• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Just got to try this out at the Nintendo booth. I was pleasantly surprised! There's an obvious downgrade in graphics and resolution, you shoule not expect to see a game that looks as good as the ps4/x1 versions. But, with that said, it is definitely one of the best looking handheld games on the Switch. The action was buttery smooth! I can't tell if it's a locked 60 fps but I did not notice any drops. Felt very natural to play with the joycons and the split dpad even. Overall I am extremely happy with the Switch port. Plus, it being an older build can only mean the final release will be better. I might double dip with Ps4 just so I can have one version on the go. I couldn't see it in docked mode, although I probably would never play it docked anyway.

There was one instance where the game froze on me after stage selection, but that's most likely a demo bug.

Thank you! Thar sounds like I will keep my preorder then!

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just got to try this out at the Nintendo booth. I was pleasantly surprised! There's an obvious downgrade in graphics and resolution, you shoule not expect to see a game that looks as good as the ps4/x1 versions. But, with that said, it is definitely one of the best looking handheld games on the Switch. The action was buttery smooth! I can't tell if it's a locked 60 fps but I did not notice any drops. Felt very natural to play with the joycons and the split dpad even. Overall I am extremely happy with the Switch port. Plus, it being an older build can only mean the final release will be better. I might double dip with Ps4 just so I can have one version on the go. I couldn't see it in docked mode, although I probably would never play it docked anyway.

There was one instance where the game froze on me after stage selection, but that's most likely a demo bug.

One of the best looking handheld games? Wow, pretty lofty praise. I feel like we've gotten used to good looking third party games looking a bit blurry in handheld...so this is doesnt have that 'smear' look?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Never a doubt that it was going to be 60fps in the gameplay. Boon is notoriously anal about it (in a good way) and can spot a frame drop a mile away. He absolutely doesn't care if it has to look worse if it means the game runs properly.

They also probably weren't allowed to film because it probably has stuff that's not been revealed yet and it still might be an incomplete build.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best looking handheld games? Wow, pretty lofty praise. I feel like we've gotten used to good looking third party games looking a bit blurry in handheld...so this is doesnt have that 'smear' look?
It definitely has plenty of jagginess and can be blurry at times. But it is not as bad as Wolfenstein or Doom for instance, and I'd say those games were definitely pushing the Switch. MK looks and feels a lot smoother. Is it as crisp looking as something like Smash or Mario Kart? Nah, but it's certainly a looker.

Honestly I was expecting it to look like those mobile MKX ports. Thankfully, it is much much better than that.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They can get the last gen one to run on vita I'm sure they can get this to run on the switch.

Oct 28, 2017
This is a day one purchase for me. I am kinda upset I can't preorder on eShop already.

I will double dip a version for my Xbox One X when the price drops.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Hmm, was expecting it to look at least like the mobile MK and Injustice 2. But if it looks better than those, darn!

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I imagine the reason they don't want filming is a couple of reasons.

1) in all promotional material they want the highest Fidelity version to be seen. They don't want someone to search for the game and see the lower res version
2) They may be having some outlet have exclusive first look at switch version

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

Did you also happen to try AC3 by any chance?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Fuck, I just realised that the physical version of this releases three weeks later here in Europe (at least, not sure if it's the case in America).

Ugh.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
My guess is with a lot of these 3rd party games that do get a Switch release, they want all of the footage of the game available prior to release to be of the best possible versions. They don't want someone to see the downgraded Switch footage (even if it still looks good), and think that is how it will look on the other platforms that will have superior visuals. Just my 2 cents.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Niiice! If this port turns out to be like that, I might grab it! Is gonna be my first MK game since the freaking SNES ones!

Plum

May 31, 2018

'Mortal Kombat 11 on Switch - Gameplay...

...Reaction'

IgMyx.gif

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The reason they don't allow Switch footage is because they are worried purchasers of the higher-end platform versions will mistake the game as looking just like the Switch games on those platforms. They only want to show the game in the best possible light up until release.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
The reason they don't allow Switch footage is because they are worried purchasers of the higher-end platform versions will mistake the game as looking just like the Switch games on those platforms. They only want to show the game in the best possible light up until release.
Which is stupid because I want to see what the game looks like before I purchase it, the fact that anybody has a pre-order in for the switch version is baffling, you don't even know what you're getting. Luckily wom sound positive but this shit can't carry on until the game is out, and if it does nobody should be buying this, but they will which is why they do it I guess, look forward to the disappointing day one sales I guess followed by surprise.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, the split d-pad design of the Switch would be great for MK and having a portable version is appealing!

I will never consider using separate buttons for a d-pad to be great, personally. It's still bad, but it's probably slightly less of a detriment to MK compared to other fighters.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MK9 ran at 60fps on the Xbox 360 AND looked good. The Nintendo Switch is more powerful than the 360. Why are people 'shocked' that this game is running at 60fps on the Switch, and looks good?

Of course the final version will be downgraded from the console version, but it should still look as good (at least) as the final last gen MK games and run at 60fps.

You'd think so, but this is not how many Western devs have been handling their Switch ports. Instead of developing the ports for undocked mode and having the docked version just be enhanced, it looks like they're developing their games for docked mode then they press the "downgrade everything" button and the games end up blurry and/or aliased to hell and back. I'm fine with some bluriness if it's to avoid aliasing (the Panic Button, ARMS and Mario+Rabbids way), but those are the exception. Most ports of 3D games from more powerful systems don't look as good as PS360 games undocked even though they should.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think so, but this is not how many Western devs have been handling their Switch ports. Instead of developing the ports for undocked mode and having the docked version just be enhanced, it looks like they're developing their games for docked mode then they press the "downgrade everything" button and the games end up blurry and/or aliased to hell and back. I'm fine with some bluriness if it's to avoid aliasing (the Panic Button, ARMS and Mario+Rabbids way), but those are the exception. Most ports of 3D games from more powerful systems don't look as good as PS360 games undocked even though they should.
Which western devs? Many of the most impressive games on Switch are western.

Plum

May 31, 2018

An argument like this would make sense if we weren't also seeing similar lock-downs on footage for Hellblade (which is already out everywhere else) .

Even if that weren't the case I really don't agree with the reasoning at all. Treating the Switch version like it doesn't exist when it comes to your marketing efforts will just push people away from buying that version of the game because they will have nothing to go until the absolute last minute.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nice impressions all around! Sucks that there's no footage but seemingly locked 60fps is great to hear especially for fighters. Double dipped as always for fighters on the Switch, love playing them on the go whenever I go on road trips.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The IGN video is garbage. Don't give them the clicks.

I mean I get when fighting game previews have people commenting about how bad the players are, but on the other hand I really hate when reviewers or previews say hyperbolic/condescending stuff in that IGN video like we're not "e-sports fighting champions of the universe" or "we do no know how to frame count" etc, but.. as if everyone who plays fighting games are some elitists. Just say it's not your genre of interest. People get it. Actually, they work at a video game site, so they probably actually do know what frame counting is.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which western devs? Many of the most impressive games on Switch are western.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that non-Western third parties were better, I just don't own any 3D games made by non-Western devs. The worst port I own is GRIP: Combat Racing:

DrYEwOcVAAAWpXR.jpg:large

Imagine if this had come out on PS3 or Xbox 360.

And here's a comparison between docked and undocked in V-Rally 4:

D1cGW8AVAAA9RrU.jpg:large

D1cGaTuUcAAnx3v.jpg:large

The game should look undocked the way it looks docked.

There are plenty of other examples though--most recently, Xenon Racer:

The game doesn't even look PS360 quality docked yet it still manages to look worse undocked.

There's also Ark:

So many devs in general just do not optimize their games for undocked mode. They seem to be aiming for PS360 quality docked instead.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I'm just happy that most impressions point to it looking better than the mobile MK game; which looks great to me. So Switch version looking better is already exceeding my expectations.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of filming is very unsettling. They perhaps have a very experimental build on the floor that is probably not final, but my gut just knows something is going to be awry with the switch port. Definitely going to hold out for switch reviews cause I am still torn between deciding on this and the PS4 version.

Your gust is fooling you.

That behavior with beta versions is not uncommon. Because some dumb YouTubers always look for little errors to make a sensational video, they don't care if a game is not finished.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems Sony, MS, and PC all have some sort of plan for this, and Nintendo seems to throw games away each gen. Wouldn't you rather be able to play a little MK11 on Next gen and not worry about Nintendo making you rebuy?

Is this a joke post or are you just uninformed?

Switch is the first Nintendo console since decades that was not backwards compatible. The Switch successor will probably have bc too.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately no footage was allowed but impressions were that it ran at 60fps and looked pretty good.

I know nearly everyone is getting it on another platform, but having a conformation of 60fps for me is awesome! My pre order remains after hearing this.

I just don't understand why they're not allowing filming!

I mean it's a fighting game, of course it was going to be 60 fps. The gameplay is balanced around it.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't get why they don't let people record it. They did for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice:

And it looks really impressive. Given that the impressions of Mortal Kombat are so positive, I don't get why they don't distribute footage.