• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Batman: Arkham City is a perfect sequel in every regard. It takes everything that made its predecessor such a hit and improves on pretty much aspect of it, freeing Batman from the confines of the preceding Arkham Asylum and allowing him to prowl the rooftops of a cordoned-off section of Gotham City.

source.gif

list is immediately validated and off to a good, good start

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
source.gif

list is immediately validated and off to a good, good start
I couldn't disagree more. The open-world was unneeded and was only made to have the buzzword "open-world" in its marketing since at the time, that was still something to get excited about. There was nothing to do besides getting collectibles (oh I'm sorry, "solving riddles") and beating up small groups of thugs because we apparently do that enough already at every other point in the game. Arkham City's open world was a glorified mission selector.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't disagree more. The open-world was unneeded and was only made to have the buzzword "open-world" in its marketing since at the time, that was still something to get excited about. There was nothing to do besides getting collectibles (oh I'm sorry, "solving riddles") and beating up small groups of thugs because we apparently do that enough already at every other point in the game. Arkham City's open world was a glorified mission selector.
City's overworld was not a far cry from Asylum's, it was just more open—Asylum's overworld was empty while also being broken up by loading screens. It's an imitation of a Metroid-like game without being fun to traverse.

Having the option of dashing across rooftops and gliding over the cityscape below is way better than hoofing it through boring hallways and outdoor environments that you can't grapnel around. The former actually befits Batman.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
City's overworld was not a far cry from Asylum's, it was just more open—Asylum's overworld was empty while also being broken up by loading screens. It's an imitation of a Metroid-like game without being fun to traverse.

Having the option of dashing across rooftops and gliding over the cityscape below is way better than hoofing it through boring hallways and outdoor environments that you can't grapnel around. The former actually befits Batman.
The missions in Asylum were designed so you never had to traverse the map too much to get to start the next part of the story. Yes, it was like a mini open-world though it still shared a lot of linear single-player traits with its mission structure. I recently replayed the four titles and the most traversing I did in AA was through the garden a couple times. City ditched this, having the player traverse the map back and forth, sometimes from one end to the next. It's not that I thought the open-world ruined AC, it was just incredibly unneeded for that type of game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The missions in Asylum were designed so you never had to traverse the map too much to get to start the next part of the story. Yes, it was like a mini open-world though it still shared a lot of linear single-player traits with its mission structure. City ditched this, having the player traverse the map back and forth, sometimes from one end to the next. It's not that I thought the open-world ruined AC, it was just incredibly unneeded for that type of game.

And in City you always have the next objective on your map and the points of interest are the individual locations—the "linear single-player" traits are still present (and improved over Asylum) in the Wonder Tower, steel mill, underground League of Assassins hideout and Strange headquarters areas. Then there's sequences that leverage having an open environment like the sniper gauntlet before reaching the final Joker encounter. The only difference is that player isn't constantly funneled down linear paths that they have to immediately backtrack down to get back to the still protracted, empty hub. If Asylum actually had a well-designed Metroid-style overworld that had clever spatial puzzles worked into the level design and looped back upon itself in interesting ways, I would understand how some bristle at City's approach, but Asylum wasn't special in that regard.

If there's nothing to do in City's overworld, then Asylum's is way worse. Even just the Riddler content from each game encapsulates how City is better than Asylum. Both have Riddler trophies to collect, yet backtracking through Asylum is a dull nightmare where you're on foot going through loading screens nonstop, picking up trophies that are either just sitting around a corner or are behind a weak wall and that's it, not to mention all you get is an audio file as a reward. City makes that sidequest actually worthwhile, makes traversing the overworld meaningful through tracking Riddler henchmen, the puzzles and hostage deathtraps involve actual puzzle-solving that makes use of the game's mechanics and player abilities, and it culminates with Batman actually getting to confront and catch Riddler himself.

Rockstead knew what they were doing with that game and comprehensively improved on what they did before.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Keep Spidey in there.
Replace Skyrim with Witcher and put BoTW at like.. 10 and then we're talking.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I liked Spiderman, but I don't think it's top 25 of the decade, especially not number 5.
I feel like Horizon Zero Dawn should fit somewhere on this list. But to each their own :)

I'll make my own list later. :P

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty flaccid list for me. Couple of indie hits, mostly the standard AAA fare. Nothing to see here.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Now thats a list.
BOTW overrated as fuck but I respect it.
And we still have some heavy hitters coming next year.

Oct 26, 2017
What about BOTW does it for y'all? I played that game for 30 hours and could just never get into it.
I don't know. Why do people on Era love the Souls games whereas I find them to be painful awful experiences? Different people just like different things and, sometimes, your preferences aren't going to line up with the majority

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i really wish Last of Us wasn't a Naughty dog playstation exclusive.

if it had been made by Rinky Dink game company for another console. I wouldn't have to hear about this game still. It would have gotten 6's and 7's and we all could've moved on

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
that is not an interesting top 10

It says "top" not "most interesting"
people that say its a boring list - what do you expect? They're not listing hidden gems or underrated games, they are listing what they think is best, and frankly that isn't exactly going to be a shocker to anyone given that these are some of the most beloved, critically acclaimed, best selling games of the decade.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Outer Wilds / Spiderman stand out on the list as indicators that it has a recency bias bent. (Although admittedly I've played neither game.)

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Decent list, but I, like many, can't take it seriously without Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW #1? That's not great.

I would put Minecraft as the #1. Its cultural impact was crazy. And Im not even that big of a MC fan.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks tips.

And just so you know, I put my opinion because thats how this whole message board thing works otherwise, we just read the articles and go about our day.
Oh of course we're allowed to share our opinions. I'm just pointing that this list is theirs so it's not exactly a bad or good thing that they put BotW at #1

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to confuse The Outer Worlds with Outer Wilds for the rest of my life aren't I?

My top 10 would be pretty anemic in the diversity department:

1) Bloodborne
2) Resident Evil 2
3) Alien: Isolation
4) Dark Souls 2
5) God of War
6) Dark Souls 3
7) Hollow Knight
8) Dark Souls Remastered
9) Breath of the Wild
10) Resident Evil 7

That's a dark ass list, open the shades let some light in!

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Spiderman and Outer Wilds don't belong in the top 10. They're just too fresh in everyone's minds.

Also, the lack of Hollow Knight is a straight up crime. IMO it's the best Metroidvania ever made, and it would easily make the top 10 games of the decadae. Not including it in top 25 is just disappointing.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Spiderman and Outer Wilds don't belong in the top 10. They're just too fresh in everyone's minds.

Also, the lack of Hollow Knight is a straight up crime. IMO it's the best Metroidvania ever made, and it would easily make the top 10 games of the decadae. Not including it in top 25 is just disappointing.
I don't think it matters how fresh a game when it comes to personal lists (which this is going by how they said it was put together) - if you want to talk about making a list about influential games then maybe there's an argument there.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I don't think it matters how fresh a game when it comes to personal lists (which this is going by how they said it was put together) - if you want to talk about making a list about influential games then maybe there's an argument there.

Eh, I dunno. There's definitely a honeymoon period for some games. That's not to say that every game's reception will taper off post-release, but with a lot of forms of entertainment there's a tendency to hype things up when they're first out. I think putting a game that came out in the past 6 months on the list is a bit much, as is the case with Outer WIlds. As for Spider-man, it's definitely an excellent game, but I struggle to imagine it hitting top ten of the decade five years from now.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
that Top 10 is pretty shit and is full of games that just gave the current mindshare. Top 10 to me of the decade are games that have had ripple effects through the industry. Games like RDR2 and Spider-Man are just the products of said improvements.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely would not put BotW anywhere near a top 5, but at least this isn't a "most influential" games thing again.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Eh, I dunno. There's definitely a honeymoon period for some games. That's not to say that every game's reception will taper off post-release, but with a lot of forms of entertainment there's a tendency to hype things up when they're first out. I think putting a game that came out in the past 6 months on the list is a bit much, as is the case with Outer WIlds. As for Spider-man, it's definitely an excellent game, but I struggle to imagine it hitting top ten of the decade five years from now.
A top whatever list is only correct at a certain point in time anyway and opinions can always change. I Iust don't think people should be policed on what games they liked on their own personal lists, whether it's a recent game or not. Who are we to say that their opinion is wrong?