• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently deciding not to burn money on ports of games that sold like 200k copies worldwide is a "bad look" - I'm so confused. Some of y'all must think that companies are charities or something.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Seems kinda dumb to discourage contributions from PC gamers until they meet a certain threshold of backers.

PC gamers (who seem to make up the majority of people funding games on KS) would not really have much reason to back the project day one if they weren't promising a PC version.

The most successful KS campaigns have strong momentum from day one, why limit that momentum?

Hey, I'm not saying it's a good idea (it's not), but that's what I imagine will happen if they aren't just going to do all the platforms at once.

You are right: They should, at the very least, have PC as an initial platform. That's a massive potential market they could be losing out on by side-lining PC.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Nintendo allowed SEGA and PG to use the newly voiced records to be used in the PC Port of the first Bayonetta, which they paid for?
And if Nintendo doesn't need the IP and want's to maintain a healthy realtionship with PG I can see them seeling the IP to PG.
To have a studio with such talent, to work on many exclusive projects is more important than an IP that Nintendo considers not worth the hassle.
Plus PG are pros enough to understand that if a company (which is there to make money) doesn't wanna put more money into it,
they don't start acting like childs

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Want to actually explain why? If not, I have no interest in your thoughts.

It shows Nintendo has no confidence in:

- Their original IPs
- Their developer partners
- Taking risks with fan favorite games

Not sure Platinum having to go their own way to fund it is a good look for anyone, especially for Nintendo.

Better than denying Platinum the opportunity entirely and no one getting the game. It's actually quite unprecedented for something like this to happen

It not being as bad as that doesn't make this good.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is pretty sad that Nintendo would not throw some spare money to port W101 so PG had to get the IP to make a KS...

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
That Nintendo or any publisher was willing to fund this game is pretty sad.

Why does nobody believe in Platinum Games?

- Their original IPs

Not sure Platinum having to go their own way to fund it is a good look for anyone, especially for Nintendo.
I'm not sure how you would come to the conclusion that a port of W101 shows no confidence in their development partners when they've continued to work with said development partner on several games since and have at least one more game in the pipeline that they're funding.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Their original IPs
You'd have a point if Nintendo hadn't just published a new Platinum IP six months ago and weren't funding Bayonetta 3. You'd also have a point if Nintendo hadn't created and nurtured multiple new IP over the past five years. This is not a bad look for Nintendo. They're showing a partner respect by working with them to allow them full use of an IP they (Platinum) cherish. Super pleased with how Nintendo handled this situation. In most cases, the IP would languish, never to be seen again.

Anyway, I appreciate your response.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Their original IPs

• they did have faith in it. they were rewarded with nothing
  • sure, that's why they greenlit Bayo 3, Astral Chain, and worked with them on Star Fox. talk about a lack of faith
  • there ain't enough fans to matter

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Sounds like a good idea.

If the game is going to potentially sell like ass again, this is a good way to get it out there without taking too big of a risk.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
I'm surprised that Nintendo isnt funding this, they seem interested in porting everything to the switch.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think kickstarter will do any favor to the game reputation with how bad it sold in the first place.
And a pc version wouldn't even be a lock? like what,..

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

- Their original IPs

You would have an argument if Nintendo didn't just release a huge new highly acclaimed and successful IP developed by .... Platinum Games...

You say it's a bad look for Nintendo, but both companies are still actively working and thriving together. Your head canon for this situation is so weird.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
there's some real masterclass businesspeople in this thread comin' in with the "bad look" takes
next they'll call this move a "big yikes"

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Well in the end Nintendo is a mega corp. I'm sure some executives really wants it but in the end it's all about money, not the fans nor "partners". If PG is proposing a port that will sell, Nintendo will take it like bay 2, hell they even fund bay 3 now. But w101 is clearly not a popular game.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I have a switch....but if they are making a port, they are going to put it on pc too.....

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

- Their original IPs

Nintendo is literally supporting a second sequel to a niche action game and just funded a sci-fi action game last year, both from Platinum games. I would like for you to explain how funding sequels and new IPs from their partners shows how Nintendo has no confidence in their original IPs and developer partners. Go on. I'll wait.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
If this is true it'll be the first game I ever will help fund kickstart and I will do it day 1.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I though Nintendo owned W101?

A port of Bayo 2 would make some sense but even then that seems unlikely.

I dunno man. This rumor sounds too weird for me.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Imagine their presentation to publishers.

PG: here's why you should fund us on W101 port
PG: first, looking at the sales on WiiU

Publishers: WTF

Oct 27, 2017

- Their original IPs

How do some of you get this shit in your head? If Nintendo had no faith in their dev partners or funding fan favorites they wouldn't have continued to fund games three more games with Platinum (Bayo 2, Astral Chain, Bayo 3). They wouldn't have funded Bayo 2 and 3, the FE series would have died with the last GC title, the Xenoblade series wouldn't have ever continued past 1, etc

All this because they wouldn't re-release a game you liked. What a bizarre hot take

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

- Their original IPs

No, it simply shows that it has no faith for The Wonderful 101, a game that had a bomb as few have seen.

They continue to collaborate for original ip with other studios, they continue to collaborate with Platinum Games and W101 does not have enough fans to care for Nintendo in the least.

"fan favorite".

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently deciding not to burn money on ports of games that sold like 200k copies worldwide is a "bad look" - I'm so confused. Some of y'all must think that companies are charities or something.

I wish The Wonderful 101 sold anything close to that.

- Their original IPs

I'm a big fan of TW101 but let's not get carried away here.

Nintendo has been doing a great job of releasing new IP this generation and working closely with 3rd party partners to develop content. That they trusted the likes of Tecmo Koei for example, with a mainline Fire Emblem title speaks volumes. And I won't get started on Smash.

Frankly, The Wonderful 101 isn't a fan favourite. It has a cult following on the internet at best. This just shows Nintendo have no faith in this IP in particular, not new IP, taking risks or working with partner publishers/studios.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I like to see how PlatinumGames markets this. They had issues with how Nintendo marketed W101. Tho that demo they released was awful

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
>nintendo didn't want to do the port but allows platinum to port the game and self publish it
>"this makes nintendo look bad"

era can be so weird sometimes.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think TW101 was a far bigger market failure than most of us realize. Which is saying something, because it's pretty apparent this game was a huge disappointment commercially.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Their original IPs

Nonsense.

- They funded the game in the first place and let Kamiya do his thing with Nintendos usual input.
- They trust PG so much, that they are funding 2 Bayonetta sequels, which nobody else wanted. Also we got Astral Chain
- Unlike other big publishers, they sold the IP back to PG. They could have been dicks and just say no, but they didn't.
- "Fan favourite game" is a bit of a hyperbole for a game that sold bad, even for Wii U standards. A passionate and loud fanbase for sure, but that's like funding a new Shenmue for 100 Millions. There are other games that would need that money

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should make a new thread asking if people here would buy a W101 re-release assuming it comes out on their preferred platform.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for confirming.
Still makes absolutely no sense for both Nintendo and Platinum. They'll have to give detailed explanations...

The rumor gamexplain talked about is for the 3rd. No need to wait weeks.

Now that Cupcake is saying it's true I'm willing to believe it. I don't know HOW it makes sense yet, but hey, this is why I don't talk about most shit I hear in the first place.

- Their original IPs

It's not hard not to have confidence in platinum. I know other people who worked on previous games of theirs who say they're really hard to work with because they need constant supervision, so if you're the kind of publisher who thinks it's a good thing to give people money and come back in two years, you're going to be displeased with the results.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
>nintendo didn't want to do the port but allows platinum to port the game and self publish it
>"this makes nintendo look bad"

era can be so weird sometimes.
Also Nintendo has no "trust" in the developer that just developed Astral Chain for them and is working on Bayo 3.

Embarrassing takes itt - not that it should be surprising.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a bad thing. For Nintendo, or Platinum, or anyone else.

The alternative was the IP being stuck in Nintendo's vault until the end of time and nothing being done with it; sharing space with Eternal Darkness and Codename STEAM. At we have a chance for more people to play it, and hey, Nintendo gets something out of it to. Win-win.

I like to see how PlatinumGames markets this. They had issues with how Nintendo marketed W101. Tho that demo they released was awful
TBH, I'm not sure you could really do a good demo for W101. The gameplay relies so heavily with how the story progresses, and that's before getting into all the strange and fun detours it takes to shake up the formula throughout. A demo could only ever give you an idea of how the combat flow normally goes, but that's the extent of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.