• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to be dead in a couple months. This is a last ditch attempt at prolonging the inevitable hoping for a miracle.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
As much as I hate the company, the virus outbreak has contributed to a 20-30% increase in kids playing videogames based on research in Canada and right now Walmart is open and selling games too, and right now unfortunately is the only time people are literally desperate to go into Gamestop and buy games for there kids. Decisions, Decisions. Worst case get all GS employees Hazmat suits and maybe they can keep the stores open.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
THat explains why my local gamestop called saying that i could come up to the store and pay off my preorder for One Piece, after telling me Sunday that was impossible, so instead i opted to get the game digital and pre-purchased on my Switch, i will just use my money from that preorder for Xenoblade i suppose

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Worked there for almost eight years. During a torrential downpour from a hurricane, where a store was literally flooding, he brought buckets to help "scoop out the water". Corporate would always bend over backward for the sale.

Yeah, this company will probably not last through the end of the year.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It would take an enormous effort to instantly put in place (I'm just spitballing, don't take this seriously), but I have to imagine the only way to keep Gamestop employees safe and to also remain in business would be installing a safety deposit box slot into the wall. Customer enters their information on a chip pad attached to the building. Employee on the other side with a monitor can verify the purchase. Drop the console / game / whatever into the box in a way where the employee doesn't have to touch the container itself, slide it to the outside, and be done. Of course, that's absurd. But I'm just trying to paint a mental image for myself of how it *could* work.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We should help bury them by not going into that store while all this shit is going on

you shouldn't be leaving your house anyway just go digital

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's Best Buy for my hardware needs. I hope they do midnight launches

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
From the article

On Sunday, GameStop started limiting its operations to online sales and curbside pickups, and business was booming, said the manager, who worked Monday and said it was busier than he expected it to be. On a conference call discussing Sunday sales, store leaders kept saying, "we earned $2 million in one day," said the manager, who wasn't sure how many stores that involved.

No wonder they're so keen to stay open, jeez. That's wild that so many people have been going to gamestop of all places. Buy digitally people c'mon!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Like people are going to go out for a video game right now in general. How dumb. Even if you can't download online games, I think people would rather buy a game online and have it shipped to them than go to a store and buy games like this. Heck, I don't like to give my credit card to people and let them walk away and scan it without being able to see them, either. I deal with it at restaurants because it's manly custom, but at a game store? No way.
Walmart and Target still have their electronic sections open; you can grab a game and groceries all in one go.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Walmart and Target still have their electronic sections open; you can grab a game and groceries all in one go.

The difference being they just also sell video games in the same location as essential items, as opposed to Gamestop, which exclusively sells video games (and toys and whatnot, but you get what I mean). They should be closed as a whole. Video games are not essential to anyone, and digital purchasing exists.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope EBgames in my country would never follow this same route, cuz it's the last thing I've preordered Persona 5R from that place. (If they intend to do it illegally)

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully Reggie can help to start fixing this burning shit pile next month.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
On the one hand, experts say viruses survive quite easily on plastic bags and containers, and this thread should remind everyone to exercise the same ridiculous caution with plastic bags as you would with social distancing and hand-washing.

On the other, I've seen Seattle businesses do stuff similar to this with bag handling (I continue to walk to stores in my neighborhood that are open for food/coffee while maintaining strict rules about distance and hygiene). All the ones I've seen are mom-and-pop shops desperate to keep customers coming in. Not to say Gamestop is doing the right thing with this mandate handed down from corporate, but it's not coming ENTIRELY out of nowhere.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
GameStop is not cool Amazon is not cool where do I buy my video games now ? Is the the end for me when it comes to disk games ? I like the look of them on my shelf. Times are changing I guess.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The difference being they just also sell video games in the same location as essential items, as opposed to Gamestop, which exclusively sells video games (and toys and whatnot, but you get what I mean). They should be closed as a whole. Video games are not essential to anyone, and digital purchasing exists.
I was arguing against the notion that people aren't wanting to buy video games; they do, and they have the convenience of doing it while they grab their necessities.

Yeah, Gamestop should've been closed from the jump, but that's not the part I was tackling.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
If GameStop is trying to reel in customers, it's not working. This will cause bad PR. But then again, it's America.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That deposit I have on TLOU at my local eb games is as good as gone. No way they make it to may lol

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Desperation. Hey, maybe I'll buy TLOU2 used, the day after release, for $30 if they are so desperate for my cash. All jokes aside this is shameful.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This sounds like something two coworkers would JOKE about, not management being serious.

Thankfully ebgames, at least my local one, isnt as crazy as Gamestop.