• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand the legality behind this. They are literally causing bias in a marketplace that should be equal for all platforms.
thjat doesnt exist in any market. promoton deals are common with a lot of products, also gamestop literally needs deals like this to survive in the digital transition.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS will know which consoles go where and when it is sold by that retailer they will know as well. It will be entered into the system. Going forward when that hardware id makes a digital purchase they get a cut.
I suspect it's much less complicated than that. It's probably a fixed percentage of the average digital sales per user multiplied by their tracked console sales.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's not how this works. Retailers will never really be in a position to demand this type of revenue split for carrying a console.
they are when they can easily stop carrying the consoles or giving very little shelf space to them. they aren't gonna like another company getting this kinda deal while they aren't. i'm only speaking of the big retailers as the smaller retailers ain't gonna be able to demand anything.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Serious question: how many people go to a store hesitating between Xbox and PS and will ask the seller what they should get ?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect it's much less complicated than that. It's probably a fixed percentage of the average digital sales per user multiplied by their tracked console sales.
so for example (made up numbers) 5% of xsx are sold via gamestop, and they get 1%, they would just be given 0.05% of revenue?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think some people believe that stores just stock items in a way because the manager likes it that way. Nope, all is negotiated and the suppliers will come through and check compliance.

Better positioning drives more sales.

The reason that generic cereal is on the bottom shelf is because they don't pay anything for the space which is why their product is so much cheaper.

Likewise this is why the platform holders sell space on their store from pages, dashboard and YouTube channels. They are the retailers and publishers are trying to sell their products.

Games companies are paying for this marketing support to position their products at "eye level", often in the form of exclusives.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
a24d5c472c367711bf48a9aeedb24099.gif

I honestly don't understand the legality behind this. They are literally causing bias in a marketplace that should be equal for all platforms.
Welcome to capitalism baby.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised at how pure people apparently thought their retail shopping experiences were.

I don't really see fault with this, though. Something had to happen, and this might actually be a sustainable practice for Gamestop if the other manufacturers choose to join in.

Serious question: how many people go to a store hesitating between Xbox and PS and will ask the seller what they should get ?

I'd assume the big get here is going to be parents shopping for their kids/people shopping for their spouses or SOs. You know, "They want to play that new Call of Duty" or "We just got a new OLED and I want to get them something to play Madden at the highest quality!" Likewise it creates an incentive for Gamestop to carry stock of the Series S on an ongoing basis, which isn't bad. I don't see it really impacting anyone posting here, though.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

With the digital shift, I imagine that will be a growing number which MS won't want to share. They can give GS a set % on each digital sale from the tracked consoles. Signficantly less than normal retailer margin but better than zero.

With MS effectively taking over their systems, this isn't a hard thing for them to track.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but now if a customer wants the cheaper box (of either PS or Xbox), GameStop wasn't happy to sell either of those cheaper boxes. But now they do have a reason to sell the XSS. They don't have that same incentive to sell the PS5 DE.

I get that, I just don't think it really matters to Sony if gamestop isn't excited about selling the DE because they'll be selling PS5s like crack anyway.

They've limited allocations of the DE for a reason, and I don't think they'll have problems finding retailers for the limited stock

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
My local EB in AU was plastered with PS5 posters and hanging banners around the pre-order timeframe. Don't recall seeing any such XBox promotion in there. Wondering if anything will change over here considering how much Playstation dominates the Aussie mindshare.

Oct 27, 2017
Parents with children under 12 do that all the time. Almost every time I go into GameStop I see a parent with a kid talking to people and getting sold stuff. GS be hocking used wiis and 360s like crazy

all it takes is "hey I'm looking for a console for my kid to play fortnite and COD". Right away they can either recommend a ps5 or a series S. Then the price difference is a huge factor for parents and boom

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
they are when they can easily stop carrying the consoles or giving very little shelf space to them. they aren't gonna like another company getting this kinda deal while they aren't. i'm only speaking of the big retailers as the smaller retailers ain't gonna be able to demand anything.

Like I said earlier, this isn't feasible. Retailers already get a markup on each console so it's in their best interests to carry them. Plus they make money lifetime from sales of games and accessories.
this GameStop deal is merely an incremental deal for what's likely to be a small percentage of digital revenue, probably in exchange for more storefront visibility, in-store marketing push and complete transition to MS solutions like Azure and Office.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

All the Grandmas that many on this forum kept saying would be confused by the Series X and Series S naming.

Jokes aside, people walk into stores to get access to games. So a dad might walk into the store to buy a console for Minecraft or Fortnite.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
There are tons of people who know nothing about games. I've seen it plenty of times just being in the store.

Hell my sister owns a wii. She came down to my house and say the wii u gamepad and thought it was a wii accessory.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Like I said earlier, this isn't feasible. Retailers already get a markup on each console so it's in their best interests to carry them. Plus they make money lifetime from sales of games and accessories.
this GameStop deal is merely an incremental deal for what's likely to be a small percentage of digital revenue, probably in exchange for more storefront visibility, in-store marketing push and complete transition to MS solutions like Azure and Office.

I remember reading back in the day that profit margins on consoles (at release at least) was effectively $0 with retailers making their profits through game and accessory sales. Could be different today since there does not appear to be as much of a push for bundles nowadays.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Would be funny if they pull old backwards compatible Xbox and 360 games from whatever dusty storage facilities they've kept them to sell them again together with the Series S and X.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lol people are complaining about bias at GameStop when Microsoft is legit helping to save GameStop. The console wars are great keep it going

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There's a difference between going to Microsoft store and expecting them to only talk about XBox and going to GameStop/Target/Game/Whatever and them only pushing one platform for their own benefit.
That's why I used the grocery store (GameStop) analogy where this stuff has been commonplace forever. Do you think you aren't going to be able to buy another brand's products at GameStop now?
<3

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There would need to be some sort of deal where going to Gamestop to buy a digital copy is cheaper than the online store; otherwise, why go through the effort of driving there vice just buying it from one's house?

I think there must be some sort of code embedded in Xbox consoles sold by Gamestop, kind of like an affiliate link within the digital store, that tells the servers that this is a Gamestop Xbox and so Gamestop gets a cut of all the digital sales made on it.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
There's a difference between going to Microsoft store and expecting them to only talk about XBox and going to GameStop/Target/Game/Whatever and them only pushing one platform for their own benefit.
Target doesn't care who buys which video game. They barely give an aisle to video games now anyway.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Talking? Pushing?

Are you upset about which product a store is going to try to sell over others? Seriously?

Do you get angry at store coupons for 75 cents off a 12-pack of 7-up, with an end aisle placement because Pepsi doesn't get the same promotion?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, retailers like push specific brands more than others no matter the type of product. There is nothing illegal about this and if anything I hope it succeeds because Gamestop shutting it's doors would be terrible.

Lol people are complaining about bias at GameStop when Microsoft is legit helping to save GameStop. The console wars are great keep it going
Yeah this is getting ridiculous.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of parents, I'd imagine. You put an Xbox Series S and a PS5D next to each other but give the Xbox more prominent displays and make a bigger deal about the price difference and folks who don't give a damn about what platform their kids play Minecraft on will just grab an Xbox.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's really not much different from the pre-digital age. They'd sell you the box with a low margin and then sell you games throughout its life, from which they'd get a decent cut on each of those sales. Obviously the difference here is they aren't involved in selling the followup goods, but I imagine their cut will also be much smaller. MS has a fair amount of room to play with though because the 30% they get from their digital sales is much more than they got on physical game royalties

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Talking? Pushing?

Are you upset about which product a store is going to try to sell over others? Seriously?

Do you get angry at store coupons for 75 cents off a 12-pack of 7-up, with an end aisle placement because Pepsi doesn't get the same promotion?

Blind brand loyalty is gross.