• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
www.bostonglobe.com

GameStop to employees: wrap your hands in plastic bags and go back to work - The Boston Globe

GameStop is allowing customers to make purchases from outside the door and is instructing employees to wrap a plastic bag around one hand, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, according to a manager at a local store.

GameStop, the video game retailer, sent employees in Massachusetts back to work on Friday — despite the statewide order shutting down all nonessential businesses. But instead of allowing customers inside, the store is doing curbside pickup, and employees have been given a set of specific and highly unusual instructions to let people pay at the door, according to a manager at a local store.

Workers have been told to wrap a plastic bag around one hand to protect it from exposure to the virus, open the door a crack, and take the customer's credit card, the manager said. Employees are then to run the card with a hand still encased in the bag, flip the bag inside out, leaving the card inside, put the purchase in the bag, and hand it back through the door.

The instructions e-mailed from a district leader to managers on Monday almost seemed like a prank, said the 24-year-old manager, who asked to remain anonymous because he feared retaliation.

The message, titled "Chip card best practices," says: "Lightly (you want to be able to get it off easily) tape a Game Stop plastic bag over your hand and arm. Do not open the door all the way —keep the glass between you and the guest's face — just reach out your arm."

"It's like they're an animal or a pet," said the manager.

The manager said it was "infuriating" that he is being sent to work at a video game store and and being told to protect himself with a plastic bag while a pandemic is raging.

"I have to make a choice between doing a job that nobody needs during a pandemic and not being paid, and possibly infecting people or being infected," he said. "We know for a fact the disease is contagious even when you're asymptomatic."

Get out while you still can Reggie. This company's not worth saving.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
I know this sentiment is fairly common, but as someone who worked there for over 9 years...

...This doesn't surprise me whatsoever. What a shitty fucking company.

Nov 5, 2017
www.bostonglobe.com

GameStop to employees: wrap your hands in plastic bags and go back to work - The Boston Globe

GameStop is allowing customers to make purchases from outside the door and is instructing employees to wrap a plastic bag around one hand, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, according to a manager at a local store.

Get out while you still can Reggie. This company's not worth saving.
Golden parachute. Golden parachute.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GameStop is a textbook example of just how out of touch executives and management really are. This company needs to die. I know that people are worried about the alternative, but either another business steps up and handles trade-ins or we shift towards digital. Putting all of these folks back to work is just needlessly dangerous.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I will first say that I feel for every employee working in a Gamestop store and I want nothing more than for every one of them to find better employment, however unlikely that seems currently. It will get better, and once places start hiring again, there will be more opportunities out there.

Having said that, fucking fuck Gamestop, holy fucking shit. What the fuck.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Since when did a plastic bag protect one from coronavirus? The employees could contract the virus when taking off or putting on the bags.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a prescription today and that exactly how the pharmacist took my card, slid my plastic bag forward, I put my card down, she slid it back and manually entered it. But she was dispensing medicine and not selling video games.

Dan83

Jan 24, 2020
Absolute fools. Don't know what you guy's are doing over the pond, but here in the UK were making a shit list of companies to avoid once this is all over. Hopefully they all go bankrupt

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like people are going to go out for a video game right now in general. How dumb. Even if you can't download online games, I think people would rather buy a game online and have it shipped to them than go to a store and buy games like this. Heck, I don't like to give my credit card to people and let them walk away and scan it without being able to see them, either. I deal with it at restaurants because it's manly custom, but at a game store? No way.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
They're not even giving the bonuses that grocery stores are giving. And continuing to not offer insurance

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it said plastic glove at first, so I imagined a copy of doom eternal (and a credit card) inside of a glove, lmao,

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
Well, not buying from them again. Reggie will have to do many, MANY things to save and redeem GameStop...or, after this news, maybe he should just abandon them. Man oh man.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They somehow keep getting worse. Just shut them all down at this point. This is dangerous.

Nov 1, 2017
Like people are going to go out for a video game right now in general. How dumb. Even if you can't download online games, I think people would rather buy a game online and have it shipped to them than go to a store and buy games like this. Heck, I don't like to give my credit card to people and let them walk away and scan it without being able to see them, either. I deal with it at restaurants because it's manly custom, but at a game store? No way.

Unfortunately if the game is big enough, people will show up...even during a pandemic.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need them to survive until the consoles come out, damnit. I have trade credit that'll pay these machines off grrrrr

May 17, 2018
Genuinely disgusting, but, any chance this is a one-off district manager going rogue? Feel lik we would have heard a lot more if it was nationwide.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If you still have credit with GameStop, use it on POS digital currency cards so they make no more profit, and then be done with them once and for all. Stop enabling their shitty treatment of employees by continuing to shop there.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are EB Games this crazy? I think they might still be open up here during this.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely disgusting, but, any chance this is a one-off district manager going rogue? Feel lik we would have heard a lot more if it was nationwide.

That's my first thought as well, but then there's this bit:

GameStop did not respond to questions about allowing payments at the door and instructing employees to wrap plastic bags around their hands. The company also did not address the fact that its services are not considered essential in Massachusetts. Employees who answered the phone at several area stores confirmed that customers could come to the store and pay with credit cards.

In a statement, the company said: "With employee and customer safety as our paramount concern, all our stores remain closed to customer access, including those in Massachusetts.

So at the VERY least they're acknowledging doing curbside pickup when they're explicitly not an essential service in MA.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Now THAT'S rich. I'd say quit, but given the situation, not a lot of people can do that.. Would every GS employee protesting and not showing up to work accomplish anything?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

You would be surprised. There was people buying stuff at the one over here a few days ago. Passed one when heading to the doctor. Best Buy had a ton of customers too buying things at the front of the store.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The poor way GameStop has handled things is going to speed their demise. What a terrible message.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They should just call it quits. Shut down, open up as a new name and new management. Try again under people that know what the hell they're doing.