• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Gamexplain's Game of the Decade
#1 The Legend of Zelda BOTW
#2 The Last of Us
#3 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
#4 (TIE) Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Dragon Quest XI S

TLOU made #2 on a Nintendo focused channel of all places. Impressive.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Having finished DQXI, I find it hard to believe the S version belongs on this list. It's a solid B+ game, Not an A, A+ or S grade like all the others on the list.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Having finished DQXI, I find it hard to believe the S version belongs on this list. It's a solid B+ game, Not an A, A+ or S grade like all the others on the list.

Yeah DQ11S is a very solid game, but it doesn't really have anything spectacular about it. Worthy of a place on any GoTY list but not a GoTD list.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
To provide some more context, each of the GX members brought their own personal game of the year for every year from 2010 to 2019.

Which one won game of the year for that specific year was decided by a vote from the viewers.

The GOTD finalists were:
- Breath of the Wild
- Skywards Sword
- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Dragon Quest XI S
- Xenoblade
- The Last of Us
- Persona 5
- Mario Galaxy 2
- Smash Ultimate
- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
- DOOM (2016)
- Splatoon 1

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Surprised TLOU of all games made it into a GameXplain list. I had hoped they'd put Gravity Rush 2 somewhere :(

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Smash Ultimate and Persona 5 are my favorites this decade so I'm glad at least one made it.

Ultimate getting DLC into 2020 muddles it a bit lol.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Recency bias

Give it a couple years and the hyperbole on DQXI will fade. It is not great in story or exploration and the combat is terrible without draconian modifiers.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised TLOU of all games made it into a GameXplain list. I had hoped they'd put Gravity Rush 2 somewhere :(

ufkszp7.gif

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
To provide some more context, each of the GX members brought their own personal game of the year for every year from 2010 to 2019.

Which one won game of the year for that specific year was decided by a vote from the viewers.

The GOTD finalists were:
- Breath of the Wild
- Skywards Sword
- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Dragon Quest XI S
- Xenoblade
- The Last of Us
- Persona 5
- Mario Galaxy 2
- Smash Ultimate
- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
- DOOM (2016)
- Splatoon 1
That's a pretty neat format honestly

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Finally DKTF makes it onto a list. I think DKCR should have been on there too, those would be my #1 and 2.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
You had me until TLOU.

It is such an overrated game. I get it you like the story but the actual game-play is middling.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Skyward Sword getting some recognition for once, finally. Having just finished Dragon Quest XI S, it being featured on this list is also well-deserved, I think it's an incredible game. Loved it.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I was following along each day and yeah, that was a really fun series of videos. Although I did not think it was 2017's game of the year, I voted for Sonic Mania anyway simply because Steve's presentation was hilarious. Also, it's obvious that the true game of the year is Microsoft PowerPoint. Great job GameXplain!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I was following along each day and yeah, that was a really fun series of videos. Although I did not think it was 2017's game of the year, I voted for Sonic Mania anyway simply because Steve's presentation was hilarious. Also, it's obvious that the true game of the year is Microsoft PowerPoint. Great job GameXplain!
Sonic Mania was really high in my choices too. Steve sold it extremely well! Thanks for sticking through the whole series! It's one of my favourite things GX has ever done

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised BotW took it. People have been raving about that game for years, and I don't think they'll stop anytime soon. (I also think it's a spectacular game and deserving of all the acclaim it has received.)

Dec 2, 2017

The people it clicks for, it really seems to click for. As a warm safe comfortable kind of thing.

For me it was the game that made me realize main line DQ just isn't for me anymore until it undergoes some kind of transformation. But given that it revels in its own nostalgia, I'm not expecting that any time soon.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah DQ11S is a very solid game, but it doesn't really have anything spectacular about it. Worthy of a place on any GoTY list but not a GoTD list.
Personally I agree with their choice here. The story is solid throughout with the highs reaching some of the highest points in any JRPG for me. Particularly parts of Act 2 and 3. Add in a great combat system, great music, well fleshed out characters, and plenty of side activities and general story to keep you busy for dozens of hours, it's among my personal favorite JRPGs.

Ash Paulson said it was his favorite JRPG post-Chrono Trigger, and while I wouldn't go that far, I think it comes close several times throughout the game.

Sonic Mania was really high in my choices too. Steve sold it extremely well! Thanks for sticking through the whole series! It's one of my favourite things GX has ever done
Thanks a lot to the whole team for the effort you put into those. I had a blast listening to them each day (helped keep me busy during the long drives home), and it really highlights how many fantastic games there were in this past decade.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The only list that will give TF its decade props, bless the nintendo focus, it has no chance elsewhere!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I just don't see what most seem to see in breath of the wild. Kind of makes me sad!
It is a great game based on exploration and creativity, though flawed, there's hardly anything quite like it in the market and if you're willing to put the time, you'll find yourself within one of the best open worlds we've seen so far. As I said, there are flaws for sure and they deserve some criticism, but that overall package is very solid and of high quality.
You had me until TLOU.

It is such an overrated game. I get it you like the story but the actual game-play is middling.
Nah, gameplay is superb, it's the reason I kept coming back to it for 10 full playthroughs. Seeing how much they're improving it in Part II makes me even more excited for it.

Oct 28, 2017
My top 10: Not in this order the order is hard but this is the games

Super Meat Boy
Catherine
Virtues Last Reward
GTA V
Binding of Issac Rebirth
Rocket League
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steins Gate
Spelunky
Call of Duty Black Ops

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a great game based on exploration and creativity, though flawed, there's hardly anything quite like it in the market and if you're willing to put the time, you'll find yourself within one of the best open worlds we've seen so far. As I said, there are flaws for sure and they deserve some criticism, but that overall package is very solid and of high quality.

Nah, gameplay is superb, it's the reason I kept coming back to it for 10 full playthroughs. Seeing how much they're improving it in Part II makes me even more excited for it.
Yeah don't get me wrong I played through it and liked it a lot but I'm missing the deep connection so many have to it which I envy.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I think Splatoon 2 should be on that list. It's one of my personal favorites of the generation and somehow managed to carve out it's own unique take on the hugely overcrowded competitive FPS genre.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Replace The Last of Us with Persona 5, change the order a bit, and you pretty much have my list.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
To each their own, I guess, but I don't think dragon question 11 deserves to even be in a top 10.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
TLOU's gameplay is awesome. The diverse encounter design is extremely good and emphasizes improvisation and fast planning/execution as you take in your surroundings. The game gives you a small toolset to work with and each of the tools you're given has a distinct and straightforward role in combat that lets you determine at a glance what your best options are for taking on a given scenario. I used to think that TLOU's gameplay wasn't for me but I got hooked when I played the game again on PS4 and now it's one of my favorite TPS experiences ever. Feels like a highly polished, fat-free survival game during combat and I appreciate that a lot.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can certainly get behind a top 4 of BotW, TLOU, Smash Ultimate and Galaxy 2.

Not completed either of DKCTF for DQXI to say that about them.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Dark Souls lost out to Skyward Sword previously...
Someone's got some Gamexplaining to do here!

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Recency bias

Give it a couple years and the hyperbole on DQXI will fade. It is not great in story or exploration and the combat is terrible without draconian modifiers.

Even with Draconian modifiers isn't something special really. You can go almost through all Act 1 and Act 2 with the same Erick tactic of poisoning/confusing and duplicate to max damage on the boss with dual wielding. There are two-three bosses that offer a greater challenge but I agree the combat is nothing special...

That said I never went for the Act3 since I burnt out with Act2 and didn't want to know anything more about the game.

On the brighter side... Smash Bros Ultimate on 3rd and Tropical Freeze tied on 4th are great. Galaxy 2 should probably be a contender for first place. That is the culmination of 3D Mario design.