)

This was brought on by the EA earnings call and Apex Legends becoming one of their primary platforms. At this point, it is faaaaar more popular than the Titanfall series it's based on. What other series have experienced similar? Persona vs. SMT comes to mind, though I'm sure there are others.

I had no idea Apex Legends was based on Titanfall

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
You could argue Pokemon Go as well, even if only one game it was just so massive in terms of downloads.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
World of Warcraft comes to mind. And the 1-2 punch of Portal 1 and 2 coming at a time when Half Life was on the shelf.

solidr

Oct 28, 2017
super mario bros is a spinoff of mario bros and mario bros is a spinoff of donkey kong 🤔

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Heroes of Might and Magic was and is still is more popular than the main series Might and Magic.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Are crossovers spin-offs? The King of Fighters became much bigger than both Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting. Also... Smash Bros has dozens of characters from games that are not that well known.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
World of Warcraft comes to mind. And the 1-2 punch of Portal 1 and 2 coming at a time when Half Life was on the shelf.

I'm not really sure Portal is a Half-Life spin-off. They share the same universe, but that's more of a fun Easter egg than anything meaningful. It's not really like they took any characters, environments or concepts (apart from gravity play, at a push) from H-L and built a game series around that.