• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brainchild is back with an analysis on the final build of Luigi's Mansion 3. I'll try to put up a summary, but I'll be busy for a bit

• cutscenes are higher quality; shaders, textures, geometry are higher than in game
  • lots of unique assets and high object density
  • transitions between in-engine and in-game is seamless
  • canned animation takes less resources
  • materials are physically based
  • reflections are a bunch of dynamic local cubemaps, not screen space
  • resolution of reflections a much lower to save resource costs
  • planar reflections are used for mirrors, quality are near 1:1, and expensive
  • water is screen space reflections, has artifacts
  • some water is hybrid of methods
  • water is a dynamic mesh and has geometry animation
  • caustics are projected in 3D space
  • flashlight is pretty realistic, has a volumetric effect
  • fog might be billboarded rather than volumetric but hard to tell without moving the camera
  • light mask and projection mapping are used extensively to light and shadow scenes
  • light mask fidelity are based on the mask texture fidelity
  • lots of shadows are point shadows for the sake of computation
  • artifacts with some shadows due to shadow mapping bias
  • game doesn't seem to use stencil shadows
  • large variety of normal maps, some are even animated
  • indirect lighting through radiosity (light/color bleed) and ambient occlusion
  • rather than screen space AO, seems to be artist-generated
  • exaggerated contrast in the AO
  • flashlight causes light bleed, which is pretty rare due to computation cost
  • NLG seems to have artistically defined when radiosity effects occur, due to such, it's not accurate, but enhances the presentation without lowering the frame rate
  • backlighting of objects due to double sided object rendering
  • double-sided object rendering allows for the unseen side of objects to be rendered, which increases computation costs
  • allows for subsurface scattering effect
  • Gooigi has a very impressive material in regards to lighting
  • Gooigi is a good boi
  • shader of Gooigi has improved since the reveal of the game
  • Gooigi acts as a participating media, it affects light going through it
  • transparency is a mix of alpha blending and stippling patterns
  • might be both forward and deferred rending
  • polygon fur rendering used
  • particle effects are self-illuminating
  • dynamic mesh deformation on sand and fabric
  • some framepacing issues, but overall very stable
  • Nvidia has assisted in some way

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just started the game this week and have done the first few floors and the game is really something else. Beautiful, inventive and brimming with personality.

If Illumination doesn't work out just have NLG make a Mario CG movie.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great video,thanks for linking it! Seeing Nintendo using state of the art rendering is really a beauty to behold!

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
finished the summary. a lot more than I was expecting

it's insane how nintendo has grown this from a tech demo on GC till now on architectures that are robust in features and potential but lacking heavy spec performance.

Next to panic button or shin'en couldn't be a better case of how some devs still need to learn how to craft their game with such types of systems. Games can be small in budget but polish goes an insane distance. There will be no excuses next gen once cpus aren't the worst bottlenecks for a gaming architecture. I just can't fathom what nintendo's best wll achieve on ampere or better architecture when the time comes.

Great efforts to you on the summary and brainchild for the vid.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
A bit related: this recent video with the developers from Next Level confirms the findings and also adds some additional info. Also, apparently the first time that they co-worked with an art director from Nintendo.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's rather interesting how the LM series has turned into the series that Nintendo uses to show off the system's power within the various Mario spinoffs.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Luigi model is insane during cutscenes...I was not sure it could be used during gameplay but now it is confirmed it is another model (which looks good so that's ok)
It's a bit like Mario in Odyssey.
I suppose it will be possible to have such detailed models in gameplay next-gen for Nintendo.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Always enjoy Brainchild videos. LM3 is probably the best looking Switch game.

Brainchild also had a really interesting breakdown of the BotW 2 trailer that makes me even more excited for that title.