• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Is it just me, or am I the only person whose experiences with Gamestop haven't been a dystopic nightmare of legbreaking preowned games hocking? Like, I go in store, pick up game, hand game to person behind register, pay money, say "no thanks" to them upselling. It's no different then when Best Buy tries to sign me up for a credit card, or Barnes & Noble wants to know if I want to join their rewards program. The average gamestop worker seems absolutely no more pushy or insidious than any retail employee.

Like I have no particular fondness for Gamestop, and agree they're business model's a dead end in an increasingly digital world, but... their fuckery at the start of the COVID lockdowns aside, I can't say they're any worse than any other retail establishment.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hope microsoft isn't opening up a can of worms with this strategy. imagine if all the retailers come knocking on MS door wanting a piece of the pie. microsoft isn't gonna wanna say no to walmart or best buy. imagine if they want an even bigger piece.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm confused why people think this could be illegal or why Microsoft would agree to this? This is pretty much a marketing deal between the two companies.

Anyway I wonder if GameStop would now to even bother stocking the PS5DE? Right now they're not getting much from at. Also If MS will do a similar deal here with EB games (Aus brunch of GameStop)?
And as for the inshore experience even though they do push things (all retail does this), I've just politely declined and that's been the end of it. And it's good for they employees as their jobs are now more secure.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or am I the only person whose experiences with Gamestop haven't been a dystopic nightmare of legbreaking preowned games hocking? Like, I go in store, pick up game, hand game to person behind register, pay money, say "no thanks" to them upselling. It's no different then when Best Buy tries to sign me up for a credit card, or Barnes & Noble wants to know if I want to join their rewards program. The average gamestop worker seems absolutely no more pushy or insidious than any retail employee.

Like I have no particular fondness for Gamestop, and agree they're business model's a dead end in an increasingly digital world, but... their fuckery at the start of the COVID lockdowns aside, I can't say they're any worse than any other retail establishment.

lol I've always had very normal experiences there. I plan on getting my XSX whenever I can find one in the lower traffic store near me.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyway I wonder if GameStop would now to even bother stocking the PS5DE? Right now they're not getting much from at.

I've got a controller, camera, and headset all preordered at Gamestop that I wouldn't get there if I wasn't also getting my DE from them on launch day.

Oct 21, 2019

Like I have no particular fondness for Gamestop, and agree they're business model's a dead end in an increasingly digital world, but... their fuckery at the start of the COVID lockdowns aside, I can't exactly see them as a uniquely horrible company.

I hope it's not just you. I was on the other side - worked at GS for ten years, store manager.

Some customers would flat our refuse to talk to you at checkout or storm out of the store when you make one "pitch." I say this to say it goes both ways - you're not all easy to transact with, either.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I hope it's not just you. I was on the other side - worked at GS for ten years, store manager.

Some customers would flat our refuse to talk to you at checkout or storm out of the store when you make one "pitch." I say this to say it goes both ways - you're not all easy to transact with, either.

Yikes. Sorry to hear that.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Interesting… wonder how long it is before Best Buy, Walmart etc come knocking for the same cut?

t67443

Oct 30, 2017

People are more likely to remember the shitty experience than the 20 other times that went fine.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Where to start? by law you should tell ppl who paying you to say something?

its Anti Consumer?
its make them Super Biased?
its shows Conflict of Interest?

and it not just Sony, Nintendo

No its not​
They are a company looking to make money, not a neutral bipartisan government agency​
Their interest is in making money, they dont have an obligation to the customer or Sony to push the PS5 "equally"​

Nov 2, 2019
The Reggie effect.

Saved Pizza Hut, VH1, and now GameStop.

But seriously this is good for them. Now let me trade in my physical 360 and XB1 discs for digital codes. I'd even pay a reasonable upgrade fee.

Mar 8, 2018

It's never been a dystopian nightmare, but idk, I've always felt something deeply uncomfortable about walking into a GameStop for a while now (long before covid too). It's not even about their sales practices either. There's something about the way the stores are set up, the clientele they attract, the conversations you overhear, the cramped spaces full of merch, sometimes the approach of the employees, etc., the rubs me the wrong way. It's the same sort of atmosphere that actually deters me from midnight launches and similar gaming events. I feel as if I'm being treated like a child when I walk into a GameStop.

If I'm buying physical these days, I'd rather do it somewhere like BestBuy or Target, or order online.

Nov 13, 2017
So does this mean that if you buy an Xbox from GS, then buy digital games on it, GS will get a piece of that revenue? I wonder how that's going to work? Maybe they log all the serial numbers given to GS?

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
Could this potentially incentivize Gamestop to have deeper discounts or greater trade-in values towards X-box systems? They could eat a little more up front knowing they are getting ongoing downstream revenue.

I wonder how thick the Xbox sales pitches will be in-store.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

"Are you a powerup rewards member?"

No

"Did you know you get a subscription to game informer and a $5 coupon every month for subscribing?"

Yes. I still don't want it.

"Do you want a $2 protection plan on this used game you just paid $10 for?"

No thanks.

"Arnt you worried about lazer burn?" *points to display about lazer burn*

No

"What games are you interested in that are coming out soon?"

Assassins creed

"Oh do you want to preorder that today?"

No

"It's really popular we might run out of copies!"

Then I'll go to target.

I've legit had that convo at gamestop more times then I can count. Most of the time its totally chill but then some asshole manager takes over a store and all of a sudden your getting asked 10 thousand questions when all you want to do is buy a game and get out.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So won't this push GameStop to try to sell more Xbox systems than Sony and Nintendo? Probably having more Zbox stuff and less of the other?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Someone should edit the subtitles and add GameStop to the kids hat.

whats-an-xbox.gif

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where to start? by law you should tell ppl who paying you to say something?

its Anti Consumer?
its make them Super Biased?
its shows Conflict of Interest?

and it not just Sony, Nintendo

Have you ever wondered why end caps at grocery stores are stocked the way they are? How about height on the shelf (eye level vs bottom)?

Retailing is all about getting paid to put things on shelves. As these items won't restock like normal goods this is a way to ensure you get a recurring payment for stocking and pushing goods.

You have a lot to learn about retailing...

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It'll be fun to ask for an employee if they should buy a xbox or a ps5. Really, what's your honest opinion....
Sony is getting the pressure every day.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how does ms varify where you got your console? is it by hardware id? b/c I would never voluntarily tell ms that.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Have you ever wondered why end caps at grocery stores are stocked the way they are? How about height on the shelf (eye level vs bottom)?

Retailing is all about getting paid to put things on shelves. As these items won't restock like normal goods this is a way to ensure you get a recurring payment for stocking and pushing goods.

You have a lot to learn about retailing...
Haha yeah, even the top 10 charts that you see in any store is entirely paid for.
This stuff is as old as the hills, surprising how people are so ignorant to something so longstanding.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how does ms varify where you got your console? is it by hardware id? b/c I would never voluntarily tell ms that.

MS will know which consoles go where and when it is sold by that retailer they will know as well. It will be entered into the system. Going forward when that hardware id makes a digital purchase they get a cut.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
MS will know which consoles go where and when it is sold by that retailer they will know as well. It will be entered into the system. Going forward when that hardware id makes a digital purchase they get a cut.
They now tie game bundle downloads directly to serial numbers.
GameStop will be able to create their own bundles as they do with physical titles and even with preowned consoles.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha yeah, even the top 10 charts that you see in any store is entirely paid for.
This stuff is as old as the hills, surprising how people are so ignorant to something so longstanding.
yup people need to learn basic economics.
basicly what I expected its being done at the divice leval.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think some people believe that stores just stock items in a way because the manager likes it that way. Nope, all is negotiated and the suppliers will come through and check compliance.

Better positioning drives more sales.

The reason that generic cereal is on the bottom shelf is because they don't pay anything for the space which is why their product is so much cheaper.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I had a marketing professor that worked in the grocery industry back when refrigerated dog food was first starting. The grocery stores refused to give fridge space to the dog food companies so they would literally have to buy their own fridges and give them to grocery stores for them to stock their product. I think you still see branded fridges for refrigerated dog food sometimes.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
hope microsoft isn't opening up a can of worms with this strategy. imagine if all the retailers come knocking on MS door wanting a piece of the pie. microsoft isn't gonna wanna say no to walmart or best buy. imagine if they want an even bigger piece.

that's not how this works. Retailers will never really be in a position to demand this type of revenue split for carrying a console.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand the legality behind this. They are literally causing bias in a marketplace that should be equal for all platforms.

Last edited: