• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VI or VII would probably been the popular answer.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was even more revered back then. It was revolutionary. It changed the game. And it was a launch game. Console players were desperate to play it (or even see it running - remember this was the era of the magazine so screenshots only).

yup, even playstation kids, like me at the time, couldnt believe what we were watching. At the time no 3d game had that freedom of movement - camera control, it seemed kind of a magic trick for my young eyes and brain. That said, its level design never did much for me tbh

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was like 16 when it came out so I have a good frame of reference. At the time the videogame discourse wasnt focused on things like GOTY and "best game ever" it really started with Ocarina because it was the first game to get like all 10s from every magazine and the N64 was seen as the first system to challenge our perception of "this looks real". Yes, I know how dumb that sounds but its true. The only time Ive ever gotten dizzy playing a videogame was the first time playing Mario 64, moving in a 3D space felt THAT crazy

That being said, the game before Ocarina that got MAJOR critical acclaim was Super Metroid. People lost their goddamn shit about that game.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like GOAT talk for Super Metroid didn't begin until the early 00's. I remember being a little surprised that EGM put it at #1 on their second list. At the time, it was overshadowed by Donkey Kong Country.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like GOAT talk for Super Metroid didn't begin until the early 00's. I remember being a little surprised that EGM put it at #1 on their second list.
It got great reviews upon release but so did several other games in that era. Like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, it gained a bigger following later on.

Genesis/Mega Drive games like Shinobi III, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic games, etc. also got plenty of 9/10s alongside the big SNES titles but that's something that has become increasingly forgotten over time.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Link to the Past and Mario 3 were the big ones, from what I recall.

Tetris and Super Metroid were thrown around too.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of game developers want to make their own Sonic the Hedgehog.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
SMB3 and LTTP were the main ones I remember. Super Metroid had a lot more word of mouth over time. At least, here it was packaged with a guide and sold for £65, so lots of people didn't play it.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't remember people ever so much putting any 1 game forward as a conclusive overall best of all time, you more got personal favorites. I love fallout, i love chronotrigger, street fighter until i die, that kind of thing.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Super Mario 64 is and was always better and more groundbreaking than OOT
100% this. OoT didn't aged well because we had a lot of action adventure game that made the gameplay old.
In the way less crowd 3d platformer, Mario 64 still holds up. Mario Odyssey is a glorified 64. I am still amazed by the little time they needed to make 3D movement feels so good.
Metal gear solid had a bigger impact on the media than OoT too.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Probably Link's Awakening and Mario 3 for me today. Though back then I would have said Zelda 1, but I think Link's Awakening is my absolute favorite 2D Zelda.

Other games I personally find worthy of consideration include Mario 64, Super Castlevania IV, Rondo of Blood, Duke 3D, and (even though it wasn't out in America before OoT) Pokemon gen 1.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there was a stand out game.

We were GOATless before then, for a long time OOT stood at the top and then a little game called Death Stranding came along and well the rest is history.

jk

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I was like 16 when it came out so I have a good frame of reference. At the time the videogame discourse wasnt focused on things like GOTY and "best game ever" it really started with Ocarina because it was the first game to get like all 10s from every magazine and the N64 was seen as the first system to challenge our perception of "this looks real". Yes, I know how dumb that sounds but its true. The only time Ive ever gotten dizzy playing a videogame was the first time playing Mario 64, moving in a 3D space felt THAT crazy

That being said, the game before Ocarina that got MAJOR critical acclaim was Super Metroid. People lost their goddamn shit about that game.

This is a good point.

From my point of view, conversations about GOTYs and GOATs in gaming didn't really start taking place until the first gaming Academy Awards (AIAS) started showing up on box arts. The first game to ever win was Mario 64 in 1996 and I think GoldenEye won the year after that, then Ocarina.

There weren't really any generally agreed-upon GOATs before that, at least not as widely agreed-upon as games like Mario 64 and Ocarina. The most critically acclaimed games were games like Mario 3, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VII. Other games that were a huge deal were Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Street Fighter II (SFII was like the Call of Duty of its time market-wise), Final Fantasy VI, Doom, and probably some Ultima games. Ultima Underworld and System Shock in particular were extremely influential to a lot of games we're playing today, and they came out in the early 90's.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
CreepyWholeFossa-size_restricted.gif

It's this.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Mario 64.

But in the previous gen (SNES) I don't think there was a universally agreed GOAT. Mario World, LttP, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Super Metroid were all huge in their own ways. I do think the undisputed GOAT on NES is SMB3 though.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Nintendo dominating the answers in this thread.
Sony has never had a GOAT for me, though it's been my favorite ecosystem since PS1. Nintendo puts out a GOAT or two every decade, but then there is this huge drop in quantity and quality. Sony just consistently gets a dozen great games per year and Nintendo might get 1 must play game per year on average at least according to my tastes.

Bottom line I get Nintendo platforms for the GOATs and portability and Sony for everything else....or PC.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Well for myself it was Super Mario World + Yoshi's Island. Don't ask me to separate them because you know you can't.

Also I'm sure a lot of people saw Mario 64 as the GOAT for awhile.

Feb 16, 2018
doom
quake
mario 64
sid meier's civilization (or colonization. or civ 2. kind of before my time to know which one to pick)

lots of good 2D action/rpg-ish games, but the value over replacement for any one of those is super low. not really GOAT status

quake 3 arena was the real 90s GOAT though. ocarina of time is a nice package of things, but few of its pieces are really the best version of that kind of game. 20 years later after thousands of FPS games came out (not even an exaggeration), none of them ended up better than quake 3

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Considering OoT was a 3D take on LTTP, it's difficult to say it's the GOAT of anything, even in 1998 and within its own franchise.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Yoshi Island 'Heroes are born' fighting Raven on the moon, turning into a train and riding the baby drawings on the wall... how good was that? One of the first games that got 'the feels' for me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think Super Mario Bros. 3 was the closest thing there was to this at the time, but OoT was really more of a consensus GOAT than anything that came before. Or after, I suppose, because honestly OoT in the 2000s is probably the most highly a game will ever get praised in terms of its placements on "best of" lists. It was a game that everyone could agree upon as a landmark game before the medium became more diverse in terms of genre and scope.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Super Metroid is the easy answer for me. There could be arguments made for other games, but nothing really matches the perfection of that game for me.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Doom, and no that wasn't only a PC thing, it was everywhere on every platform and influenced so many other games that its importance can't be overstated. Even Quake couldn't really dethrone it and the original version still holds up, probably will forever. Also Doom 64 > OoT, fact.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally forgot Pokemon was pre-OOT though I guess the franchise didn't blow up till a tad later.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't think there was any game as singularly chosen as the GOAT, because it was still a time where lots of genres were getting (re)invented going into 3D. For me it was Secret of Mana, but that's a very personal choice.

Outside of that,

Tetris
Megaman 2
Streetfighter 2
Monkey Island 2
Warcraft 2 (lot of 2s here)
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Metroid
Mario 64
Final Fantasy VII
Daggerfall
Goldeneye 007

And many more, could probably all lay claim to this title in the average schoolyard fight, before it all converged into Ocarina of Time.

(I want to put a Sega game in there as well, but was there ever one considered a GOAT game? Gunstar Heroes?)

This is a solid list. I'd add Doom, maybe swap Warcraft for Red Alert (Westwood for life!). There would be others if we go back to pre NES games but I didn't live through that time so it would just be speculation.

For Sega, they had the arcade scene on lock with games like Daytona and Virtua Fighter 2 being considered the greatest in their genres. They also predated Nintendo's 3D games by several years and had truly unapproachable presentation.

I feel like back then there wasn't just one GOAT. It was about being the very best in a particular genre. I still look at things in the same way.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah how could I forget Doom, doh.
Yes the arcades, but I don't feel like that ever came up in favorite games ever discussions, but I have to say it's a very long time ago. Sonic 1 mentioned earlier was not a bad pick though, if I put Goldeneye there which would have been in the GOAT discussion for all of 1 year before OoT, so too would Sonic before SF2 got released.

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of public mind share.

Street Fighter 2
Doom
Final Fantasy VII

I would have to go with Doom, it felt like it ushered in a new era of video games.