• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was the Gaming Fail of the Year 2019?

• Anthem

Votes: 135 18.3%
  • Stadia

Votes: 136 18.4%
  • Blizzard kowtowing to China

Votes: 230 31.2%
  • THQ Nordic doing an interview on 8chan

Votes: 145 19.6%
  • ESA E3 attendees data leak

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Fallout 76 (still!)

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
stadia was a new game platform that launched this year and it's not really talked about a month after launch. i'm gonna say stadia.

Yeah, Stadia was the result of Google coming together to make a new platform. There were giant mega press conferences held in preparation for it.

Then, Stadia happened.

Anthem is bad but at least it *works*

You can't really say the same about FO76 at this point

Yeah, I think Fallout 76 is a much worse train wreck than Anthem.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
THQ's AMA and Activision-Blizzard suckling China's teat are pretty damn close in my book. Activision-Blizzard might get the slight edge with Bobby K's "possible" connections with certain circles and people that didn't hang themselves (on top of all the other shit tied to him).

Then again, THQ's AMA was on a board that spawned something like 2-3 shooters this year alone? Maybe more?

It's like trying to decide which pile of shit smells the worst.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Hard fought battle between Activision Blizzard and THQNordic.

Shoutout to the devs that had homophobic and/or transphobic content in their game, said they would remove it and then backed down from it

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Those who voted for Anthem obviously forgot Ghost Recon B-point.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. THQNordic 8chan AMA
2. ActiBlizzard bowing to China
3. Stadia
4. Anthem
5. Fallout 76 Round 2

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Its THQ and its not even close.

Anthem is far from the first new IP to fail, those are hard to make. Blizzard was concerned about beingcut off from hundreds of millions of players.

Thq signal boosted a nazi-pedo forum that inspired mass shootings and refused to fire the person responsible.

Shout out to mark.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
THQ Nordic 8Chan AMA. Activision-Blizzard China thing was pretty bad too, but openly marketing on a Nazi Pedophile site shut down for producing multiple mass shooters is another level.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Activision Blizzard banning that HK dude and denying him his winnings just because he said something not nice about the evil Chinese government. There's nothing else this year that can come close to topping that, at least not in my mind. But maybe I've forgotten something.

Oct 27, 2017
Game launches aren't even in the same league as this year's biggest fails. There's enough surrounding game launches to support another thread.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this is a two horse race between THQ chillin' with Nazis and pedos and Blizzard bending the knee to Winnie the Pooh.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't believe the THQ stunt when I read the thread title here about it and TBH I can't believe it still. What a terrible thing that was.

So yeah this is it for me.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There can only be one: THQ Nordic's 8chan adventure.

Don't know how anyone can vote for Anthem or Stadia when that mess happened.

It's because outside of certain circles on enthusiast forms like ERA, nobody knows about it. Hell I visit here daily and even I only have a vague idea of what happened.

For me the biggest fail is definitely Stadia. I mean yeah Anthem was a fail, but Stadia is an actual new platform and it launched with nothing but a whimper. It only made certain news outlets and mostly for all the wrong reasons.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Blizzard caving to tyranny - As real as it gets.
2. Anthem - The death of the Bioware we once loved.
3. Stadia - How do you fuck this up so bad?
4. The continuing debacle of Fallout 76 - Really, Bethesda, really?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard and THQ Nordic take the cake in terms of sheer gross actions.

In terms of product quality, Anthem launching as a mockery of loot shooters after all of the hype and marketing is the biggest flub regardless of its sales at launch. Nothing will save that game short of the A Realm Reborn treatment, and I'm not convinced Bioware has it in them to pull that off.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
Anthem. I think Stadia was going to fail from the beggining so I took that for granted, but, mate, Anthem gave me expectations.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I have a hard time defining "fail". For me, a fail tend to be something to laugh at. Blizzard and THQ's behaviour are not fails but abhorrent. For that, Fallout 76 going subscription, Anthem release, Stadia launch are more tangible laughable

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I would go with Fallout 76. It's like falling out of a tree and hitting every branch on the way down.

But Stadia may be the big winner really. What a dud launch with worse performance then Google talked up, and the most underwhelming library around.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it were THQ Nordic, but it doesn't look like their AMA (and the failure to address why it happened or how comfortable their representatives were during it) hurt them anywhere near as much as it should have.

I think it's the same with Blizzard. They fucked up but I doubt it will make any real difference when the next Diablo hits.

It could still be Stadia, but it's very early to be judging that, and since the official wider public launch is in 2020, we'll get a chance it judge it properly next year anyway.

That means it's Anthem, given its combination of being a highly publicised game that got people hyped for something that didn't exist, somehow managed to maintain a large amount that hype through a beta and an "early access" launch that should have made clear to players that it was nothing like what was promised, and then still sold well enough that it managed to disappoint millions of people. The litany of issues probably don't need to be rehashed, nor do Bioware's rolling failures to address more than a fraction of those issues. All the hopes of its players - that the roadmap would fix things, that there'd be a big rework announced at E3, that there'd be a relaunch when the game hit EA Access. We still don't know what Anthem's future is, but one thing is for sure: if it wasn't an enormous failure, we wouldn't need to ask about its future.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There can only be one: THQ Nordic's 8chan adventure.

Don't know how anyone can vote for Anthem or Stadia when that mess happened.

This right here. If we wanna talk about 'fails' there's been nothing even remotely on the level of this. Such an incredible failure to read the damn room.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for me the THQ Nordic 8chan courting ritual was just a massive self own. Blizzard is slowly crawling out of the hole of their own making, though. I've been having a pretty good time with Stadia, so far. It works and it's early. Destiny 2 has been singing, and I've been enjoying my replay of Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus. Best streaming service, yet. But it's also fairly threadbare and not all things to all people. It's a newborn thing.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Stadia. it will have the most wreckage if google cuts their losses.

Anthem is a biggie but EA has other games to take the load and Bioware isn't going anywhere. They'll just double down on Dragon Age and eventually do a very safe and traditional Mass Effect.

EGS exclusivity hasn't hurt any devs (that we know of) yet.

THQN and Blizzard- they are big PR fails, but the section of the gaming community that leads politics as the driving force behind their playing decisions is possibly not as big as ERA thinks.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a tough one, because the Blizzard thing is obviously shocking and horrible, but I feel like it's just gonna become standard business practice going forward. People are gonna be putting Crimea in Russia, pretending the Armenian genocide never happened, and of course, capitulating to China. Rainbow 6: Siege had a moment in 2018 where they removed images of skulls and slot machines from various maps to appease China before reversing course. Blizz also skates because a lot of big companies flinched and gave into China at various points. It feels a lot less shocking than the NBA mishandling their China stance.

Anthem was a monumental flop, but again, those happen all the time.

In both cases, Acti-Blizz/EA are somewhat insulated from these isolated, bad decisions through their massive portfolios.

THQ Nordic being a smaller company, definitely "feels" their controversy more. Not only that, but 8chan was so bad they literally got wiped off the internet for (checks notes) hosting multiple instances of home-grown terrorist materials. People like to talk about how bad FB, Twitter, YT, and Reddit are, but no one's gonna fault someone for doing an event on one of those platforms and some shooter livestream/liveblogging on those services. They're just too big tent. THQ had their pick of smaller sites to try and do a more unconventional AMA, Remedy did their research and chose Era as a platform. I dunno, THQ going to 8chan was always more downside than upside. Literally worse than 4chan. If they went on 4chan, that wouldn't have been as bad. Yikes.

Even though it's counter-intuitive for an award like this, I do get tired of seeing EA and their ilk on the tops of lists all the time, it feels important to "recognise" smaller companies for "awards."

Looking back ten years from now, seeing "EA made a bad game" isn't that interesting. Seeing "THQ Nordic does AMA on 8chan," is interesting, because ten years from now young people are probably saying, "wait, what's 8chan" if not "what's an AMA," and possibly, "what's THQ Nordic?" So for historical context, having such an unusual event as the Gaming FotY is something I'd like to see.

1: THQ Nordic's AMA on 8chan
2: Blizzard's China eSports scandal
3: Anthem

I feel like there are probably 50 other "fails" that had to do with streamers and/or the FGC.

edit: not even going to count Stadia, because Alphabet/Google seems to operate on a principle of most of their projects failing if it allows them to have a few hits.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still voting for Fallout 76. I think truly immoral behavior belongs in different discussion same as EA winning worst company against companies that use child labor.

And Fallout 76 was such a fail it was the biggest last year, this year, and if Howard and Bethesda keep it up it could fail it's way next year into a three peat.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard was the biggest facepalm for me.
Micro-fail: weird-ass WB Montreal Batman marketing campaign.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Did Acti-Blizz layoff all those people after their record profits this year? That plus the China stuff seems like a tough one to beat

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still convinced they knew exactly what they were doing and who the people congregating on 8chan were. Obviously not the entire business entity, but the specific people involved, absolutely.

My forever blind optimism has alway pinned it on a failure to research the community and not do due diligence but, if you're right, that'd obviously be far worse. Awful.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
My forever blind optimism has alway pinned it on a failure to research the community and not do due diligence but, if you're right, that'd obviously be far worse. Awful.

The person hosting the AMA knew what they were doing, he responded to alot of disgusting comments on the forum and on twitter.

The person is still employed at THQ

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Stadia is so bad that every time somebody mentions it, it reminds me that Stadia still exists or ever existed in the first place.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
THQ Nordic promoting a bunch of paedophiles and Nazis Vs Blizzard kowtowing to an authoritarian regime in the middle of crushing dissent and Muslims Vs The continued industry-wide exploitation and abuse of labour.

Yikes.

I think I'll give it to Blizzard. Fuck Blizzard, Free Hong Kong.

Also Anthem, Stadia and Death Stranding suck out loud, but they don't hang in this company.