• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APF

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I think it's kind of weird for him to have a long discussion of Youtube demonetizing games content, with numerous references to Pewdiepie, but not actually address advertiser panicking over PDP's Nazi jokes being a huge catalyst to said demonetization. Youtube does a lot of things wrong but I can't blame them--or advertisers--for wanting to funnel people to all-ages-friendly channels, and if the overall YT viewership grows and ages that will in turn lead to a larger audience for more mature content. Sure fewer kids may to be sent to unrepentant racists, but to me this seems like a win-win for everyone: parents are more confident their kids aren't being fed literal Nazi references, the audience grows, advertisers are more comfortable using YT as a primary venue, everyone ultimately profits. I can however see if you've become independently wealthy under one system, and then that system changes so you're no longer as successful, it's not particularly comforting to hear people suggest it's a more sustainable arrangement for the long-term. But if you're just talking about additional word-of-mouth and free advertising, it's pretty clickbait to suggest this is killing anything vs just potential lost opportunity while streaming social media establishes itself as a predominant entertainment platform.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Surprise surprise, nobody is talking about the video itself. Hey mods, can I report people not talking about the video itself as off topic?

About the video, I am curious about the contortionism there will be between the games on stadia and on YouTube, since it's supposed to be integrated. Probably not gonna last.

But I also think they are not relying so much in earned media as mat Pat believe.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then do a statistical analysis or something and prove what you're saying. Until then, it's not great to negatively generalize an entire forum because you *feel* like it's true, or you've anecdotally seen something a certain number of times. There's tens of thousands of people here, even if you've seen 500 users do what you're talking about it would be a drop in the bucket. It also ignores any context that sometimes it's for good reason.

I don't need to do a statistical analysis. Just like everyone knows that Xbox threads often end up being a bunch of console war bs. You've been on Era long enough to know. This is a community and just like any other if you're around long enough you see the majority opinion.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also plagiarising smaller channels and reddit posts

Didnt that legal eagle thing turn out to be a whole lot of nothing? I remember reading this at the time and it was basically just similar lines of thinking cause the content itself wasnt exactly mind-blowing (posts on era were saying these things before both videos). Legal Eagle just cashed in on the drama

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Didnt that legal eagle thing turn out to be a whole lot of nothing? I remember reading this at the time and it was basically just similar lines of thinking cause the content itself wasnt exactly mind-blowing (posts on era were saying these things before both videos). Legal Eagle just cashed in on the drama
Pretty much.

Also I watched the video: fascinating stuff! I think this is a symptom of a bigger problem and that problem is that YouTube needs to add WAAAY more options for creators and advertisers alike to have more control over what ads get played and where. It's better than it used to be, but when it used to be literally any and all ads on whatever type of video being played, that's not saying much at all.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm not worried about MatPat, I'm worried about the mental state of some users here who seem to be champing at the bit to be angry at someone for even the tiniest excuse.

Some people here seem to have a need to spew vitriol at anyone who's doing nothing but trying to enjoy their life. Not generalizing, but the usual suspects know who they are.

It reeks of insecurity and deficiencies in their own lives.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just curious but why are you insinuating that we should be mean to millionaires? It's a common sentiment on this forum that if someone has money we should treat them like their subhuman and I don't understand why.

You have an extremely low bar for treating people like they are subhuman if you think what that poster said remotely qualifies.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also funny to see these big YouTubers praising the biggest guy on their platform while simultaneously getting angry about demonetization? Wasn't he mostly responsible for YouTube's rushed and haphazardly thrown together new guidelines?

Because if said big youtuber supports PDP then they also dont blame him for the demonetization they blame "old media" for taking dressing as a Nazi, having Nazi friends, and liking Nazi ideas out of context.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Pretty much.

Also I watched the video: fascinating stuff! I think this is a symptom of a bigger problem and that problem is that YouTube needs to add WAAAY more options for creators and advertisers alike to have more control over what ads get played and where. It's better than it used to be, but when it used to be literally any and all ads on whatever type of video being played, that's not saying much at all.
The advertisers have complete control over where their content will be played. You can literally decide the exact videos that will show your advertisement. However, a lot of advertisers do not use this feature.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For me it's streamers ruining competitive games even when they clearly don't know anything about games development. They think that their personal experience is everyone else's, and depending on how popular the streamer is, dumb developers actually listen to them and end up ruining the balance in the game because one popular streamer wasn't having enough success with something. Whiny streamers have been ruining games for years now.
Preach

Streamers are the worst

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You have an extremely low bar for treating people like they are subhuman if you think what that poster said remotely qualifies.
Well I was asking for clarification. Insinuating that we should be mean to people for no real reason does cross that line for me. I guess I'm just not naturally a jerk so my standards for how people should be treated are high.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Watch his video and you'll see that he makes some good points. Gaming videos on YouTube is decided by algorithms over anything else.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019 and no youtuber wants to (rightfully) blame pdp for why youtube got worse for creators. Guess you'll do anything to avoid acknowledging the dude balls deep in your ass

Jun 26, 2018
Just curious but why are you insinuating that we should be mean to millionaires? It's a common sentiment on this forum that if someone has money we should treat them like their subhuman and I don't understand why.

If you want an actual example of what treating someone like they're subhuman looks like, you should take a look at America's concentration camps. Brought to you by the rich, and the dummies who support them.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's streamers ruining competitive games even when they clearly don't know anything about games development. They think that their personal experience is everyone else's, and depending on how popular the streamer is, dumb developers actually listen to them and end up ruining the balance in the game because one popular streamer wasn't having enough success with something. Whiny streamers have been ruining games for years now.

When did this happen?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
[…] I can however see if you've become independently wealthy under one system, and then that system changes so you're no longer as successful, it's not particularly comforting to hear people suggest it's a more sustainable arrangement for the long-term. But if you're just talking about additional word-of-mouth and free advertising, it's pretty clickbait to suggest this is killing anything vs just potential lost opportunity while streaming social media establishes itself as a predominant entertainment platform.

This is how all the "demonitazation" discussion has always seemed to me. I fully understand that copyright law is often problematic and frequently runs in favor of large corporations (but not always), but why exactly do people have a "right" to make a lot of money by talking about games on YouTube?

Before you say "the real problem is critics/Metacritic/Gamerankings" whatever, critics are at least providing a clear service and good ones are adding something insightful to the discussion surrounding a game. (Obviously not all critics are good ones). Also, they aren't making millions of dollars.

I mean, I like watching people like Vaati sometimes, who are clearly saying something interesting, but even then why should these people get paid significantly more than the average member of the development team for posting dumb clickbait videos? And most gaming YouTubers are just straight-up awful and get most of their views from fake "controversies." (See: all Tifa threads currently).

YouTube is ruining everything, but not because of demonetization.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
He does a terrible job of making the case that Mortal Kombat bombed. His evidence is that there was a $10 sale a day after launch, but he doesn't make any note about where that sale took place, what platform it took place on, etc. Discounts like that happen all the time, and sometimes they even happen before a game gets released.
He literally said it happened a day after and implied it was across the board and guess what? It was across the board on all the big stores walmart, amazon, target, etc so I doubt it also didn't happen on the smaller stores as well. It was the oddest thing I noticed back then but I didn't give it much thought because I ended up not losing out on not doing the preorder bonus.

His point about Stadia and youtube is on point and I expect something to change even moreso after this video was published but I look at the long term effects and expect AAA gaming to become more family friendly if the development studios are based in major western countries. Games like Cyberpunk with studios from poorer countries will keep on trucking. Nintendo also stands to gain from this shift in youtube dynamics especially since this e3 it came to light they changed their youtube policies drastically according to youbtubers.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and he said literally what I just said. He went up there because the potential of Stadia is incredible, and it still could be, but Google needs to stop shooting itself and everyone else in the foot first.

Oh, come on. Admit it. When you questioned the relevancy of someone bringing up that he "shilled for Youtube integration with Stadia", you hadn't seen the part of the video where MatPat himself brought it up. It's okay! No judgement! I get it, Mariolee. I do.

I at least watched through most of the video and agreed with a lot of his points, though I admit I should put more of my two cents on the video in this topic instead of feeding in the negative loop of off topic criticism. It just spurs unintelligent discussion. Like people bringing up that he shilled for Youtube integration with Stadia...so what?

Like, this whole quote is superbly ironic. C'mon, man. You're kinda hoist by your own petard on this one. I mean, in your defense, the person who brought it up was doing so without having seen (at least that part of) the video, either. But that you harped on the relevancy of their point without yourself having seen (again, at least that part of) the video is... Perfect.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Then do a statistical analysis or something and prove what you're saying. Until then, it's not great to negatively generalize an entire forum because you *feel* like it's true, or you've anecdotally seen something a certain number of times. There's tens of thousands of people here, even if you've seen 500 users do what you're talking about it would be a drop in the bucket. It also ignores any context that sometimes it's for good reason.
It is ok in this case to generalize because we are talking about the people who publicly post. The lurkers are irrelevant because they aren't making these threads more toxic than they need to be. The guy is right when these posts about youtubers come up they are filled with people talking about the presenter and not the content itself. At the old forum it also happened with the only exceptions being Yahtzee and Angry Videogame Nerd when they were hot.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I just watch video to judge a game these days. Reviews don't help. I have definitely skipped games after watching a video, but I have also bought because of a video. Also analysis videos can hype me up.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, come on. Admit it. When you questioned the relevancy of someone bringing up that he "shilled for Youtube integration with Stadia", you hadn't seen the part of the video where MatPat himself brought it up. It's okay! No judgement! I get it, Mariolee. I do.

Like, this whole quote is superbly ironic. C'mon, man. You're kinda hoist by your own petard on this one. I mean, in your defense, the person who brought it up was doing so without having seen (at least that part of) the video, either. But that you harped on the relevancy of their point without yourself having seen (again, at least that part of) the video is... Perfect.

Haha fine you got me. I sped through the video and ended it after he got through the Mortal Kombat part, so I missed the line about Stadia. Fair enough, I can admit when I've been a fool. But I think that proves the point I made about not consuming the entire content of the OP leads to stupider discussion. I'm not above this, clearly, and am an example of this.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Very interesting video. I'm now curious about Stadias advertising on YouTube and if they gonna do something about it.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Game theory is basically the cinema sins of gaming (yes I know there is gaming sins). However if there is one thing mat pat and his ilk know, it's probably cynical algorithm chasing ad revenue takes. So he might not be wrong on this one, still couldn't pay me to watch a game theory vid at this point though, it's been shown enough times that the dude is who he is.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I said, The rich orchestrate it, and the dumb idiots follow.

How hard is that to understand? You're in some serious need of some perspective if you're honestly worried about people badmouthing the rich on a fucking online forum of all things.
You didn't say poor, you said dumb. Those are two different things, rich people can be dumb too, but you were specifically trying to portray wealthy people in a bad light which is why you didn't mention the financial standing of the dumb people. I'm not a fan of anyone who votes Republican whether they're rich or poor, and this is still not related to anything in this topic.

I'm not in need of perspective, I would argue that you're in need of perspective if you think it's OK to mistreat people just because someone else is being treated worse in a completely unrelated scenario. If my idea of treating people with respect means I need perspective then I'll pass.

And please spare me of the dismissive argument that I shouldn't worry about something because it's posted on an internet forum. You yourself have given me more attention than I gave the person I originally quoted, and that took me ten seconds to type. Are you honestly worried about me asking why we demonize the rich on a fucking internet forum of all things? Are we only allowed to talk about Neo-Nazi and concentration camps on this site? Anything not as serious can't even be mentioned? I'm very capable of worry about or addressing more than one thing at a time. Most humans are.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The video was very interesting, I wish he had a bit more than just "Mortal Kombat 11 received a $10 price drop the day after release" to back it up, but it's pretty easy to imagine the long-term ramifications of developers being forced to check all the YouTube-appropriate boxes in order for their game to get any important attention.

The fact that YouTube's Gaming section has been nothing but Fortnite, Minecraft, and Roblox for over a year now was not lost on me, I just never really thought about what it could mean for the future until now.

EDIT: Holy fuck what is this thread

Last edited:

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like his revenue is drying up so he's taken to posting hot take videos so that they'll get posted to reddit and board like this one for views. Looks like it worked.

YouTube isn't runing gaming. YouTube is ruining his revenue because he doesn't play what's popular now.

Users can find whatever they want, and I personally have learned of many games that I otherwise wouldn't know about because of it. Just because most viewers want to watch Fortnite, Minecraft, etc doesn't mean it's ruining gaming, it just means that you can't be AS successful on the platform as someone who plays those games.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well, that's why game devs are paying streamers and youtubers hundreds of thousands of dollars to play their games now.

Youtube and social media create a marketing monopoly for the already successful content, and so long as people like Ninja dedicate themselves to games like Fortnite, the game won't be unseated. The solution for game devs, is to put your marketing budget into these creators rather than into traditional advertising.

That of course, creates a pretty messed up system. I remember when Ninja was playing Apex Legends, it felt like he really didn't want to be playing it. Ninja moved from Apex as soon as he delivered his obligated streaming hours.

Jun 26, 2018
User warned: trolling
You didn't say poor, you said dumb. Those are two different things, rich people can be dumb too, but you were specifically trying to portray wealthy people in a bad light which is why you didn't mention the financial standing of the dumb people. I'm not a fan of anyone who votes Republican whether they're rich or poor, and this is still not related to anything in this topic.

I'm not in need of perspective, I would argue that you're in need of perspective if you think it's OK to mistreat people just because someone else is being treated worse in a completely unrelated scenario. If my idea of treating people with respect means I need perspective then I'll pass.

And please spare me of the dismissive argument that I shouldn't worry about something because it's posted on an internet forum. You yourself have given me more attention than I gave the person I originally quoted, and that took me ten seconds to type. Are you honestly worried about me asking why we demonize the rich on a fucking internet forum of all things? Are we only allowed to talk about Neo-Nazi and concentration camps on this site? Anything not as serious can't even be mentioned? I'm very capable of worry about or addressing more than one thing at a time. Most humans are.

No u.

I don't worry about you at all 😂 this is my last post in this thread, I don't mean to derail the thread, just wanted to call out your gross exaggeration over how people treat the rich.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
While I generally enjoy his content, his Mortal Kombat statistics are a little bit skewed - for the same example, look at Cyberpunk 2077 - the game isn't even out yet and Amazon had it on sale for $10 off and it's not because it's hurting in any way with "earned" YouTube money or otherwise...it was just a sale to entice potential buyers to purchase it from them.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
No u.

I don't worry about you at all 😂 this is my last post in this thread, I don't mean to derail the thread, just wanted to call out your gross exaggeration over how people treat the rich.
That's cool but lying and posting an emote doesn't negate the fact that you worried about me enough to engage in conversation with me over what I said on an internet forum.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No u.

Are you serious? You're gonna end it with a "no u" and your needlessly aggressive attitude on that user? You seem like a peach.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ people defending millionaires, celebrities, and people with high status profiles by saying they are "being treated like they are subhuman" because they got some minor criticism on an internet post for the things they say on their giant platforms.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ people defending millionaires, celebrities, and people with high status profiles by saying they are "being treated like they are subhuman" because they got some minor criticism on an internet post for the things they say on their giant platforms.
Why not just @ me if you're going to call me out? For the record, I raise an issue with treating people without decency just because they are millionaires, not for the things they say on their giant platform. I criticize rich people all the time when I disagree with them. That's different than disregarding everything they say because of their wealth.

I just believe we should be decent to each other and treat each other with respect until given a reason not to. I don't understand why being successful is a reason.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just @ me if you're going to call me out? For the record, I raise an issue with treating people without decency just because they are millionaires, not for the things they say on their giant platform. I criticize rich people all the time when I disagree with them. That's different than disregarding everything they say because of their wealth.

I just believe we should be decent to each other and treat each other with respect until given a reason not to. I don't understand why being successful is a reason.

Who here is simply hating on someone because of their wealth? This criticism is coming out of nowhere. People are criticizing because of the things someone says or not using their platform properly (or coddling to racists). If you have a problem with that, then say it, don't hide behind "wow you guys must hate rich successful people".

Don't @ me.