• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it originally was going to feature various Nintendo characters.

Iwata Asks

Considering the stupidly large playable cast, I think that could be interesting since it'd have a much larger selection of characters than Smash Bros.
yeah mario was going to be fist, link sword, etc etc. Would have been cool to see all those characters I agree.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is the outlier, but I guess with the success of 3H and the resurgence of the series they wanted it to have another shot?

Considering how many DS -> 3DS ports Atlus put out, (and the 3DS has BC, so you already could play all of those games on the system) it might have been more of an Atlus decision. Obviously Nintendo had some involvement, but it feels like Atlus just wanted to get something out on the system while SMT5 takes 700 years to create.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be interested in seeing how the stretch goals are structured. Each port is going to cost money. Will it be all or nothing or will they, for example, have the Switch version as the first goal?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I think you are right, but I think those people are delusional. Astral Chain is 1M seller new IP and Bayonetta is important for Nintendo considering they had that as one of their big reveals in The Game Awards

What are you talking about NSESN? Surely if this succeeds we will get a Breath of the Wild port to PS4 kickstarter next!

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
100% a Niche game that is a harder sell than a sequel to something else so I get what you mean, I just feel like the media is due for another big Kickstarter to rally around. Guess it depends on their expectations?

I'm more curious about how they plan on adapting the second screen gimmick to button prompts.
Maybe hold the minus button and a transparent screen comes up?

I'll be interested in seeing how the stretch goals are structured. Each port is going to cost money. Will it be all or nothing or will they, for example, have the Switch version as the first goal?
Well, if this is to be believed in how it's going to be announced, it sounds like that Switch and PS4 will be the minimum platforms that they're seeking funding for. I do sincerely hope that they get PC in there as well, as Kickstarter games have a hell of a time getting their money without a PC version involved as an initial choice.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% a Niche game that is a harder sell than a sequel to something else so I get what you mean, I just feel like the media is due for another big Kickstarter to rally around. Guess it depends on their expectations?

I'm more curious about how they plan on adapting the second screen gimmick to button prompts.
The entire game is playable with a Pro Controller already on Wii U. You don't even need to use the gamepad for the second screen stuff, as you can cycle between screens on the television with a button press.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is the game good? I remember receiving some so so reviews and it doest look particulary hot on screens or videos

It takes a while to get into if you don't know what you're doing, which is the big issue with it. When it clicks, it's honestly one of the best action games of all time. Like Pikmin meets the standard flavour of Platinum action gameplay.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Lol, I doubt Nintendo will give a shit. They'll keep putting their money into new PG projects and games that have a chance of selling and if this somehow manages to sell, just take the L

edit: Did you mean Kickstarter money?

Yeah, the kickstarter money, think that it'd work as a publicity stunt, IF Nintendo still has anything to do with the IP.

A sequel is farfetched.

But maybe now it's closer to happening than it's ever been, if the kickstarter is succesfull and the game isn't a complete bomb maybe they can get another publisher or kickstart a sequel.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
You literally said it didn't sell well and was't received well. Now you're changing it to "compared to Returns" when that was shown to be incorrect. Every ported Wii U game was already a million+ seller on the system. And the games that weren't were either because Nintendo didn't want to (like TPHD) or they did badly (like W101 and, sadly, Xenoblade Chronicles X)

Edit: Tokyo Mirage Sessions is the outlier, but I guess with the success of 3H and the resurgence of the series they wanted it to have another shot?
Switch is entering its 3rd years, and Atlus had exactly 0 games on it.
It's more like people pressured Atlus to release a game than Nintendo wanting to port TMS in the first place.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sucks that they have to do that, but people forget how embarassingly little they were actually able to sell on the WiiU. Nintendo and Platinum aren't gonna divert funds and resources in this port without significant assurance that people actually care, let alone a port that might need some heavy retooling because of the tablet stuff.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, the kickstarter money, think that it'd work as a publicity stunt, IF Nintendo still has anything to do with the IP.

But maybe now it's closer to happening than it's ever been, if the kickstarter is succesfull and the game isn't a complete bomb maybe they can get another publisher or kickstart a sequel.
The Kickstarter should go extremely well and the game sell extremely well.

Nobody wanted to pay a port, which is much cheaper than paying a new game.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how many DS -> 3DS ports Atlus put out, (and the 3DS has BC, so you already could play all of those games on the system) it might have been more of an Atlus decision. Obviously Nintendo had some involvement, but it feels like Atlus just wanted to get something out on the system while SMT5 takes 700 years to create.
For whatever reason I forgot it was part Atlus IP, but those reasons make sense

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Sucks that they have to do that, but people forget how embarassingly little they were actually able to sell on the WiiU. Nintendo and Platinum aren't gonna divert funds and resources in this port, let alone a port that might need some heavy retooling because of the tablet stuff.
the game is already fully playable with a pro controller, no retooling necessary

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that they have to do that, but people forget how embarassingly little they were actually able to sell on the WiiU. Nintendo and Platinum aren't gonna divert funds and resources in this port without significant assurance that people actually care, let alone a port that might need some heavy retooling because of the tablet stuff.
I never used the touchscreen, it played fine.

Sucks that they have to do that, but people forget how embarassingly little they were actually able to sell on the WiiU. Nintendo and Platinum aren't gonna divert funds and resources in this port, let alone a port that might need some heavy retooling because of the tablet stuff.
As I mentioned, there's really nothing that needs retooling, since the game is already designed to be played with a regular controller from start to finish already. Platinum did their due diligence long before this was even breathed as a possibility for porting. The real cost at this point is potentially upgrading the game to use the more modern features of their internal engine and optimization, as the game could run shockingly bad on Wii U at points.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's more like people pressured Atlus to release a game than Nintendo wanting to port TMS in the first place.
They have one game on it, and having been working on a second since before the hardware's launch.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds like a weird investment. You got money from Tencent and you use it to get the right front Nintendo?

Maybe they are going to do a wonderful 101 inspired clone instead.
If they want a new IP, they need to try to make something else.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The second screen stuff is what killed my interest in the game originally. Tried the demo and said "nah fuck that". Did not like the Wii U gamepad and I wasn't buying a Switch pro controller just to get the experience I should have been able to get with the Wii U gamepad itself.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Surprising news, both the Kickstarter part and Nintendo selling an IP. TMS #FE was re-released 2 weeks ago and it was never a big game, I wonder how poorly TW101 performed that Nintendo didn't even fund a digital-only version of the game. AC sold more than 1M copies, which is good, and it could help boost TW101sales. I know the game was divisive, I liked it a lot even if I agree that it has some big flaws, but I had would never imagined a port being funded by the fans.

Good for Platinum though, they can keep with the franchise.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The second screen stuff is what killed my interest in the game originally. Tried the demo and said "nah fuck that". Did not like the Wii U gamepad and I wasn't buying a Switch pro controller just to get the experience I should have been able to get with the Wii U gamepad itself.

You didn't need to. You could put the picture-in-picture and use the analogs with the Gamepad.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It is a bad look because it shows Nintendo has no confidence in the game and its developer's wishes to try it again. It may be common in the industry, but it's irrelevant because it is not made public, because it will look bad that a developer wants to do something but the higher ups said no. Rewording the question to imply that PG going to Kickstarter to fund a re-release of a Nintendo game isn't a bad look because PG still has other games in development for Nintendo doesn't make it any less true.

I love Platinum to death and Wonderful 101 is literally a top 10 game of all time for me...but this is a business, and Nintendo has reason to believe that there's no money or success here for them. Calling it a "bad look" is just odd.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they think revisiting this game is worth so much effort.

It didn't really feel like one of their better efforts tbh.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If W101 surprisingly does well multiplatform do you guys think Nintendo would pay to get the sequel exclusive?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It will bet funded but the port is gonna flop too since the limited amount of people who want it will buy it through the kickstarter.

I will back it cause I love Platinum and at least it's a game that exists and is finished. I'm not being asked to back the idea of a game

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

Wild guess:
100K for Switch port, then subsequent funding tiers for PC (Steam/EGS), PS4, XBO.

No Stadia or PS5/XSX.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

Tokyo Mirage Sessions didn't do great this time either. But, it had a more likely chance of success than W101 and other new IPs due to Fire Emblem popularity and its attachment of FE/SMT properties.

Of course just like Wii U, it didn't do anything yet again, but it still made more sense over W101. A better comparison to W101 is something like Code Name: Steam. Entirely new ideas from new IPs that just didn't get an audience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.