• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2018
Didn't Astral Chain sell over 1m, and they are getting money from tencent? They have the money to make this, they shouldn't be begging for it from the fans.

But I guess it will take W101 to bomb a second time for Kamiya to finally shut up about it.

Oct 25, 2017
1000 dollar tier: Kamiya insults you for a solid hour over the phone then blocks your number
5000 dollar tier: Kamiya buys a plane ticket flies to your home address and punches you in the face while also getting your name wrong before leaving.
2000 tier: Kamiya tells you to ask your mom in front of your mom.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Will back! Nice to see Nintendo letting the IP loose a bit too, reminds me of Sony's approach with Kojipro, QD and TGC.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
- Will likely ask for several millions total (all platforms) and big video game kickstarters don't do well nowadays, even less for ports. At least one million for the base
They're not used to kickstarter, and from what we know, this doesn't seem really well prepared. It's not guaranteed money.
would a port for one platform really require a minimum of one million ? Unless they're also planning on going physical I assumed 500K as a base goal would have been enough if Platinum is also planning on funding partially the port and not relying entirely on kickstarter.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Funny tho, this game started as a super mario all star game, or so I read somewhere, nintendo decided to later not use their ips and make a new ip. This ending on PlayStation would be ironic.

Yeah, it originally was going to feature various Nintendo characters.

Iwata Asks

Considering the stupidly large playable cast, I think that could be interesting since it'd have a much larger selection of characters than Smash Bros.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
would a port for one platform really require a minimum of one million ? Unless they're also planning on going physical I assumed 500K as a base goal would have been enough assuming Platinum is also planning on funding partially the port and not relying entirely on kickstarter.
If they have to buy the ip, that probably costs more than the port itself.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Hopefully this is just to gauge interest since they have that Tencent cash. Interesting in light of the rumors about possible acquisition by Microsoft or others.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Where have you read that Nintendo only paid for the single player? According to Itagaki, Nintendo was mainly interested in the online component

In the same interview, Itagaki say that they were able to release the game on PC because they (co-?)own the IP. Maybe the Platinum situation is similar. By the way, I believe the PC version was announced alongside the North America release of the Wii U version - note that they used the Nintendo terminology "free to start" in the press release.
Nintendo approached Itagaki for the online component, yes. But Nintendo owns the single player campaign and marketed it the most.
For the online PC bit, this was planned since before the Nintendo partnership, and reconfirmed before the WiiU release https://www.pcgamer.com/devils-third-online-coming-to-pc/

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
yup
Could be Nintendo sold the rights back to them. Or doing the Sega-Platinum sort of deal like with Bayo
I think the chance that the IP was sold back is high, not sure how much mileage nintendo would hope to get just sitting on it, even if they used it for an exclusive port or sequel
Then again the switch is an anomaly with game sales so who even knows how well this would do, people seem to be buying on pure curiosity at this point and people are for sure curious about this game

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Is the game good? I remember receiving some so so reviews and it doest look particulary hot on screens or videos
It's the most "Kamiyaish" game if that makes sense, super high highs in game moments, but the shitty on-rails and jarring game-type changes he loves are magnified as well.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Bunch of weird takes in here.

I assume investors have little faith in W101 because it didn't sell well the first time, so doing it as a kickstarter makes sense. Also given the cult following of the both the game and Platinum there's also zero perfect chance this fails unless the goal is insanely high.

You realize a partnership with Tencent doesn't just mean they give you free money to blow on a risky passion project right?
What I realize is that it is pretty gross for a company with decent funding to ask for free money.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Will absolutely back a Physical Switch version. The original is my favourite Wii U game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then again the switch is an anomaly with game sales so who even knows how well this would do, people seem to be buying on pure curiosity at this point and people are for sure curious about this game
I don't think the two people are the same. if they're throwing money at a kickstarter, they already have an idea of what they want. those aren't the same kinds of people who walk into walmart to buy switch games

Oct 27, 2017

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If this ends up being true, then this is how I see it.

1) For the people that keep mentioning the Tencent money, stop. Companies don't just walk up to studios and give them money without contracts about said money being used in specific ways.

2) If, and this is the biggest if, Platinum got the IP back from Nintendo, they managed to get it cheap using their own, not Tencent's money. I could see some weird scenario where it was part of the deal for doing Bayonetta 3, but I highly doubt that.

3) The KS goal will be for funding a pretty small internal team for around a year. I'd imagine the target would be somewhere in the ballpark of 300-350k. Maaaaaybe 500k. Considering there are boardgames that routinely make millions on KS, I could see this working for them. It's a known commodity. Platinum has a solid fanbase, and many of them never got to play this.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose Tencent said "no, we bought you to MAKE money, not waste it. If you want to burn someone else's money for your vanity project, ask your mom".

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I'm glad they want to port it, the Wii U being the Wii U, almost everything not Nintendo on it was cursed to bomb, so it's going to do way better.
Hopefully PS4/Xbox One owners will be interested as well.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Ewww, people play using the touchscreen???

Eww.

TWEWY fans:
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017

1) For the people that keep mentioning the Tencent money, stop. Companies don't just walk up to studios and give them money without contracts about said money being used in specific ways.

2) If, and this is the biggest if, Platinum got the IP back from Nintendo, they managed to get it cheap using their own, not Tencent's money. I could see some weird scenario where it was part of the deal for doing Bayonetta 3, but I highly doubt that.

3) The KS goal will be for funding a pretty small internal team for around a year. I'd imagine the target would be somewhere in the ballpark of 300-350k. Maaaaaybe 500k. Considering there are boardgames that routinely make millions on KS, I could see this working for them. It's a known commodity. Platinum has a solid fanbase, and many of them never got to play this.
Good post.

Jan 9, 2018
What I realize is that it is pretty gross for a company with decent funding to ask for free money.
Most of the time when you back a game they give you the game so it's really not that bad. It's basically hey fans if you want this game please support us. We really want to do it but literally no one else will help

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe part of the Deal for Astral Chain? Or Nintendo being friendly

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This is very sad. I'll donate, but the only way I saw this existing is Nintendo funding a port to fill a schedule gap. :(

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
form what i heard from Matthew 'Wonderful101 fan' matosis review. The game play better with controller only right?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Stop? If you follow kickstarter campaigns, you know this is a question that'll come back.
Of course the contract with Tencent is for a specific thing. People will still wonder why they have to back something for a big company, that got a lot of money recently, and for a game that belong(ed) to one of the biggest publishers in the world.

edit:
form what i heard from Matthew 'Wonderful101 fan' matosis review. The game play better with controller only right?
Correct.
And I really doubt they'll keep the touch mechanic in any port. Just like they'll fix other issues (like the dual screen minigames, or the fact you don't have either block or dodge from the start).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
will this be one of those kickstarters where AFTER the thing is funded some publisher swoops in and pays for publishing rights anyway?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yeesh, TW101 bombed so hard that Nintendo won't even help fund a Switch port?

I'd back it. The game is amazing

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Astral Chain sell over 1m, and they are getting money from tencent? They have the money to make this, they shouldn't be begging for it from the fans.

But I guess it will take W101 to bomb a second time for Kamiya to finally shut up about it.
I can only assume they want to mobilize fan support given their eagerness to push for it over the years. It's all this series has. Maybe they just want to prove a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.