• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"3d world has lots of movements that were never seen in a 2d mario except mario run"

dLfARjq.gif

DpyojAb.gif

...the internet is pretty bad with Mario vs DK GBA gifs O.o

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
"3d world has lots of movements that were never seen in a 2d mario except mario run"

dLfARjq.gif

DpyojAb.gif

...the internet is pretty bad with Mario vs DK GBA gifs O.o
Still waiting for an actual sequel (gameplay wise) to these two games. We still haven't gotten one after all of this time.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Damn imagine just waiting for a game to actually come out to get all this info with none of the effort. Lol.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
19 Minutes left and I still don't feel like there's any padding.

I can't believe Andre got so much out of 90 seconds. That man is insane haha

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried this wasn't ever actually going to come out. Truly amazing to see the depth of knowledge on display here on the entire mario series. Well done GX.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Andre's analyses are second to none--can't wait to watch!

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
That was gloriously excessive. Well done.

And yes, I saw all of it. If that car becomes 3D World's Clown Car replacement, there will be race track levels.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually anything in this analysis that people didn't figure out after the first hour or two of it's announcement?

Seems like they took so long to put the video out that there's nothing new to say anymore, seems that way based on the writeup in the OP anyway

Terandle

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite ah-ha moments was laying out and concluding that the night time SM3DW level in the trailer was the airship theme.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually anything in this analysis that people didn't figure out after the first hour or two of it's announcement?

Seems like they took so long to put the video out that there's nothing new to say anymore, seems that way based on the writeup in the OP anyway
Five minutes into the video there's already stuff I never noticed.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
In this case they weren't even the first to analyze so much from so little.

This is only an hour long but this was posted only a couple of days after the announcement not a couple of weeks.

I was surprised at how little Poo knew about Mario Maker. It was like an hour of Kotaku asking Poo about something in the trailer and Poo not knowing what it was, heh.

My analysis got pretty much everything by the next morning, but it's not a video: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...-coming-june-2019.99497/page-17#post-17910161

------------------------------------

Okay, so anyway. Just finished watching the whole video. Good stuff. I have a few comments.

In 3D World, Ant troopers can serve the same function as spiketops.
JMM2DXSl.png

I believe this will be a customization option for ant troopers via spiny helmets so there's no need for spiketops themselves in 3DW style.

The NSMB games have crates. Here's what happens when you slide into a stack of them as penguin Mario in NSMBU:
nruLjY1.gif

They are affected by gravity and can crush Mario.

Seesaws have been in Mario games before...
A5jzI0I.jpg

Technically they debuted in SMB3 as rotary lifts:
OjEwbwq.gif

These could spin constantly, stop and go, or, like a seesaw, be affected by mario's weight. The main difference is they don't reset to center after Mario jumps off and can spin 360 degrees.

I don't get why people jump to "night theme". Night makes no sense as a standalone theme since night has nothing unique to it besides the background. It makes much more sense that there are options to make any theme day or night with the default being day. Possibly other background options as well. In NSMBU especially this would change the lighting of the foreground tiles.

This is definitely just jungle theme:
10kQe6qm.jpg

The ground and poison are jungle. The skulls are a random decorative element. In SMM ground could generate up to 3 different textures on a tile, including textures that were new to Mario Maker. For example:
fv6XcBFl.jpg

Skulls make sense for jungle because of the poison water its associated with.

They've made day versions of NSMBU ice theme and SMW ghost house theme.

I think that starry background isn't just a night background though. That background in particular, unlike every other background in the game so far, doesn't feel like it belongs to the theme. It feels like a generic background that could be used in any theme. I think they picked it because it's the closest background they have so far that looks like Painted Swampland:
CITRZQDm.jpg

The normal day jungle background will probably be:
0mkjmuLm.jpg

And the normal night jungle background will probably be:
dEBQjD8m.jpg

We don't know if poison water is tied to Jungle Theme, but if it is, then the SMW and 3D World Jungle sections implies that you can get rid of it since it features water instead. 3DW had poison water. So hopefully we can get rid of lava in castles as well.

Last edited:

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I didn't even think of Mario's 3D World moveset coming over.

Shit, if the long jump is in 3D World is gonna be my most used game theme.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they talk about clear pipes and whether or not they're solid...but then the next topic is Ant Trooper and they don't mention the promo art shows them climbing on the clear pipes so I assume they are solid.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
We don't know if poison water is tied to Jungle Theme, but if it is, then the SMW and 3D World Jungle sections implies that you can get rid of it since it features water instead. 3DW had poison water. So hopefully we can get rid of lava in castles as well.

Wouldn't the idea that the type of water might be just an option being a point in favor of that just being a night theme, rather than the swamp one with a different background? It'd be neat to get background options, but I think there isn't much pointing to that right now.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't the idea that the type of water might be just an option point being a point in favor of that just being a night theme, rather than the swamp one with a different background? It'd be neat to get background options, but I think there isn't much pointing to that right now.
No. Adding water to a level would necessitate removing default liquids like lava and poison if they are still defaults. Since we can apparently change the levels of poison/lava in addition to water, it seems more likely that water and lava/poison are part of the water tools.

A night theme makes no sense because night isn't a theme. It's just a background set in other themes. We know jungle is a theme and it wouldn't make any sense to have a whole extra theme just to have jungle at night where the only difference is the background and lighting. That'd be 2 themes completely identical except for the background. It makes much more sense for backgrounds to be a toggle; much less complicated. Hence making new day backgrounds for themes that were set at night.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
The new enemy that blows bubbles/air upward reminded me of the pipes that blow bubbles/air upward in underwater levels (such as in SMB3 and probably the NSMBs) rather than the tornado in SMB3.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
A night theme makes no sense because night isn't a theme. It's just a background set in other themes. We know jungle is a theme and it wouldn't make any sense to have a whole extra theme just to have jungle at night where the only difference is the background and lighting. That'd be 2 themes completely identical except for the background. It makes much more sense for backgrounds to be a toggle; much less complicated. Hence making new day backgrounds for themes that were set at night.

We see water in a poison level for the 3d World theme though, so it seems more likely we'll be able to set it manually, rather than the type of liquid being tied to the theme.

We haven't seen another shot of the supposed jungle theme in NSMB. It could look different from that. And the ability to choose backgrounds for all themes would obviously be a bigger feature than just one extra theme... but there's nothing in the main menu pointing to that choice existing at this point.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
We see water in a poison level for the 3d World theme though, so it seems more likely we'll be able to set it manually, rather than the type of liquid being tied to the theme.

We haven't seen another shot of the supposed jungle theme in NSMB. It could look different from that. And the ability to choose backgrounds for all themes would obviously be a bigger feature than just one extra theme... but there's nothing in the main menu pointing to that choice existing at this point.
The ground tiles of this theme are NSMBU jungle ground tiles.
OqGJPkC.gif

It doesn't make sense for a night theme because all it brings to the table is the time of day. They're making new backgrounds to accomodate different times of day anyway, so I dunno why it seems like a big undertaking. For the most part they're just lighting changes and palette/texture swaps.

The fact that that starry background clashes so much with the level and looks so different from anything else in NSMBU style is a big indicator. Beyond that, the best evidence is that they've gone to the trouble to make new day backgrounds for other themes. The idea that they did this to avoid confusion with a night theme is silly since there are other themes that will have a dark background that they simply cannot work around, such as SMB1 underground and castle and SMB3 underground. I don't see how it's that big a deal for Nintendo considering they've already gone to the trouble of making new backgrounds, they already have so many backgrounds already made that they can easily use for this feature, and the majority of the backgrounds they don't have can be made fairly easily by just changing the lighting in NSMBU style or editing the colors on textures. It'd likely be a toggle that comes up when you select theme. Devoting a whole theme to night and keeping it locked to that when there's nothing more to night than a background would be crazy. Themes are for things that have foregrounds and backgrounds.

One thing Gamexplain pointed out was this plant:
JQWLaxb.jpg

Which is a smaller version of the decorative plants in NSML jungle. They are too big for the random ground decoration elements so they had to make new ones. The decorative elements can only be 1 tile long by 2 or 3 tiles tall max, or 1 tile tall and 3 tiles long.

Last edited:

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
FIRE BROS CONFIRMED.

Thanks GX, you do incredible work.

I'm hoping the entire Band of Bros are in the game.

optimiss

May 17, 2018
This was well worth the wait! I noticed the slanted angles on the SMB1 theme air ships looked weird but didn't realize it was a slope until the video pointed it out lol.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
While I did know about most of the hidden stuff going into the video (as I analysed the video myself multiple times and was keeping up with smaller analyses here and on other sites) there were a few small things that I haven't seen pointed out before, like some background details and the running sparks at the end of the trailer. Still, congrats to Andre for making such a complete and informative video for people who weren't keeping up with this stuff!

Though, I do disagree with the Night Theme idea though. Back in the reveal thread, RagnarokX pretty much convinced me that we'll either see multiple backgrounds for themes, or simply a day/night toggle. I think that's the most-likely explanation for the difference in the SMW Ghost House background and the new NSMBU Ice background.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Their last few analyses have been a touch disappointing, but this one is a work of obsessive art.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Andre holy crap, a 90 minute long analysis. I look forward to watching it later tonight. Hope you're taking a break from the old analysis machine after this.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Man, watching this video & all I could think was how I can't wait to see what wild levels this crew can make in the game.

I didn't even realize we're probably getting vertical levels, but I just thought of something. That was SMB2's big gimmick. I know the Analysis suggested there's only 5 games, but this has me wondering if we might see SMB2 after all.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Man, watching this video & all I could think was how I can't wait to see what wild levels this crew can make in the game.

I didn't even realize we're probably getting vertical levels, but I just thought of something. That was SMB2's big gimmick. I know the Analysis suggested there's only 5 games, but this has me wondering if we might see SMB2 after all.
It would certainly make me happy if that was the case.

But the sobering thing is that both 3 and World had their own vertical levels, as well, so, I don't get my hopes up too high...