• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the two people are the same. if they're throwing money at a kickstarter, they already have an idea of what they want. those aren't the same kinds of people who walk into walmart to buy switch games
That's fair yeah, I do however think the switch community would also have a percentage of people that simply commits to the kickstarter if it's marketed at all anywhere for the same reason

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
That money is meant to be invested in new large game projects, not ports. I doubt Tencent would also want to fund a port as there is very little for them to gain from this.
That depends on who we believe, there are also those who say Tencent partnership is completely hands off and silent. Or do we actually think they'll be sitting on PG's table and giving input on their decisions?

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they'll be very smart about it. Too many Kickstarter projects mess themselves over by overpromising and having tons of physical rewards. For their first KS Platinum should keep it very simple.

ALSO! Make their Steam/EGS plans abundantly clear. I can't stress this enough if they want to avoid drama.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Thanks for the advice!!!

giphy.gif

Cucurbitacée

Oct 28, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
I'm wondering if the Nintendo IP content that is present in he Wii U version will be present in the Switch version. And if that's the case what would be the case for other platforms? Simply remove it? Use IP from somewhere else?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Looks like they sold the IP back

Unless it's just Toto really believing his predictions, just like when he said a Switch Pro was releasing in 2019 then 2020 when it didn't happen.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the game good? I remember receiving some so so reviews and it doest look particulary hot on screens or videos
I personally think it's the most disappointing Platinum/Clover game I've played besides TMNT and that other licenced game. I prefered that Viewtiful Joe DS game or Transformers.
W101 is the textbook example on why you can't give full creative freedom to someone without checks. It's a game with some great moments buried under terrible decisions that make playing it from start to finish a chore. You will cherish the Hang-On and Space Harrier sections of Bayonetta after that. They'd need to revisit much more than the controls to make it a good experience.

wasn't it fully playable with just a wii u pro controller?
Yeah, Platinum designed the game in such a way where you never needed the GamePad in order to play through it from beginning to end. Any gameplay segment that beamed over to the GamePad would instead have a PiP on the TV, and all the Unite Forms are just as easily done (if not easier, even!) with the right analog stick. They made the game surprisingly port-friendly, unlike a fair few Wii U games that are doomed to remain on the console with their GamePad reliance.

If true, a hell of a lot of luck to them if they decide to not make PC an initial platform offering.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can honestly totally see Nintendo selling their rights if it meant they kept the good work relationship they have with PG, they clearly think the game has zero chance of being successful if they release it normally (can't even blame them considering how bad it did initially). PG going the Kickstarter route also makes total sense in them being able to galvanize the small but really passionate fan base.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm wondering if the Nintendo IP content that is present in he Wii U version will be present in the Switch version. And if that's the case what would be the case for other platforms? Simply remove it? Use IP from somewhere else?
I don't believe anything was explicitly Nintendo themed, it more parodied Nintendo elements. I guess Wonder Gamer is the closest with a Famicom Controller Hat? Maybe they'll change it to the respective platform's controller

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Bunch of weird takes in here.

I assume investors have little faith in W101 because it didn't sell well the first time, so doing it as a kickstarter makes sense. Also given the cult following of the both the game and Platinum there's also zero perfect chance this fails unless the goal is insanely high.

You realize a partnership with Tencent doesn't just mean they give you free money to blow on a risky passion project right?

This is exactly why Im so confused by the takes in this thread. It's like people think Tencent just gave Platinum a huge check and then walked away into the sunset lol. As amazing as W101 has always sounded (never played cuz lord knows I'm not buying a WiiU for that) the reality is it sold horribly like real real bad. How does any company justify just throwing money at a thing that did that poorly just cuz they've seen a lot of people talking about it online? There's a really good chance this is literally the only way we get a port and the only way for them to ever justify a sequel. No one is saying you have to empty out your wallet for them but given Platinum's track record I have absolutely no problem essentially pre-ordering the game in order to help ensure it gets made.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
And the reason Nintendo won't fund this is because? Nintendo have financed titles just as obscure as this.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad look for Nintendo.
It's actually a great look for Nintendo.

- The Wonderful 101 was one of the Wii U's biggest flops. And it wasn't a cheap game to produce
- Because of this, Nintendo, for completely understandable reasons, has no interest in revisiting the IP
- So Nintendo sold its stake in the IP to Platinum, so they can do with the franchise as they wish

Good on Nintendo for working out a deal with Platinum.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I don't have much money right now but I would put at least 1 dollar to help.
2 dollars if they port to steam.
3 dollars if they say fuck you to EGS.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

- The Wonderful 101 was one of the Wii U's biggest flops. And it wasn't a cheap game to produce
- Because of this, Nintendo, for completely understandable reasons, has no interest in revisiting the IP
- So Nintendo sold its stake in the IP to Platinum, so they can do with the franchise as they wish

Not a single one of those bullet points is a good look for Nintendo.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bad look for Nintendo.
I don't think. If this Kickstarter exists, it's because Nintendo doesn't give a crap. Nintendo cant look that bad by not wanting to port a game that was a GIGANTIC bomb.

If it ends up being a wildly successful kickstarter, then you can make an argument that Nintendo should've just ported it; however, if it ends up being a failed Kickstarter (which is a realistic possibility) then no ones going to give the side eye to Nintendo.

It would be a bad look of Nintendo just ignored this whole thing and didn't let PG use the IP and let it just die completely. THAT would've been a bad look. Remember, if this Kickstarter actually exists, it would be because Nintendo allowed PG to either buy the IP or use the IP.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There's a good chance that Platinum will thank Nintendo somewhere in the Kickstarter for their help.

But yeah, the IP has changed ownership.

Tiny update:

I believe I may have misinterpreted the IP ownership stuff based on what I was told, as the message around it is a little confusing/unclear. I'm not exactly sure who owns the IP at this point.

However, I can still confirm that The Wonderful 101 is coming to multiple platforms. Including PlayStation and Xbox.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Point number 1 just reinforces how badly the Wii U performed.
Point number 2 makes it clear that because the game and console underperformed, the IP was effectively DOA.
Point number 3 is good for Platinum but bad for Nintendo because they've lost the rights to an IP.

None of those are a good look for Nintendo. But, it's great for Platinum, as they can do what they wish with the game.

Oct 27, 2017
You're saying they look bad for Nintendo? It just looks like a usual case of a game not selling well and a publisher not wanting to re-release it. This happens. Not every game is a guaranteed seller. I don't think it looks liek anything. People here are just making a big deal out of it

It reinforces that a niche game did niche numbers...for how badly the Wii U performed it didn't stop Splatoon from blowing up

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a bad look for Nintendo, just because they sold 1523 copies it shouldn't stop them from heavily investing on this.

Just so everyone knows:

There's a good chance that Platinum will thank Nintendo somewhere in the Kickstarter for their help. That doesn't mean ownership of the IP hasn't changed in some way.
I'm sure that Platinum would like to continue working with Nintendo on projects, so it would be a little strange if they didn't thank the company that made the game possible in the first place!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They are probably stretch goals.

So Xbox and PC gamers better get their wallets out if they want it.

Seems kinda dumb to discourage contributions from PC gamers until they meet a certain threshold of backers.

PC gamers (who seem to make up the majority of people funding games on KS) would not really have much reason to back the project day one if they weren't promising a PC version.

The most successful KS campaigns have strong momentum from day one, why limit that momentum?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saying it's not a good look for Nintendo is ironic since people here has always said "why don't they sell the IP if they're gonna do nothing with it"

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Point number 2 makes it clear that because the game and console underperformed, the IP was effectively DOA.
Point number 3 is good for Platinum but bad for Nintendo because they've lost the rights to an IP.

None of those are a good look for Nintendo. But, it's great for Platinum, as they can do what they wish with the game.
Thank you for your thoughts. I don't agree (well, I should say I don't fully agree, as you do bring up some valid points), but I appreciate you explaining your viewpoint.

Cucurbitacée

Oct 28, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
I don't believe anything was explicitly Nintendo themed, it more parodied Nintendo elements. I guess Wonder Gamer is the closest with a Famicom Controller Hat? Maybe they'll change it to the respective platform's controller
Wasn't there some direct reference in the medals? Or something like that? Damn! It's been a long time, maybe I'm confusing things with Bayonetta 2 or another game that I played at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.