• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
D27bRLWW0AAjukw.jpg

3490014-km11_ps4pro_kosmeticssofar_site.jpg

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
User banned (3 days): trolling and antagonistic behaviour + many previous similar infractions
Is this a joke post or are you just uninformed?

Switch is the first Nintendo console since decades that was not backwards compatible. The Switch successor will probably have bc too.

I'm sorry if this offends you, I was honestly unaware the Wii U could play Wii games. The vast majority of times i want to play old games from Nintendo I have had to buy them from the eShop. If this hurt the feelings of your favorite plastic toy, I'm sorry.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this offends you, I was honestly unaware the Wii U could play Wii games. The vast majority of times i want to play old games from Nintendo I have had to buy them from the eShop. If this hurt the feelings of your favorite plastic toy, I'm sorry.

LOL, the irony of calling anyone else hurt when you're the one being incredibly passive aggressive after being called out for being wrong.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
LOL, the irony of calling anyone else hurt when you're the one being incredibly passive aggressive after being called out for being wrong.

No irony, and read the thread, many people already corrected me. And to be honest, if you think that Nintendo has as good a back compat process and stategy as Sony or MS your are fooling yourself. The point still stands. Nintendo has shown in most cases it is far more likely to make you buy a game again then to support it moving forward. Sony a bit and to a greater extent MS are doing a much better now and seem to have a much better plan in the future.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No irony, and read the thread, many people already corrected me. And to be honest, if you think that Nintendo has as good a back compat process and stategy as Sony or MS your are fooling yourself. The point still stands. Nintendo has shown in most cases it is far more likely to make you buy a game again then to support it moving forward. Sony a bit and to a greater extent MS are doing a much better now and seem to have a much better plan in the future.
Uhh, when has Sony did anything to show they won't make you buy old games again, they already do that now.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Uhh, when has Sony did anything to show they won't make you buy old games again, they already do that now.
PS2 and PS3 had back compat and there are (unsubstantiated rumors) that point to increased backcompat (possibly total) in PS5. MS supports broad (but not total) support for 3 generations and is expected to continue that next gen to make that 4 gens. Not as good as pc but solid for a console.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has shown in most cases it is far more likely to make you buy a game again then to support it moving forward.
But that's not even true.

GBA was backwards compatible with the GBC and GB
DS was backwards compatible with the GBA
3DS was backwards compatible with the DS (and you could transfer DSi digital titles)
NES, SNES, N64 and GC weren't BC because of physical HW reasons (and they had no digital titles obviously)
Wii was backwards compatible with the GC
Wii U with the Wii (digital titles as well)
Switch only isn't BC with the Wii U for physical reasons again, and it's the first time digital titles aren't BC either

So I'm not sure where you're getting "in most cases" from

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah looks lighting took the largest hit. Then again we really need some direct feed footage of course. For 60fps I'm good with that!
I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. The reflections are all there, in the same spots in both shots, the shadow of the flap of the jacket is there, only the face is different, but it's difficult to tell why, because the nose and rest of the face are lit in the Switch version and there seems to be a shade over the eyes, only in the other shot this one is different and there is another, darker shade on the forehead. Perhaps some color correction on the offscreen image would make it easier to see, but it's very blurry and compressed and there is a nasty reflection.

That is, if that image is real time and not a 2D billboard because that looks like a menu of some sort.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Yeah looks lighting took the largest hit. Then again we really need some direct feed footage of course. For 60fps I'm good with that!
Self shadowing is clearly missing (edit: in one spot), but otherwise I wouldn't say lighting took a hit just yet. I mean, it probably did, but you can't really tell from such an unideal shot. From what I can see, highlights and shade are all in the same spots so it's not downgraded in that regard but any subtleties where I would expect to see a difference can't be seen behind the blur and the general colour inaccuracies.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's the end of fight freeze frame when you don't do a fatality or a brutality. They do a pose.
And the lighting is the same regardless of what stage that happens in?
In any case, to me it looks very damn close or identical as far as lighting goes, save for the face. Maybe at the end of the pose the face is lit up?
In any case, this doesn't look at all like a MK 9 PsVita situation, where the geometry and lighting saw a massive cut down to (Poor) Dreamcast levels.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's definitely a noticeable lighting difference

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear it's 60fps. Might opt for it over the PS4 version as I don't have to fight for the tv for it lol. Still have to see how it looks though and be sure nothing is cut from it.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I would legit buy this on Switch if there was cross play. Without crosplay, the chances of a healthy community are slim.

Oct 25, 2017
I would legit buy this on Switch if there was cross play. Without crosplay, the chances of a healthy community are slim.
Why would you think that? Switch has proven software on it sells. The only place where fighting games don't have a healthy community is pc really. But I do wish for crossplay for fighting games regardless.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you think that? Switch has proven software on it sells. The only place where fighting games don't have a healthy community is pc really. But I do wish for crossplay for fighting games regardless.

Well, I was honestly expecting FighterZ to take off on Switch, given Xenoverse 2 success. Sadly, community died pretty quickly.

I think MK11 will sell fairly well, but not enough to sustain a vibrant online community for a long time.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm unsure of FighterZ...maybe being a late port hurt it?
It's certainly a possibility, but I was still expecting to do well since Xenoverse was also pretty late. I think it's mostly that people really serious about fighting games usually sticks with consoles.

We'll see. I hope I'm wrong! MK11 has the pedigree to have a fair shot.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Fighting games tend to be heavily discounted on PC, and there's no online pass to purchase. So that helps to keep the player counts stable.

Switch has the issue where a lot of MK players probably own another current gen console. So it may not be the first choice for competitive online play for those gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
I love that y'all are straight up zoomin' and enhancin' this shit. Hey, I bought MKX and barely played it, but on the Switch? Being able to bring it and play it wherever? That's pretty damn appealing.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games tend to be heavily discounted on PC, and there's no online pass to purchase. So that helps to keep the player counts stable.
If it's not SFV, Tekken, MKX, and DBFZ, good luck finding a healthy community in your PC fighting game outside of Discord. Even in those mentioned, it can take a while to find matches at times.

There are currently a little over 300 people playing Soulcalibur VI at this moment. Less than 200 in Dead or Alive 6. Consider that only some of those are playing online at any given time, and only a subset of those are playing the same online mode that you might be trying to find matches in, and that only a subset of those people are within a similar rank to you and also close enough to match the connection parameters you've set.....you're left with a tiny number of people.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
If it's not SFV, Tekken, MKX, and DBFZ, good luck finding a healthy community in your PC fighting game outside of Discord. Even in those mentioned, it can take a while to find matches at times.

There are currently a little over 300 people playing Soulcalibur VI at this moment. Less than 200 in Dead or Alive 6. Consider that only some of those are playing online at any given time, and only a subset of those are playing the same online mode that you might be trying to find matches in, and that only a subset of those people are within a similar rank to you and also close enough to match the connection parameters you've set.....you're left with a tiny number of people.

Also you gotta hope that a lot of those players are even in the same region as you. Tekken usually has a lot of players online but it's hard to find good matches at certain hours since so many of those players are Koreans.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Also you gotta hope that a lot of those players are even in the same region as you. Tekken usually has a lot of players online but it's hard to find good matches at certain hours since so many of those players are Koreans.

This explains why I have such a hard time finding matches, when the stats show there are 2,500 people currently in-game. Sigh...

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can see a few ways to make it all work, dynamic resolution scaling of course , death blow/fatality moves using higher quality models perhaps , in game movies rendered out as cutscenes (might require too much cart space tho). The entire game would have to set quite a few options off but the switch is pretty much a turbo charged Wii U which was on par with the 360 in many ways (but with a newer GPU capable of better shaders). I mean the switch can run a game as crazy as doom so I feel like anything is possible.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

If MKX is any indication MK11 should do just fine on PC. The B tier fighting games have more problems with player retention but you shouldn't have the indie game problem where the numbers eventually dwindle down to zero and stay there.

prid13

Mar 31, 2019
Thank you for your work. It is always a shame switch ports from third parties get this sort of treatment.

Glad to be of help! The thing is, this actually looks like a good Switch "port". The hardware is a bit limited in comparison to PS4/XOne, and if they're targeting 60FPS for the Switch version, visual sacrifices will have to be made. Still, this is not really a port in the traditional sense, where games are first made for one platform and then ported to another. The Switch version of MK11 is being co-developed by another studio (Shiver Studios) alongside the PS4/XOne version. If the developers know what they're doing and making the Switch version specifically for Switch, then this might be one of the best "ports" on the Switch :)

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Thank you for your work. It is always a shame switch ports from third parties get this sort of treatment.
The lighting is the same in all places, save from the missing shadow from the hood. The reflections and materials are all the same, the geometry looks like it's all there, and all the rest of the self-shadows are there, as are the particle effects. To me, it looks quite good.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to be of help! The thing is, this actually looks like a good Switch "port". The hardware is a bit limited in comparison to PS4/XOne, and if they're targeting 60FPS for the Switch version, visual sacrifices will have to be made. Still, this is not really a port in the traditional sense, where games are first made for one platform and then ported to another. The Switch version of MK11 is being co-developed by another studio (Shiver Studios) alongside the PS4/XOne version. If the developers know what they're doing and making the Switch version specifically for Switch, then this might be one of the best "ports" on the Switch :)
The lighting is the same in all places, save from the missing shadow from the hood. The reflections and materials are all the same, the geometry looks like it's all there, and all the rest of the self-shadows are there, as are the particle effects. To me, it looks quite good.

Thank you both. It sounds like they did a terrific job then. Well, we'll have to wait now.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for direct feed footage and comparisons, but it's sounding like I'll be going with the Switch version. Can't pass up that handheld Mortal Kombat.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was honestly expecting FighterZ to take off on Switch, given Xenoverse 2 success. Sadly, community died pretty quickly.

I think MK11 will sell fairly well, but not enough to sustain a vibrant online community for a long time.
I was playing Switch Fighterz a few weeeks ago and the plaza was pretty bustling.