• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was the Gaming Fail of the Year 2019?

• Anthem

Votes: 135 18.3%
  • Stadia

Votes: 136 18.4%
  • Blizzard kowtowing to China

Votes: 230 31.2%
  • THQ Nordic doing an interview on 8chan

Votes: 145 19.6%
  • ESA E3 attendees data leak

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Fallout 76 (still!)

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
So for some reason there hasn't been a thread on this even though there were threads for 2017 and 2018.

Any thoughts for this year?

I guess Stadia was a pretty big all-around fuckup.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Anthem or Stadia launch

Stadia seems to be at least making good strides after the launch. But the reveal, to the launch and its issues -woof-

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Put the entire AAA industry in the gaming fail of the year category. A string of mediocre disappointments after January

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
There can only be one: THQ Nordic's 8chan adventure.

Don't know how anyone can vote for Anthem or Stadia when that mess happened.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Stadia since expectations had been set for 4k/60 and 10.7 Terraflops.

Remains to be seen if they can recover things when Base launches along with integrated youtube features. I think its too early to write it off, but a very bad launch.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
commercially/critically anthem

tbh i don't think anybody cares about china/actiblizz at this point. which is very unfortunate but way it is

edit: i forgot the 8chan thing happened this year. well there's that i guess, it's the most incomprehensibly stupid thing ever

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
THQ doing an AMA on 8Chan.

Runner up goes to Blizzard and the ESA for the E3 personal information "leak".

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Anthem, Blizzard bowing to China and THQ Nordic getting chummy with Nazis and pedos are all pretty significant.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I still think THQ Nordic is worse. Actively going to a board known for full-blown pedophilia and nazis for an AMA to attract more of those kinds of people is probably the worst you can get.

Oct 29, 2017
I want to say Anthem... but really, all the fail with Anthem took place from like 2012 to 2017. All that time spinning wheels with nothing to show for it.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My vote would go to Anthem.
I honestly did not expect Bioware to cock it up so badly, 'again'. My expectations are now firmly in check for their next announcement.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anthem and Stadia are disappointing but Blizzard's bowing to China is straight up dystopian. Nothing else signals our grim corporate-dominated future the way that does.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
A few major things this year, starting with Anthem, then the ESA E3 personal leak, THQ Nordic and 8chan, Activision and China, Stadia, lots of screw ups this year

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
THQ signal boosting 8chan and their non-apology managed to make it even worse

VS

Blizzard banning Blitzcheung and 2 casters

vs

ESA E3 media attendees Leaks

: is all that matters for 2019.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Stadia but yeah that takes the top spot here. Horrible launch with super negative reviews from people with crappy internet and a pricing model that just don't work.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia, Blizzard, Anthem, the continued failures of Fallout 76...

A good number of them this year.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
stadia was a new game platform that launched this year and it's not really talked about a month after launch. i'm gonna say stadia.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There are some big ones between Anthem, Stadia, Blizzard and THQ Nordic
I will vote for THQ Nordic

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna mention one that everyone forgot, YIIK.

Game was a goddamn train wreck that created more controversies thanks to the dev being dumb. The awkward Iwata tribute to "you don't understand my art", to the weird alt-right Easter egg ending that may have been in the game but turns out it was unfinished, and now the dev has gone into hiding. On top on of the game just being a complete goddamn mess and the worst thing I've played this year and one of the worst games I've ever beaten.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 76 was rated lower and continues to have new issues and people still say Anthem? Maybe more disappointing because expectations were higher or it's just the LOL EA mentality.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem for sure. Huge screw up by THQ as well but it was less public (I have plenty of gamer friends who had never heard of it but I mentioned but laughed about Anthem as soon as I brought it up).

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard and THQ Nordic are like the only contenders. Botching a game release is nothing compared to siding with a totalitarian regime or putting the kids gloves on for white supremacists and pedophiles.