• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the situation with the corona virus has probably sealed their fate, not that they had much hope anyways.

Aug 27, 2018
I imagine the situation with the corona virus has probably sealed their fate, not that they had much hope anyways.
I'm pretty sure this is why they were fighting tooth and nail to keep their stores open, going as far as trying to tell police they weren't breaking the law and trying to classify themselves as "essential".

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
With their financial troubles, coronavirus couldn't have happened at a worse time for them. Those next gen console launches was going to make this a crucial holiday.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still hoping enough stores stay open for trade in deals on the new consoles. Their trade in deals on major platform launches are in the ballpark of selling on Craigslist etc. but less risk.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
They still have over 5000 locations. On top of that in my area there are 6 GameStops within 15 minutes of me. There was never a need for them to have this many locations.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
They still have over 5000 locations. On top of that in my area there are 6 GameStops within 15 minutes of me. There was never a need for them to have this many locations.

Yeah, some of their locations are absolutely unneeded. This is right down the road from me:

image.png

There are literally 2 essentially right across the street from each other.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I think Gamestop can survive, they're just going to have to downsize. There's way too many of them.

There are two Gamestop stores on opposing corners of an intersection in my town.

OsA3pZq.png

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
It is wild how they have that many stores but considering how Gamestop became the Gamestop we know it kinda makes sense. They turned all Software Etc, Funcoland's, and EB Games into Gamestops

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Hope mine is good, I still have a gift card to use. I guess I can use it online.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Inevitable. Especially when they had so many stores right next to each other for the longest time. Just because you buy your competitors doesn't mean you keep the stores open if they're two blocks away from your other store in the area.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
I'm pretty sure ive seen the worst of it. there used to two GameStop's on opposite sides of the same mall In NY

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Don't feel much pity for the executives who forced employees to stay in the store during quarantine, but sucks for all the mid/low level employees who are going to be out of a job. Executives will get a golden parachute and the actual workers get shat on.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding out before doing anything with my trade credit. They still have over 5000 stores

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people ITT talking about "buying competition" but, to me, those maps look more like franchising run amok. Quiznos did the same thing where they let too many people franchise with no real thought to how they'd corner markets and it ruined their brand the same way.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
That said, according to the company's CEO, George Sherman, there are plans to meet or possibly exceed this number during this fiscal year, which means there will soon be many GameStop employees out of a job
You see the writing on the walls. Get the hell out of there.
That said, while GameStop ended the fiscal year on a somewhat decent note, the year as a whole was a rough one for the retailer. For the final fiscal quarter, GameStop posted a net income of $21 million. However, for the full fiscal year, revenue was down 22% to $6.47 billion, which translated to a net loss of $470.9 million. Leading to this was a considerable decline in both software and hardware sales. Meanwhile, lessening this decline was a rise of 4% in collectibles
I am no fan of Gamestop and don't feel bad for them. If people work for them, they have to know it's coming. It's been trending down hard for years now.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You see the writing on the walls. Get the hell out of there.

I am no fan of Gamestop and don't feel bad for them. If people work for them, they have to know it's coming. It's been trending down hard for years now.

I very much feel bad for the people working for them, especially since all this is happening right now. People's employment status is often not fluid. People can see what's coming but have no way at all to alter it. My heart very much breaks for the people caught up in all this. It's not the guy at the cash register's fault his district manager makes him hound you for pre orders. If he doesn't do that, he's out a job.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I very much feel bad for the people working for them, especially since all this is happening right now. People's employment status is often not fluid. People can see what's coming but have no way at all to alter it. My heart very much breaks for the people caught up in all this. It's not the guy at the cash register's fault his district manager makes him hound you for pre orders. If he doesn't do that, he's out a job.
I used to work for GameStop so I have my reasons for not feeling sorry for them.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the headlines are misleading when you don't know how many they actually have. They'll still have over 5,000 stores after this. GameStop is gonna struggle, but they will continue to exist.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Not a surprise. I don't think all the bullshit of trying to stay open through the pandemic was because their management was greedy; I think it's because they literally couldn't afford to do otherwise without folding a ton of locations and attempted a Hail Mary.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
GameStop having over 4,000 stores made a lot of sense last decade and before. 2004 through 2011 was the peak of retail video game sales, with the DS, Wii, 360, PS3, PS2 all doing great to insane hardware and software sales, which were +95% retail on 360 and PS3, and 100% on DS, Wii, and PS2.

2012 and onward, the shift to digital was inevitable. DS to 3DS was massively down, Wii to Wii U was abysmal, and you had Xbox wanting to go with a digital focus. Once the two biggest players, Xbox and PlayStation, started seeing digital shares of +20%, that's when the downsizing should have occurred. Now digital is 50% and higher on Xbox and PS, and Switch is following the trend of increasing digital shares every year.

With next gen, that'll start over 50% digital. If Xbox launches the digital only Lockhart, Xbox retail presence will be massively lowered.

GameStop needs to adapt to the market that has been around for almost a decade now. The peak of physical software is long gone.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Man I hope they don't close the one I go to. They have great workers there.