• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It really does look fantastic, way more than I was ever expecting.
Actually I would've probably accepted a HD New Leaf artstyle, so this is far beyond my expectations!

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
This was a great video, very informative.

However I probably could just watch the footage with game audio over and over until it comes out in March :(

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Do people want realistic textures and fur shading, or like actual molded eyes and mouths (ie not textures)? IMO that would look just absolutely awful, and I feel that at this point it's pretty obvious that the simple colors and shapes, the textured eyes and mouths, are part of AC's style when not even the toys (which aren't limited by a system's power) look like that. Just about the only thing more I can think of them doing is making everything look like the Animal Crossing figures/amiibo so it looks like you're playing in a little toy town, which would probably just come down to lighting and DoF effects, but I don't know that playing in a toy town is the "feel" that Nintendo tries to illicit with this series.
I'm actually one of those that would prefer rendered mouths, because Kapp'n singing felt too weird on the 3ds. But I'm fine with an slight socket, like the deers have.
--
The video was amazing! Made me want to learn a bit more about how lighting affects materials for my own artworks.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for watching, all!

If you have any questions for me, feel free to post them in this thread I'd I'll try to get to them when I have a free moment!

Great video!

Please make a Luigi's Mansion 3 tech analysis video!

Hopefully in the lean months for information on new games you can start a retro tech series. I'd be very interested in a Mario Kart 7 vs 8 / Splatoon vs Splatoon 2 / Mario 3D World vs Mario Odyssey and general BotW / Mario v Rabbids videos!

Keep up the good work!

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I honestly don't even know what Nintendo could do to Animal Crossing at this point without completely changing the entire visual style of the series. The models are all nicely high poly and smooth, the textures are crisp and colorful, the animations are great, they're clearly adding in lots of nice special effects and lighting tricks (I pointed the hair sheen out to my girlfriend when we were watching the Tree House walkthrough, such a nice detail that looks fantastic).

Do people want realistic textures and fur shading, or like actual molded eyes and mouths (ie not textures)? IMO that would look just absolutely awful, and I feel that at this point it's pretty obvious that the simple colors and shapes, the textured eyes and mouths, are part of AC's style when not even the toys (which aren't limited by a system's power) look like that. Just about the only thing more I can think of them doing is making everything look like the Animal Crossing figures/amiibo so it looks like you're playing in a little toy town, which would probably just come down to lighting and DoF effects, but I don't know that playing in a toy town is the "feel" that Nintendo tries to illicit with this series.

I feel like this is peak Animal Crossing, reaching the upper limit of where they can take the series' aesthetic. Again unless they completely changed everything about how the game looks (realistic, cel shading, making it look like clay/plastic/yarn, etc) I don't know what more they could do to make it look better. It looks perfect!

As a tech artist and programmer, there are all sorts of things I can think of to increase the fidelity of the graphics, even with this art style, but those additions wouldn't necessarily be appreciable to the average person, so it's not something I'm complaining about. Global illumination is probably the one thing missing that I kinda wish was in the game. The real-time TOD probably prevented that from happening (maybe there isn't enough computational budget to squeeze in real-time GI).

Isn't the hair light reflex just a b/w specular map with a colour ramp?

No, the specular model is actually anisotropic (does not only reflect in the opposite direction of the light source, but in many different directions), which is not possible with a specular map based on phong reflection. There is still a specular map, but it has to reference tangent space in order to produce the results that you see. Color ramp could work for highlight shifts, but the subtle variances between strands makes it pretty clear it's a bit more complicated than that.

Generally speaking I noticed a lot more geometry on objects. That to me seemed to be the biggest upgrade

Yeah, geometry got a big boost. Directional shadows on everything, realistic hemisphere to environment lighting, and atmospheric scattering are also huge upgrades.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually one of those that would prefer rendered mouths, because Kapp'n singing felt too weird on the 3ds. But I'm fine with an slight socket, like the deers have.
I would probably have to see an example of it to give a fully informed opinion of it, are you also thinking that with rendered mouths they would do away with the... I don't know how to describe it but with the 2D mouths they don't necessarily animate fluidly, they just jump from one static shape to the next. Would you prefer them to keep that limited animation but with rendered mouths, or would you want them to fully animate the mouths in addition to rendering them? (within reason, I mean, they do speak gibberish after all)

As a tech artist and programmer, there are all sorts of things I can think of to increase the fidelity of the graphics, even with this art style, but those additions wouldn't necessarily by appreciable to the average person, so it's not something I'm complaining about. Global illumination is probably the one thing missing that I kinda wish was in the game. The real-time TOD probably prevented that from happening (maybe there isn't enough computational budget to squeeze in real-time GI).
Oh! Yeah I was painting with very broad strokes with my comments, I totally believe there are lots of little things they could do with effects (the hair highlight for example) that could make it even nicer, I just meant in response to saying the game is ugly and as you said those types of things would probably go unnoticed by most people.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Oh! Yeah I was painting with very broad strokes with my comments, I totally believe there are lots of little things they could do with effects (the hair highlight for example) that could make it even nicer, I just meant in response to saying the game is ugly and as you said those types of things would probably go unnoticed by most people.

I wasn't really criticizing your post so much as I was being pedantic. I agree with you that there are very few noticeable improvements they could make to the game while still retaining the same art style.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I might be wrong here but from the zoomed in shots, it seems like this is the first time a Nintendo game is using some kind of temporal AA? Looks very clean.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I would probably have to see an example of it to give a fully informed opinion of it, are you also thinking that with rendered mouths they would do away with the... I don't know how to describe it but with the 2D mouths they don't necessarily animate fluidly, they just jump from one static shape to the next. Would you prefer them to keep that limited animation but with rendered mouths, or would you want them to fully animate the mouths in addition to rendering them? (within reason, I mean, they do speak gibberish after all)
Just to be clear, I mean this mostly for extreme cases like this one:

The mouths are very important to mess them up, of course. I love when K.K. shows his grin or whistles while singing, for example, so it would be weird to loose that. But looking at the game so far, I think they know well not to alter the designs too much. In case they went with full 3D though, they can totally just use fixed mouth positions and change them drastically to give the same impression as before, if they wanted so. I think they'll know better what fits the game or not in the end.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
I only understand about 15% of what he's saying, but I could still listen to brainchild talk about tech in games all day long. Mesmerizing.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Very informative video. Great work! The game looks fantastic IMO.

Thanks!

I might be wrong here but from the zoomed in shots, it seems like this is the first time a Nintendo game is using some kind of temporal AA? Looks very clean.

I don't do pixel counts and image quality analyses on compressed video, but when I get direct-feed that isn't super compressed, I'll take a look at the image quality in detail.

As for other Nintendo games, Yoshi's Crafted World uses UE4's temporal upscaling to improve its image quality, but sometimes the artifacts are pretty bad.

I could still listen to brainchild talk about tech in games all day long. Mesmerizing.

You're too kind!

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't explain what tech was needed to make it all look cute. Everyone knows Nintendo upgraded their adoristropic filtering for this game

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Could GameXplain put all your Tech Analysis videos into a playlist together? I want a one-stop shop for all the brainchild content. :)

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
It's coming! It will take me a little bit for that one.

Something I don't talk about much is the investigatory aspect of these analyses. I try to be as scientific as possible, which is quite time consuming; hypotheses need to be falsifiable and I have to control for a lot of different factors, which isn't easy when you don't have dev code (there are lots of ways to render a given effect).

LM3 has significant changes that need to be investigated thoroughly before I'm comfortable publishing an evaluation, but it is coming!
You should try to compare the LM3 E3 build to what we were first shown last year. Feels like the game got a huge graphical upgrade in terms of polish

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
New Leaf was a breath of fresh air and I played it for months on end. I hope this AC title gives me that feeling again.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yessssssssss thank you for this brainchild. I love your videos so much! I was actually stunned at how good this game looked. Gonna be a long wait until March :<

Oct 25, 2017
The bangs have physics :-O
william-hung.jpg

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks incredible, and also really makes me understand even less what happened to new Pokémon.

Amazing video, as always.

Oct 26, 2017
No, the specular model is actually anisotropic (does not only reflect in the opposite direction of the light source, but in many different directions), which is not possible with a specular map based on phong reflection. There is still a specular map, but it has to reference tangent space in order to produce the results that you see. Color ramp could work for highlight shifts, but the subtle variances between strands makes it pretty clear it's a bit more complicated than that.

Yeah, geometry got a big boost. Directional shadows on everything, realistic hemisphere to environment lighting, and atmospheric scattering are also huge upgrades.
From reading up on it, it still uses a normal map like texture. The colour shift is embedded in there, the shader interprets the variation and direction based on the texture colour. So there's no colour ramp needed. Wonder if they use it on brushed metal as well.

Generally speaking I am happy with how they evolved the style. PBR is an insanely powerful workflow, even if used for highly stylized stuff. Hopefully they find a way to implement Sub surf scattering on skin, fur, cloth and leaves.

Apr 9, 2019
Love these videos - very relaxed and comprehensive.

You mentioned an Animal Crossing Engine in the video. I was wondering if there is such a thing, and to what extent Nintendo uses different engines for different series of games. Seems like it would be wasteful to create a new engine for every game series.

They don't market their engines like third parties do so it might be hard to find out.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Thanks again, everyone!

From reading up on it, it still uses a normal map like texture.

It's called a tangent-space normal map, which is what I mentioned in the video. I even describe the hair strands as being part of the TS normal in the video instead of them being 3D modeled. I take it you missed that part?

And the anisotropy itself doesn't have anything to do with color, but the UV coordinates of the normal map (in tangent-space) that tell the renderer how one part of the normal is oriented relative to the other parts of the normal. This is a mathematical algorithm. Without it, you'd have a sphere-like reflection of the sun moving on top of the villagers' hair as if they were plastic balls.

Instead, there's a specular highlight for each strand of hair, reflected in its own direction, independent of the other strands. That's the definition of anisotropic highlights on hair. They're all still part of a single tangent space normal, but it works completely different than a regular normal.

The colour shift is embedded in there, the shader interprets the variation and direction based on the texture colour.

Not quite. Incident light from the environment lighting also influences the hue of the color shift, which is why the secondary highlight in the video example is purple at night and yellow in daylight.

Also of note is how the anisotropic highlights are unique to each villager's head, based on the detail of the tangent space normal maps (not every head will show the standard ring).

Screenshot2019062402.jpg

This anisotropy is very evident here, looking at the difference in highlights on all the heads with respect to the direction of the light source (the sun).

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks again, everyone!

It's called a tangent-space normal map, which is what I mentioned in the video. I even describe the hair strands as being part of the TS normal in the video instead of them being 3D modeled. I take it you missed that part?

And the anisotropy itself doesn't have anything to do with color, but the UV coordinates of the normal map (in tangent-space) that tell the renderer how one part of the normal is oriented relative to the other parts of the normal. This is a mathematical algorithm. Without it, you'd have a sphere-like reflection of the sun moving on top of the villagers' hair as if they were plastic balls.

Instead, there's a specular highlight for each strand of hair, reflected in its own direction, independent of the other strands. That's the definition of anisotropic highlights on hair. They're all still part of a single tangent space normal, but it works completely different than a regular normal.

Not quite. Incident light from the environment lighting also influences the hue of the color shift, which is why the secondary highlight in the video example is purple at night and yellow in daylight.

Also of note is how the anisotropic highlights are unique to each villager's head, based on the detail of the tangent space normal maps (not every head will show the standard ring).

Screenshot2019062402.jpg

This anisotropy is very evident here, looking at the difference in highlights on all the heads with respect to the direction of the light source (the sun).
Yo thank you for taking the time to explaining this to me. So far I just used AS for brushed metal surfaces (once or twice)
My main focus with 3d is mostly modelling and sculpting. I use rendering mostly to showcase my work, so my knowledge of textures and materials is limited. I understand most principles due to my training as a 2d artist, but lack the technical insight that is used to simulate physical properties in 3d renderers.

So excited for this game.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yo thank you for taking the time to explaining this to me. So far I just used AS for brushed metal surfaces (once or twice)
My main focus with 3d is mostly modelling and sculpting. I use rendering mostly to showcase my work, so my knowledge of textures and materials is limited. I understand most principles due to my training as a 2d artist, but lack the technical insight that is used to simulate physical properties in 3d renderers.

No worries! Anisotropic lighting is something many artists don't really use that much (unless they work with a lot of napped material like velvet), and when they do, they're usually using some sort of hack because physically based anisotropic lighting is very performance heavy.

Anisotropy on hair is pretty complicated and is not something that can be be faked with a texture trick and behave how it does in AC New Horizons. It doesn't mean that the method in New Horizons uses offline renderer techniques, it just means that the lighting is actually anisotropic, even if it's lacking all the physical sub-cuticle scattering calculations of the more complex anisotropic lighting models.

So excited for this game.

Same.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Probably wrong thread, but yeah.
Outside of being Romero's studio, the trailer isn't very interesting. It's an xcom like strategy game but looks like a top down shooter

What do people who interpret it as a shooter think of the very last shot of the trailer? That's so clearly - in my eyes - indicating "Strategy game".

pkIWP05.png

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I meant to pop in yesterday, so excuse my lateness -- just wanted to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these tech analyses, brainchild. Not only are they extremely informative, but the tone is so refreshing; it's such a nice contrast to hear a calm, affable, well-researched voice on YouTube. Good on ya, can't wait for the next one.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Another great analysis! I really appreciate the assist in understanding how Nintendo has been updating their games for Switch.